Frustratingly opaque tournament rules

Options
Unknown
edited February 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
I've been enjoying MPQ a great deal. Spent some money on HP to expand my roster, and will probably spend more in the future. I don't get motivated by much to go to forums and post, but I just had a moment of massive frustration and dismay.

In round 3 of the simulator (hardmode), I had fought my way to Simulation 04 (the one with the single big ISO8 reward). The baddies were 66 and 67, and I was hurt, so I had to wait to heal up. I judged that, with liberal use of boosts and a little luck, I'd be able to take them down. I very much looked forward to trying. Also, I'd run into an ISO8 brick wall this weekend, with almost no more progress possible in any tournaments or SHIELD training, so the big ISO8 reward was going to be a godsend.

Anyway, I wait to heal to full, click Simulation 04... and now the baddies are up over level 100. The big fight I'd prepared for and waited on... no more. It'd be suicide to try now.

Devs, I understand that you have a difficult balancing act to perform with this game. But if this is working as designed, then I think you've made a design error. Whatever else you believe this inscrutable-bar-raising mechanic is doing, it has succeeded in infuriating me and making me not want to give you any more of my money.

I'll cool down and come back to it, but you should rethink this.

Comments

• Zifna
    Zifna Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I have to agree with this... Something very similar happened to me at the end of the previous round. I did a few fights, but it was late and I decided to sleep. The next morning everything was SIGNIFICANTLY higher leveled - nearly double.

I know things have been said about "adjusting for other people playing" but from a player's standpoint it is very frustrating and anti-fun.
  • PorkBelly
    PorkBelly Posts: 526 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Zifna wrote:
    I have to agree with this... Something very similar happened to me at the end of the previous round. I did a few fights, but it was late and I decided to sleep. The next morning everything was SIGNIFICANTLY higher leveled - nearly double.

I know things have been said about "adjusting for other people playing" but from a player's standpoint it is very frustrating and anti-fun.

I've had the same experience.

I've had to wait to enter the round 2 & 3. When I initially checked in on them, they looked tough but do-able.

After joining later, I was unable to complete the high ISO mission in Round 2 & I assume Round 3 will be the same.

Sucks that it seems to penalize people who can't start as soon as the round goes live.
  • Argh. It just happened again, this time while I was in the character selection lobby for Simulation 07. Just idling, afk while I healed up. The enemies jumped twenty levels while I was reading the forums.

Come on.

In no way did I gain in power while I was tabbed out reading the forums, so it's not the player-specific custom scaling IceIX discusses here.

Devs, this feels like somebody raising the high-jump bar on you while you're making your run up to it.
  • There's another scaling factor involved here you may not be aware of. Every time a mission is completed by any player, not just you, it gets harder. That means they increase constantly, so beat them fast or you may not be able to beat them at all.
  • Marquoz wrote:
    There's another scaling factor involved here you may not be aware of. Every time a mission is completed by any player, not just you, it gets harder. That means they increase constantly, so beat them fast or you may not be able to beat them at all.

That's the problem here. Plus, the fact that it is Sunday afternoon/evening does not help matter at all here. Couple that with knowledge that by now, most that look at the forums (even as lurkers) know that the best potential to win the 1k/2.5k rewards is to bum rush them as soon as a Round opens. Bundle that with all the players that are better aligned for Hard Mode, running through Normal for the first win ISO bonus or farming trivial encounters in hopes of the 500 ISO reward, and you have the current scenario where event levels are scaling at a ludicrously high rate.

Unfortunately, by design, this can't be fixed in this tourney. Hopefully, the next one will be better thought out to prevent or at least somewhat mitigate this problem.
  • Lyrian wrote:
    Marquoz wrote:
    There's another scaling factor involved here you may not be aware of. Every time a mission is completed by any player, not just you, it gets harder. That means they increase constantly, so beat them fast or you may not be able to beat them at all.

That's the problem here. Plus, the fact that it is Sunday afternoon/evening does not help matter at all here. Couple that with knowledge that by now, most that look at the forums (even as lurkers) know that the best potential to win the 1k/2.5k rewards is to bum rush them as soon as a Round opens. Bundle that with all the players that are better aligned for Hard Mode, running through Normal for the first win ISO bonus or farming trivial encounters in hopes of the 500 ISO reward, and you have the current scenario where event levels are scaling at a ludicrously high rate.

Unfortunately, by design, this can't be fixed in this tourney. Hopefully, the next one will be better thought out to prevent or at least somewhat mitigate this problem.

I don't like scaling either. It's a supposedly "fun" mechanic that I just find annoying, frankly. I'd be happier if it went away and PVE reverted to the way it was a month ago.
  • Scaling as a whole isn't bad. It gives the appropriate challenge, and makes the game more enjoyable (nothing feels better than taking down a 230 team with a sub 100 team, imo).

The scaling this time around seems not based on the community as a whole, but I believe in relation to your main bracket. My friend in the last subset had the Punisher battle at around 170, while mine was 230. As for the notion of it going up in level when completed by anyone, you can blame the ones higher up on the ladder for making the Easy simulator 200+ due to essentially grinding out "easy points" until Hard is easier.

I don't think basing it off of roster would be a good idea, mainly for the fact that most people level 2-3 characters and then the rest become benchwarmers. You can't even average enemy level out according to that because then missions become too easy, when it's supposed to be a challenge to get to the top.

Scaling is fine. They are slowly but surely getting it right. It went from atrocious in the beginning, and it's getting to tolerable, but not liked status. Once the tweaking is done, then it's will be a really good system.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Skyedyne wrote:
    Scaling as a whole isn't bad. It gives the appropriate challenge, and makes the game more enjoyable (nothing feels better than taking down a 230 team with a sub 100 team, imo).

The scaling this time around seems not based on the community as a whole, but I believe in relation to your main bracket. My friend in the last subset had the Punisher battle at around 170, while mine was 230. As for the notion of it going up in level when completed by anyone, you can blame the ones higher up on the ladder for making the Easy simulator 200+ due to essentially grinding out "easy points" until Hard is easier.

I don't think basing it off of roster would be a good idea, mainly for the fact that most people level 2-3 characters and then the rest become benchwarmers. You can't even average enemy level out according to that because then missions become too easy, when it's supposed to be a challenge to get to the top.

Scaling is fine. They are slowly but surely getting it right. It went from atrocious in the beginning, and it's getting to tolerable, but not liked status. Once the tweaking is done, then it's will be a really good system.

This is true to a certain extent. However, I feel like there needs to be a cap on the scaling in normal mode. If all PvP opponents just end up scaling to 230 because you have a powerful roster, then it makes the player feel like they leveled up their roster for nothing. Scaling hardmode up to this level is fine since hard mode is supposed to be hard, but cap out normal at 100-150 so that at least the mission rewards are farmable and veterans can feel like completing the mission wasn't a waste of time.
  • Skyedyne wrote:
    Scaling as a whole isn't bad. It gives the appropriate challenge, and makes the game more enjoyable (nothing feels better than taking down a 230 team with a sub 100 team, imo).

Well, now try to imagine, that with Punisher 141, Spiderman classic 111 and Magneto 125, weakened Thorr 85 and the rest of the roaster below 60 I have almost all enemies on level 230 from the second day in both easy and hard (easiest is 222 anyway). Also imagine, that I can't use two of the three strongest characters in several missions. This is not even challenging, it's simply impossible. Most of the enemies on level 230 can kill me with a single use of almost any of their power and without spiderman the battle lasts for 3-5 turns and I'm downed. Is this the reward for being active and paying in to have a strong team ? Which character should I pay for not to be excluded in coming missions to force me to buy another and another ? And can you imagine how much it costs to upgrade the *** character to 141 ? Roughly 500 Euro. That's simply insane. Most expensive game I ever heard of and most unfair to players.
  • Skyedyne wrote:

This is true to a certain extent. However, I feel like there needs to be a cap on the scaling in normal mode. If all PvP opponents just end up scaling to 230 because you have a powerful roster, then it makes the player feel like they leveled up their roster for nothing. Scaling hardmode up to this level is fine since hard mode is supposed to be hard, but cap out normal at 100-150 so that at least the mission rewards are farmable and veterans can feel like completing the mission wasn't a waste of time.

I agree with this totally. The easier of the two mirror areas should have a level cap. Probably cap it at 160-170, though. That's roughly double the level of a 3 ability 2*, and gives a sufficient enough challenge. And obviously if those become easily overcome, then Hard mode is ready for them, and with it the better chance at a higher prize(s).
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    griller wrote:

Well, now try to imagine, that with Punisher 141, Spiderman classic 111 and Magneto 125, weakened Thorr 85 and the rest of the roaster below 60 I have almost all enemies on level 230 from the second day in both easy and hard (easiest is 222 anyway). Also imagine, that I can't use two of the three strongest characters in several missions. This is not even challenging, it's simply impossible. Most of the enemies on level 230 can kill me with a single use of almost any of their power and without spiderman the battle lasts for 3-5 turns and I'm downed. Is this the reward for being active and paying in to have a strong team ? Which character should I pay for not to be excluded in coming missions to force me to buy another and another ? And can you imagine how much it costs to upgrade the *** character to 141 ? Roughly 500 Euro. That's simply insane. Most expensive game I ever heard of and most unfair to players.

It sounds fair to me. Your roster is the two most unbalanced characters at the moment and Punisher, and you are bad when they take one away.

You over invested in just 3 characters and the game is rewarding breadth of rosters, not 'bought the best 3 characters I can' rosters.

A level 30 Doom can kill anything this round. Daken, moonstone and C Storm are all Forces of Nature in this event. And none of them need to be level 85 or even close to be more effective than your 141 Punisher. I think my Daken just passed level 50, and none of the rest are close.
  • Eddiemon wrote:
    griller wrote:

It sounds fair to me. Your roster is the two most unbalanced characters at the moment and Punisher, and you are bad when they take one away.

You over invested in just 3 characters and the game is rewarding breadth of rosters, not 'bought the best 3 characters I can' rosters.

A level 30 Doom can kill anything this round. Daken, moonstone and C Storm are all Forces of Nature in this event. And none of them need to be level 85 or even close to be more effective than your 141 Punisher. I think my Daken just passed level 50, and none of the rest are close.

OK, example :

Simulation 10, Spiderman, Grey Widow and Hawkeye levels 228. Widow damages 5270 to all enemies for 19 green AP, Hawkeye makes damage 6376 for 10 blue AP, 4158 dmg to all enemies for 10 red AP. Plus any simple 3 tile combination they make makes damage over 300. How many turns can you survie without having spiderman to stun them ? Doom adds 3 strike tiles for 12 black AP doing 166 dmg each each turn. Enemies have together 24 000 hp. HP of any *** character except Hulk anf Ragnarok which unfortunately I do not have enough covers to upgrade do not exceed 5800. Do a little math and tell me, how many turns can you survive this way ? Definitely if you are lucky, up to 7. in 7 turns, you can make maximum damage to opponents less than is the hp of the weakest member.

Another mission impossible : Simulation 07, Punisher, Dinosaur and Spider-man bagman all level 226. I can use Magneto, thorr and hulk, all at 5000-5340 hp. Opponents have 36000 hp together. Dinosaur needs 6 green AP to make damage 5750, so 2 turns of green combination and one team member is down, of course the strongest as the strongest stays in front. In the meantime punisher uses 8 red AP to make damage 2312 and 7 blacks to help himself with the molotov, if you ever used that, you should know how helpful is that. Plus again with just single combination they make damage over 300. Also here it's a miracle to survive more than 7-8 turns. Again, even being luckiest man it is not possible.

Now please tell me, even if I have invested in few strong characters instead of having plenty of weak, do I deserve to be that way excluded from the competiotion ? Do you really think it is fair ? Where have I missed the warning from developers not to invest into few strong characters, well now it looks like it is better not to invest at all, weakest rosters are now leading all the score tables.
  • Sorry, forgott to say one important thing. I have absolutely no problem not being able to use any of the strongest team members except spiderman. Enemies with the ability to kill by a single shot and with insane hp cannot be downed without stunning them. Any other character with stunning abilities will not survive long enough to use thair skill against 230lvl beasts. With spiderman it is extremely challenging and hard but it is doable, without him these missions can be locked with the same result. I would really like to see, how anyone will beat the dinosaur mission on level 230 with any even **** character without spiderman and even with the maximum boosts used.
  • griller wrote:
    Sorry, forgott to say one important thing. I have absolutely no problem not being able to use any of the strongest team members except spiderman. Enemies with the ability to kill by a single shot and with insane hp cannot be downed without stunning them. Any other character with stunning abilities will not survive long enough to use thair skill against 230lvl beasts. With spiderman it is extremely challenging and hard but it is doable, without him these missions can be locked with the same result. I would really like to see, how anyone will beat the dinosaur mission on level 230 with any even **** character without spiderman and even with the maximum boosts used.

I don't use any 3* chars for Devil Dino. Takes a very long time but I can win 90% of the time.

Sim10 I usually avoid, but you can deny widow her green. She needs 19 and it takes a long time without a big cascade. Hawkeye's tiles can be matched away or overwritten (e.g. Mags, Cap). Spidey cannot kill you on his own. He's annoying but kill him first.

I don't even have that strong of a 3* roster and I'm managing to get through the missions, but it's a grind and not really all that fun. My highest is 107 Patch. I do use 5 blue Spiderman as a crutch on a lot of missions, but I also like to finish most missions at full health so it's not just the stun I'm using.
  • UncleSam wrote:
    griller wrote:
    Sorry, forgott to say one important thing. I have absolutely no problem not being able to use any of the strongest team members except spiderman. Enemies with the ability to kill by a single shot and with insane hp cannot be downed without stunning them. Any other character with stunning abilities will not survive long enough to use thair skill against 230lvl beasts. With spiderman it is extremely challenging and hard but it is doable, without him these missions can be locked with the same result. I would really like to see, how anyone will beat the dinosaur mission on level 230 with any even **** character without spiderman and even with the maximum boosts used.

I don't use any 3* chars for Devil Dino. Takes a very long time but I can win 90% of the time.

Sim10 I usually avoid, but you can deny widow her green. She needs 19 and it takes a long time without a big cascade. Hawkeye's tiles can be matched away or overwritten (e.g. Mags, Cap). Spidey cannot kill you on his own. He's annoying but kill him first.

I don't even have that strong of a 3* roster and I'm managing to get through the missions, but it's a grind and not really all that fun. My highest is 107 Patch. I do use 5 blue Spiderman as a crutch on a lot of missions, but I also like to finish most missions at full health so it's not just the stun I'm using.

Are you also talking about level 220+ oponents ? Because this is the point, I have absolutely no problem with levels up to 140 without spidey, but once over 200's charge their power the game is over. You are right with the widow, but if you can't stun them, it's just the question of luck not to let her get a cascade, they usually get one per 5-7 turns.

In the meantime I got through the dinosaur with a lot of luck and only thanks to magneto, which was still making blue 5-matches without even letting the dinosaur play until the beast was dead, but it took me 40 minutes of analysis every single move to make it perfect and even though i was just extremely lucky, that enough blue and red were falling from the sky. The dinosaur got a cascade with 17 green AP in the 3-rd turn and from that time I managed to play until the end only with magneto. Next 10 times I will loose for sure.
  • Eddiemon
    Options
    griller wrote:
    OK, example :

Simulation 10, Spiderman, Grey Widow and Hawkeye levels 228. Widow damages 5270 to all enemies for 19 green AP, Hawkeye makes damage 6376 for 10 blue AP, 4158 dmg to all enemies for 10 red AP. Plus any simple 3 tile combination they make makes damage over 300. How many turns can you survie without having spiderman to stun them ? Doom adds 3 strike tiles for 12 black AP doing 166 dmg each each turn. Enemies have together 24 000 hp. HP of any *** character except Hulk anf Ragnarok which unfortunately I do not have enough covers to upgrade do not exceed 5800. Do a little math and tell me, how many turns can you survive this way ? Definitely if you are lucky, up to 7. in 7 turns, you can make maximum damage to opponents less than is the hp of the weakest member.

Nobody gets Spider-man on that mission. Are you telling me as a result nobody passes that mission?

WIdow needs 19 green AP. If you let her get that much you deserve what comes next. Hawkeyes tiles both have countdowns. That is easily dealt with in any number of ways.

You could go Patch, Daken, C Storm. Patch and Daken both regenerate so tile matches aren't really harmful. Even better if C Storm is triggering a counterstrike with strike tiles on the board every time Patch/Daken get hit. Easy fight.

Another mission impossible : Simulation 07, Punisher, Dinosaur and Spider-man bagman all level 226. I can use Magneto, thorr and hulk, all at 5000-5340 hp. Opponents have 36000 hp together. Dinosaur needs 6 green AP to make damage 5750, so 2 turns of green combination and one team member is down, of course the strongest as the strongest stays in front. In the meantime punisher uses 8 red AP to make damage 2312 and 7 blacks to help himself with the molotov, if you ever used that, you should know how helpful is that. Plus again with just single combination they make damage over 300. Also here it's a miracle to survive more than 7-8 turns. Again, even being luckiest man it is not possible.

And yet plenty of people clear it. I believe my approach was Patch, Modern Widow and someone. Probably Iron man to feed the other two and tank a bit. Spiderman isn't the only person who can stun and by being able to steal AP you remove that 6 AP window and stop the molitovs from falling in the first place. Patch is a regenerator so you can let him tank.

Or you could replace M.Widow with C Storm and go for flat out attack mode.
    Now please tell me, even if I have invested in few strong characters instead of having plenty of weak, do I deserve to be that way excluded from the competiotion ? Do you really think it is fair ? Where have I missed the warning from developers not to invest into few strong characters, well now it looks like it is better not to invest at all, weakest rosters are now leading all the score tables.
    [/quote][/quote]

Yes. Your strategy of 3 strong characters only is a terrible strategy and it is harming you. Your inability to play without Spider-man is an issue central to you and you deserve to not do as well as a result of your limitations. What is goiung to happen to you when they nerf Magneto and SPider-Man? Completely unplayable game?

When you pick a bad strategy you deserve to not win. When you are unwilling to learn how to use 25 characters because you have your favourite 3 then that limitation should cost you. And it is.
  • griller wrote:
    Are you also talking about level 220+ oponents ? Because this is the point, I have absolutely no problem with levels up to 140 without spidey, but once over 200's charge their power the game is over. You are right with the widow, but if you can't stun them, it's just the question of luck not to let her get a cascade, they usually get one per 5-7 turns.

In the meantime I got through the dinosaur with a lot of luck and only thanks to magneto, which was still making blue 5-matches without even letting the dinosaur play until the beast was dead, but it took me 40 minutes of analysis every single move to make it perfect and even though i was just extremely lucky, that enough blue and red were falling from the sky. The dinosaur got a cascade with 17 green AP in the 3-rd turn and from that time I managed to play until the end only with magneto. Next 10 times I will loose for sure.

I'm playing with level 230s in both normal and hard modes. I actually save devil dino for last. I use a buffed char, an ap stealer and someone notoriously good in the forest. The opponent never has enough ap to use abilities unless they get a lucky cascade.
  • Eddiemon
    Options
    griller wrote:

Ok well with a **** character Invisible Woman can drop defence tiles that prevent 300+ damage apiece. So you could run her, hood and doom and just let dooms demons tick them to death. Hood will ensure nobody buiilds up too much energy.

Or a Maxed X force wolverine can I believe surcive a Dino Bite, and his self regen ability isn't horrible. Pair that with Hoods ability to reduce timers and you have a thing. Just make sure your thirs character is a DPS type.

You can use Captain America as a straight up stun, as he is buffed for this tournament. Add in an IM 40 to keep him supplied with red and blue, round the team out with say Daken and you have it made.

Or use IM40 or Doom to tank blue for M.Widow or C.Storm. Not that C Storm needs it because she is also buffed for the tournament. YOu can hide your squishies behind stronger characters.

There are a LOT of paths to success that don't involve Spider-man. You may need to play a match against goons afterwards to heal up team members if your non regenerators took too many hits. But that's now real impediment and you get points and rewards from those missions too.
  • I'm having a lot easier time with this tournament after giving Moonstone and Daken some ISO to get to L25 so they can join my L65 Storm.

I'm sure someone with the buffed characters at higher levels can do much better than I am, especially with some of the bigger buffed characters like Rags and IM40.
    Not sure why you'd insist on sticking with the non-buffed characters.

/ now if only I had a Doom cover... tossed my daily one because I didn't have room for him and don't really want him lol icon_e_sad.gif
  • Great tips by Eddiemon. I decided to try the spidey, hawkeye and gsbw fight with Patch, doom and C. Storm. Hawkeye got off a CD I couldn't reach and nearly wiped out storm and major damage to my team. 3 tempests in a row took out GSBW and nearly wiped out others. Oh how I miss that icon_e_smile.gif