FAQ: What Are Champions?

David [Hi-Fi] Moore
David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
edited January 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Champions offer you a way to progress your heroes after they reach their max level. Each additional cover that is used after a hero is promoted to Champion increases their level and earns you rewards, including Hero covers, Legendary Tokens, Command Points, Hero Points and more Iso-8.

When Can A Hero Be Promoted To Champion?
    Any 2, 3, 4 or 5-Star hero can be promoted to a Champion from the Hero Information screen once they reach their Max Level.
How Much Does It Cost To Champion A Hero?
    You can promote heroes to Champions with Iso-8. 2-Star: 5,000 Iso-8 3-Star: 7,500 Iso-8 4-Star: 12,500 Iso-8 5-Star: 20,000 Iso-8
How Do You Add Levels To A Champion?
    When you have additional covers of a Champion, you can add them to the Champion via the Reward Cache or from the Hero Information screen.
How Many Levels Can Be Added To A Champion?
    You will be able to add additional levels up to the Champion Level Max. 2-Star: 50 Levels 3-Star: 100 Levels 4-Star: 100 Levels 5-Star: 100 Levels
What Kind Of Rewards Are Earned From Adding Levels?
    You will receive Hero Covers, Tokens, Iso-8, Hero Points and Command Points as rewards. Each star rating has their own reward structure with most rewards being Iso-8, Hero Points and Command Points - with Covers and Tokens added at increasing levels. Here are some notable rewards for each star rating: 2-Star: 5 Heroic Tokens, three related 3-Star Hero Covers, 250 Hero Points, and 5 Command Points. 3-Star: 5 Legendary Tokens, three related 4-Star Hero Covers, 1,000 Hero Points and 50 Command Points. 4-Star: 10 Legendary Tokens, 4,000 Hero Points and 250 Commands Points. 5-Star: 25 Legendary Tokens, 20,000 Hero Points, and 625 Command Points.
How Much Does It Cost To Change The Ability Levels Of A Championed Hero?
    Nothing! Once a hero is Championed, they can re-allocate ability levels however they see fit (outside of a battle).
Do Champions Look Different Than Normal Heroes?
    A Championed Hero will have a special blue background in all areas that you would normally see them. Other players will be able to tell your hero is a Champion by the blue background on their star rating or the Character’s Information screen.
Do Champions Have A Higher Sell-Back Price?
    For every level you invest in a Champion, you will receive more Iso-8 back. 2-Star: 100 Iso-8 per level 3-Star: 200 Iso-8 per level 4-Star: 400 Iso-8 per level 5-Star: 800 Iso-8 per level

Comments

• Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks for all this info, David. While we have your ear could please comment on the drastic changes in power of boosted characters that forumites have been reporting? We need to know whether it's a bug or intended.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Ha. I literally JUST came on here to post this.

http://d3publisher.helpshift.com/a/marv ... -champions
  • David [Hi-Fi] Moore
    Pylgrim wrote:
    Thanks for all this info, David. While we have your ear could please comment on the drastic changes in power of boosted characters that forumites have been reporting? We need to know whether it's a bug or intended.

Hi,

I asked about this earlier and am awaiting a response. I'll let you know when I can.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Any chance we also get a comment about implementing:

- respeccing below 12 covers, so we can play for instance obw's purple or im40's yellow power at the desired AP cost?
    - duplicate characters to champion character levels feature, with fair iso sellback rate, if levelled?
  • Quick Fire
    Quick Fire Posts: 67 Match Maker
    This is good stuff. I am genuinely excited about this addition. I never hesitate to complain about things in life so I want to take the time thank the right people for the good stuff too. Thanks D3
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    We are, my friends.
  • Coppertouret
    Coppertouret Posts: 169 Tile Toppler
    Are increased iso costs to level characters intentional? After update, all my non-maxedcharacters cost 10-20k more iso to max. I dumped some without realizing.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    We've got Black Widow, Ghost Rider and Iceman, all we need are Angel and Hercules.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Are increased iso costs to level characters intentional? After update, all my non-maxedcharacters cost 10-20k more iso to max. I dumped some without realizing.

Just looked at mine and they're all showing exactly what I had for them in my spreadsheet prior to the update. I wonder if you're just seeing something funky.
  • Nellobee
    Nellobee Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    We are, my friends.

I'll keep on fighting, 'til the end!
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards

Make sure you didn't get any new covers for them before hand.

Unfortunately it wasn't something I looked at, but I do know they are still incredibly expensive regardless.

Like for me a 3 star from 127-166 seems to consistently be 87,283 ISO, but I can't promise that info is of any use to you.

i just know for me since i've never seen that much Iso at once in this game x 3 this should get interesting.
  • _Ryu_
    _Ryu_ Posts: 149
    BIG THX for champion update and bringing it to the game, the rewards are great for upgrading characters!

With a full covered 3* roster and over 20 lvl maxed heros/vilians, i fell for the first time since long the heat for doing a bit more cover hunting in PvP (^_^)

Championing is awesome, period!
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    I also have to express my thx for the Champions rollout. I was really surprised to find out that each 3* I champed would give a LT right off the bat! So I ended up w/ 19 LTs, which turned into 3x star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png , and icon_x23.pnggreenflag.png that I was missing.

So far I blew 500k+ iso8.png , opened 1,000+ tokens, and having a great time. It's like xmas 2016 arrived early! icon_lol.gif
  • Hi David - thanks for the info. I like this system so far!

One question: Might there be any plans to make sixth covers for un-cover-maxed characters more useful? That is, if I'm sitting my sixth black cover for a 1/5/1 Hulkbuster (which no chance of maxing before it expires), do I have to just burn it for ISO or should I hang onto it?
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hi David - thanks for the info. I like this system so far!

One question: Might there be any plans to make sixth covers for un-cover-maxed characters more useful? That is, if I'm sitting my sixth black cover for a 1/5/1 Hulkbuster (which no chance of maxing before it expires), do I have to just burn it for ISO or should I hang onto it?

An extremely attractive forum member has a suggestion on that over here, you should go upvote it or offer your thoughts: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=37571
  • David [Hi-Fi] Moore
    Pylgrim wrote:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for hanging in there while awaiting a response. Here's word confirming a bug from the developers:

"Thanks very much for the bug reports. The change to the size of the Powered-Up level bonus is a bug we're currently working on."

Unfortunately, this will involve a code fix and the earliest we will likely be able to issue a correction is with the R94 update (still a number of weeks away). We appreciate your patience while we sort this one out.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    R94? Yikes.

At least it's affecting people equally. I can live with that for a while.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am just glad to know it is a bug and not an intended change.
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    If possible, I'd love an official response to this question.

I know some people have contacted CS about the issue of duplicate heroes. CS has offered, kindly, to deconstruct the hero into their base covers so that those covers can be use to champion the original. No ISO or HP is offered in compensation, just the covers to apply.

Is this something we can utilize going forward? Can I buy a roster slot, "park" the covers for my fully covered, but not fully leveled hero there and later asking CS to deconstruct so I can apply the covers to my hero once he/she has been championed?
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]
    Pylgrim wrote:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for hanging in there while awaiting a response. Here's word confirming a bug from the developers:

"Thanks very much for the bug reports. The change to the size of the Powered-Up level bonus is a bug we're currently working on."

Unfortunately, this will involve a code fix and the earliest we will likely be able to issue a correction is with the R94 update (still a number of weeks away). We appreciate your patience while we sort this one out.

Thank you for a timely response. Please take note that even though there are bugs in the system quick, clear and consice communication has kept the masses from raging.

Apart from said bug I am very happy with the champion feature. Even though like most my roster is ISO starved and I have many 3* characters under levelled but maxed covers I am okay with having to sell covers I can't put into characters who are not at L166 already.