Please discontinue Heroic PVE's

Arimis_Thorn
Arimis_Thorn Posts: 541 Critical Contributor
edited January 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
They are the purest example of lazy design.

I have 75 characters slotted. In the current DA Heroic, I am allowed to use FOURTEEN of those, and 2 of those are Miles Morales and Eddie Brock, who each have 2 covers. Thanks to scaling (you know, the punishment received for actually doing well and advancing your character), the higher nodes easily wipe out half of my usable roster.

I will never ever understand the concept of hobbling your players like this.

"It's a challenge!"

It's a bunch of goons, not Galactus. I'd suggest that if you're going to make the "challenge" this absurd, you should at least bump the rewards to really be worth it. Except of course, that would just screw your scaling even further.

Whatever. This kick in the balls design appears to be working for you as a business model. I'm out.

Comments

• I disagree. Heroic PVEs could probably use an extra 2* and 3* character allowed but Heroic PVEs are a nice break from using a lot of the tried and true teams over and over in normal PVEs. Additionally, they mean I'm never against people using winfinite in them and they are loads better than PVEs like Iso-8, the hunt or Magus (IE get ready for mega hood cmags).
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like them, they give me a couple days off from pve
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wish they were all like the last one. LT for 2 days of play - i'll take it every time. looks like this one will take nearly 3 days though.
  • Phillipes
    Phillipes Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    Sorry OP, but I also like them, more than other PVEs, infact.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    I have to disagree on that, I quite like the Heroics. It forces you to think differently about combinations you might not have tried otherwise. While it would be nice to use the 4*'s I've started building over the last few months, I've found quite a bit of success with a 3*Torch/OBW/3* Spidey combo on this event so far (and only OBW is maxed). 3* Storm as well. They've done a fair bit to change my opinions of "useless" characters over time. It hasn't been too challenging to clear them so far (I've got a 74 roster ).

Plus, they scare off half the player base, so placement awards are usually better, too. (Normally, but with Iceman Blue on the table I'm afraid that won't be true this time)

And if there's one with characters I'm hopeless with, then it's an easy skip! Don't give it another thought, they're really nothing to get worked up about.
  • Arimis_Thorn
    Arimis_Thorn Posts: 541 Critical Contributor
    If they're going to sideline 80% of my roster, I'd rather they just give us a loaner roster for the entire event. "Here's the challenge. Here are characters you get to use. Go!"

Lower level players would get to try out higher level characters they haven't accessed yet and higher level players would have access to 1 & 2*s they've long since jettisoned.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    to tater's point - I never play im40, but I've played him on nearly every node in the current heroic with obw and torch. actually works really well.
    to arimis's point - if loaner characters were provided and same scaling across the board was also provided, I'm all for that. it would make for a very interesting competition. basically an event roster that is homogeneous for everyone. an event like that with the frequency of the gauntlet (not often but every once in a while) would be fun to me.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    They're fine and dandy if you're just popping in to play a few nodes during each sub. But if you're looking for a top rank and trying to grind nodes down, these events suck. I mean they're a health pack suck. Yeah, that's what I meant...
  • Natsufan01
    Natsufan01 Posts: 259 Mover and Shaker
    I really like that idea. Every once in a while have everyone be on the exact same playing field, no matter how long or short they have been playing. The veterans would still have some advantage, being more knowledgeable about characters and who works well together, but it would even that out quite a bit.

As far as the original post, I like Heroics, but I didn't at first. Now that I have a decent amount of characters rostered and built well, I enjoy getting the forced opportunity to try out combinations or characters that I never use. Colossus is showing to be a fairly decent character for me this time.
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    Tatercat wrote:
    I have to disagree on that, I quite like the Heroics. It forces you to think differently about combinations you might not have tried otherwise. While it would be nice to use the 4*'s I've started building over the last few months, I've found quite a bit of success with a 3*Torch/OBW/3* Spidey combo on this event so far (and only OBW is maxed). 3* Storm as well. They've done a fair bit to change my opinions of "useless" characters over time. It hasn't been too challenging to clear them so far (I've got a 74 roster ).

Plus, they scare off half the player base, so placement awards are usually better, too. (Normally, but with Iceman Blue on the table I'm afraid that won't be true this time)

And if there's one with characters I'm hopeless with, then it's an easy skip! Don't give it another thought, they're really nothing to get worked up about.

I thought encouraging us to try us to think outside the box and try different combinations of characters was the purpose of the weekly buff list? This is just taking it a step further and ramming different combinations down my throat while I miss the rest of my roster.

I didn't really need a heroic to remind me that yes, buffed obw and cstorm can be fun at times, and that 220-260 ares and juggs still laugh and one-shot (or nearly one-shot) them after making 2 matches.
  • Tatercat

There are a lot of sick, sick people in this thread icon_lol.gif

Well, you've got me there, good sir. icon_e_wink.gif

Like I said, if you don't care for them = easy skip. I'm just not sure why they get people so worked up that they spend so much time making themselves angry over them. You should be skipping events in this game, I do it all the time. There's always other ways, that let you use your full roster, that you can make up "ground", if that's what you feel you're missing out on. Why waste this much typing (or thought) time on Heroics if you hate them?

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to do something emotionally positive and fulfilling with my time....LIKE SEEING THE HATEFUL EIGHT FOR A THIRD TIME! WOO-HOO! icon_twisted.gif
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tatercat wrote:

Like I said, if you don't care for them = easy skip. I'm just not sure why they get people so worked up that they spend so much time making themselves angry over them. You should be skipping events in this game, I do it all the time. There's always other ways, that let you use your full roster, that you can make up "ground", if that's what you feel you're missing out on. Why waste this much typing (or thought) time on Heroics if you hate them?

yeah I'm sure the reasons not at ALL because they only usually run 1 pve event at a time or one of the three strongest characters outside the RNG tier is the top 10 reward for an event where you may not have most of the characters well covered.

Why waste time typing about a game they clearly care about and want to play?

It's almost like why give your opinion when you won't consider others?
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't mind Heroics but only if the limited roster is actually decent, normally it's not but it's quite annoying to have MNMags but no good blue user. I'm not making blue for his **** blue CD and no I'm not saving 30 AP for IM40's blue that destroys... 3 tiles!

At this point, if they want to maintain the Heroics limited stable, at least increase that amount of characters, no new characters with one cover do not count!

I do appreciate that Heroic's LT progression is normally quite easy but they increased it from last round. I am not grinding 13k each sub for this roster.
  • Lukoil
    Lukoil Posts: 266 Mover and Shaker
    TxMoose wrote:
    to tater's point - I never play im40, but I've played him on nearly every node in the current heroic with obw and torch. actually works really well.
    to arimis's point - if loaner characters were provided and same scaling across the board was also provided, I'm all for that. it would make for a very interesting competition. basically an event roster that is homogeneous for everyone. an event like that with the frequency of the gauntlet (not often but every once in a while) would be fun to me.
    If loaners won't instantly recovered after fight than yes. Otherwise...no. You'll just use those until you dry out all nodes. You have infinite life so why not.
  • DCUDCU
    DCUDCU Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    What nodes are that bad?

Human Torch classic fed by IM40 and OBW can pretty much knock out most of the nodes. My roster is linked below, I haven't had any problems. Admittedly I'm not grinding the event as I don't anymore, but 3 run throughs per sub hasn't been any issue.
  • Tatercat
    GurlBYE wrote:
    Tatercat wrote:

yeah I'm sure the reasons not at ALL because they only usually run 1 pve event at a time or one of the three strongest characters outside the RNG tier is the top 10 reward for an event where you may not have most of the characters well covered.

Why waste time typing about a game they clearly care about and want to play?

It's almost like why give your opinion when you won't consider others?

Oh such drama.

I was being serious when I said you shouldn't play every single event in this game. Been there, done that, had the high blood pressure. It's good to skip events you don't like. it will drive you crazy chasing chasing every carrot dangled in front of you. Like I said, there's other ways to make up "lost ground" in the long run.

If you know it's a heroic, and you hate heroics, skip and don't give it a second thought. The game isn't broken, it doesn't need changing (on this at least). Some people like Heroics, this event is for them, it works fine. Not every aspect of something needs to cater to you, don't care how much money you've sunk into it. You don't need to see every movie playing in the theater, you don't need to get on the dance floor for every song.

The OP's opinion is that he hates heroics. Got no problem with that, didn't insult his intelligence for feeling that way. I'm saying there's better things anyone could do with that anger. This is not a "take your ball and go home" response, the game will still be there. There will be other chances to get a iceman. Play as long as you have fun, then don't when it's not. Spend that energy then on something that continues to bring you fun. I like this game plenty, like playing too. It ain't all there is in life, and I don't mean that as dismissive. Don't do this to yourself, please.
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    DCUDCU wrote:
    What nodes are that bad?

Hood plus Muscle plus Thug. Minus any of the characters who are good at taking out the Hood quickly. That's the node. The rest of it is mostly fine. Not fun, but fine.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    For me, heroics are like Balance of Power: pretty fun if I can play them casually (which for me in pve is going for the legendary), but awful if ranking actually matters. I pity the poor souls going all out for those Ice-Man covers in my bracket.

But as long as there are no more new character releases through heroics, I'm fine with them.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    i usually do well in heroics. maybe cause more people skip them than normal. sitting 4th right now.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    DCUDCU wrote:
    What nodes are that bad?

Admittedly I'm not grinding the event
    Oh for ****'s sake, we already said that clearing them once (with a softcapped roster to boot) isn't the problem...