rarity of mythic cards? 600 crystal "big box" gave 0

Options
fruithead
fruithead Posts: 56
edited December 2015 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Being a (now retired) huge fan of mtg and pq i lost myself in the moment and dumped a bunch of money down for crystals. my wife IS going to kill me when she finds out. I was super disappointed when after opening all my cards from the big box i had received zero mythical cards.

now i guess i am just used to the system from magic where buying a pack of a certain value guaranteed you a minimum amount of rares/uncommons. for instance (at least back when i was playing second edition) buying a deck sized box guaranteed you at least one rare and 5 uncommons (or something like that IIRC). post the minimum it was all luck.
the bottom line is, at LEAST you knew for the money you spent you were getting 1 top tier card if not more. it's incredibly disappointing to spend all that money on 600 crystals and get not one mythic!

if a friend asked me now what i thought of the game i would somewhat bitterly reply, it's fun and addictive, but a terrible money sink, you can buy the best booster packs and get nothing! in theory, you could get 0 rares too!

i really think this mechanic needs to be changed. you WILL lose more frustrated players over time if someone can spend real money and not feel like they are getting literally anything for it. gambling is only fun if you win, all the players that lose will just feel sucker punched and like the house cheated.

why leave your customers feeling like that? there's no sense to it. at least guarantee a certain minimum of mythic and rares to booster packs depending on levels. this was the player gets the thrill of getting his awesome cards even if he feels sad he did not hit the jackpot. like i said earlier, at least he wont feel cheated.

i also think these policies when changed should have the changes retroactively apply to all past purchases icon_e_smile.gif

just my two cents.
yours truly,
fruit head

Comments

• Coppertouret
    Coppertouret Posts: 169 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I bought 2 of the fat packs for 600. One earned through progression, one paid for partially. I received 3 mythics (plus a duplicate for each one 3 for another = 8 total) and about 10 different rares with multiple duplicates. It's all in RNGesus. If you played marvel puzzle quest, I'm sure your familiar with pulling all 2* on 40 packs, at least until the auto legendary token came with them. Good luck to you in the future.
  • fruithead
    Options
    I bought 2 of the fat packs for 600. One earned through progression, one paid for partially. I received 3 mythics (plus a duplicate for each one 3 for another = 8 total) and about 10 different rares with multiple duplicates. It's all in RNGesus. If you played marvel puzzle quest, I'm sure your familiar with pulling all 2* on 40 packs, at least until the auto legendary token came with them. Good luck to you in the future.

i never got into MpQ i found it stupid and childish. either way, i understand that this *can* happen, im just posting my opinion that i think it should be changed. i think it's bad bothe ethically and for customer retention.

meaning it's a bad sales model in every way i can think of except possibly appealing to loose money gamblers.
  • Coppertouret
    Options
    fruithead wrote:

i never got into MpQ i found it stupid and childish. either way, i understand that this *can* happen, im just posting my opinion that i think it should be changed. i think it's bad bothe ethically and for customer retention.

meaning it's a bad sales model in every way i can think of except possibly appealing to loose money gamblers.

Stupid and childish? That's a bit harsh, especially considering it's from the same publisher and I believe the current highest grossing puzzle quest game on the market. I'm pretty sure it's still in the top 25 games in the play store as well.

regardless of feelings towards MPQ, I understand where you're coming from. I'd like to see increased drop rates, but with this game being around 10k downloads, they have to "money grab" a bit at the start in order to maintain revenue flow to release better quality content.
  • It would be nice to know the chances. I've opened 40? or 50? packs so far two purchases of the big pack and have yet to see a mythic. Currently I have 134 unique cards which is half the set, not including duplicates.
  • Coppertouret
    Options
    Kaneda wrote:
    It would be nice to know the chances. I've opened 40? or 50? packs so far two purchases of the big pack and have yet to see a mythic. Currently I have 134 unique cards which is half the set, not including duplicates.

You know where a card listing is at?
  • fruithead
    Options
    fruithead wrote:

Stupid and childish? That's a bit harsh, especially considering it's from the same publisher and I believe the current highest grossing puzzle quest game on the market. I'm pretty sure it's still in the top 25 games in the play store as well.

regardless of feelings towards MPQ, I understand where you're coming from. I'd like to see increased drop rates, but with this game being around 10k downloads, they have to "money grab" a bit at the start in order to maintain revenue flow to release better quality content.

i apologize, i did not mean to imply it's actually stupid i know it's a matter of taste icon_e_biggrin.gif . i was honestly super turned off by the dialog (hey stinky! YEAH YOU! oh well if it isn't spidey-fart! ironman, more like tin-can man! HAH! etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc........ugh.) and i found myself feeling like the way they structured the comic book collection method to appeal to much to kids with superhero fantasies. again, my taste, not implying anything. if you like it, cool!

i do want to point out that if the goal is to appeal to kids or others with no appreciation of the true value of money (maybe rich or spending other peoples (parents?) money, idk whatever) then this setup makes sense. why give something to people who will pay for nothing, then pay more in the hope of getting something? obviously outright stealing is forbidden, so make it a gamble with super low chances.

but i think this game may attract people from MtG who are mature adult players. those people, like me, may work for a living and have a limited amount of disposable income. they might be willing to pay for something they enjoy long term, i mean, why not!

but few people like that enjoy the feeling, however vague, of having been ripped off. for someone like me, having paid out money and gotten nothing leaves me galled. i mean, this is not a vegas slot machine. i am paying a premium price to enjoy the premium content. i like the game enough to make it worth it.

i am not paying a premium price for A CHANCE to POSSIBLY enjoy premium content IF i get VERY LUCKY. and i would not recommend my friends do either.

like i said, it's not a threat, it's a question of business model. listen, no one can argue with success, and few care about ethics in the face of money. if this works for them and they believe that moving towards a pay for content model (rather than pay for a chance at content model) will leave them with less revenue, then nothing i say can possibly matter. i just believe in my heart that giving people something for their hard earned cash IS a better business model than giving them a chance at something, and a better chance at nothing model.

i hope i'm right.
  • I got Gaea's Revenge-mythic in a 225 exp booster, and Tragic Arrogance-Mythic in a 60 crystal booster.

2 fat packs and I didn't get any mythics so it's quite random.
  • Kaneda wrote:
    It would be nice to know the chances. I've opened 40? or 50? packs so far two purchases of the big pack and have yet to see a mythic. Currently I have 134 unique cards which is half the set, not including duplicates.

You know where a card listing is at?

Not as such for the puzzle quest versions but if you google magic origins card list you should be able to find a list of the actual physical cards which are the same ones in the game, however abilities will be slightly to majorly tweaked to fit within the game apps rules and parameters. However I've found that the power and toughness seem to be pretty constant with the exception of Harbinger of the Tides who is stupidly broken and I can't believe that his current form is anything other then a testing version which made it into release.

Edit: anyways on the original post topic I am saving up to buy 100 free packs, I'm about half way there and will see if I get any mythics out of those 300 cards.
  • It is all very random.

I got 3 mythics out of my big pack, then four more from the next 8 **** packs.

Then I got nothing for the next 50 or so **** packs.

I believe fat packs don't have a significantly higher chance of mythics, however, they simply give you a boatload more cards.

PS, many mythics suck but the ones that don't are amazing.
  • liminal_lad
    liminal_lad Posts: 459 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    When it says "best chance of rare cards" does it mean you have an increased chance because you're opening more packs, or is there a higher drop rate for rare and mythic cards in those packs?

Slightly off topic: For those of us who are now acquiring lots of duplicate cards, is there a plan to ever let us do something with those cards? Sell them for experience? Combine into higher level cards? Anything?
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    Options
    When it says "best chance of rare cards" does it mean you have an increased chance because you're opening more packs, or is there a higher drop rate for rare and mythic cards in those packs?

Slightly off topic: For those of us who are now acquiring lots of duplicate cards, is there a plan to ever let us do something with those cards? Sell them for experience? Combine into higher level cards? Anything?

It should be a mix of both. At least in MPQ, when you buy the higher end amount of cover packs, I believe the odds are increase, as well as having more chances per currency spent in order to obtain the 4* and 5* doods.

I have two Mytics. One I opened in a pack purchased with Runes and one I obtained via a Big Box. I have about 8 or 10 Rares, most of which came out of the Big Box.
  • fruithead
    Options
    It's official. The chances of mythic suck and it's a huge piss off. Since I had spent the money anyways I bought 2 more big boxes of and got a total of ONE mythic.

**** devs.
  • fruithead wrote:
    It's official. The chances of mythic suck and it's a huge piss off. Since I had spent the money anyways I bought 2 more big boxes of and got a total of ONE mythic.

**** devs.

Bummer.

Good news is you can make wonderful decks with no mythics (even with no rares) at all, that succeed in both pvp and story.

Its not like in MPQ where if you don't have a good team of these specific 3 uber heroes you just lose.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I would like to see some more explicit information about rarity odds in the Vault. As others have pointed out, when buying physical cards, you had a minimum number of mythics, rares and whatnot in a box. Clearly that's not the case with the digital goods in MtGPQ.
  • I would like to see some more explicit information about rarity odds in the Vault. As others have pointed out, when buying physical cards, you had a minimum number of mythics, rares and whatnot in a box. Clearly that's not the case with the digital goods in MtGPQ.

Thats a good idea, MPQ tells you the exact chance of getting the card you want (ps, its like 0.13% or something rofl) when buying a box, and/or shows you the entirety of the (incredibly skewed, obviously, but still visible) cards in a "vault" that are remaining.
  • First off, you're not the target audience right now. The gamblers and whales are the low-hanging fruit and the current pricing structure will maximize the revenue from them. "Spend moderately to get a good return" model is not part of the current mobile gaming scene anywhere.

This is also a good time for d3go to collect baseline sales data. They need to have baseline data for their revenue projections.

Finally, this is the base release of the game. Further packs or specials will come along that will have the guaranteed rare you want. This pricing structure with "base" packs and "weekend specials" is pretty standard practice for digital CCGs. You'll get your guaranteed rare if you wait. You'll never see guaranteed mythics.

Remember, though, that there are **** mythics. Since there is no trading, even if you pull a mythic, it has to be in your colors. I have a worthless Green mythic and a Level 33 White mage. Even when they release dual-color Planeswalkers, you still may not be able to play a mythic you pulled. A duplicate mythic is worth less than a new common and is more frustrating than not pulling a mythic at all.

If you will only be happy if you pull and play mythics, you need to get out the game now. That version of the game doesn't exist and never will exist unless you're willing to spend thousands.
  • void
    void Posts: 65
    Options
    ecoKady wrote:
    A duplicate mythic is worth less than a new common and is more frustrating than not pulling a mythic at all.
    Howdy.

At least I can take solace on the fact that there are now two less Jace decks running this card.
  • Wait uh, if you get a good card for a different deck...why not use that deck?

This isn't MPQ. Your power is almost entirely independent of your level and planeswalker choice.

I've soundly beaten every single storyline quest with a full uncommon deck that I added one rare to.

I'm currently top ranked in my PvP bracket.

I have 2 planeswalkers under level 10, 2 under level 20, and my highest planeswalker is 28 and I don't even play it.
  • I can definitely empathize with you, I just saved up for a fat pack and not only did I get no mythics, but I didn't even get a single NEW card in the entire thing.

That being said, card games in real life are always a crapshoot so I don't really have too many issues with random **** on me. However, unlike MPQ, since this game has a card-based aspect to it and there's no way to guarantee certain card rewards in it's current form, I think they should really investigate card trading (not planeswalkers, but cards). This could become moot if the rewards for the events that they eventually roll out are specific cards rather than just runes and crystals.
  • void
    void Posts: 65
    Options
    pandabear wrote:
    Wait uh, if you get a good card for a different deck...why not use that deck?
    I dunno, because I'm a huge scrub? Have Stasis triggered PTSD? Or maybe I just enjoy playing my hackjob Liliana deck more than a compilation of objectively better cards by Jace or Gideon. We are playing a candy crush card game where winning and losing has little consequense, I don't feel the need to optimize my performance if it means not playing with the Colour and mechanics I enjoy more.
    I've soundly beaten every single storyline quest with a full uncommon deck that I added one rare to.
    I'm currently top ranked in my PvP bracket.
    Same. But in a game with dumb as brick AI and Quick Match ladder consisting of 90% basic Green decks it's only a matter of time invested.