I think I made a huge mistake - Championing

Punisher5784
Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
edited January 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
So I was one of the few players who had numerous duplicate characters. None that were usable but some were very close cover wise. I figured I'd take advantage of the one-time character de-construct.

Here's where I made the mistake and its my own fault. I figured I would "exploit" this de-construct by having CS do it for all of my duplicates. My thought process was I would only champion the covers I don't want. Using Hulk for my example, my duplicate Hulk had 4 Red, I was going to Champion the 4 red and put the remaining 3/0/4 back on my roster. However, CS was smart enough to give me the first cover of all my characters so I received 11 Hulk greens!

Fine, it is what it is, I shouldn't have tried to "cheat" so I was figured I would just make another dup Hulk at 5/0/0. NOPE! The game won't let me make a duplicate!! There's no option that I can see.

So now we can't have duplicate characters once we champion a character?! I do not recall this being mentioned. While many players used dups to conserve Healthpacks. One of my big reasons was for tanking such as SW or IF, I don't want them in the front all the time! So now I can't even have a Maxed character and a soft-caped duplicate? I hate this flawed tanking system as it is and now I am stuck.

Maybe I am wrong and I can create duplicates of Champion characters but I don't see it. With that said, with everything in MPQ be careful, very careful.

Oh and my extra high level champions do roughly the same skill damage as they did before champions was implemented.. But its okay because my Legendary have me my 7th yellow 4* Thor cover (1/5/2)! Oh joy! Lesson learned.

I'm happy CS was able to do this for me but unfortunately I regret it..

Comments

• xdogg
    xdogg Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    Probably have to take a Champion to their max level then you might have the option to recruit them again
  • Punisher5784
    xdogg wrote:
    Probably have to take a Champion to their max level then you might have the option to recruit them again

That's what I'm thinking but that will be take forever and at that point would be useless to have dups cause who knows how the game will change again at that point.

There should be a Star button next to the cover that lets you add to Champ or roster. This was an option if you had two characters, there would be a Star to let you pick one you wanted to train.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think it's just a function of championing, I haven't deconstructed anything, C Storm is championed, can not dupe, Hood is maxed but not championed, can dupe
    89BolUA.png?1
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    I currently have one max champ 2* (thor), plus a free slot available. The next time I get a 2thor cover, I will see if I can get a dup. That will test your theory out.
  • puppychow
    Managed to snag another 2thor cover, and was able to recruit it. So in order to make a dup, your champ has to be maxed first.
  • Punisher5784
    And no one is upset about this? This is okay that we can no longer have dups unless you fully champ a character? I am surprised. I guess the % of players who have dups is small.

It would have been nice if this was communicated. This is why it was great to have IceIX on the forums because he would have answered this question.
  • puppychow
    And no one is upset about this? This is okay that we can no longer have dups unless you fully champ a character? I am surprised. I guess the % of players who have dups is small.

It would have been nice if this was communicated. This is why it was great to have IceIX on the forums because he would have answered this question.

Come one, pun! You should know better than to expect timely disclosure from game devs! icon_twisted.gif Discovering stealth changes w/in the game, and unintended consequences, is part of the adventure! icon_mrgreen.gif

I think most players have issues with deciding what characters to keep, in order to avoid buying slots. Thus, carrying dups is a concern of a very thin slice of the player base.

Am I outraged by this? Hmmm... not really. I think this was implemented to avoid reward exploitation. Otherwise you would have players making dups in order to get 3/4* covers (which is harder to get w/o direct buying via hp now).
  • RoryQ
    RoryQ Posts: 64 Match Maker

I think I'd put this down to an oversight. And I don't think I seen the question asked anywhere, so would have been difficult for IceIX to answer, or anyone else for that matter.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    RoryQ wrote:

I think I'd put this down to an oversight. And I don't think I seen the question asked anywhere, so would have been difficult for IceIX to answer, or anyone else for that matter.

how many people really have dupes.. also they never thought about it. kind of lame but at least the rest of us know now.
  • XandorXerxes
    XandorXerxes Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker

He's a bit of a sorry champion if you'd rather give up on him and make a new weenie than help him get stronger...
  • And no one is upset about this? This is okay that we can no longer have dups unless you fully champ a character? I am surprised. I guess the % of players who have dups is small.
    I think dupes used to be pretty common when there were fewer characters in the rotation, and we only had 5 health packs. Now that we have 10 health packs, more character variety, and the ability to re-spec champions for free.......there is hardly any utility left for dupes.

For me, there is just no way I could justify spending that much ISO to have a character that I only use when it's dupe is down and I'm out of health packs.

About the only exception I can think for this would be to have a 2nd ProfX that doesn't tank blue for winfinite.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Why would you need dupes? Just use healthpacks or a different character. Presumably at this point, you have a huge roster of strong characters. Maybe don't play so much at a time!! icon_e_surprised.gif I don't use dupes, and I'm able to play plenty. When my healthpacks run out, that's usually a sign that I need to go outside or something..
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    Here's where I made the mistake and its my own fault. I figured I would "exploit" this de-construct by having CS do it for all of my duplicates. My thought process was I would only champion the covers I don't want. Using Hulk for my example, my duplicate Hulk had 4 Red, I was going to Champion the 4 red and put the remaining 3/0/4 back on my roster. However, CS was smart enough to give me the first cover of all my characters so I received 11 Hulk greens!

Fine, it is what it is, I shouldn't have tried to "cheat" so I was figured I would just make another dup Hulk at 5/0/0. NOPE! The game won't let me make a duplicate!! There's no option that I can see.

So now we can't have duplicate characters once we champion a character?! I do not recall this being mentioned.

CS email specifically stated that the covers in return for the dupes you wanted will not be the same covers on your dupes as they are meant specifically for championing, which is why you had them deconstructed in the first place, right? If you wanted the dupe, you shouldn't have deconstructed it in the first place.

Since you took this route, I'm thinking that you still can make dupes but now you'll have to wait until you've maxxed the champion you created first. If you had held on to your dupe, you would have been able to have simultaneously that dupe character and the unmaxxed champion version as well.

CS did exactly what you asked them to do: deconstruct dupes one-time for championing purposes.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    This feels like a bug or oversight rather than a deliberate decision. Everybody chill.
  • Talus9952
    Talus9952 Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    Can you not add a duplicate character via the roster itself, via an empty roster spot? I know you can't directly recruit someone if you have a champion, but maybe try adding/opening a roster spot, then clicking on it to choose who to fill it with.
  • halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    Definitely seems like an oversight of a very unusual situation - not another one of those evil D3 conspiracies. I'm sure you that if enough people wanted a way to add a dupe instead of adding champ levels, they would eventually get around to adding that back in. But it's hard to imagine that this applies to very many people. As others have mentioned, ISO is so scarce that most of us would have no interest in pumping resources into a random dupe character.

Admittedly, it's pretty weird that for the hulk, a higher level/hp makes his black passive worse. But most of us get around that by not using hulk very often. Sorry some of the characters aren't as good as others.

Either way, I guess if you stay upset about this, maybe more people will feel the same way and the dupe functionality will come back. But I would be surprised if many people care.
  • Lidolas
    Lidolas Posts: 500
    I just made a dupe Punisher. My original is maxed at 166, not championed. I bought a new roster slot, then went to the cover in my rewards and recruited him. It seemed to work just fine.
  • Punisher5784

He's a bit of a sorry champion if you'd rather give up on him and make a new weenie than help him get stronger...

Why wouldn't someone want two Hulks for Hulk bombing? (e.g. Galactus) I can simply put all of the useless red covers into my champion.

Plus I needed dups for tanking purposes, now my SW is tanking most of the colors she didn't when she was soft-capped. Same with IF. The extra levels did not make them much stronger to make up the difference of using more healthpacks.
  • Punisher5784
    edited January 2016

So now we can't have duplicate characters once we champion a character?! I do not recall this being mentioned.

CS email specifically stated that the covers in return for the dupes you wanted will not be the same covers on your dupes as they are meant specifically for championing, which is why you had them deconstructed in the first place, right? If you wanted the dupe, you shouldn't have deconstructed it in the first place.

Since you took this route, I'm thinking that you still can make dupes but now you'll have to wait until you've maxxed the champion you created first. If you had held on to your dupe, you would have been able to have simultaneously that dupe character and the unmaxxed champion version as well.

CS did exactly what you asked them to do: deconstruct dupes one-time for championing purposes.

Actually CS worded it as "Your duplicates will be deconstructed for "Championing purposes"." they did not specifically state I would only receive 1 color for all of the covers. I am not mad at CS, and I admitted it was my own fault. I am annoyed that we can no longer make dups once the character is championed.
  • kalex716
    kalex716 Posts: 184
    Your first sign it was a mistake should have been the fact that CS was all to eager to give you the covers back in the first place.

There's no way those guys are ever able to actually do anything that helps us out.