Feedback on Deadpool's Daily - approaching 1 year

Billigoat
Billigoat Posts: 71
edited January 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
As a daily activity intended for all players and the most efficient way of earning ISO, it's a bit surprising that so little attention has been given to DDQ for almost an entire year.

(note: the 4* match is a welcome addition, but it is not daily activity - this is specifically regarding the matches that refresh every day and are required to earn the full ISO reward)

It's possible I'm alone in this, but I find 4/5 of the DDQ matches tedious and mostly done as a daily chore. I think the reasons boil down to...

A) The formula hasn't changed in over 300 days

B) To earn the final reward, ALL players, regardless of their roster, must complete a match that is designed for people who have been playing less than a week ("That Guy From That Place")

Really, it's all about (B). 4/5 of the matches are not interesting at all for anyone with a couple of maxed 2* characters. (edit: original post said 'challenging') For 'The Big Enchilada' match, I have to at least pay attention. But for the other 4, it's really just a tedious grind that takes about 10-15 minutes of time and waiting for animations to complete.

You might suggest: "Don't play it if you think it's boring."

Personal note: I agree, and stopped playing the dailies for awhile, but as I wasn't progressing any of my characters, I eventually stopped playing the game entirely for a couple months - not out of anger or protest, but simply because there wasn't much to look forward to. My friend told me about the new Champion system, which brought me back in for the past week. It's a really cool feature, but... I'm kind of in the same boat as before. You need ISO to play and ISO is a tedious thing to earn.

DDQ turns 1 this Feb 20th and I think that'd be a great opportunity to implement something new. Obviously something major would be really cool (see Hearthstone's Tavern Brawl - they did some cool stuff there), but really just a change in formula would be welcome at this point.

Anybody have any ideas? Feedback? I know a lot of players are frustrated that there aren't more ways to earn more ISO, but I haven't noticed any threads from people who are more frustrated with the DDQ grind itself. I might be alone in that icon_e_biggrin.gif

Comments

• Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'll take "tedious & achievable" over "interesting & impossible" thanks.

That said, DDQ is still the most interesting content that Demiurge have created in at least a year - probably closer to 18 months.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    DDQ is my place to try interesting combos, or characters that I don't play very often. As you said, the fights are pretty easy, so I don't mind going in with less than my best. I've even used Moonstone in the 2* node.

And 15 minutes for 3500-4500 ISO? Yes, please. I just wish I could do them over and over again for a series of awards instead of just 1 reward per node. The best thing to happen to MPQ last year.
  • Orion wrote:
    DDQ is my place to try interesting combos, or characters that I don't play very often.
    This is exactly where I think 'Big Enchilada' succeeds. It's challenging for young players with only 2*, and it poses enough of a 3* challenge (with a robust 3* roster) that players can try out interesting strategies and combos they wouldn't try elsewhere. I think that is exactly what a daily challenge should do.

But as for the 1-2* matches, have you not already tried out every combo for 1-2* characters in your roster by now? Sure it'd be fun to try Moonstone or Bags, but I haven't had them on my roster past level 15 for awhile now. And with ISO being so high in demand, putting ISO into new 2* characters solely for the dailies seems counterproductive.

A quick idea to encourage combo-experimentation using technology that already exists...

Have a character loaner in those matches, like in PVP and PVE. New players get a nice overview of what's out there. We all get to have fun with bag-man or Moonstone for a day icon_e_biggrin.gif Or loan a high level 1* character, or low-level 3/4* character...
  • QuizB
    QuizB Posts: 35
    Suggestion: I'd create a branch system in the DDQ so you can go after the star level you need.

Fight 1 is always That Guy.
    But then, you pick the pathway you want to take. Completion of the pathway would net you the 2000 iso progression (or higher for 4s, because 2000 for a 4 is not enough for one level at high/mid range). For the 3 and 4 star level it'd be gated, so you need the appropriate character just like you do now for the 3*.

2*: Under The Sea and the other one (I just call it the 1000 iso node, or "Damnit not Loki AGAIN"). 2000 iso and 1 Taco token.

3*: That needed character node and the BE. 2000 iso, 2 Tokens and 1 3* cover.

4*: Crash of Titans, leading to a survival node ala BE. 4000 iso, 3 Tokens and 1 4* cover or LT.

You can only do one of the above everyday.

(I totally doubt this will ever be done, because a) programming and b) they don't want you to earn 4*s too quickly...yet)
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    How about an (almost) never-ending Galactus node that you can play once or maybe twice a day that will give you victory and progression rewards. He could have a bazillion health and slowly get stronger each week.
  • Redrobot30
    Redrobot30 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    And 15 minutes for 3500-4500 ISO? Yes, please. I just wish I could do them over and over again for a series of awards instead of just 1 reward per node. The best thing to happen to MPQ last year.[/quote]

Took the words out of my mouth. This is easily the best way to accrue Iso. Yeah, it would be great if we could play it multiple times a day, sure. Now with Champions it's also a great way to get guaranteed 3* covers and I don't get all ticked off when I pull that "used to be" wasted 2* card when I pull from the vault.
  • wirius
    wirius Posts: 667
    As a person who has a lot of experience with online multiplayer, let me tell you a truth as undeniable as the air you breath. Never, EVER, make daily's challenging.

Here's the thing, a one time run, or accomplishing a big task requires challenge and thought. But when you're done and you barely get the win, very few people want to do that again, and again daily.

A daily is about efficiency. THAT is the challenge, and very few people want more than a challenge of efficiency.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    DDQ is a pretty good testing ground for different team compositions. It is also a way to see how the game devs' "adjustments" affect the game overall, such as 2* surviving Jug's headbutt or full health opponents surviving DP's whale.

If you have a roster that can fully clear all ddq nodes, you get 3,700 iso, 2 tacos, and a 3* cover. Really not a bad deal for 15 minutes of play.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    We're getting to the point where bad 3 stars are barely worth the roster space, may be time to let big enchilada be able to be done without the previous node.

That way the person looses a taco and a chunk of iso instead of 2 nodes AND a final reward.
  • boldfacedfemme
    boldfacedfemme Posts: 227 Tile Toppler
    How about an (almost) never-ending Galactus node that you can play once or maybe twice a day that will give you victory and progression rewards. He could have a bazillion health and slowly get stronger each week.

You have my attention.
  • alphabeta
    alphabeta Posts: 469 Mover and Shaker
    Please god let them leave it alone - it's a quick and easy way of earning some ISO - odds are any 'improvements' will ruin it and given the deficiencies in other play types I'd far rather they left ddq well alone and concentrated on new pve or epilogue or pvp feature
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    For the most part, it's fine as is. Seems some people are forgetting or ignoring the low challenge makes it better for newer players to grow their rosters and iso.

Only changes I'd like to see are:

Clash of the Titans ran more often. Maybe every other day, seeing as were closing in on 30 4*.

Another thing I think would help is something similar to the daily reward for DDQ. Everyday you clear the event you gain some kind of reward. Start low with small amounts of iso that get larger the more often you clear it, throw in some extra taco tokens, HP, Cmd Pts, and maybe even a cover here and there. It'll help grow newer players roster quicker and give another reason to come back and play daily.
  • All I can think about here is - "let's not mess with the one thing in the game that is actually working REALLY well".

Everything in MPQ is tedious after a time. If we're being real, there is only so much that can be done in a match 3 game to keep it fresh.

DDQ, especially after the introduction of championing characters is a valuable part of the game for every player level, except perhaps the upper tier super mega whales. And even then for those players, it provides a quick and easy diversion. I mean, at least half of my 3* covers came from DDQ.

Also, that node that is referenced as being for players in their first week in the game? One of the best ISO rewards in the game. That 30 seconds a day is good enough for 182,500 ISO a year all by itself, plus an additional 730,000 as a component in the 2,000 completion bonus. In a game where it is insanely hard to get quality amounts of ISO, this a HUGE amount.

Considering the number of other rounds that we all play for a measly 20 ISO, I'm perfectly happy to keep a slot open for Juggernaut and break him out every day. I kind of like that he gets more use than at least half of my other rostered characters.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    A daily chore is right.

I've felt this way for a very long time now and have whined about it on LINE more than once icon_razz.gif

Don't get me wrong, I still like what DDQ brings to the game in terms of roster diversity nodes and great rewards. It's wonderful to have a use for 1* and 2*'s again. We just need more variety to spice things up. If nothing else, the current state of DDQ makes me wish they release that 'auto-battle' feature mentioned in a surveyed last year.
  • Berserk_Al
    Berserk_Al Posts: 411 Mover and Shaker
    I was about to suggest an optional Galactus node that doesn't affect the DDQ progression, and you are supposed to lose, but at the end you get ISO-8 for each turn you lasted, and for all AP collected (with the AP left at the end giving more points than the AP spent). Maybe a CP prize for those who actually manage to not lose.
  • _Ryu_
    _Ryu_ Posts: 149
    Best feature in the game, period!

Easy iso, easy 3*s collecting... and alot of Deadpool esprit.

Only dont get the thinking behind the reverse 4* node, seriously shoundt it be own 3* against Dev 4*. Think I have way better chances to finish a lvl 270 4* with my lvl 166 3*s then with my lonely covered 4*s against lvl 270 3*s.

But still in the end the best thing in the game ever.

P.S.
    Its nice to think about other daily/weekly challenging activities, maybe a reverse wave battle against some overpowered enemies (Galactus) 3x3 own heros/villians till every one is defeated and in the end the damage you did is gven back in iso.

Or do Deadpools litte iso farm. Deadpool sows little iso plants, Groot scares away the birds, Hawkguy is on the watchtower looking out for invaders out of Latveria and next day Wolvie harvest the iso with his adamantium claws. Do it as a Facebook game like other already did and fine it is.
  • Without DDQ I would not be here. Probably would have uninstalled last July/August.
  • bpcontra
    bpcontra Posts: 176
    Nobody has been discussing ddq because it's fine as is.
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor

I love this idea, or at least the kernel of this idea. A Galactus node that runs for the week. You can play it as many times as you want, but the progression rewards and points from each play are not cumulative. Meaning, your score from each run is not saved and added to the next run, and the progression rewards are static so you have to continually do better each run to get the higher rewards.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    GMadMan040 wrote:
    All I can think about here is - "let's not mess with the one thing in the game that is actually working REALLY well".

Exactly. It is one of the few things in this game that isn't broken. Don't fix it. If you must do something, change ddq4 to being daily as well.