thank you for nothing[A Goodbye Thread]

Cunneryn
Cunneryn Posts: 112
edited December 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I've been seing frequently those post about prople letting out their frustration and writing their reasons to play the game while hating on d3 at the same time. I hated those topics. Never did i think my turn would come. With the slight difference that i dont blame d3 for my departure. I just realised that this game is definitely not made to be played by the world unluckiest person that i am. The only only thing i could blame d3 for is to allow COMPETITIVE play in a purely LUCK based gsme.

Here is a non exhaustive list of reasons:
1. Lack of sleep; the different slices of pvp starting eithe when i sleep or wheb i work, only the one 1 hour after my sleep time remains therefore explaining an permanant state of fatigue

2. Being wiped out by easy team 150 levels lower than mine because of non stop cascades against my heroes.

3. Failure: constant state of feeling inferior to everyone because of point 2. Which aggravates point 1 because im too upset to fall asleep. Everything leading to a near depression.

4. Poor rewards: how nice is it to finally beat the nodes you've been strugling on for the past hour.... NOT... only 20 iso as a reward followed by an endless stream of 2 stars from the progressions token.

5. Stagnation: a fealing of not going forward in a game because of 4 and because of the repetition of the same evrnt over snd iver again with the same ennemies over snd over again.... how many time should i watch moonstone hourlong animation...

And you know what worse? Knowing that i invested countess of hours and dollars on a game that in the end doesnt even bring me pleasure but only frustration and tiredness

I am now eager to start a new life thet is no longer being taken hostage by frustrstion and predeterminef playing time caused by mpq.... oh wait.... my partner still plays.... i guess mpq will still be in my life....

Mod Edit: Clarified Thread Title

Comments

• Redrobot30
    Redrobot30 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    Gotta say I just got over this slump you are feeling right now. I would always push hard and lead my alliance by grinding it out in PvE and getting top 100 in PvP every season. Finally you get to a point where your token pulls just don't get you anything and you can't stand fighting another Daken/Moonstone/Bullseye node and you just say screw it. The rock bottom point where you don't have fun playing the game anymore. What worked for me was just not playing it anymore. OK, OK, I would still play the Deadpool nodes but that was it. Totally stepped away from being competitive for a couple of weeks. I got to a place where I didn't feel I needed to always grind it out and would play at a more leisurely pace. It was great. Finding that point where you play only when you want to and not feeling like you have to is a good place to be. Find an alliance that doesn't stress top play would be a good idea too. Hopefully you find that nirvana and can enjoy the game again. Super long response I know, but just wanted to show a little support instead of just fueling the rage fire this time around.
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    Ewwww, PvE.

No, but seriously, why not take a small break? Get some sleep, watch some youtube, just relax for a while. If you feel the urge to get back in after say a week or two, then do so. If you don't, then don't. Pursue what makes you happy, don't feel obligated to force yourself to play a game you aren't enjoying.

I know it feels bad, after all you invested so much into it. It feels like a waste to just stop, right? Feels like you threw away money on nothing...
    But what you paid for was your enjoyment, which based on how long you've been playing, it sounds like you've gotten that fair share of it.
    Your money's worth, to so say, has already been returned. Don't feel tied because of time spent or money spent, you can always return.
    Its not going anywhere, but people who stay in relationships because despite it being bad for them they feel like they invested too much to stop...
    Thats bad for you, man.
  • You hit the end of the game! Congrats mate! Welcome back to real life, enjoy it icon_e_wink.gif
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    PvE burnout is common and easy to cure. Stop playing. Play each node once and grind a little for the CP, but beyond that it's pointless. PvP is a significantly better source of covers. Needless to say, PvP comes with a new set of gripes, but at least they're different, for now.

Seriously 7 days for 1 cover, I'll earn 2-4 in the same time while playing 75% less.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Hopefully, the immature tide of " lol, gud riddance, skrub " doesn't rear it's ugly head inhere, cuz this is a REAL PROBLEM.

I hope you find peace, TC.
  • Cunneryn
    Hendross wrote:
    PvE burnout is common and easy to cure. Stop playing. Play each node once and grind a little for the CP, but beyond that it's pointless. PvP is a significantly better source of covers. Needless to say, PvP comes with a new set of gripes, but at least they're different, for now.

Seriously 7 days for 1 cover, I'll earn 2-4 in the same time while playing 75% less.

Frustration wise PVP is even worse. Losing all those hardworked points feels like a knife to the back. But yeah i guess that sleep wise is better. But the same issue of the time of day is there. No matter hiw many fights i do, if i dint play in the last hour all the work will be undone by people playing only in the last hour, actually using my sonewhat high points to boost their climbing while i cant play near the end
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    Cunneryn wrote:
    Hendross wrote:

Frustration wise PVP is even worse. Losing all those hardworked points feels like a knife to the back. But yeah i guess that sleep wise is better. But the same issue of the time of day is there. No matter hiw many fights i do, if i dint play in the last hour all the work will be undone by people playing only in the last hour, actually using my sonewhat high points to boost their climbing while i cant play near the end

Pop a shield in the last 3. You should make enough HP just climbing the ladder to compensate for the 3h shield.
  • Cunneryn
    Redrobot30 wrote:
    Gotta say I just got over this slump you are feeling right now. I would always push hard and lead my alliance by grinding it out in PvE and getting top 100 in PvP every season. Finally you get to a point where your token pulls just don't get you anything and you can't stand fighting another Daken/Moonstone/Bullseye node and you just say screw it. The rock bottom point where you don't have fun playing the game anymore. What worked for me was just not playing it anymore. OK, OK, I would still play the Deadpool nodes but that was it. Totally stepped away from being competitive for a couple of weeks. I got to a place where I didn't feel I needed to always grind it out and would play at a more leisurely pace. It was great. Finding that point where you play only when you want to and not feeling like you have to is a good place to be. Find an alliance that doesn't stress top play would be a good idea too. Hopefully you find that nirvana and can enjoy the game again. Super long response I know, but just wanted to show a little support instead of just fueling the rage fire this time around.

Well since this game is grind everything at specific tine to get OK rewards or get nothing at all i dont think ill come back since there would be nothing winable with a limited time of play
  • Cunneryn
    Blahahah wrote:
    Cunneryn wrote:
    Hendross wrote:

Pop a shield in the last 3. You should make enough HP just climbing the ladder to compensate for the 3h shield.

My hp are needed to add roster spots so i dont want to waste it on shield
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Cunneryn wrote:
    Blahahah wrote:
    Cunneryn wrote:
    Hendross wrote:

My hp are needed to add roster spots so i dont want to waste it on shield

Since my spots are 1,000 a-piece I would agree. but if you make 725 and finish top 100 personally and alliance that's 300HP less 75, nets you 225. PVP has it's frustrations but no where close to PvE.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hendross wrote:
    Since my spots are 1,000 a-piece I would agree. but if you make 725 and finish top 100 personally and alliance that's 300HP less 75, nets you 225. PVP has it's frustrations but no where close to PvE.
    You need personal t10 and alliance t50 to get 300 HP from PVP.

Personal t100 with 725 plus alliance t100 gives you 175.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's weird that when they announced a progression reward of a legendary token I thought "Awesome! I do PvP anyway and I always end up with way more points than the final total needed. I'll get a 4* with every event!"

And then suddenly my desire to play PvP declined hugely. I suppose it's because the finishing line was moved further back, so whereas I could cross the line before and then everything after that was a bonus, now I cross the finish line and get told to carry on running another mile if I want to reach the table where the medals are handed out. I mean, I was doing that before anyway but now it feels like extra work.

Now that my 3* roster is complete barring levelling up Vision, Quicksilver and Colossus I have no need for placement rewards in PvE and I find doing that every 8 hours on repeat to be a long slog for a single legendary token. Even worse if it's a 7-day event, I mean jeez. In between the season I did something I haven't done for ages. I just did DDQ, got my Deadpool coins and played something else for the day. Didn't care about PvE and PvP was going to be a chore for no overall gain, so I skipped it.

It's a real shame, I miss pushing for that extra 3* cover so I'd get two instead of one if I worked a bit more. Now my placement is utterly irrelevent aside from earning ISO.

I know there's a new feature coming up but I've been excited for new stuff before only to find it barely even exists.
  • BearVenger
    BearVenger Posts: 453 Mover and Shaker
    I find doing that every 8 hours on repeat to be a long slog for a single legendary token. Even worse if it's a 7-day event, I mean jeez. In between the season I did something I haven't done for ages. I just did DDQ, got my Deadpool coins and played something else for the day. Didn't care about PvE and PvP was going to be a chore for no overall gain, so I skipped it.
    I know there's a new feature coming up but I've been excited for new stuff before only to find it barely even exists.

I feel you, DN, and I'm nowhere near as accomplished as you are in PvP.

I think I grinded 3x daily for three weeks straight in PvE events, and a fricking trip to the grocery store at the wrong hour of Day 2 knocked me out of getting a top 150 finish in the Ghost Rider event.

After that, I limped along for a few more days to close the season, but ultimately, I told my PvE alliance I didn't have it in me to grind for a week to get Spider-Man 4.0. I've been playing enough DDQ, PvE and PvP to pick up a token or two for an hour's play per day.

The thing with this game structure is that it's possible mentally to say, "Okay, I'll check out for a while and come back in when I'm ready," but psychologically, it's tough when new 4*s get released and then become essential for the next events. I haven't picked up one Iceman, Ghost Rider, or X-23 cover yet, and now I have a Spidey and Venom (and find 5K of HP for roster slots somewhere) to watch go past me.

This game trades on making you feel consistently behind the curve and too afraid to slow down any more than you're able to.
  • Roopesh80
    Roopesh80 Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
    Blahahah wrote:
    Ewwww, PvE.

No, but seriously, why not take a small break? Get some sleep, watch some youtube, just relax for a while. If you feel the urge to get back in after say a week or two, then do so. If you don't, then don't. Pursue what makes you happy, don't feel obligated to force yourself to play a game you aren't enjoying.

I know it feels bad, after all you invested so much into it. It feels like a waste to just stop, right? Feels like you threw away money on nothing...
    But what you paid for was your enjoyment, which based on how long you've been playing, it sounds like you've gotten that fair share of it.
    Your money's worth, to so say, has already been returned. Don't feel tied because of time spent or money spent, you can always return.
    Its not going anywhere, but people who stay in relationships because despite it being bad for them they feel like they invested too much to stop...
    Thats bad for you, man.

The last bit.... Couldn't have said it better myself....
  • rawfsu
    rawfsu Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    I have a feeling you're going to be back because your partner is still playing. Try and hold out as long as you can, because you definitely need a break. When you return, here are some things to consider....

1. It's just a game. If you're neglecting sleep, your partner, and other important things in life, take time to gain perspective. A game is supposed to be fun, not life encompassing.

2. Consider F2P. You don't have to open your wallet to play. I know we work hard (most of us) to make a living. You don't have to invest in this game heavily, or at all. If your money is better elsewhere, spend it elsewhere.

3. Don't chase the carrot. New characters are introduced to whet your appetite for more. Thing is, if you don't get the shiny new character, what's really going to happen? The world isn't going to end. You just go forward with the characters you have.

4. Slow and steady. Attached to point 2, you need to realize your roster can be built over time. Don't feel like your always behind some mystical 8-ball because your roster isn't what that other guys roster looks like. So what? How much money (and now we know cheating) did that other guy to get there? There's a player that has poured $1,000's of dollars into his roster. Congrats to him. It's taken me time to get my roster where I am, but hey, it is what it is. I'm not going to touch some people's rosters for a LONG time, but I do the best with what I have got. I just know my roster will grow slow and steady.

5. PVE. PVE SUCKS! I barely play it. AT ALL. Sometimes, I just want to get a recruit token and don't even get that far. It's long, tedious, and annoying. I'm playing the ISO-Brotherhood, but only because I'm in a LAZY bracket. I do one, ONE, clear a night. I'm in top 25. If it weren't for that, ISO-Brotherhood wouldn't be a thought in my mind. I'm fine with no Legendary Token and no new character if it means spending countless hours grinding old content. BUMP that.

6. PVP. Start your climb on the last day, in the last hours. Starting any earlier is going to get you sniped, A LOT. When you start late, the less likely this is going to happen. Also, credit to a former alliance mate (Eggers) for making this point. If you can keep yourself to one three hour shield, once you hit 725 in PVP, you've paid for it and have 25 HP leftover. If you can finish top 100, you get another 25 HP. Then, if you can find yourself a decent enough alliance, you can get another 50 HP award.

7. Alliance. Find one, and a good one that's not too hardcore. If they have LINE, get on there. It'll add a whole layer of gameplay. Who knows, you might make some friends as well. It'll help add more fun to playing.

Seven pointers to try and help you IF you find your way back.
  • Cunneryn
    rawfsu wrote:
    I have a feeling you're going to be back because your partner is still playing. Try and hold out as long as you can, because you definitely need a break. When you return, here are some things to consider....

1. It's just a game. If you're neglecting sleep, your partner, and other important things in life, take time to gain perspective. A game is supposed to be fun, not life encompassing.

2. Consider F2P. You don't have to open your wallet to play. I know we work hard (most of us) to make a living. You don't have to invest in this game heavily, or at all. If your money is better elsewhere, spend it elsewhere.

3. Don't chase the carrot. New characters are introduced to whet your appetite for more. Thing is, if you don't get the shiny new character, what's really going to happen? The world isn't going to end. You just go forward with the characters you have.

4. Slow and steady. Attached to point 2, you need to realize your roster can be built over time. Don't feel like your always behind some mystical 8-ball because your roster isn't what that other guys roster looks like. So what? How much money (and now we know cheating) did that other guy to get there? There's a player that has poured $1,000's of dollars into his roster. Congrats to him. It's taken me time to get my roster where I am, but hey, it is what it is. I'm not going to touch some people's rosters for a LONG time, but I do the best with what I have got. I just know my roster will grow slow and steady.

5. PVE. PVE SUCKS! I barely play it. AT ALL. Sometimes, I just want to get a recruit token and don't even get that far. It's long, tedious, and annoying. I'm playing the ISO-Brotherhood, but only because I'm in a LAZY bracket. I do one, ONE, clear a night. I'm in top 25. If it weren't for that, ISO-Brotherhood wouldn't be a thought in my mind. I'm fine with no Legendary Token and no new character if it means spending countless hours grinding old content. BUMP that.

6. PVP. Start your climb on the last day, in the last hours. Starting any earlier is going to get you sniped, A LOT. When you start late, the less likely this is going to happen. Also, credit to a former alliance mate (Eggers) for making this point. If you can keep yourself to one three hour shield, once you hit 725 in PVP, you've paid for it and have 25 HP leftover. If you can finish top 100, you get another 25 HP. Then, if you can find yourself a decent enough alliance, you can get another 50 HP award.

7. Alliance. Find one, and a good one that's not too hardcore. If they have LINE, get on there. It'll add a whole layer of gameplay. Who knows, you might make some friends as well. It'll help add more fun to playing.

Seven pointers to try and help you IF you find your way back.

I guess those are all good points, but:

1. I agree, the frustration induced by the game kept me from sleeping

2. Its not like I spent a lot of money, but still, it feels like a waste considering everything

3. Why not chase the carrot if its the only prize. I feel like your are only rewarded with useless tokens if you don't do anything. Only by pushing it can you have slight chance of being T100 or less.

4. Slow and steady? Alright I can get coverse from the ddq, but what else is there to gain by going slow and steady? standard token? event token? in all of those the only prizes I managed to pull were 1 and 2 stars

5. PVE doesnt suck, its the only thing you can somewhat play regularly (see point 6).

6. I will never be a PVP player. I hate stepping on others to get prizes, I don't agree with this principle (personnal opinion), therefore I only played to reach the 10 pack early (get to 300-400 in each event early on). As for starting in the last hours, I don't agree, it feels like a shame to miss on several days simply to step on others after. I find it highly illogical that only the late climbers have a chance of high points. It also feels like you're missing parts of the game since you only play for the last 2-3 hours of the event (you also waste health packs as you do all your fights at the same time).

7. I had a good aliance, that was not the issue
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    It's weird that when they announced a progression reward of a legendary token I thought "Awesome! I do PvP anyway and I always end up with way more points than the final total needed. I'll get a 4* with every event!"

And then suddenly my desire to play PvP declined hugely. I suppose it's because the finishing line was moved further back, so whereas I could cross the line before and then everything after that was a bonus, now I cross the finish line and get told to carry on running another mile if I want to reach the table where the medals are handed out. I mean, I was doing that before anyway but now it feels like extra work.

Now that my 3* roster is complete barring levelling up Vision, Quicksilver and Colossus I have no need for placement rewards in PvE and I find doing that every 8 hours on repeat to be a long slog for a single legendary token. Even worse if it's a 7-day event, I mean jeez. In between the season I did something I haven't done for ages. I just did DDQ, got my Deadpool coins and played something else for the day. Didn't care about PvE and PvP was going to be a chore for no overall gain, so I skipped it.

It's a real shame, I miss pushing for that extra 3* cover so I'd get two instead of one if I worked a bit more. Now my placement is utterly irrelevent aside from earning ISO.

This is the problem with their asinine decision to stop making 3*s. There is now nothing for the average player to play for. Way past the point where 1* or 2* matter at all and still looking up at the pinnacle that is the 4* with no rewards in the middle it's really hard to motivate yourself to go for the Legendary Tokens now that they've moved the bar way too far back. There is no way in hell I'm going to get the iso8 brotherhood token. Not at 80,000 points. Super hard to care about placement either because unless you dive in to a fresh bracket last minute you aren't going to get anything worth it at all. You sure as hell aren't going to get top 10, talk about a pointless and useless enhancement for all but the strongest among us....
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Cunneryn wrote:
    3. Why not chase the carrot if its the only prize. I feel like your are only rewarded with useless tokens if you don't do anything. Only by pushing it can you have slight chance of being T100 or less.

In my opinion, it's less about not obsessing about getting every single prize. Play when you feel like playing and get what you get. There's ways to maximize minimal effort into some prizes, like late joining/bracket sniping. You lose out on some ISO when you can't play the event out all the way, but I feel like it's worth the time saved sometimes. Example: Last night I jumped into ChoPvP into the last hour at #15, played for an hour for my 600, and scored a cover. If I would have joined half an hour earlier I would have been able to get 800 easily and scored two covers.
    Cunneryn wrote:
    6. I will never be a PVP player. I hate stepping on others to get prizes, I don't agree with this principle (personnal opinion), therefore I only played to reach the 10 pack early (get to 300-400 in each event early on). As for starting in the last hours, I don't agree, it feels like a shame to miss on several days simply to step on others after. I find it highly illogical that only the late climbers have a chance of high points. It also feels like you're missing parts of the game since you only play for the last 2-3 hours of the event (you also waste health packs as you do all your fights at the same time).

Realistically, you might not be stepping on their team to get your placement rewards, but you're still pushing out other players for rewards. It's a competition, it's just kinda in the nature of it all. That being said, there's a lot of people coordinating together to hit higher scores than they would solo on Line. Shield Checking, Battle Chats, Cupcakes, etc all born on Line help each other in the long run (i.e. if you're shield checking with someone before you hit them, they get to do their hop and net points, making them worth more to you, and they don't lose points because you don't hit them until after their shield is up). Even if you don't late join a shard, if you have a somewhat solid roster you can join the right slice and get whatever rewards you want in a couple hours of play. If you need points, joining 3 will yield a ton of high point targets, but if you need placement rewards 5 is the best bet because not many big Alliances hang out there - it's more of a grind, but the pay off is good.

PvP is more of a battle of knowledge, than it is of power, honestly. You're going to hit natural walls based on roster strength, yeah, but the more you know about the mechanics of PvP and how people are playing in the big leagues, the more you can efficiently you can play PvP - for example my wall in shards other than 3 is 900, once I hit that point people start cannibalizing my team, but last time I was in 3 and in a Battle Chat I almost hit 1300 with no shields with two max 3*s.

PvE on the other hand is just an endurance contest. Note that there is a gigantic difference between being able to play something all the time and having to play something all the time to keep up. There's not much you can do in PvE to give yourself an edge other than softcapping your roster, which imo is pretty damn unfun.

If you want some info or some help, feel free to ask. There's a lot of people in this thread already that can give you a ton of useful information.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, I use to make progression and above easily on pve without having to grind. Now, it's liked a scheduled job of three clears a day and more grinding just to barely make progression. It was a tinykitty move to raise progression because of the LT now being the big award.
  • Cunneryn
    Thank you for all the positivism and advices in all of your posts.

I'll proceed to take a break for the the 2 weeks of the holidays while deciding wether or not coming back is something that could interest me or not. In the meantime, if you guys don't mind, I'd like to ask a few advice in order for my potential come back to be fully informed.

I see that most of you suggest to leave PVE and concentrate on PVP, but I dont see how that helps me. I've never beeen able to go above 800pts and most of the time it isn't sufficient to get in the top 100, so no cover me. At least in PVE if I dont get the placement reward, there is still a legendary all shiny that will arrive in my hands.