Anything on deck for attacks while in match?

13»

Comments

• bdksni1
    bdksni1 Posts: 103
    Sometimes it seems that some people are talking about olives and others about peanuts..
    Line is a great asset to improve your scores by 200-300pts average but don't getme wrong you still have to know the mechanics of the game we all love (some not so much lol) beforehand.
    I only started using LINE a few seasons ago, i felt the need to join because iwanted to improve my game BUT i was already familiar with the core mechanics of shield hopping and target finding. Before joining the LINE community i was a 3*transitioner averaging 14k season. Since then i completed that stage, cover maxed most of my 4*s and am now scoring +18k season.
    But getting on topic again if you want to keep improving (in example consistently getting over 1.3k)it comes to a point where in game chat and endless skipping won't be enough to pull it off. Search the forums, install the evil app or write a rage quit topic loool whatever you think is better for you icon_e_wink.gif
  • Phraeg wrote:
    Arctic_One wrote:
    I am tired of hearing people say "Just shield hop." Gee, why didn't I think of that?? It doesn't work if you have no usable 4*. You cant beat 30,000-45,000 point teams fast enough to not get hit several times in the process. I have had multiple times at 990+ points and won a 50+ point match to find out i'm now at around 800 total. Then last 2 pvp I see 1000+ points displayed and Im all excited and get...................nothing. Update lag just gave me a huge middle-finger. Since the inception of LTs I have gotten only 5, one from DDQ vault and one from a PVE grind that seemed so unworth it, and 3 from CP collecting. 3-NFury, 1-IW, 1-ProfX. Not the best of luck but I wont complain as I need ALL of the 4*.
    I dont know what the answer is to this problem, I just know the problem is real.

Actually you don't need to find points higher than yours. You can shield hop fine vs lower points and weaker rosters than your own. Why fight a 50 point match at 990 when all you need is a ten pointer?
    no guarantee that 10 point match is 10 points, so you may end up short either way.
  • Cypr3ss
    Cypr3ss Posts: 155 Tile Toppler
    Heartburn wrote:
    Phraeg wrote:
    Actually you don't need to find points higher than yours. You can shield hop fine vs lower points and weaker rosters than your own. Why fight a 50 point match at 990 when all you need is a ten pointer?
    no guarantee that 10 point match is 10 points, so you may end up short either way.
    I've found this is a sure fire way to not get the advertised amount of points, because weaker rosters (I'm attempting the 4* transition, no usable 4s atm) are easy(er) for everyone so they get hit a lot. The one good thing is you're unlikely to be retaliated against if their roster is significantly weaker than yours, but at anything over 500 points I'm finding that's less & less likely (i.e. the 'weaker rosters' comprise of 'not quite max'd 3*' which if the board is right/points are enough they'll take).

Regards,
    Cypr3ss.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    tips for queuing - pay attn to alliances. you can always score check the t10 alliances from the alliance rankings. you can also score check those in alliances around your alliance's rank. if you're doing a critical match, taking a few seconds to look at the alliance or another 10 seconds skipping until you find one you can verify score is worth it many times. if you're doing a hop, you should really try to avoid an unkown pt match.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor

When I help people with PvP, my first line is something like, "Decide on a goal, and make a realistic assessment of the costs of attaining it. Thinking about 'getting' lucky is meaningless. You don't want to rely on luck. You want to get there every time, like clockwork. And you can. It just won't be cheap; how not cheap will depend on your roster, time, willingness, connections, and the goal set for yourself."

As always, aesthetocyst is terse and entirely accurate. Getting what you want in PVP depends on your willingness to make a commitment. I have a growing 166 roster (with 2 unused 5*s) and aes and Malcrof coached me to two consecutive 1300 finishes. The hardest thing is committing to spend HP on shields, but it's easy to overlook that, by performing at higher levels, you're also earning more HP.

When getting started, pick the battles you want the 1K award for. I wanted HB and Jean, and I got 'em, but I'm not hitting that progression every time yet. Line is super useful (I'm a convert), but as others have pointed out, you don't need it; Jeanbuster is useful, but as I can attest, you don't need 'em to meet progression goals. Slice four is a better place to earn, but you can hit progression anywhere with enough maxed 3*s.

None of these things is necessary, but committing to one or two can change your game, and the rest will follow. But you have to be willing to change. It works.
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    Players complaining about the one aspect of PvP in MPQ that is actually somewhat ... umm ... "PVP".

A Forum classic!

This OP is specifically about being attacked while in a match tho.

Presumably being attacked while not fighting is A-OK then?

So let's see....if we can't be attacked (or at least not debited .... server is presumably unable to predict the future) while fighting, then we could just play to whatever point, shield, play again as long as we like content in the knowledge that we won't lose points so long as we keep fighting, then shield again....and repeat to whatever score we like.

No downside. No risk.

Sounds thrilling.

To further the point, supposing you have the battery life to support it...
    Have 2 teams, go into the fights until one team is weak enough to be swapped, then on the second set of fights, go for a little while and then just wait.
    Once you've waited long enough, the first team will be fully healed and ready for action, and you won't be debited the points.
    More or less, free shielding.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Cypr3ss wrote:
    Heartburn wrote:
    Phraeg wrote:
    I've found this is a sure fire way to not get the advertised amount of points, because weaker rosters (I'm attempting the 4* transition, no usable 4s atm) are easy(er) for everyone so they get hit a lot. The one good thing is you're unlikely to be retaliated against if their roster is significantly weaker than yours, but at anything over 500 points I'm finding that's less & less likely (i.e. the 'weaker rosters' comprise of 'not quite max'd 3*' which if the board is right/points are enough they'll take).

Regards,
    Cypr3ss.

^^^This is true My roster is mid transition 3* and I will happily take on most maxed 3* teams and I'll even stretch to some 4* teams because with the right board and some good denial game I can win...of course I know the retal will definitely get me since AI doesn't know how to use my PVP team at my level though I'm not complaining yet.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    of course I know the retal will definitely get me since AI doesn't know how to use my PVP team at my level though I'm not complaining yet.
    if you avoid hitting lower pt opponents, it won't be worth it for them to retal. unless I can verify a retals pts, I will usually skip for a fresh/verifiable high pt queue when its time for my push. hopping is a different animal thought - you have lots of time to check on stuff and let dust settle. I think 50 pt wins retal in the 20s? who wants to risk a 20-25 pt retal when it might give the other guy a 50 pt retal? my retals went way down when I used more iso to find the 55-60 pt matches rather than settle for the 40-45 pt matches. now my retals have gone back up after I climb since everyone in game can check my score most of the event.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    TxMoose wrote:
    of course I know the retal will definitely get me since AI doesn't know how to use my PVP team at my level though I'm not complaining yet.
    if you avoid hitting lower pt opponents, it won't be worth it for them to retal. unless I can verify a retals pts, I will usually skip for a fresh/verifiable high pt queue when its time for my push. hopping is a different animal thought - you have lots of time to check on stuff and let dust settle. I think 50 pt wins retal in the 20s? who wants to risk a 20-25 pt retal when it might give the other guy a 50 pt retal? my retals went way down when I used more iso to find the 55-60 pt matches rather than settle for the 40-45 pt matches. now my retals have gone back up after I climb since everyone in game can check my score most of the event.

At the moment since my roster is still developing I'm aware of my limitations so I try to hit my alliance requirement at a time which will enable me to shield my total until the end. When I progress further and start aiming for 800/1000 point progressions I'll be a bit more picky but right now it's not necessary for me yet.
  • Cypr3ss
    TxMoose wrote:
    who wants to risk a 20-25 pt retal when it might give the other guy a 50 pt retal?
    I didn't think a retal win gave the original attacker a retal?

I.e. If I attack TxMoose (find him on a node as an available target), TxMoose gets a red node with my name on it. If he attacks me from this, I was of the impression I'd get the 'you were attacked' notification, indicating how many points I'd lost, but I wouldn't get the red node with his name in it? This is of course assuming he wins the retal.

Regards,
    Cypr3ss.
  • Cypr3ss
    Retals go tit-for-tat until someone loses, or someone shields (shielded players don't get retals), or someone loses a retal (overwritten by a different retal).
    Interesting! I hadn't realised that.

Possibly moving a little off-topic, but do we know how many 'retals per node' you're able to queue before they start being overwritten? I have skipped retals before looking for a 'high point' match, only to run out of retals and not find the match I was looking for. i.e. u were attacked! with a list of names, one of which was a 10-15 point loss, which would usually result in a high point retal but that name never appears on any of the nodes.

Regards,
    Cypr3ss.