purchasing iso poll

Coppertouret
Coppertouret Posts: 169 Tile Toppler
edited January 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I'm curious to the general consensus on purchasing iso now that the value of iso in game has ultimately surpassed hero points for the time being.

*edit*
Comment with what change to values for purchasing iso would make the transaction more reasonable!
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    For me, $20 - $100 isn't a micro-transaction. To me that is an investment worth consideration of.

I will always compare virtual value to real life value.

$100 is an insurance premium payment with full coverage where if my auto is damaged in an accident it is repaired at no cost to me.

$20 is a Game-of-the-year version of a platform video game that I can play that is complete, and I can play for many hours to months at a time, and over and over again, and in 5 years, break out and play again.

$2-$5 is what I consider to be a mobile micro-transaction. If I could pay $2-5 for a roster slot, I would be more inclined to, since that slot doesn't go away. I may rotate the character in that spot, but the spot stays. But since I cannot even buy a roster slot (1000 HP) for $5, they do not get my $5.

ISO is even less of a value. Since Iso is used to pay the skip tax, and level characters, and buy boosts, and to champion, I really need to get a LOT of Iso for real money. HP is used to buy roster spots once and to shield in an event. Iso is needed for every single character in the game. I understand supply and demand, but there is also a sense of what is considered a value. Currently $99 US Dollars on iOS will get you 78K iso. That will not fully level 1 of around 90 characters.
    (pause for emphasis)

Maybe if $10 could give enough Iso to max a 3* from 40 - 166... maybe it would be worth it. But when $100 won't even do that... forget about it.

Maybe I just have a different sense of value, but things would have to get a whole lot more generous on D3's end before I become generous on my end.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    I would possiblly consider it if $100 bought me enough ISO to level 2 4*s from lvl 70 to max. Anything short of that and D3 can stuff it. ISO prices are RIDICULOUS.
  • Coppertouret
    tanis3303 wrote:
    I would possiblly consider it if $100 bought me enough ISO to level 2 4*s from lvl 70 to max. Anything short of that and D3 can stuff it. ISO prices are RIDICULOUS.

I'd consider it if everything moved two tiers. 78k for $20
  • i bought iso when i was very new to the game (and stupid). icon_redface.gif

but i loved marvel and puzzle quest so no big deal.

certainly never again.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    For 4* transitioners like myself who literally need millions of ISO, I can't imagine that they could make it worth it for me to purchase ISO. MAYBE, if $100 got you 780k ISO (instead of 78k), then I'd think about it. But I probably still wouldn't buy any.

So I voted never have/never will.
  • Arimis_Thorn
    Arimis_Thorn Posts: 541 Critical Contributor
    Yeah IF they increased theISO gain by an order of magnitude, I might.

The better solution honestly would be to adjust training costs down again. By a LOT.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    With the advent of Champions, ISO-8 is now way more valuable than it used to be. Before I was fine using what I get from regular play and DDQ, now I would definitely consider a purchase to boost my straggling 3* characters up to 166 – if it weren't such an awful value. Put an extra zero on the end of each purchase tier and you're at least in the right ballpark (although $100 should still get you into seven figures).
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    With the new system, I am now extremely Iso poor. I have a fully covered Hulkbuster and two extra covers in my inventory. Being almost 200k Iso short, I'm very tempted to purchase it in order to not let those covers go to waste.

However... I'd have to spend almost $300 to do so, which is not going to happen.

So +1 to adjusting the Iso per dollar with the devaluation of Hero Points.

Still have sale hero points to cash in! Decisions decision.
  • kalex716
    kalex716 Posts: 184
    What if they sold boosts?

1 day, 3 day, 5 day iso boosts to the normal you generate.

Sensible people would only buy boosts. Whales would likely still need both?
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I earn around 10-20 ISO per day from regular play / rewards / etc. So it's crazy to spend $100 for something I can earn in less than a week, simply by playing normally.

It takes a few days to fully level up a 2*.

It's around a week per 3*.

Around a month per 4*.

And that's fine. You just need to plan ahead a bit and realize that if your characters aren't powerful enough right now, they'll get there soon enough.

5*s are surprisingly fast to level up, and well worth it, once you have at least 4 covers for them.
  • woopie
    woopie Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    .... now that the value of iso in game has ultimately surpassed hero points for the time being.

That's a popular sentiment on the Forum these days. I'd like to see a poll on that first icon_lol.gif

I mean, the only thing HP can no longer do next week is buy covers. And that is a big thing .... for some players.

HP still pays much of the operating expenses and buys all the real estate. HP has always been, and will continue to be, my main means of acquiring covers ... via shield-hopping.

If everyone is now convinced HP is "worthless" I gotta ask ... just how the hell many covers were you guys buying?

Don't get me wrong, I know many players that buy TONs of covers. By default. Waiting for covers to fall is not even a consideration. They want it, they buy it. That's how they make things happen, and good for them.

But I always thought that was a small subset ... am I wrong?

(If considered a threadjack I apologize and will remove to a new thread...if a mod doesn't do so for me!).

It's not just that HP has been devalued, but with champions, the ISO drought is further highlighted. Since you have to max level everyone you want to champ and champs are viewed as a positive thanks to their rewards, the importance of ISO has gone up significantly

In my head, whaling is the purchase of 8-10 covers of a character. Using that definition, I've used HP to whale 2 characters, 4* Thor just after her release and JG a couple of weeks after my fistbuster was getting demolished in PvP. That said, I've finished off characters a lot more. I've purchased the last 1-4 covers of HB, Iceman, Rulk, Cyclops, IF, and Switch because I have bad token luck and all of them have been well worth the investment. Losing the ability to buy those last handful of covers will sting for a decent amount of people.
  • Boommike
    Boommike Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    I understand that the forum is not necessarily representative of the entire playerbase (I'd wager far from it), but if I'm interpreting these results correctly, no one buys iso. Why on earth wouldn't D3 lower prices for it? If done, iso would begin to be bought (especially now) and they'd be making some money as opposed to none (according to this poll). Less than what you could get is better than none, in my opinion. I'm sure there's more to it than that, but at least at face value....
  • To take the 3* example, a 7.5k ISO expenditure will eventually get you 57.5k ISO back, plus all the other fun stuff in the tree. Let us return to this subject in a month when the complaint is that this is far too powerful. Compounding interest, y'all.
  • Coppertouret
    kalex716 wrote:
    What if they sold boosts?

1 day, 3 day, 5 day iso boosts to the normal you generate.

Sensible people would only buy boosts. Whales would likely still need both?

I really like this idea. Although, it'd have to be a significant boost to negate the constant 20 isos.
  • ProfessorGumby
    ProfessorGumby Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    Orion wrote:
    For 4* transitioners like myself who literally need millions of ISO, I can't imagine that they could make it worth it for me to purchase ISO. MAYBE, if $100 got you 780k ISO (instead of 78k), then I'd think about it. But I probably still wouldn't buy any.

So I voted never have/never will.

^^ This ^^

Cheers!
    - PG
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    in a game like this, money can be substituted for time. for example, if I'm looking at things right, a solid player can make 1000 hp/week. so a stark is worth about 20 weeks of hp. iso is a different animal and is hard to quantify daily because it can fluctuate so much with LR days and if you're playing pve or not and how much skipping that particular pvp requires. but, I think 50K is pretty reasonable for net iso in any given week. probably more if you LR much (could be much more), maybe less if you pve boost too much and don't LR. so my same $100 that gets me 20 weeks worth of hp, gets me 1-2 week worth of iso - 2.5 weeks tops (ddq alone gets you to 78K in 3 weeks).

$100 for 20 weeks > $100 for 2 weeks.

if they changed it up to account for maybe 10 weeks, that would certainly get my attention, and it would still not have the time value that hp has. of course all those numbers change now with the championing going on. iso doesn't change much but hp comes in from the champ levels that helps alter those numbers some, but you get the idea.

edit: I realized I was talking gross hp and net iso. if you take out slots/shields, if you're pvp'ing at a decent level, you'll be lucky to be hp neutral, so for that type of player, the $100 of net hp is worth even more than 20 weeks.
  • Zed Tzu wrote:
    To take the 3* example, a 7.5k ISO expenditure will eventually get you 57.5k ISO back, plus all the other fun stuff in the tree. Let us return to this subject in a month when the complaint is that this is far too powerful. Compounding interest, y'all.
    Sorry, Zed but you apparently missed the day they covered opportunity cost. If you had just sold those 100 covers for 500 ISO each, and kept the startup 7.5K you would have earned ... 57.5K ISO! So not any interest at all, and actually net negative until you get all 100 extra 3* covers.

(all the above in terms of just ISO, of course, there are other benefits to championing that are definitely worth it)
  • Coppertouret
    Yeah IF they increased theISO gain by an order of magnitude, I might.

The better solution honestly would be to adjust training costs down again. By a LOT.

I agree that other non-monetary solutions are out there including what you have mentioned and increasing iso output for all reward systems. The poll is just an idea on spending so the devs might see revenue potential or lack thereof.
  • NewMcG
    NewMcG Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    The purchase value for Iso would have to go up by a power of 10. Than I'd at least consider it.
  • Zed Tzu wrote:
    To take the 3* example, a 7.5k ISO expenditure will eventually get you 57.5k ISO back, plus all the other fun stuff in the tree. Let us return to this subject in a month when the complaint is that this is far too powerful. Compounding interest, y'all.
    Sorry, Zed but you apparently missed the day they covered opportunity cost. If you had just sold those 100 covers for 500 ISO each, and kept the startup 7.5K you would have earned ... 57.5K ISO! So not any interest at all, and actually net negative until you get all 100 extra 3* covers.

(all the above in terms of just ISO, of course, there are other benefits to championing that are definitely worth it)
    Oh duh. Sorry for the distraction. I meant to look up what the covers would sell for and subtract but forgot.
    Ok so it's an investment in nicer covers and recruit tokens. And higher level characters to smooth the tier transitions. Agreed it's still worth it.