Dear devlopers, how often do you play test?

2»

Comments

• Exactly. They shouldn't be trying to make nodes that you can't winfinite all the time. It should have never been in the game to begin with if they decided that mystique mags didn't belong.

As for the people with strong 4* roster chiming in and agreeing that scaling is an issue. It's wonderful that you agree but I could probably pilot any roster that had things like max rulk, jg, ant man and 4thor max covered and highly leveled to top 2.

The issue I'm specifically talking about is how we now have people who are saddled with max roster scaling despite clearly not actually being in a position where that should be happening. The developers promised us that the 5* shouldn't impact scaling and it took them months to just acknowledge that they were plain as day wrong about that.

As far as I'm concerned there should only be 2 types of scaling rather than the current 3. Right now, it's based on "roster strength" (the average level of your top leveled characters), amount of times nodes are cleared, and performance (somehow calculated based on things like damage taken and how fast you beat a node). There's no need for performance scaling. It's a stupid system that discourages people to just play the game as well as possible.

Additionally, people with weaker rosters do deserve to fight weaker opponents. Those lower tier players are pretty much already locked out of progression through pvp until they do a massive reward tier overhaul in it so anyone advocating for those weaker rosters to not get some sort of field leveling are just trying to push down the people who are already well below them.

Soft capping rosters isn't something that should be encouraged but before we demonize everyone who soft caps a roster we need to acknowledge that most, not all of them, don't have a better alternative. Think about how much it sucks being in shield jail because you have to wait on your cool downs, it's many times worse concerning iso with 5*s in the game. I'm complaining that my scaling screwed me out of top 2 but there are many people who are screwed far worse because of how expensive it's to level a 3*, let alone a 4*.

This is independent of my firm belief that a node like green red goon feeder, venom, carnage is bad design. But the bad design is compounded by the scaling issues that have plagued the game and have been exacerbated by 5*s.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    I've read a few of your posts on this subject, and I'm puzzled why you seem to be focused on winfinite as what's necessary to beat this. I know a LOT of people talk about it right now, and I suspect I share your annoyance - it's totally not helpful when you ask "How do I beat this node" and eight geniuses respond "use winfinite." I've got a two-blue PX, so it's not even in the realm of possibility for me, but I've managed pretty well by going to my stun characters.

I was probably in the exact same spot as you on the last node of Ghost Rider - I wiped twice, beat it once, and said never again with this horse hockey - but others succeeded with (non-winfinite) teams that I hadn't bothered to consider. Point is, it's not unwinnable, but it has required some different thinking, and I don't think that's a mark of bad playtesting.
  • You haven't really read my post if you think winfinite is the central focus on it.
  • The Bob The
    I've read it. This was your first paragraph.
    Seriously. I'm in the middle of my final grind for the third sub and I'm trying to keep my top two placement and I realized that there's a nice big sign saying "must have winfinite to keep placement."

You make several points that I agree with, so I only posted in response to the part I didn't: The repeated implication that winfinite is necessary to keep desired placement.
  • The implication is that winfinite is part of the problem of badly designed nodes. They make things like red green feeder, venom, carnage nodes because winfinite exists since it's one of the few things that can create some hindrance to it and that even then it can be fairly consistent since we have stuns. Additionally it's that these nodes are made to make it difficult for a team that only a tiny few at the top have access to. If they didn't like the concept, and they obviously don't like the idea of an infinite combo since they removed the lower tier one, then they shouldn't counter it with nodes but by removing it.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ah remember how much fun PVE was before Community Scaling was turned off? I use to never be able to complete any of the nodes and now I can. You're obviously very competitive so of course your scaling is going to be cranked up. I notice when I skip a PVE event, the next event is not as difficult. Take a break after this PVE is over, it may help.

Anyways, whenever I cannot beat a node, I bring Hulk, his angers normally does the trick! Now I bring Red Hulk as his partner and together they create Green Beat downs.

Btw goon feeding has always existed in the game, not because there is winfinite.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    I bring Hulk, his angers normally does the trick! Now I bring Red Hulk as his partner and together they create Green Beat downs.

ok, who for the 3rd? Mags maybe for some rainbow action? I need to try the Hulks team, and will be trying it today!
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:
    I bring Hulk, his angers normally does the trick! Now I bring Red Hulk as his partner and together they create Green Beat downs.

ok, who for the 3rd? Mags maybe for some rainbow action? I need to try the Hulks team, and will be trying it today!

I used Black Panther because his yellow is cheap and his strike tiles worked well with Carnage's attack tiles. I originally tried Daken but Carnage's AOE wiped him out very quickly.

This is the first time I've used it so I don't know who I would use this for the future. Probably would keep BP for the rainbow. This will only work until I level Red Hulk above the power of Hulk's Green. Right now my Red Hulk is 1/5/5 lvl 170.

Obviously you'll need healthpacks (assuming you're grinding the node) but this team did not lose against the Venom/Carnage/Goon nodes, including the Miles one.
  • The Bob The
    The implication is that winfinite is part of the problem of badly designed nodes. They make things like red green feeder, venom, carnage nodes because winfinite exists since it's one of the few things that can create some hindrance to it and that even then it can be fairly consistent since we have stuns. Additionally it's that these nodes are made to make it difficult for a team that only a tiny few at the top have access to. If they didn't like the concept, and they obviously don't like the idea of an infinite combo since they removed the lower tier one, then they shouldn't counter it with nodes but by removing it.

Thanks for explaining it in greater detail for me. I'd submit I think the current nodes are designed as (difficult) puzzles, but the idea that there's been an increase in punishment for not solving those puzzles is an interesting possiblity.
  • The Bob The
    Malcrof wrote:

If only there was some kind of Hulk character with an active blue that buffed green. If onnnnnnly ... no, not now, Cho, I'm trying to think ... if onnnnnnnnnlllyyyy....

EDIT: Forgot they don't play together, so I'm leaving in this Idiot Edit as penance. Well, there's always Shulkie.
  • No problem. The initial post was very rage fueled and I definitely believe winfinite has no place in the game but I don't want that to be the take away from my thread. I like to think my position on scaling and design is based on more than just my dislike of winfinite.
  • Redrobot30
    Redrobot30 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    Simple answer to this one is that the Grinch stole the CP nodes in this one.
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    **** nodes have always been a part of the game, even Long before any of the so called "winfinite" teams existed.
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    I'd also say that part of the problem lies in the fact that speed matters in MPQ. It matters in shield hop matches, and it matters in PvE refresh clears. It especially matters in the end of sub grind downs. Winfinite is fast, and it conserves health packs (when it works). So, naturally people are going to revert to a combo like that, if it gives them an advantage. It's certainly one of the reasons why I like the Gauntlet so much. With the time pressure off, you can play the game as a puzzler.