Dear devlopers, how often do you play test?

LegendReborn
LegendReborn Posts: 301
edited December 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Seriously. I'm in the middle of my final grind for the third sub and I'm trying to keep my top two placement and I realized that there's a nice big sign saying "must have winfinite to keep placement."

I get it. You need to pump up difficulty because you made a terribly designed infinite combo but guess what. NOT EVERYONE HAS PROFESSOR X MAXED or even wants to use that stupid combo. It shouldn't be in the game to begin with and you guys removed mystique mags but of course prof x is fine because reasons.

Thanks for the big middle finger. Now at least I know not to bother pushing in venom the next time it comes up in pve. Please let us know when you decide to not play test so we know to take it easy.

Less rage filled central point:

My complaint essentially is that scaling is something that has desperately been needed to be addressed. People honing in on how I have a burning hatred for the fact that any infinite combo exists in the game and saying "ah, this is just someone trying to game the system" is missing the main point, which is partially my fault.

Scaling is atrocious and I shouldn't need to either 1. rely on a constant stream of team ups to prop me up with hopes of getting a board that has the tiles necessary to get mbw off, 2. just have a wider range of 4* when I've been advancing at essentially the fastest rate someone can without outright buying covers or 3. soft scale myself. I hit 1.3k consistently in pvp. I hit top 10 with a few top 2 placement in pve a month. I don't soft cap anything. I have more than enough experience evaluating nodes and understanding how to approach them. What I do want is an explanation on why it's acceptable for someone like carnage to be unloading his scythes on me on his turn 2 because I didn't get a stun off.

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lots of good info on how to beat the nodes without winfinite here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=37215

For the final node, on the 2nd clear, i did have to use an mbw stun team up on carnage for fistclops to get going, but fist + cyclops = crits and board shakes (only take 2 purple matches to start it going, kk for heals, worked twice now.

The cascades and cyc red do a great job of clearing out special tiles!
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Prof X maxed won't get winfinite going. Not sure where you got your info from. It will work with buffed GSBW but on normal situations maxed PX will give you blue AP.
  • Every single one of those requires some element of luck. You try grinding to top 2 hoping to get a decent enough board to stun before you get comboed to death. I don't just need to beat the node once. I need to beat it 5 times with scaling. It's a load of **** without something like winfinite.

As far as maxed prof x, I meant his covers obviously. No one should have to spell that out if someone understands what winfinite refers to but good clarification.

If you aren't someone who's ever hit top 2, you don't understand how absurd scaling can get in decent pves. This is bad design but it's managable I you are aiming to beat the node a handful of times. It's completely different trying to grind it down.
  • Huatimus
    Huatimus Posts: 115
    I've hit top 2 a couple of times, and I've done that before and after the winfinite combo, but I seriously don't think that winfinite is an autowin button.
    I think you need to try out using winfinite on those overscaled nodes first before you are qualified to claim that:"It's a load of **** without something like winfinite."
  • Of course it isn't an auto win button but it's essentially the definitive way to deal with the terrible scaling in the game. And to act like it isn't is hilarious. It gives the devlopers an excuse not to address how scaling is terrible outside of gimmicks. To top it off, winfinite is the king of pve gimmicks.

Seriously, can anyone honestly say winfinite is indicative of good design. They removed the poor man's infinite combo but let the expensive one stay in because... well I don't know.
  • Bulls
    Bulls Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    This is probably worst of possible pve events for winfinite that you could imagine to the point where it's better not to use it. With that overscaling that you're complaining so much about it simply doesn't work unless perfect board appears but that can be said for anything else that works here. There are compositions that can grind those nodes down to double (sorry I didnt bother to keep it going deeper as its still xmass time) with little to no hp investments. So instead of wasting time on forum better think about solition. Afterall you're playing PUZZLE game icon_e_wink.gif
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    I have every character in the game on my roster, and I have NOT used winfinite combo at all for this pve. currently t10 in my bracket, and I'm happy to NOT be pushing for t2. icon_lol.gif

My pve philosophy is to try to use whoever is buffed for the difficult nodes. For me this means if, cage, she hulk, gamora. Their buffed status equals extra health to handle those pesky venom/carnage nodes. icon_cool.gif
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Of course it isn't an auto win button but it's essentially the definitive way to deal with the terrible scaling in the game. And to act like it isn't is hilarious. It gives the devlopers an excuse not to address how scaling is terrible outside of gimmicks. To top it off, winfinite is the king of pve gimmicks.

Seriously, can anyone honestly say winfinite is indicative of good design. They removed the poor man's infinite combo but let the expensive one stay in because... well I don't know.

On another pve I will be one with your comments about winfinite.

But not for this pve. Carnage-venom-symbiote is tough for any team INCLUDING winfinite. If your sw cd spawn in the corner, you are certain to take a scythe hit, which takes out a huge chunk of health for PX.

If you want to complain about the difficulty, sure go ahead. But no winfinite is not the solution for the node. Many people who responded to this OP have already said that winfinite is not auto win.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    The leader in my bracket is 10K past the LT and has an unplayable 2/1/0 Prof X, but does have a solid lvl 160 3* Roster. (I should probably just end my post here).

I've got those icon_carnage.png and icon_venom.png nodes locked down without using winfinte (my Prof X isn't quite there yet either) and I'm only half-way to the LT. Top 100 is not looking good.

I'm sorry, but the competition is simply better at grinding than either of us. That's all there is to it. Maybe you'll get an easier bracket next time.
  • Huatimus
    Even though you're practically ignoring any discussion on why winfinite isn't the best option to this PVE, I would still like to state for the record that I ended up using Hulk Bombing to clear the last node instead of winfinite. I couldn't clear with winfinite or afford to spend 3 health packs each time i failed. Hulk bombing seems more efficient and eats only 1 health pack a clear, which would make the grind down to 0 more feasible.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Every single one of those requires some element of luck. You try grinding to top 2 hoping to get a decent enough board to stun before you get comboed to death. I don't just need to beat the node once. I need to beat it 5 times with scaling. It's a load of **** without something like winfinite.

As far as maxed prof x, I meant his covers obviously. No one should have to spell that out if someone understands what winfinite refers to but good clarification.

If you aren't someone who's ever hit top 2, you don't understand how absurd scaling can get in decent pves. This is bad design but it's managable I you are aiming to beat the node a handful of times. It's completely different trying to grind it down.

Someone's getting top 2, but since it's not you then the game is unfair? The game wasn't play tested since you might not get top 2?

Nice thread.
  • Huatimus
    I used Loki but ended up not using any of his abilities. Probably will switch to KK/Daken for the grind down later.
  • Azoic
    Azoic Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    I was logging on to actually pose the same question. Do the developers play test with fully covered, lvl100 characters? Because this whole event has been a freaking nightmare for me with a lot of 270s. I've never wiped on so many essentials in my life. I actually just stopped playing after 2 wipes on the final sub against yet another Carnage-feeder node (3-turn scythes? Great idea devs!)

They apparently don't know the meaning of fun, which is very apparent after Galactus and this event. But hey, makes it easier to give up pve and pull more and more away from the game.
  • Bulls
    Bulls Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    If you dont want a challenge then you can play regular bejeweled. You're complaining about carnage with feeders but honestly how else they could put something challenging against so well developed rooster? There are ways to deal with that, those fights will hurt most of the time but still that's more entertaining than ovescaled to the moon jugg.
  • Malcrof
    Top spot in my bracket is a softcapped 3* roster.. that is what i hope they fix someday.. i work hard for my iso and covers, and losing because i level my roster, that is rough. I have on;y hit t2 3 times, all 3 were before i completed a 4* and leveled anyone over 120. SO it has been a long time since i have gotten better than t10, and that IS using my winfinite or other crazy combos (fistbuster, jeanbuster, cagefist, fistclops in this particular scenario)
  • I have an incredibly developed roster. This isn't about me crying over not getting top two with a soft capped roster. Heck, I'm sure I could have easily kept top 2 if I was soft capped and had been flushing my 5*s and not leveling up my well covered 4*s.

My complaint essentially is that scaling is something that has desperately been needed to be addressed. People honing in on how I have a burning hatred for the fact that any infinite combo exists in the game and saying "ah, this is just someone trying to game the system" is missing the main point, which is partially my fault.

Scaling is atrocious and I shouldn't need to either 1. rely on a constant stream of team ups to prop me up with hopes of getting a board that has the tiles necessary to get mbw off, 2. just have a wider range of 4* when I've been advancing at essentially the fastest rate someone can without outright buying covers or 3. soft scale myself. I hit 1.3k consistently in pvp. I hit top 10 with a few top 2 placement in pve a month. I don't soft cap anything. I have more than enough experience evaluating nodes and understanding how to approach them. I don't need some tips about how stunning someone on a turn they are about to get a power off is a good idea. What I do want is an explanation on why it's acceptable for someone like carnage to be unloading his scythes on me on his turn 2 because I didn't get a stun off.

By the way, I'm a team up ****. You can ask my alliance but my lack of mbw team ups is never the issue.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards

Scaling is something they should fix. Agree on that. In the last communication or video (I can't remember), they mentioned they have some thing in store to fix this aspect. We should see...
  • Malcrof
    I think when the first 2 subs were desperately easy, we got complacent. Then we got hit with these nasty subs.. Which makes them seem worse.. but imagine those nodes in a heroic pve type setting, trust me, i will gladly take them as is.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    In the last sub with carnage and venom with R/G feeder and I have to use morales I found 4Thor with Loki much better than anything with Pro, X. I tried IF, Cage and got crushed. I am glad I am not in position to be top 2 or top 10 because I would throw my iPad because of some of these nodes.

As far as the OP's point I do think D3 is trying to make matches that will be difficult for winfinity to beat because they see it being used so much in PVE. Look at the first Galactus event. It was Hulk who was the savior in that event not Pro X. If the normal nodes don't have a cheep move like Headbutt, onslaught, or symbiotic scyth winfinity can make he node done if wand's tile makes a match 5.

Here are other ways to win and other teams that can go fast and take a hit. If winfinity loses one you are probably needing 3 HP. With 4Thor Loki storm you can survive losing Loki or storm and still win.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    "Trying to make matches that will be difficult for winfinity to beat" is self-defeating, though. Instead of punishing the vast majority of players, who don't have the characters required to do this, they should just get rid of winfinite and be done with it. The forums will inevitably explode in rage, but if they announce it on a Friday evening and then go home for the weekend like they usually do, it won't be so bad for them.

OP's point that they nerfed Magneto and Mystique because of winfinite, and yet left higher-tier characters alone, is very telling IMO.