Softcap level for 4*s???

Redrobot30
Redrobot30 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
edited January 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I haven't gotten to this level yet, but I was wondering what the "softcap" level for 4* characters would be? I guess this is a 2 part question: What level does the Iso cost go up alot (ie: 3* past lvl 120) and what levels do you increase a group of characters until you finally go all in and put them at 270? I currently have 4 4* characters that I can push higher than my lvl 166 3*s but I want to raise a larger group up at the same time. Thanks for any responses!

Comments

• morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Depends on what you're wanting to do with them.

At level 220, a maxed 3* at 166 will tank the primary colour of a 4*.
    4* match damage starts to take over from 3* after that point.

There's no hard and fast rule about how high you should push your 4*s. After hitting 220, I then pushed my frontline 4*s to level 250. It costs a bit over 78k iso to level them from 250 to 270, and you hardly gain anything in terms of match damage and ability damage for that investment, although you do gain in health. I've only recently levelled IMHB and JG to 270 from 250.

The exception to the rule is Px, where you don't want his strongest colour (blue) to exceed GSBW and SW when he's boosted. Level 166 is safe with Px from that perspective.
  • Zen808
    Zen808 Posts: 260
    It depends who they are. If guys like Elektra, Faptain, Star-Lord (i.e., in the bottom half of the tier) then them having higher levels will actually hinder you more than help you, and so don't bother. If they're good ones, like Hulkbuster, Jean, Iceman, etc., then try go 10-15 levels at a time, play a few events and see if the increased scaling is manageable.

Personally, how far above the pack I'll go is dependent on how many of them I can take. If only 2-4, I won't go much further than the rest of my characters. At the 3* level, I didn't really start raising my characters until I knew I had about 6 reliables that I could take at the same time. I've been following the same rule with 4*'s, which is why I capped them at 175. The only ones in my roster that have enough covers that are in the top half of the tier are Thoress and Jean, so I'm stuck there for the forseeable future.
  • Redrobot30
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind when I open up my boatload of tokens whenever the new update takes place. I should have over 200 tokens from various events to open up at that point and will hopefully get a decent amount of 4*s out if it. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Redrobot30
    Great chart aesthetocyst!
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    On behalf of everyone, thank you for those charts.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Zen808 wrote:
    It depends who they are. If guys like Elektra, Faptain, Star-Lord (i.e., in the bottom half of the tier) then them having higher levels will actually hinder you more than help you, and so don't bother. If they're good ones, like Hulkbuster, Jean, Iceman, etc., then try go 10-15 levels at a time, play a few events and see if the increased scaling is manageable.

Personally, how far above the pack I'll go is dependent on how many of them I can take. If only 2-4, I won't go much further than the rest of my characters. At the 3* level, I didn't really start raising my characters until I knew I had about 6 reliables that I could take at the same time. I've been following the same rule with 4*'s, which is why I capped them at 175. The only ones in my roster that have enough covers that are in the top half of the tier are Thoress and Jean, so I'm stuck there for the forseeable future.

This has changed without people acknowledging it, Mr Fantastic, Ghost Rider and Venom all arent exactly great 4 stars themselves, all 3 you listed can do more damage easier then these 3 can. Ghost rider require you get beat up, venoms strongest moves require tiles and making the enemy team stronger + more resistant to damage, Fantastic is just plain bad.

As niche as elektra and star lord are, they at least don't make the enemy team stronger with passives/ have 1 trick.

The string of 4's after jean and iceman have kinda shown the developers are kinda just flooding the tier with questionable characters.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    thx aes. that info is gold.

I'm very early in 4* play, maybe halfway through the transition, so other more experienced 4* players will likely have info with more weight behind it. I have my top 2 for pvp at 250 (don't see the ROI beyond that for now - will max eventually but way too many other iso needs for now). my ddq level is 145 - all characters that I think have a chance I try and get to 145. IW is the only one I'm leaving lower because she doesn't need it. between I've brought a few up (those I think will be worth it like kp, rulk, 4thor, xf) into the ~180 range and can play them with my 3*s and they are 227 with weekly boosts. (NOTE: that is just past where their costs start increasing) I probably will want that group raised to 200 or so, but only 1 of them is at 13 covers, so not clamoring for that. getting real close to giving in on putting iso into SS, but I'm being really wishy washy on that - pve t50 and LT are pretty easy still and if that gets screwy i'll be pretty bummed. on the other hand if I can cut my hopping hp spending in half, it'll be worth it.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards

3. 5* star costs are really nutty. Again, could post if requested, but would request to not be held responsible for any outbreaks of madness and foamy outrage. I think it's a job for Cthulhu icon_e_wink.gif

I would really love to see the chart for the 5s. I still have not started leveling them, so it would help a lot to know how much is going to cost (when I have enough covers icon_razz.gif )

And great work!
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares wrote:

3. 5* star costs are really nutty. Again, could post if requested, but would request to not be held responsible for any outbreaks of madness and foamy outrage. I think it's a job for Cthulhu icon_e_wink.gif

I would really love to see the chart for the 5s. I still have not started leveling them, so it would help a lot to know how much is going to cost (when I have enough covers icon_razz.gif )

And great work!
    I'd love to see the 5* graph, too. I've been leveling Silver Surfer (345 now!) and it's been baffling to me how costs go up and down between levels.
  • Piro_plock
    Piro_plock Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    Nice graphs, but I think cumulative costs would be more informative (e.g. how much of a total difference is there between two given levels).
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    Big thanks to OJSP and Aesthetocyst for those graphs.

Be careful, though! Post too many numbers in here and you're going to get this post moved to the Statistics subforum, where we will never see nor hear from it again.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Raffoon wrote:
    Big thanks to OJSP and Aesthetocyst for those graphs.

Be careful, though! Post too many numbers in here and you're going to get this post moved to the Statistics subforum, where we will never see nor hear from it again.

Which JUST happened to a thread of mine like two days ago.

*sigh
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    DayvBang wrote:
    I'd love to see the 5* graph, too. I've been leveling Silver Surfer (345 now!) and it's been baffling to me how costs go up and down between levels.

Well, here you go. Graph of 5* Level costs. It's baffling, but consistently baffling. Like a random number sequence, but contained within a constricting range:

5%20star%20level%20costs_zpsrndjr4j2.jpg

That is indeed baffling.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    I believe I'm well qualified to answer OP. My max level for 4 star.png is at 181 b/c if he is featured for a pve event, he'll be boosted to level 271. If you consider pve scaling, the higher the buffed 4 star.png , the higher your scaling will be. And since I'm a competitive t10 pve player, I can't afford that. Thus, for me personally 181 is my max softcap.

Additionally, I have a bunch of 4 star.png set at 173 for two reasons. First is the cost of iso will increase at a higher rate beyond 170s, as noted in the charts. Second, at 173 the character's health will be around 9.000, which is quite decent for general pve/pvp/shield use.

Alternatively, if you don't have any 5 star.png on your roster, and you're a 3 star.png transitioner, you might want to consider having everyone at 166 for mmr/pve scaling.
  • Redrobot30
    puppychow wrote:
    I believe I'm well qualified to answer OP. My max level for 4 star.png is at 181 b/c if he is featured for a pve event, he'll be boosted to level 271. If you consider pve scaling, the higher the buffed 4 star.png , the higher your scaling will be. And since I'm a competitive t10 pve player, I can't afford that. Thus, for me personally 181 is my max softcap.

Additionally, I have a bunch of 4 star.png set at 173 for two reasons. First is the cost of iso will increase at a higher rate beyond 170s, as noted in the charts. Second, at 173 the character's health will be around 9.000, which is quite decent for general pve/pvp/shield use.

Alternatively, if you don't have any 5 star.png on your roster, and you're a 3 star.png transitioner, you might want to consider having everyone at 166 for mmr/pve scaling.

This as well as the chart from aes hits everything and more as to what I was looking forward to right now. I always see you at the top of my PvE bracket so I'll definitely take your word icon_e_biggrin.gif puppychow. Thanks for all the great info again everyone.
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    puppychow wrote:

Just as a bit of a counterpoint, I went to a similar point when I leveled my first 3*s to max (put my best 4*s only up to about there). I've since leveled those top 4*s (Jean, Red Hulk, IMHB, Cyclops) to about 210 (not enough iso to go higher) for PvP help and have maintained top-10 PvE all along (top-2 for Miles' release).

Scaling gets a little wonky when one of those is essential, but not unmanageably so.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    As mentioned, PX is his own special brand.

I parked all of mine at 172: this is a nice spot where you can hit the "max" button at 8 (if it's 5/2/1) or 9 (other configurations) covers...I hate leveling level by level, takes forever. Some have mentioned about here is where the price starts to go up, and they are usable for PVE. I've been beating all the 4* DDQ's with 172's, so that's a good spot for that as well. I'll probably go up to ~220 (another ISO jump around there) eventually, for DDQ reasons.

But for PVP I'm a strong advocate of 270, and not soft-capping. 220/250 (where you stop getting damage boosts) indicate at best "weak" (not as much health) and possibly worse "under-covered" (easy) when folks are quickly choosing who to attack.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I planned on capping mine at 255, so that they're up to par with the scaling that'll result from inevitably having all three 5*'s sitting in my roster at 1-2 covers.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    SnowcaTT wrote:

But for PVP I'm a strong advocate of 270, and not soft-capping. 220/250 (where you stop getting damage boosts) indicate at best "weak" (not as much health) and possibly worse "under-covered" (easy) when folks are quickly choosing who to attack.

Agree 100% on this part. In pvp, you are more likely to get hit when you use a level 250 character instead of a 270 character. Especially when the character is boosted, the discrepancy increases.

Basic psychology at work here. Should I hit someone who has two maxed character or someone with un-max characters if both yield the same amount of points? Obviously the latter.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    how many times are you choosing between the exact same points? to me, points drive my choices much more than 20 levels do. if level 270 team is worth 55 pts and level 250 team is worth 48, I'm going with the 55 pts. I don't disagree that 270 is more of a deterrent than 250, but iso is so underprovided compared to the needs in the top parts of the game, I haven't yet chosen to put off bringing along other characters in favor of maxing jeanbuster. I will at some point but not yet. some have to get to a reasonable level for ddq. others, like kp and 4thor, I've brought to 180 and had a blast with them in sim this week. really, they could run LRs every day of the week and it might be enough to barely keep up. later in the transition, i'll be maxing the key ones I'm sure. until I feel 250 doesn't work well enough, I'm choosing to leave them there.

btw - not really disagreeing with you guys for where y'all are. as an early-mid transitioner, I'm just trying to maximize my ROI and do things most effectively/efficiently. does that make sense or do you guys disagree and think that a pair of 270s is more important than all the rest? thanks.