New placement rewards

2»

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm aiming for top 10 in Venombomb as my 3/5/4 Thing could really use Another green cover - there should be one red cover coming in PvP later this week and Another red cover in the Daily resupply in a Little while, and then he'll be specced the way I want him.
    So far it's going well - even managed to snag top 2 in Brooklyn Bridge, so I Think I have some slack in the final grind. People may be grinding less against Carnage though...
    I'd very much like some more covers for my 3/4/3 Iceman too, so I'll see what I can do in Heroic mode, but competition may be fiercer there...
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Merrick wrote:
    I am very happy with the new reward structure. In my opinion, it was the best thing to happen to the game in a long time. Was it perfect, of course not. But it was a great change.

And while it has made pve harder, with all those "evil" PVP players coming in and stealing our rewards, I honestly don't think that will happen for too many events. Depending on the 4* given, most of them will decide even the improved prizes aren't worth their time and go back to PVP.

owHnGw6.png

Is this you???? Please stop! I don't want to play anymore.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Banacek555 wrote:
    There is a very simple solution to all this as there are now nearly as many 4* characters as 3*

Remove 2* rewards completely from PVE and PVP as they are so easy to win through standard tokens.

Then keep same reward structure but move up one

So PVE

Top 10 4* becomes 5xLT
    Top 11-200 3* becomes 4* tier
    Top 201-400 2* becomes 3* tier

That Top 10 is excessive, they should be getting 3x 3*, 3x 4* covers from the lower tiers with an additional LT for getting T10 and then the places within T10 get separated by the amount of iso, hp and cp that they get.

I would do the following with each level also getting the max rewards of the other tiers along with their main one:

T10 - LT and varying iso/hp/cp
    T11-T50 - total of 3x 4*
    T51-T100 - total of 2x 4*
    T101-T150 - 1x 4*
    T151-T200 - total of 3x 3*
    T201-T300 - total of 2x 3*
    T301-T400 - 1x 3*

It would take about 3 months to go through the cycle of 4* once you take into account the varying durations of pve events and about 2 new releases a month, so people will not build complete characters too quickly even if they consistently place near the top and getting more usable characters more quickly could easily encourage people to not wait for the cycle to complete and go ahead and buy more covers to get a character pvp-ready and the whales are not going to stop whaling so it leads to an increase in spending overall, in addition to increased sales due to more people needing more roster slots.

It would take about a year for f2p players to round out their roster, but in that time the amount of 4* would have doubled again in any case.
  • bobbyfish
    bobbyfish Posts: 299
    I thought adding the placement rewards might help progression, as with semi-optimal play I can usually T10 in events without a new character, but I've made my first ever real attempt at winning an event this time as I only have 2 Thing covers and I didn't think it would be that busy, and the experience has been enough to make me never want to play PVE again! I won the first node (first time ever!) after entering slice 3 in a fresh bracket by complete chance in the middle of the night on NYE, and each day since then I've got most nodes down to one, but that's taken over 3 hours of grinding at the end of each day, and I've ended up a good 6k behind the leader with a grind to go today. If I don't get T5 I think I'll quit PVE for a while.

Maybe it's always this way for T5, but I get the feeling these new rewards have pulled too many new players in, who can only assume are spending big HP on health packs. When is this game supposed to get easier again?

Of course the insanity of constant Carnage nodes has been enough to make me throw my phone several times this weekend, which hasn't helped
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    TLCstormz wrote:
    fmftint wrote:
    Bottom line, **********8********** more players/bracket will get a 4☆ reward than previous story events, therefore they ARE giving more access to 4☆ covers

Forgive us, if we do not faint from the grandness of it all.......

What would you expect? t100 all get 4* covers?

I think perhaps a better solution would be to add a 4* cover into the progression rewards instead of placement awards that way everyone can earn 1 cover. That will speed up everyones progress and also mean that some of the lower tier players (transitioners and such) will have easier PVE from time to time as vets skip the events they don't need the covers for.
  • Crowl

I think perhaps a better solution would be to add a 4* cover into the progression rewards instead of placement awards that way everyone can earn 1 cover. That will speed up everyones progress and also mean that some of the lower tier players (transitioners and such) will have easier PVE from time to time as vets skip the events they don't need the covers for.

Adding a 4* to the progression would be a step in the right direction, but it won't speed up people's progress, it will merely slow down the rate at which they fall behind as each month they are adding at least another 26 4* covers into the game.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Crowl wrote:

Adding a 4* to the progression would be a step in the right direction, but it won't speed up people's progress, it will merely slow down the rate at which they fall behind as each month they are adding at least another 26 4* covers into the game.

Not quite correct, that point is only valid on the presumption that you would WANT all those new 4/5* characters. And you would catch up because the cover you earn as a progression is a cover and not just a token, it would still be slow but it would at least mean you can target who to build and how as well. this would bring the reward structure more in line with PvP - the model which everyone says is superior.
  • Crowl
    Not quite correct, that point is only valid on the presumption that you would WANT all those new 4/5* characters. And you would catch up because the cover you earn as a progression is a cover and not just a token, it would still be slow but it would at least mean you can target who to build and how as well. this would bring the reward structure more in line with PvP - the model which everyone says is superior.

If progression was faster then people would have less need to target character and could build a wider roster and as far as the pvp model, do people say it is completely superior or merely that the amount of time it requires is superior?
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    bobbyfish wrote:
    I won the first node (first time ever!) after entering slice 3 in a fresh bracket by complete chance in the middle of the night on NYE, and each day since then I've got most nodes down to one, but that's taken over 3 hours of grinding at the end of each day, and I've ended up a good 6k behind the leader with a grind to go today. If I don't get T5 I think I'll quit PVE for a while.

Maybe it's always this way for T5, but I get the feeling these new rewards have pulled too many new players in, who can only assume are spending big HP on health packs. When is this game supposed to get easier again?

Almost everyone who plays high level PVP, also has the experience and roster to play high level PVE. A full color set for a 4* is an amazing reward (with an LT on the side). In pvp, you only have a chance at 2 colors per cycle. Alot of people will be coming back to pve to finish up 4* respecs.

Most players aren't paying hp for health packs. Taco tokens generally provide more than enough hp to finish out a sub.

Competing for top 2 has always been competitive, especially for the players who have to front run to help support their pve alliances. This is only the first event with the new reward structure, but in actuality competition is actually lighter than new character release pve, but definitely busier than normal pve.

While Heroics are awful events, they are probably the fairest and most balanced for player competition. Specifically, 95% of the players will have to play the event with the exact same roster. I.e. Barring any dupes, King Dreadnought will have to use the exact same lineup that I will use.

I'll be curious to see how the scoring shakes out in the heroics.
  • Natsufan01
    Natsufan01 Posts: 259 Mover and Shaker
    My first top 10 finish was going for 4* Thor. Got a blue for her. Usually I only try for top 50. Now I'm motivated to work harder due to better rewards. I knew top 2 was out of the question. Top 10 is doable, the rewards just were never worth it. Now they are.

And before you ask, my best 4* is Thor at 9 covers. I have 8 level 166 3*. I'm not exactly overpowered, and I'm not softcapping to reduce difficulty in pve. It takes more time, but is much more attainable than 1k in pvp for underlevelled rosters. While on your way, get an LT for probably another 4*. It was a great improvement that gave me more reason to play. If you're only waiting for perfect resolutions to problems, you'll be waiting a lot time.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    They should have the PvE reward structure mimic the PvP one. Have a single 4* cover as part of the progression rewards, and then the legendary token be the ultimate progression prize. As it is, I can go to 1k in PvP pretty easily, most times without even using a shield. So that gets me 1 known 4* cover. For PvE, I can do 3 clears in a day, and then 2 hours of grinding a night for 3, 4 or 7 nights, and get a single known 4* cover (or maybe 2 if I get lucky. My roster isn't good enough to win PvE for 3 covers).

So the immense time sink that is PvE doesn't make it worth the rewards. If there was a 4* cover in the progression, then I could do my 3-4 clears a day and be done with it. So even though I could really, really, really use some Iceman covers, there's no chance that I going to grind Venom Heroic to get them.