It's Me or the Exploit, D3 (A Poll)

Dauthi
Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
edited December 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Do you plan to fix the exploit (that is years old) D3? We know that offenders will be given a second chance if they played a lot or spent a lot (their discretion I guess). We also have been told the exploit can be used, but "lightly" without detection, an act that the players given a second chance can take.

We have to put our trust into them that they can easily find them, and will actually pursue finding them. We have to hope this exploit won't create chaos with new features in the game like it did with legendaries if it is not dealt with expediently.

I believe if there was ever a time for pitchforks, it's now. Can you live with the exploit, or will you quit unless they try to fix it. A never ending application of band-aids seems like a poor choice for a game-changing exploit.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• aesthetocyst
    aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
    Note to OP:

Something ya just can't fix.

Best you can do is to pursue a policy of containment.

Which is precisely what has been done all along.

They would fix it—and several other undesirable aspects related to the distributed nature of MPQ—if they could.

But they can't.

They didn't define the laws of time and space, nor the dictates of signal theory.

They didn't build the interwebs, just published a game on game on them.
  • Dauthi
    edited December 2015
    Note to OP:

They would fix it—and several other undesirable aspects related to the distributed nature of MPQ—if they could.

But they can't.

They didn't define the laws of time and space, nor the dictates of signal theory.

It can be fixed, it just isn't worth their time maybe? For instance they can make all tokens appear the same. Most could care less if you see purple, gold, or flashy gold. Are aesthetics worth that much to them? Why can't they send the token request when you push the token initially?
  • To be honest, I really don't give a balooey about it.

All y'all people whining about drawing a million Invisible Womens are already in a game leagues far beyond myself, and by the time I got there legitly, you all would be drowning in 5*s. I was never, ever going to be able to catch up, so what happens at the mega top ranks really doesn't bother me much at all.

I got some faith that they're trying to fix it, but also that it'd be a pretty damn complicated one to fix as it's probably tied to Every Mission Results Screen in the game and junk. Taking team ups out of one fight already took forever. How long would this take?

But either way, it ain't anything effecting my playing experience, so I am going to keep on keeping on.
  • Huatimus
    Huatimus Posts: 115
    edited December 2015
    Where's the option for "I'm staying and the exploit isn't a big deal"?

Let me elaborate a bit more before this gets mistaken for a troll post.
    Those exploiting to get 5* covers would get PVP matchmaking with other 5* rosters. I seldom if ever see them and just skip if I do. Really doesn't affect my game much and shouldn't affect most people either. It's almost like they're in their own "sandbox" already. And PVE would still require lots of grinding even for a 5* roster. If anything, it should be the whales who're getting angry, not the majority of the masses.
  • JamesV
    JamesV Posts: 98 Match Maker
    Note to OP:

But they can't.

I understand that there are some times bugs that cannot be fixed because of how game code works. It's entirely possible that fixing this issue could result in players losing their rewards if their internet signal cuts out when retrieving the cover and thats why the reward works the way it does. Completely understand that.

And I agree with you about if that's the case then the best result is containment. But I think this issue is sort of the tipping point for what has been seen as a pretty frustrating 2 to 2.5 months. There's been a pretty consistent and constant level of frustrating with things like 20 ISO, broken scaling (i.e. the 5*'s won't effect your scaling, but they do), the fact that the way to really be competitive at the high end requires the usage of out of game tools, the stalling of progression, the reliance on randomness (it's shocking when you stop and think how much of the game the players has no control over), the 4* Deadpool weekly team up issue, Galactus Round 1, the Anniversary, the flood of "duplicate" heroes...

At some point something gives, and rightly or wrong, this could easily be the final thing for people. In many ways the game gives the impression that it is aggressively anti-player and when you add the impressions that containment wasn't working as well as it should have and the impression that as long as cheaters do it subtly they may not get caught and it'll be fine, it can make people not want to be a part of it.

(I'm speaking in the general above, but that's my feelings at the moment. I work hard to earn covers, I enjoy playing the game, there's a lot of take and very little give on an emotional/experience level the past few months. Some of that is burn out, but some of that is compounded frustrations. Some games take time, some take money, some take both and give you 20 ISO.)
  • Tannen
    Tannen Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    Huatimus wrote:

Unbiased poll options! Such an idea! icon_e_wink.gif
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Huatimus wrote:

Let me elaborate a bit more before this gets mistaken for a troll post.
    Those exploiting to get 5* covers would get PVP matchmaking with other 5* rosters. I seldom if ever see them and just skip if I do. Really doesn't affect my game much and shouldn't affect most people either. It's almost like they're in their own "sandbox" already. And PVE would still require lots of grinding even for a 5* roster. If anything, it should be the whales who're getting angry, not the majority of the masses.

Actually, PvE is 10x easier with 5 stars. I am saying this as someone who has a sandboxed account on Steam with maxed 5 stars. You can watch my youtube videos playing through the Ghost Rider PvE with them and completely destroying even the hardest nodes in under a minute.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... AqfwgZ5Z4T

So it does mean less people getting access to PvE covers in new character releases. Additionally, no one can attack these people in PvP, so they can get wicked high scores with no hp spent. Impacts placement rewards as well.
  • Dauthi
    Tannen wrote:
    Huatimus wrote:

The poll makes perfect sense. D3 should see how many people are willing/considering leaving, they can subtract that from the rest of the forum members.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    colwag wrote:
    To be honest, I really don't give a balooey about it.

All y'all people whining about drawing a million Invisible Womens are already in a game leagues far beyond myself, and by the time I got there legitly, you all would be drowning in 5*s. I was never, ever going to be able to catch up, so what happens at the mega top ranks really doesn't bother me much at all.

I got some faith that they're trying to fix it, but also that it'd be a pretty damn complicated one to fix as it's probably tied to Every Mission Results Screen in the game and junk. Taking team ups out of one fight already took forever. How long would this take?

But either way, it ain't anything effecting my playing experience, so I am going to keep on keeping on.

So, because it doesn't personally affect you, it is ok? "Who cares if it affects those whiners with their 4* rosters, right? They are already in such a better position than I, they can stand to be taken down a bit, right?" What you wilfully ignore is that people in higher levels of competition generally arrived there in the same way that you are trying to: by spending literal years of effort. If they seem "above" you it is simply because they started first. The other thing that you don't understand is how unlikely is (by design) for players to gain 5* covers without cheating (or expending completely unthinkable amounts of money); especially for us, who keep drawing Invisible Woman instead of progression-advancing covers.

The net result is that it's much more likely that you arrive at the point 4* transitioners are now, without them having progressed actually very far. You seem pissed off because people are ahead of you by simply playing the game. Imagine how you will feel when you yourself get there and start failing to get good placements because people who obtained unbeatable rosters in dishonorable ways have taken them all. Except that will not happen. If the game is not fixed or cheaters are properly made an example of to completely discourage cheating, veterans and whales will abandon the game in-masse and there will be no game for you to keep playing.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ragnorak nerf.
    True Healing.
    X-Force nerf.
    Spiderman nerf.
    Thoress nerf.
    Sentry nerf.
    Insulting buy back prices for nerfed characters.
    Ultrons event.
    Galactus event.
    Countless server crashes.
    Being mislead over 4* Deadpools Daily.
    Increasingly poor communication.

In just over 2 years all of the above yet folks carry on playing. Those are just the things that are on the top of my head. This too shall pass!

They have your money already and aren't interested in you, its time to milk the Magic: The Gathering fans for all they are worth.
  • Tannen wrote:
    Huatimus wrote:

Very Sarcasm, Such Snark, Wow!

But in all seriousness, there should be a separate option to choose: "IDGAF about the exploit and will continue playing MPQ"

I'd check that box, because it seems that currently I hardly ever see super well covered 5* covers in PvP. I only start seeing some semi-levelled and semi covered 5* around the 1200 mark.

I suspect that 5* get to see each other very very often compared to those competing with 4* rosters. So honestly, this is fine by me. Let the exploiters hash it out among themselves.

If we're talking about PvE, though, and if what notamutant says is true, then I guess I'd be slightly peeved, but not to the point of wanting to quit, since I only ever aim for top 10 or top 20 for PvE.
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dauthi wrote:
    Tannen wrote:
    Huatimus wrote:

The poll makes perfect sense. D3 should see how many people are willing/considering leaving, they can subtract that from the rest of the forum members.

I know I said I would stop replying to Dauthi, but I don't think I can stick to that if I keep seeing posts like these. As of now, there are 23947 forum members. 8 people are quitting and 14 people are thinking about it. I'll be generous, add them together (22) and subtract from the rest of the forum members (23947) and you get 23925. If there's been any reason for them to act, here ya go D3. icon_lol.gif
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards

But they can't.

Except HiFi said they could, in his post he said they would be pushing out an update to fix the issue. And it's trivial to fix really.

The current process appears to be Generate Cover -> Record Cover Locally -> Display Cover -> Update Facebook Save. Which is why once you see the cover you can use the save to try again. If you just reorder the steps to Generate Cover -> Update Facebook Save -> Record Cover Locally -> Display Cover then the exploit no longer exists as Facebook and your device know about the result before you do.

I think saving to Facebook may have been an 'as you can if you can' setup rather than tied directly into cover pulling. So this may slow down the opening of covers somewhat.
  • bye OP! please quit, i'm a bit sick of reading whining or "i'm going to quit" threads in the forums
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    wamanazai wrote:
    bye OP! please quit, i'm a bit sick of reading whining or "i'm going to quit" threads in the forums

If they don't stop are you liable to quit?

Sorry...
  • aesthetocyst
    aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
    Eddiemon wrote:
    Except HiFi said they could...

Wouldn't expect a dev to say they can't fix an exploit. What good would such an admission do them?
    Eddiemon wrote:
    ... in his post he said they would be pushing out an update to fix the issue.

Not mentioned in the "update" post.
    Eddiemon wrote:
    ... And it's trivial to fix really.

So long as the tokens are rolled and initially stored locally it's not. Anything processed or stored clientside is exploitable. Just a question of how difficult to exploit it can be made to be. I hope they make significant changes to the architecture, and are able to render it into a veritable Fort Knox without noticeable negative impact on the user experience. We've been trained to expect instant gratification here.

But thanks for believing. After all, it's that magic time of year icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Linkster79 wrote:
    They have your money already and aren't interested in you, its time to milk the Magic: The Gathering fans for all they are worth.

aaaaaaaaa

Demiurge isn't making MtPQ. The only connection is that D3go is the publisher of both.

If anything, the complaint should be about Puzzle and Glory or whatever that Sega puzzle quest game is. Demiurge is making that.
  • liminal_lad
    liminal_lad Posts: 473 Mover and Shaker
    You can auto ignore users on the forum by clicking on their name and "adding as a foe."
    wamanazai wrote:
    bye OP! please quit, i'm a bit sick of reading whining or "i'm going to quit" threads in the forums
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Eddiemon wrote:
    Except HiFi said they could, in his post he said they would be pushing out an update to fix the issue.
    You need to see someone about these hallucinations you're having. He didn't say anything that sounded anything like that. They can't fix it. It's not getting fixed. Token cheating is now part of the game.
This discussion has been closed.