PSA: Please Don't Post Spoilers!

Comments

• TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Guessing at what the feature is = spoilers?

Wat?
  • mouser
    mouser Posts: 529 Critical Contributor
    jobob wrote:
    So are you trying to limit spoilers, or inaccurate information? Because those are two very different things

Spoilers period are prohibited actually, but we normally try and be a little lenient where we can, just in this very specific case there's been a rash of discussion about some data that was mined about a month ago, and we want to nip that in the bud so expectations are not inaccurate, as it's been confirmed we will not be getting that feature - or at least not in the embodiment that it has been spoiled in the past.

Technically the site rules don't say spoilers are prohibited. It says D3 reserves the right to delete posts for a multitude of reasons, one of which being if they consider it a spoiler.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    We'd like to avoid false presumptions based on incomplete data as to quell any potential disappointment going forward.
    Disappointment? Based on what was leaked, we'd all be thrilled if it turns out to be something else...
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    3 questions.

1. Is this really worth yet another sticky taking up half the front page with stickies?

2. Shouldn't some sort of community manager be posting this sort of thing?

3. Is there still a community manager?

Maybe if the devs weren't so tight arsed with information some wouldn't resort to data mining. It's a bloody match 3 game for crying out loud, I doubt industrial espionage is that much an issue that people need to eat memos to stop information getting into the commies hands.
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    D3: Do what you have to do to keep expectations as low as possible. No matter how low the bar is now, it can always be lower. Don't let people raise it with their silly hopes and dreams!

icon_lol.gif
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Linkster79 wrote:
    3 questions.

1. Is this really worth yet another sticky taking up half the front page with stickies?

2. Shouldn't some sort of community manager be posting this sort of thing?

3. Is there still a community manager?
    1. The developers have taken a firm position against spoilers. We'd rather warn people not to post them than have to do a bunch of post disappearances, warnings, or bans.

2. The community manager gets time off work. Mods never sleep.

3. Yes!
  • Nightglider1
    Nightglider1 Posts: 703 Critical Contributor
    TLCstormz wrote:

Wat?

Apparently.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    You know what? No. This is a stupid rule. I can post them if I want to.

I might get a ban for this, but I don't care.

Here's one to get you started:
    def79302-e1ab-4221-8c2e-114fbbb6d18d_zpsisqmtyfj.jpg

Here's a whale of a spoiler:
    dolphin-car-spoiler_zps9rd9as1p.jpg

And finally, here's the big one.
    funny-car-spoilers-19_zpswazipxmx.jpg?t=1450842808

Bring it on, mods.

w9p52_zpsruaovm3g.jpg

That last spoiler is ridiculous and unbelievable. I think you're just trolling us.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    TLCstormz wrote:

Wat?

Apparently.

Posting obviously data mined info is considered spoilers. For instance, knowing the exact names and details of things not released or announced, makes is painfully obvious that you have either datamined, or visited a spoiler site etc...

Those are the posts that go away.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:
    TLCstormz wrote:

Wat?

Apparently.

Posting obviously data mined info is considered spoilers. For instance, knowing the exact names and details of things not released or announced, makes is painfully obvious that you have either datamined, or visited a spoiler site etc...

theres spoiler sites of this (or any other) games... I really never knew that. Hopefully we get new news this week and features hit next thursday (hopefully next mondaY)
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    I worked real hard and wound up with this spoiler....
    ridiculous-car-spoilers-2.jpg
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    We should get some clue as to what the feature is, I'm sitting on over 60 covers in my queue and 17 tokens. And that's tame compared to some in my alliance sitting on well over 1000 tokens
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    We should get some clue as to what the feature is, I'm sitting on over 60 covers in my queue and 17 tokens. And that's tame compared to some in my alliance sitting on well over 1000 tokens

No kidding. I know some people that have 2k+ Standard Tokens, close to a hundred Heroics, plus Events and Legendary.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:
    TLCstormz wrote:

Wat?

Apparently.

But how would you know if that information has been released/announced? I could easily post something that looks legit but is entirely fabricated. What if I'm just guessing but I turn out to guess correctly? Black Bolt was my first guess based on the current teaser, so here's a guess for his powers. It's got a lot of the current "flavours of the month" - board shake, a split ability, and the whole two actives + one passive. This is all entirely conjecture.

greenflag.png Quasi-Sonic Scream (12 AP)
    Consumes all green AP. Deals X damage per AP. Also destroys 1 random time for every 5 AP spent on casting. Does not generate AP.

Rank 2: increase damage
    Rank 3: destroys 1 tile for every 4 AP spent
    Rank 4: increase damage
    Rank 5: destroys 1 tile for every 3 AP spent

blueflag.pngParticle Manipulation (7 AP)
    Creates 3 strength X protect tiles.
    While there are 3 or more friendly protect tiles in play, this ability becomes Concussive Blasts

blueflag.pngAlternate: Concussive Blasts (9 AP)
    Deals Y damage to target enemy. Destroys up to 3 friendly protect tiles and stuns target for 1 turn.

Rank 2: increase strength of protect tiles
    Rank 3: Concussive Blasts destroys up to 2 friendly Protect tiles
    Rank 4: increase strength of protect tiles
    Rank 5: Concussive Blasts destroys 1 friendly Protect tile

yellowflag.pngIt's Good to be King (Passive)
    Whenever Black Bolt or his allies makes a Yellow match, improve 2 random friendly tiles by X.
    Black Bolt is immune to stun.

Rank 2: also improves tiles after Black Bolt or his allies make a Blue match.
    Rank 3: improved tiles are now increased by X
    Rank 4: also improves tiles after Black Bolt or his allies make a Green match.
    Rank 5: improve 3 random friendly tiles
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    It would be great to know when I can stop deleting all my covers one by one.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    mpqr7 wrote:
    It would be great to know when I can stop deleting all my covers one by one.
    or a select feature to sell selected covers at once. or sell all 1*/2* feature. or...
    many ways to make that better if they'd just implement one of them would be great.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    If you are going to be doing any data mining, I strongly suggest you pick up this highly necessary tool:
    41PwYTvwOZL._SX355_.jpg
  • Mawtful wrote:

But how would you know if that information has been released/announced? I could easily post something that looks legit but is entirely fabricated. What if I'm just guessing but I turn out to guess correctly?

Probably depends how trustworthy you find said datamined information.

Like, before the new Spiderman and Venom release, I peeked at one of the spoilerblogs out of curiosity and they datamined a new Spiderman and new Venom, and had their powers listed.

BUT.... in their descriptions of Spiderman's powers, they mentioned "Peter", not Miles. And obv. Venom's powers changed a bit before release, too.

The datamine was accurate for the important spoiler part, but the data wasn't exactly complete.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    colwag wrote:
    Mawtful wrote:

But how would you know if that information has been released/announced? I could easily post something that looks legit but is entirely fabricated. What if I'm just guessing but I turn out to guess correctly?

Probably depends how trustworthy you find said datamined information.

Like, before the new Spiderman and Venom release, I peeked at one of the spoilerblogs out of curiosity and they datamined a new Spiderman and new Venom, and had their powers listed.

BUT.... in their descriptions of Spiderman's powers, they mentioned "Peter", not Miles. And obv. Venom's powers changed a bit before release, too.

The datamine was accurate for the important spoiler part, but the data wasn't exactly complete.

Ah, sorry, bit of mis-communication on my behalf. When I said "how would you know" I meant "how would the mods know". Since mods are going to remove posts which reference specific details (such as ability names), then they have to know what those details actually are.
    Either they're getting advanced notification from the devs - in which case why not just release it all anyway? - or they're datamining/reading spoiler sites themselves - so if it's ok for mods then why isn't it ok for the rest of us?

So we can't post specific details, but we're still allowed to guess, but what happens if someone guesses correctly?
    Guessing colours based off the character name is highly probable - you may not get the right order, but there's only a finite number of possibilities.
    Guessing the powers for a character, well that's a bit harder, although the devs do tend to stick to certain patterns - especially in the 4* tier. At my count there are 10 out of 25 4*'s that have two actives and one passive, 4 of those have been in the last 3 months, so I think it's a pretty solid guess. The specific powers are all hybrids of existing stuff, just presented in a slightly new way. Black Bolt's scream is called the "Quasi-Sonic Scream" on his Marvel wiki page - it's easily his defining ability and it's got a specific name, so I'd very much expect that he would have it as an ability and it would be named correctly. So does guessing it count as spoiling if it actually does turn up in the game?
  • Eh, I don't think those would count for those sorts of spoilers. Like.

If you look at old Character Threads, in the ones that are originally posted as "Unknown" with just lists of abilities and colors in pure gameplay mode, people will spend the first few pages of the topic trying to guess who it is, and what those abilities might be representing.

If you go back and peek at them, and see the ones that got it right, they weren't exactly hidden. (Miles Moralas was pretty predictable, complete with camouflage and a Venom Blast)

I think there's a subjective line in where it's obvious how much detail there is and how much can be reasonably guessed.

....I also think the Mods may peek at the same spoiler threads too just so they can be extra sure. icon_razz.gif