Squirrel Girl, Why?

Druss
Druss Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
edited December 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Serious question that I would love to be answered by a developer.

Why at day 655 do I get a Squirrel Girl Cover? Even at day 55 I would of been underwhelmed. At day 655 it feels more like an insult.

Surely changing this to 500 iso (or anything else for that matter) would make sense.

I fail to see the logic behind decisions like these.

Comments

• I wager it's because Day 650ish was near the time she was first released, and like many of that 3* wave, she got added to the daily resupply batches around that time, so that the players who were also around day 650ish would get said cover as needed.

Doesn't work so hot when 3*s got a lot easier to get with DDQ.

Makes me wonder if we'll be whining about too many 4*s so late in this resupply cycle once whatever 4* liquidation plans are finished. icon_razz.gif

Edit: Also, the official developer response to this was "More people need that cover then you think", in that I guess people got the cover and then were able to quickly apply it. That's the official developer response you'd get.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Similarly I had no use for the Luke Cage cover on day 625. 3*s are not as rare as they used to be, and this should be taken into account with the Daily Rewards.
  • I think this is a good example of why the daily reward needs to be completely redone. It doesn't make sense that at that point in the game that you'd get 3* rewards just based on the release of that character.

They just did it with restructuring where Command Points fell in the reward structure, now they need to do it with covers. But to do that, they'd need to actually determine at what point the game should be considered the 3* range, and what point it becomes 4*.

(And I say that as somebody at day 630 who actually can use a Squirrel Girl cover to finish one of my only three 3* not fully covered.)
  • Druss wrote:
    Surely changing this to 500 iso (or anything else for that matter) would make sense.
    Terrible idea. It IS 500 ISO....just sell it. In fact, it would be awesome if every single 500 ISO reward were replaced with a random 3* cover. If you need the cover, great, if not - sell for 500 ISO.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Even at day 480 where I am, any 3☆ in the resupply is useless
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah. My 3/5/5 Squirrel Girl isn't very impressed. But... In about a week I'll at least have an extra 500 iso. And that's better than the upcoming heroic token that'll net me another OBW. It may be blue car syndrome, but I've pulled at least 4 of her in the last 24 hours.
  • chamber44
    chamber44 Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    Druss wrote:
    Terrible idea. It IS 500 ISO....just sell it. In fact, it would be awesome if every single 500 ISO reward were replaced with a random 3* cover. If you need the cover, great, if not - sell for 500 ISO.
    this. there's only a few 3*'s i need (2 IF's, Vision, QS, etc) and outside of IF, none of them are crucial, but the more chances at 3*'s, the better, especially since 3*'s are the new 1*'s.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Once again, I'll mention the math.

You can start running DDQ with success probably around day 150.

You'll get all 3*'s cover maxed around day 450.

After that point, there should be -NO- 3*'s in progressions. Indeed, there should be 4*'s every ten days, to keep up with release rate.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    On day 730 you'll get a black 5* Silver Surfer, and every ~15 days after that the scheduled covers are all 4*. So they get better, though not as soon as many would like.
  • Virus_Type_V
    Virus_Type_V Posts: 117 Tile Toppler
    Its a free daily gift just for playing... Why complain?
  • Its a free daily gift just for playing... Why complain?

Giving someone a useless reward for an extended period of service is a slap in the face. It's like when you work for some place for 10 years and they say "hey, thanks for giving us 10 years of your life....here's a lovely Pez dispenser to show you how much we care." Basically they are telling you that they don't care, and it would be better if they just didn't say or give anything at all.
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    Because we're humans on the Internet.
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor

Giving someone a useless reward for an extended period of service is a slap in the face. It's like when you work for some place for 10 years and they say "hey, thanks for giving us 10 years of your life....here's a lovely Pez dispenser to show you how much we care." Basically they are telling you that they don't care, and it would be better if they just didn't say or give anything at all.

As long as you got paid for the work done those 10 years, it shouldn't matter. And MPQ isn't work. The daily reward is a free gift. Some people just aren't happy with it.
  • ngoni
    ngoni Posts: 112 Tile Toppler
    You'll want those extra covers come R91 and championing!
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    Druss wrote:
    Serious question that I would love to be answered by a developer.

Why at day 655 do I get a Squirrel Girl Cover? Even at day 55 I would of been underwhelmed. At day 655 it feels more like an insult.

I fail to see the logic behind decisions like these.

Theres this magic "sell cover" button that changes it to 500 iso for you.
    Wish fulfilled. *flies away*
  • ngoni wrote:
    You'll want those extra covers come R91 and championing!
    If they gave me 100 covers to champion her I'd make those become 50k iso.
  • halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    This structure is just one way that the game rewards vets. The daily rewards are better when you're getting them at the pace of the oldest players when the characters are new. As a newer player, you got to benefit from DPD and other changes for a much bigger chunk of your playtime. That's a bigger deal than feeling sad about squirrel girl or confused about MPQ not being a job.

Trust me, if they changed it so that new players got straight-up better daily rewards we would get an earful from all the "i'm day 8billion and you're handing the game to the noobs for free. this is just another example of how the devs hate America. trump 2016!!!" crowd.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    This seems like a dumb complaint, don't need the cover sell it for 500 iso. Better than getting a standard cover or some 2 star that are worth less.
  • Virus_Type_V
    Virus_Type_V Posts: 117 Tile Toppler
    Mpq scheduled calendar daily rewards is not the greatest... Covers and hp helps here n there...

But can u imagine if it followed what other games does and give 1 healthpack a day and a weekly 100iso bonus...
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mpq scheduled calendar daily rewards is not the greatest... Covers and hp helps here n there...

But can u imagine if it followed what other games does and give 1 healthpack a day and a weekly 100iso bonus...

Most other games I play give away the equivalent of a 3* every 5 days and 4* at the end of the month if you've been logging in every day.

I think (past day 730) that we're now getting the 4* every month. My 3* roster is full and almost complete, so I'm not really sure that I care about what happens in between those 4*'s any more. That said, I think that transitioning to a slightly different reward scheme would ultimately be more beneficial. Drop the Day# count, instead do the "advent calendar" style log in each day for a reward, make it follow a season instead of Gregorian calendar months - start at the beginning of the season and finish at the end of the off-week, that keeps "player engagement" through that off week so that they get the biggest rewards from logging in. Finally, add more theming to calendar rewards and seasons. eg:

With Miles and Venom launching, Season 22 could have been a Spidey themed season - include a Webhead PvP and a special "Spider-Man & Frienemies" PvP for the off-season (boosted Spidey, Miles, Human Torch, Punisher, Venom, Doc Ock, Carnage). Give out some 1* Spidey covers in the first week, some Bagman covers in the second, one of each Yellow, Blue, Purple 3* Spider-Man covers during the third week, and then a free Miles vs Venom token (50% chance of a random Miles cover, 50% chance of a random Venom cover) on day 28 (this requires players to login every day of the season + off-season week).