Regarding iso income

WelcomeDeath
WelcomeDeath Posts: 349 Mover and Shaker
edited January 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
So, since championing started, I've done the math on how much iso I need to earn to champion my 3* (not going to do 2*, too much investment for the rewards at this point). Just to level my 3* based on my personal iso income of 100k per week, I would be done in mid april. Add the cost to champion, we're talking may/june. In the meantime I couldn't level and 4* I get covers for and would fall behind. Live the champion idea, just need to adjust other areas a bit. Some suggestions:

1.50 iso for a pve non-proprietary reward. Think most would agree with this. Keep prologue the same so vet players can't farm 1000 iso in 20 mins doing the 1st node. At current 20 iso, you'd have to do a node about 150 times to add a level to a 4*(avg 3000 per level assumed). Little ridiculous. This would keep iso earning at a reasonable rate and make people happier.

2. Earn all 4 rewards for pve earn able before earning the new 50 iso standard reward. Or make it vault like with some premium rewards and some standard 50 iso (max 10 rewards). Still may have to grind for that cp, but at least there's an end in sight.

3. Minimum 100 iso for a pvp win. Not much of a change here, but every little bit counts.

4. Increase iso progression rewards by at least 50% in pvp and pve. Also, give us some more reward drops from 3* (old max prog) to legendary (new max prog) in pve. It seems like it takes forever to get to next single reward there. Even if it's a smaller reward, just something. Finally, in regards to progression awards, make 2 rewards at 1100 and 1200 in pvp. More people will push and maybe spend a shield if it's just a little higher than they're used to getting.

5. Lightning rounds all week. I work during the week (and so does everyone that spends money on this game) and I'm only able to do a couple LR per week. Make it a constant thing, people would love the chance to actually participate.

We need a LOT more iso than we've needed as a player base. While everyone is very excited about championing, this may frustrate a lot of players. Progress rates will slow down considerably if nothing is done. People will get bored and leave. Love this game and I know it's designed so that you're never "finished", but with new 4* being released every 2 weeks, nobody ever will be. Please, devs, help us out. People have been clamoring for many of these changes for a long time. You want to make quality of life changes, this should be in the top 5, not on the back burner forever. Upvote if you want to see these changes!

Comments

• I was really excited about championing, but at the current iso rate, and cost to champion i'm feeling a bit burned out now rather then excited.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    We were very fortunate last year when they reduced the Iso level cost but I doubt they will increase the iso flow much more.. they have officially extended the 3*/4* extension to get another year out of us. You just have to be smart with who you spend iso on, moreso now than ever. The devs will simply say there's plenty of Iso in the champion levels, which is more than the cost of selling a cover, avoiding the fact that we need iso to max level them and more to champion. We'll see how they handle this now that it is live.

The one thing that does suck is that I was leveling my uncovered 4*'s to try to compete in 4* DDQ, now looking back it was a waste of Iso since it still didn't help me win many battles.
  • WelcomeDeath
    WelcomeDeath Posts: 349 Mover and Shaker
    The devs will simply say there's plenty of Iso in the champion levels, which is more than the cost of selling a cover, avoiding the fact that we need iso to max level them and more to champion.

They may try to say that, but it's just not true. The cost to champion a 2* is 5000. If you take the amount of iso you get from championing an already maxed 2* to level 144 level and subtract the amount you'd get for just selling all those covers, there's only an extra 5000 iso. So you just get back what you put in, no more. Same with 3* (don't know about 4*, but would like to), imagine it's the same. At least with those you'll get characters you can use in pvp, but no real additional iso. It's all smoke and mirrors.
  • The devs will simply say there's plenty of Iso in the champion levels, which is more than the cost of selling a cover, avoiding the fact that we need iso to max level them and more to champion.

They may try to say that, but it's just not true. The cost to champion a 2* is 5000. If you take the amount of iso you get from championing an already maxed 2* to level 144 level and subtract the amount you'd get for just selling all those covers, there's only an extra 5000 iso. So you just get back what you put in, no more. Same with 3* (don't know about 4*, but would like to), imagine it's the same. At least with those you'll get characters you can use in pvp, but no real additional iso. It's all smoke and mirrors.

But you can sell the covers that you get from the tokens, so it is a net gain in iso. You also get HP, which if you wanted you could spend on tokens and again sell covers from. You also increase the sale price of the character with every champion level (at least as far as I've got) so in a few rare cases you can gain extra iso for championing a character you were eventually going to sell anyway.

At the end of the day, the championing feature has given players a net gain in ISO. It's not made the ISO situation worse, but it has drawn more attention to it than there was and created the illusion of a worse strain on ISO by incentivising level maxing.

If there's any smoke and mirrors going on, it's having the opposite of the effect you describe.

Having said that, yes the ISO levels needed to max all 3*s are ridiculous. I think I'm within about 2 or 3 weeks of having enough ISO to bring 38 3*s to level 130, then it's maybe 70k ISO to go from 130 to 166? At 5k a day from DDQ only I could max 2 3*s this [edit: "month" (oops, but it's still not good)].

Put another way, I'm about 3 weeks from retiring from this game once I've satisfied my OCD target of getting all 3*s to the same level.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    The devs will simply say there's plenty of Iso in the champion levels, which is more than the cost of selling a cover, avoiding the fact that we need iso to max level them and more to champion.

To compound the issue, how the heck are you going to get 50 or 100 covers for a character? The answer is. .. cover packs! Hence, this is a sneaky way by the publisher to increase sales of 10/40 pks. Those fiends! icon_twisted.gificon_mrgreen.gificon_lol.gif
  • As stated above the reason Championing has come about is it gives us all something else to play towards now. It would be a bit counterproductive of them to then make it much easier for us to get there.

As much as I would like more ISO in this game, that doesn't take away from this being a very welcome change on its own.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Championing has given me a new goal: max/champion all the 3*'s! (Most? I still am not sure I can stomach doing it to Beast, Doc Oc, Quicksilver, and others that we could argue about like Storm or Vision)

ISO drip had already eliminated any "let's level all the 4*'s!" ideas out as a goal, sadly. Shoot, I'm down to goal "Can I get all the 4*'s to level 200 before the 2* players drive me out of the game with their vast superiority at RNG 5*?"
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm pretty sure champions are an elaborate and insidious practical joke, designed to secretly make worse the two problems that have been complained about for ages (ISO and scaling).
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    firethorne wrote:
    I'm pretty sure champions are an elaborate and insidious practical joke, designed to secretly make worse the two problems that have been complained about for ages (ISO and scaling).
    That would require planning and forethought, rather than the usual process of us getting reamed by unintended consequences...
  • CubRob
    CubRob Posts: 74 Match Maker
    I agree that ISO rewards should be increased, but I see this as only a temporary stall in levelling. I already have 11 characters championed, and you only have to promote them once. I expect that I will have all my maxed characters promoted within a month and the ISO will flow again...
  • Azoic
    Azoic Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    I was about to post about the iso problem as well. I think I have about 20 characters between 125-145. A few 4* sitting between 220-250. The iso needs were horrible before this, and now even worse.

Please D3, the initial idea behind double-iso for the anniversary was great, but then it wasn't active for 2 pvp events. However, when it was working, it felt great. It felt like I could make progress. The day 1 vets don't have as big of a problem, since they were able to max characters as they came. I started about a year ago, and still waaay behind despite playing everyday. I can't imagine if someone started today.

All iso gains should be at least doubled across the board, probably tripled (or at least more special events/nodes giving great iso awards). Even doubling it, I would still not catch up, but at least it would help a bit. Or don't release a new character for 5 months?

I play Dungeon Boss, and so many great things they offer would be great to see in this game...and guess what? I still give them my money. I feel like I owe them something for what they give me. I stopped spending on this game. Dungeon Boss has daily events offering tokens for characters, ways to evolve characters, earn their currency (if you complete the tower everyday, you earn enough gems--think CP/hp--to do a x10 summon every week, like earning a special event 10 pack for just playing the game). So I drop money on the game.

So start giving the player ways to advance (I would love to level underused characters just for fun, but have to weight the iso cost, it sucks!!!). Or even put iso in the shop for a good price. I mean seriously, how many people would buy 1 million iso for $10? I know I would.
  • simonsez
    All I need is 2.1 million ISO to level up my cover maxed 4s, and then I can champ away... I wonder if I can get that much before all these covers expire in a week...
  • westnyy2
    westnyy2 Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
    I really like the champion feature and have thus far championed 8 4's, 25 3's and 7 2's. Sadly, I will likely max out my 2's by the end of the week if not sooner. My remaining characters will take major iso (at least 60k) to get to champion status and that's for ones I don't even want that bad.

There is still a major iso shortage and I do like the OP's ideas. It shouldn't be stupid easy but it should be there for people who do want to grind. Heck, I wouldn't even care if the prologue was 50 vs 20. And last but not least, address the store and iso costs. It would cost me close to $400 to max my Rulk so I don't lose his 6 covers I have sitting in limbo. If it was $150 or even half, I may be tempted. I know it's a marathon and not a sprint but everyone has the same feeling of falling behind.
  • Bryan Lambert
    Bryan Lambert Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    Championing's actual affect on ISO flow is negligible. The initial outlay for a single character is the equivalent of maybe four levels tops for an upper-level 3* or mid-level 4*.

Once that's done, most of the covers you get for that character will give you as much ISO as you would have gotten for selling them. Some of the covers will give you twice that. Some of the covers will give you a token that might give you a cover you can sell for the same or more, champion for the same or more or other rewards, or use. And a few covers give you HP or CPs you could use for other types of progression.

What most people are talking about, however, is the ISO cost of leveling characters to max. That cost was always there, it's just that championing now increases the incentive to do it. The ISO shortage after championing isn't much greater than the shortage before championing, you're just feeling it more for two reasons - first, you want to spend that 60K on those last 25 levels of an unmaxed 3* a lot more, and second, in the early days of championing, you're spending that 60K on the initial cost of championing the characters you can.

In a month or so, when we've all championed everyone we can, ISO flow will go pretty much back to the way it was pre-championing - less than we should be getting, but not worse.
  • chamber44
    chamber44 Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    the amount of real-world money that D3 earns from non-forumites purchasing ISO must be astronomical. It's really the only explanation i can think of for how stingy they are with it. Has there been an update to the amounts of ISO they drop since the release of 5*s? Since the release of 2/3rds of 4*s even?
  • simonsez wrote:
    All I need is 2.1 million ISO to level up my cover maxed 4s, and then I can champ away... I wonder if I can get that much before all these covers expire in a week...

If you spend 2700 dollars on iso you got this.
  • simonsez
    simonsez wrote:

If you spend 2700 dollars on iso you got this.
    Hmmm... if I hit the streets now, and can get $20 per BJ, I might just make it...
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just delete the 20 iso and 70 iso rewards. I would gladly take the increased drop rates of the boosts and 1* covers, that would go a long way.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Or the ability to sell boosts... So many critical boosts die in vain...
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    When I look at championing it is a trade off of ISO for LT. I am able to generate a LT for 7500 ISO compared to a 40 pack. ISO is now used for more and HP used for less. The issue is you are championing a 3* for a random 4* cover and will be getting the ISO back at a later date. How long will that take is another story. I still have 12 3* I can champion but don't have the ISO or a 14th cover currently to make championing them worth while. In a month it might feel better when I have all my 3* championed and I can focus on my 4*, but until then I am ISO poor.