Tactics - How should we spend our ISO?

2»

Comments

• FaustianDeal
    FaustianDeal Posts: 760 Critical Contributor
    As tempting as it would be to start with the 2*s, I think the ISO pinch is going to come on fast for anyone who hoarded tokens. I think I'm going to hold off on doing the 2* champing because those covers fall like rain. If I start right away or wait a month to start champing them I think the net effect will be the same come April.

My proposal, to stretch ISO, is to start with your 3*s first. And to do it so you are (if able) champing 3*s as their PVP rolls around, or as their covers in your inventory are about to expire. Its probably best not to get too far ahead of the 'expiration line' because the promotion fees risk wiping out your ISO hoard faster than you anticipate, especially if you need to add a few levels to promote people. This only works if you think you have (or will accrue) enough ISO to fully get through your 3*s within the next 40 days (because Deadpool Daily means you have the option of champing a new 3* every day). 4*s (if you can champ them) should track just ahead of the expiration line too. Definitely look ahead though. Don't spend ISO adding 15 levels to Squirrel Girl before she expires and leave yourself in a position where Luke Cage covers need to be sold 2 days later because you accidentally prioritized Squirrel Girl.

Once you have addressed any immediately expiring 3* & 4* covers in your inventory, then you circle back and start doing your 2*s once the ISO pressure has relaxed a little.

Its a modification of the strategy to focus on the 'top tier meta' characters that acknowledges some of us will probably champ all the 2&3* characters eventually.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    I changed my mind on my ISO spending, I may try leveling up some 3*'s I had been previously fine with leaving where they are, based on this point from what we know about champion rewards (taken from another thread):

3-Star: Legendary Tokens and three related 4-Star Hero Covers.

If that's true, I'm waiting to see what 3*'s will yield what 4* covers before I write someone off. Some will be obvious (Steve Cap gives FalCap), but some like will be up in the air. I'll be combing the Tips board soon after the update goes live, I may have to finally max 3* Torch if it might eventually give me some Thing covers finally. (if it's Sue, I'll pass.)
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    IMO, a character who isn't worth maxing now, isn't worth making a champion. HB, JG, Rulk, IF, CMag, KK, SW, for me have priority champion ststus.
  • kalex716
    kalex716 Posts: 184
    fmftint wrote:
    IMO, a character who isn't worth maxing now, isn't worth making a champion. HB, JG, Rulk, IF, CMag, KK, SW, for me have priority champion ststus.

Agreed. Three stars who I have 120 and not yet 166 are borderline... I'll decide later depending on their rewards whether its worth the iso. If they have progression rewards for top tier 4 stars, the argument is strong. 2 stars however that are not yet max or even on my roster, forget it...
  • Arimis_Thorn
    Arimis_Thorn Posts: 541 Critical Contributor
    I'm not spending ANY ISO on anything until this patch drops. I have a sneaking suspicion that IDO costs are going to be adjusted as part of the "quality of life" changes. I have ZERO evidence of this; it's just a gut feeling. It just seems like given the push to get people to bring their characters up to their max level that they may make it easier for folks to do so.

I lose nothing by waiting it out but if I'm right, I'll be able to gain more levels with the same ISO.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    After some thought and experience with the championing system, I've decided that I'm going to raise my remaining 17 3*s to max level and champion them. Then I'll raise my remaining 2*s to max and champion them.

3*s don't come often, but you can get a burst of 3 or more of the same one in pvp (score top 100 or better individually, alliance top 100 and hit 800 the next pvp). So it's good to have them all championed to make sure those cover bursts don't go to waste.

And if you are championing a 2* that gives you covers for a 3* you don't yet have, that's a waste as well.

I have a few fully covered 4*s I'll champion soon. It's just that it takes sooooo long to max them out, I'd rather just max my 3*s and 2*s first to get that out of the way, unless I get an extra cover for a non-champed fully covered 4*, in which case I'll try to max it out if possible.

And if I get another oml or an ss black, I'll level those up first too.