I signed up for a game, not a lottery

Raffoon
Raffoon Posts: 884
edited January 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
It used to be that with enough time and effort you could guarantee progress on your roster.

If you ran into some bad luck or wanted to finish a character faster, you could spend some HP at a real world value of $13 (2500 HP) to get an extra cover. This was NOT an insignificant amount of money for a mobile game transaction, considering that entire games could be had for less.

Then, 5*s came along. Suddenly, progress in the game was reduced to a lottery.

So, I ask the developers: How the hell am I supposed to progress my roster? I've opened almost 100 legendary tokens at this point and still have only 3 5* covers to show for it. Meanwhile, people opening half as many tokens have progressed more than 3 times as fast as me on average. On average, people that have opened the same number of tokens as me are getting to enjoy a new tier of character, while I'm stuck in the same spot with nothing to show and no recourse.

Oh, that's right. I can level my Hulkbuster to level 271. Great!! That extra level is really helpful against the level 345-375 Old Man Logans I see in queue.

Of course, there are the extra Legendary tokens that came with Championing as well. Those are so helpful too. It means that I get more Legendary tokens to NOT DRAW ANY MORE 5*s with. That was a great help.

Oh hey, maybe I should spend a few thousand dollars on a mobile game so that I can open up 100 more Legendary tokens and run the chance of still not opening any 5*s. As evidenced by posters on this forum, others have done that.

I've spent large amounts of money on this game. I've spent more time and effort than I should have, and prioritized ending times and grinding times over real life things. Yet here I am, despite this, with no way to actually progress in the game.

We've given feedback about this again and again. Our words fall on deaf ears that are supposedly listening. I suppose they must be too busy listening to do anything about it, or even acknowledge the issue.

(*Admin: Removed the last line as it contained a verbal attack on the devs. Insulting others is against forum rules. Please keep posts constructive.)

Comments

• Dwarfsteel
    Dwarfsteel Posts: 55 Match Maker
    Did you ever consider that 5*'s are being distributed exactly how D3 intends for the time being? Look, I get that you're frustrated with your luck and so are many others, but posting essentially the same thing every few days, wishing ill will on the developers, and calling them names will net you exactly nothing.

I also understand from your posts that you've invested precious time and money into this game. So have a lot of the rest of us. We're all subject to the mercy of RNG at every tier. Love it or hate it, it's one of the core mechanics of the game. Always has been and likely always will be.

The game simply isn't ready for 5*'s to be more easily available. In time they will be just like the other tiers. If you're that far ahead of the curve in all the other tiers, maybe it's time to take a break or take a more leisurely approach to the game. Hoard your ISO and tokens until the game catches up with you.

As it is now, the game will not get better from the viewpoint you're wanting. I get that it's hard when you've invested apparently so much. It's also how the game works. To get you hooked due to that investment. Because you've put so much in it's hard to walk away or take a break because you'll feel like you're missing out. In a sense for you it's like a bad relationship. You refuse to walk away because of that investment and hold on to hope things will get better. The truth is (at least for the foreseeable future) it's not going to change.
  • wirius
    wirius Posts: 667
    You may misunderstand the point of 5*'s. They're supposed to be shiny carrots on that stick for you to want, but not to actually have. Its the hook to keep you in the game when your 4* roster is nearing its max. That's all. If the hook isn't worth it to you, don't play. But they're not going to change it, because the hook is working very well for others.
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    I don't want a higher general rate for the 5*s, or for them to be more easily available. I want them to be given out in a more consistent manner.

Let's say tomorrow the developers decide to give half the players 1 million ISO for no reason. That wouldn't make much sense, right? Half the players get a giant bonus for no reason at all, other than landing on the right end of a coin flip.

It's the same principle here. If two players each earn 100 Legendary tokens, which represents a substantial investment into the game in some combination of time/effort/money, then to have one player get 3 5*s while another gets 15 is absurd. It's a poorly designed system that they should fix.

Bringing up the issue in a constructive manner doesn't seem to do much, so why continue to offer suggestions and solutions when they don't take them into account?

They took what should be a great thing and ruined it. So yeah, that seems deserving of some ill will.
  • Raffoon wrote:
    I don't want a higher general rate for the 5*s, or for them to be more easily available. I want them to be given out in a more consistent manner.

I think we need to be patient.

I recall when there were only 03x 4* - IW, Fury and XFWolvie, they weren't easily available as well, unlike how now we are essentially given a 4* for hitting 1,000 and 1,300 points in pvp.

I can't speak for D3 but I feel that the point of 5* at this time is supposed to be completely based off dumb luck in acquiring them anyway, since there aren't enough to be reasonably placed as rewards for events.

I'm sure that somewhere down the road when there're 8 or 9x 5* available, they'll probably be placed in PVP rewards at 2,500 points or something.

Also as far as I'm concerned, I don't mind them being completely randomised for now, since the meta for being able to hit 1,300 and up is completely doable with 4* at this time.

Perhaps I would be more peeved if this turns out to be untrue somewhere down the road where you actually NEED 5* to be able to hit progressions and place reasonably well in PVP (which isn't such a big deal to me, since I already have all the 3* fully covered at this point.)

As much as I (and many others) understand your frustration, perhaps taking a step back and analysing the situation of PVP now would help with your anger somewhat.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dwarfsteel wrote:

The game simply isn't ready for 5*'s to be more easily available. In time they will be just like the other tiers. If you're that far ahead of the curve in all the other tiers, maybe it's time to take a break or take a more leisurely approach to the game. Hoard your ISO and tokens until the game catches up with you.

You are missing the point completely, the game is already filled with 5s. I don't know at what level you play PvP, but once you are over 1000 you see SS and OML 330+ lvl ALL THE TIME. So the problem is some people have more 5s than other people, just because they were lucky! That is a very big problem!!!
    Raffoon wrote:

Of course, there are the extra Legendary tokens that came with Championing as well. Those are so helpful too. It means that I get more Legendary tokens to NOT DRAW ANY MORE 5*s with. That was a great help.

Completely agree, I thought exactly the same. I am currently with a streak of 50 LTs pulls without a 5, and the only thing I can say is THIS IS A ****!
    Deadpooool wrote:

Patient, why ?!?!?!?! I play JUST for 5s (and now also for iso), If I can't get 5s, then why am I playing ?!?!?!? (very good question indeed...).
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    edited January 2016
    We should just all get 5*s.
    Open a standard token? Boom, 5*
    Make 1 point in PvP? Wipe off that sweat, soldier, its 5* time.
    Lost in PvP? You obviously don't have enough 5*s, so here's another.
    PvE node too hard? Avast, matey, 5* off of the port bow!
    Cleared the node with the loaners against level 50 goons? Those goons were the gooniest of the goon squad. Here is a 5* as a reward.
    Complained on the forum? Here is a 5* cover to dry your tears.
    Spent a dollar? Have a 5*!
    Spent two dollars? Holla holla, heres two 5*s for your dollars.
    Spent 50 dollars? Here is three maxed out 5*s for your troubles.
    Collected your daily reward? You mean your daily dose of 5*! Heyoo *airhorns*
    Finally struggled and beat pyromantic? Upon his corpse he seems to be holding a 5*! Loot it!
    Didn't turn on your game? Don't worry buddy, here is a 5* waiting in the microwave.
    Just installed the game? You don't need to know the rules, just know this 5* is yours!
    Made a match 3? OH BABY A TRIPLE 5* COVER!
    Made a match 4? Well then this 5* cover is a perfect match-4 you!
    Made a match 5? 5 stands for 5*s, which is what you'll be getting!
    Used an ability? Cool! Know what else has abilities? 5* characters! WOOP WOOP!
    Made top 10000 in a lightning round? Celebrate with an ice cold bottle of 5*!
    Not enough iso to level your 5*s? Don't worry, here is a 5*. Sell it and collect its iso essence!
    You beat a node, not once but TWICE? Wow man, forget this 20 iso, here is a 5* cover.
    You beat the first mission of prologue! For reading comprehension, we award you this 5* cover. You've earned it.
    You've been playing for 2 days in a row! Pat yourself on the back with this 5* cover!
    Oh no, Tony Stark has been kicked out of his own office! Luckily, he kept his collection of 5* covers, and gives you one!

5*, its whats for dinner.
  • Dwarfsteel wrote:
    Did you ever consider that 5*'s are being distributed exactly how D3 intends for the time being?

That would be an appropriate response to a complaint that the aggregate drop rate is too low. But what Raffoon is posting about is that his personal record of 5* draws is far lower than the average rate. Specifically, assuming that he drew 100 LTs under the 10% post-OML rate, his yield of 3 is lower than 99.2% of all potential outcomes. Which sucks. It's the disparity between the general case and specific cases that is the constant source of ire on the forums and in a competitive game like MPQ, it's hard to fault that discontent.
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares wrote:
    Dwarfsteel wrote:

You are missing the point completely, the game is already filled with 5s. I don't know at what level you play PvP, but once you are over 1000 you see SS and OML 330+ lvl ALL THE TIME. So the problem is some people have more 5s than other people, just because they were lucky! That is a very big problem!!!
    Raffoon wrote:

Completely agree, I thought exactly the same. I am currently with a streak of 50 LTs pulls without a 5, and the only thing I can say is THIS IS A tinykitty!
    Deadpooool wrote:

Patient, why ?!?!?!?! I play JUST for 5s (and now also for iso), If I can't get 5s, then why am I playing ?!?!?!? (very good question indeed...).

Punctuation

Punctuation everywhere
  • boldfacedfemme
    boldfacedfemme Posts: 227 Tile Toppler
    This is funny to me. Why, you ask?

Because every time I open a LT I pray to RNGesus that I DON'T pull a 5*. I'm still working on my 4* transition. I know I'm not ready for 5*. I've pulled only one. Sold it without any hesitation. I like my scaling right where it is. Now when my champions start getting higher up, then I might keep a 5* that comes my way.
  • Tenaciousdecaf
    Tenaciousdecaf Posts: 71 Match Maker
    As someone with a history of 56 straight draws without a 5*, I completely understand your frustration. I am completely outclassed by 99% of the player base with better luck than me.

I find your title completely hysterical, though.

Unlike you, I still completely enjoy this game on a daily basis. This is a game you signed up for, not a store where tangible goods or services are provided for money spent. The comment above about this being a relationship is especially fitting, and I strongly believe that you need to take a break in order to step back reassess what makes you happy. This game clearly does not.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Poor token draws? Two words for you - re-roll icon_e_smile.gif

As long as you have ponied up its all good.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    As someone with a history of 56 straight draws without a 5*, I completely understand your frustration. I am completely outclassed by 99% of the player base with better luck than me.

I find your title completely hysterical, though.

Unlike you, I still completely enjoy this game on a daily basis. This is a game you signed up for, not a store where tangible goods or services are provided for money spent. The comment above about this being a relationship is especially fitting, and I strongly believe that you need to take a break in order to step back reassess what makes you happy. This game clearly does not.

This is sound advice.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Unless the part where "I signed up" means you're under contract to play this game, quitting remains an option.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    But I thought everyone loves the randomness of opening tokens.. no? Perhaps the devs are mistaken on what we want/like

I am still curious in seeing a Legendary vault. I hope we hear news on the new 4* (with less % for 5*) token for 20 CP, perhaps one will be a vault so we have options if we want regular token openings or vault openings.
  • Dimh
    Dimh Posts: 50 Match Maker
    Raffoon wrote:
    So, I ask the developers: How the hell am I supposed to progress my roster? I've opened almost 100 legendary tokens at this point and still have only 3 5* covers to show for it. Meanwhile, people opening half as many tokens have progressed more than 3 times as fast as me on average. On average, people that have opened the same number of tokens as me are getting to enjoy a new tier of character, while I'm stuck in the same spot with nothing to show and no recourse.

Your sample size is way too low. Let's talk when you get to 10,000 LT and remain at 3% draw rate.

edit> I apparently do not know how to quote things properly...
  • moogles85
    moogles85 Posts: 186 Tile Toppler
    Apparently you didn't get the memo...

You're supposed to lose.
  • Dwarfsteel
    Dwarfsteel Posts: 55 Match Maker
    Polares wrote:
    Dwarfsteel wrote:

Raffoon wrote:

Completely agree, I thought exactly the same. I am currently with a streak of 50 LTs pulls without a 5, and the only thing I can say is THIS IS A tinykitty!
    Deadpooool wrote:

I'm not missing the point. Raffoon wants 5*'s to be more available than they currently are or to have his pull percentage be on par with the posted rates. One of the points I was making was that his bad luck is no different at the 5* tier than we all experience at every tier of the game. Tokens ARE a lottery plain and simple. Always have been. In every lottery there are winners and losers. It sucks he's been on the losing end for so long, but it's just how this game is. Doesn't matter what the odds are you are never guaranteed to win, your are never guaranteed to meet the odds no matter how many times you play. If a lottery has a 1 in 1000 odds and you buy 1000, 2000, 10,000, etc. tickets you can still lose. It sucks, but it can happen. Doesn't mean the lottery is broken. If it's not living up to your expectations it's time to cut your losses and move on or suck it up and enjoy what you can.

I have zero Hulkbusters, zero Iron Fists, zero Prof X's, zero Jean Greys, etc. etc. I can't compete in a lot of the echelons this game offers. I haven't been in the game for very long comparitively to ALOT of the players on here, but I understand how this game works. I can choose to live with it or move on. I know that when I reach the point where you guys are there will be a whole other tier and level of competitiveness that I won't be a part of. Likely I'll always be behind the top tier. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy the game. If I ever reach a point where I feel I can't progress or stop enjoying the game I'll move on or take a break until it starts to feel like my time and money is worth it.

Everyone can't be number one. Not everyone can compete for number one. There will always be people "luckier" than you. There will always be people richer than you. There will always be people who have or can can put more time than you into the game. Again, that's how this game works and it's also human nature. We all (well most of us) want to be the best and we all (again most of us) feel like we're behind the next guy. This game feeds on that. It's what drives sales.

This game will eventually open the tap on 5*'s and when it does those who "are only playing for 5 *'s" will be first in line to catch up to the luckier/richer players as they're progress slows. There are only 3 - 5*'s in the game currently. It's not like those who have them are 20, 50, 100, etc. characters ahead of you. Sure it feels that way sometimes, but it's not. Hoard your ISO so that when the day comes that 5 *'s are easier to get you can quickly "catch up". It's all just a matter of changing your perspective on the game for the time being or step away. The game isn't going to change for you any time soon.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dimh wrote:
    Your sample size is way too low. Let's talk when you get to 10,000 LT and remain at 3% draw rate.

edit> I apparently do not know how to quote things properly...
    And you also don't know how to make relevant points, if you think anyone is going to be earning 10,000 tokens.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    The RNG gods feast on your tears
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dwarfsteel wrote:
    I'm not missing the point. Raffoon wants 5*'s to be more available than they currently are or to have his pull percentage be on par with the posted rates.
    That's not what he said at all. He already explicitly told you in a followup he does NOT want them to be more available or any changes to pull rates, and yet you claim you're not missing the point. You clearly are, when you continue to put words in his mouth that contradict what he was saying.