Time to restructure release event rewards

PeterGibbons316
PeterGibbons316 Posts: 1,063
edited November 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
The level of competitive play for PvE release events has gotten ridiculous. I think the player base has grown enough to warrant more covers being given out for release events.

I was off work and was able to get in 3 full clears and 3 hour grinds for each sub and that was only good enough for 46th place - 1 cover. That's a ridiculous amount of work that has to be done to only be rewarded with 1 cover for a new character. IMO they should double the number of people in each tier. Top 10 get 3 covers, top 40 get 2, top 200 get 1.

I realize that D3 isn't in the business of giving these things away for free. But remember - the more people that get release covers, the more who can spend that 2500 HP to buy more. Think about it.

Comments

• NewMcG
    NewMcG Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    I believe they have already doubled it from where it used to be. Not sure on the specifics (as I wouldn't even know where to find them at this point), but for a significant chunk of time at the beginning of the game's run, I'm pretty sure it was top 5, 10, 50 finish for 3, 2, 1 cover(s), respectively.
  • The level of competitive play for PvE release events has gotten ridiculous. I think the player base has grown enough to warrant more covers being given out for release events.

I was off work and was able to get in 3 full clears and 3 hour grinds for each sub and that was only good enough for 46th place - 1 cover. That's a ridiculous amount of work that has to be done to only be rewarded with 1 cover for a new character. IMO they should double the number of people in each tier. Top 10 get 3 covers, top 40 get 2, top 200 get 1.

I realize that D3 isn't in the business of giving these things away for free. But remember - the more people that get release covers, the more who can spend that 2500 HP to buy more. Think about it.

While I sympathize with your plight of doing your utmost best but only being rewarded with 1 cover, I think the system is in place to instill competition. The top scorers are being rewarded for expending more their time and lifeforce on the game, which is why I feel they should be rewarded more compared to those who spend less time.
    Perhaps you can shift your focus to PvP, where less effort is required to attain rewards. (Though more hp is required)

That said, I do agree that more can be done for the general player base, which in turn might help stimulate moar $ from cover purchases. Perhaps the rewards can be tweaked so that a wider range of players can attain the covers. i.e:
    top 3 - 20 get 3 covers,
    top 21 - 80 get 2 covers,
    top 81 - 150 get 1 cover.

Waddya think?
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    PVE should be more relaxed - it should be played at ones time frame. Guantlet was a good effort from devs, even if the recent one slipped a bit in terms of scaling and the award structure doesn't reflect the game. The Ant-Man event was great - (well - not for a month but for 3-5 days). Would anybody be unhappy if we had and event like this once a week (event would be 3-4 days) to get a specific 4* cover. It would be somewhat similar to ddq but for 4*. Amazing stuff I tell you.

The current PVE - OMG not again. I stopped playing PVE almost completly before LT were introduced. At that point I though - ok - I will grind to the LT token. I don't need any 3* but I need almost all 4* so that made sense. I was playing new releases as well but my goal has been to score 1 cover at top 100.

Ghost Rider event exosted be in terms of game play. I liked the enemies as they were mainly goons (so less health packs) but the battles were long and too many. I ended up grinding to 70k points. In my bracket that was good enough for 121 place. Thanks for no Ghost Rider D3. Unfortunately my Alliance was knocked out of top 100 by mercs flying around (we were 102, in last minutes of event while during the event we were above top 50 mark). You got to be kidding me D3?

So I don't have a single Rider cover. Good for me - he won't be usable for months and I can save HP for slots.

PVE needs an overhaul big time and fast. It has to be less competitive!!!!
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Magic wrote:

The Ant-Man event was great - (well - not for a month but for 3-5 days). Would anybody be unhappy if we had and event like this once a week (event would be 3-4 days) to get a specific 4* cover. It would be somewhat similar to ddq but for 4*. Amazing stuff I tell you.

Completely agree. After the first PvE were the new 4 is presented we should have something like "Grow industry" for ALL 4s.

I also did the 3 clears and like 1:30 to 2 hours of grinding in the end, and I was just 40 too. I was hoping for top100 so it is ok, but when I try for top20, because the 4 is very good, the amount of work is massive (I don't know anymore what it is you have to do to be top10 or even top5). And it is not guaranteed that I will get the two covers! So you could put this massive amount of work and be 21 :S
  • Deadpooool wrote:
    The level of competitive play for PvE release events has gotten ridiculous. I think the player base has grown enough to warrant more covers being given out for release events.

While I sympathize with your plight of doing your utmost best but only being rewarded with 1 cover, I think the system is in place to instill competition. The top scorers are being rewarded for expending more their time and lifeforce on the game, which is why I feel they should be rewarded more compared to those who spend less time.
    Perhaps you can shift your focus to PvP, where less effort is required to attain rewards. (Though more hp is required)

That said, I do agree that more can be done for the general player base, which in turn might help stimulate moar $ from cover purchases. Perhaps the rewards can be tweaked so that a wider range of players can attain the covers. i.e:
    top 3 - 20 get 3 covers,
    top 21 - 80 get 2 covers,
    top 81 - 150 get 1 cover.

Waddya think?
    I agree, I think PvE is a competition of time commitment. But the player base has grown to the point where A LOT of people out there are willing to invest the maximum time required to do 3 full clears, and then grind everything down to 1. And so it becomes less a battle of time, and more a guessing game of who can most closely guess the right amount of time it will take to grind all the nodes down. First sub, 2.5 hours wasn't enough for me so second sub I gave myself 3.5 hours - still not long enough. Third sub I started my final grind with 5 hours left (with a short break to put the kids to bed) and just about got every node to 1. So I was pretty much willing to put in the time required, but I guessed wrong at how long it would take to get everything down to 1.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Usually i go for t100 or higher in new release events, and have gotten some t10's and t20's. but usually only shoot for t100, enough to get a cover for the essential node.. but with Ghost Rider being one of my all time favorite heroes.. i went full bore.. even setting alarms for optimal clears and whatnot.

What i ended up with was 22nd place, and 1 cover.. An alliancemate with a score slightly lower than mine.. got t10 in his bracket..

So 2 people who did the same amount of grinding, and got the same score... one person ended with 4 covers (alliance cover included), and the other 2 covers..

I wanted to whale GR, but not even going to bother now, only 1 color for him..

I like the Ultron/Galactus way for new 4*s, you have your insane progressions.. but you get 3 covers out of it, no matter what, if you can hit it. What irks me even more.. my wife, who was shopping most of the weekend.. decided to join the event with about 2 hours left.. she got #3 for barely playing while watching a movie on the final evening of the event....

Yah, it needs work..
  • IlDuderino
    IlDuderino Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    I think they need to get more generous generally. The individual rewards for finishing high in the season are incredibly stingy. Last season I came 2nd and drew 2 needed 3* covers from 3 10 packs. The amount of effort at least deserved a 4*. They have increased the rewards a bit now by adding some CP but I am hardly going to burn through thousands of HP in shields all season for a couple of 10 packs and a handful of CP. I would suggest adding more tiers to the season rewards (e.g. more HP, some CP and a 4* cover below the Legendary Token), add an extra 4* cover or a Legendary Token in the Sim at say 2,300 points. Progress is far too ssssslllllllllooooooooowwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    I agree with Malcrof on new character releases should be done via Ultron/Galactus(v2) events.

Yes, more covers would probably be given out as a whole but it actually gives the potential for more money for the devs because a lot more people will have the ability to whale out the character immediately via cover purchases.

Pros
    No horrible grinding to try to beat someone
    Build teamwork with your alliance mates
    Sales go up for covers
    Less stress

Cons
    Sales of cover packs might go down
    Merc'ing would have to happen before the events but is still doable and doesn't negatively impact other teams
  • Bryan Lambert
    Bryan Lambert Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    New McG wrote:
    I believe they have already doubled it from where it used to be. Not sure on the specifics (as I wouldn't even know where to find them at this point), but for a significant chunk of time at the beginning of the game's run, I'm pretty sure it was top 5, 10, 50 finish for 3, 2, 1 cover(s), respectively.

The shift from T50 to T100 happened when 4*'s were still fairly rarefied, and new 3* PvE's were happening with the usual T150 awards.

But now that 4*'s are the norm, placement rewards haven't shifted to compensate.

A short-term fix would be expanding new 4* releases to top 150 to match the 3* releases. A longer-term fix would be to adjust scaling to a more fixed difficulty across all of PvE, and give all PvE's a t150 4* (new or old), then 3* rewards in the next tier, then 2* rewards in the tier below that - the better the roster, the more nodes you can clear, the higher your score, the higher your placement, the better your rewards.
  • Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 806 Critical Contributor
    The simplest change they could make which would have a big impact is to make the alliance t100 cover the same color as the one for t10. It would allow anyone in a t100 alliance to finis 1/1/1 for t20 in a 4* new release or t50 for a 3* event.

In Hearts of Darkness the cover rewards would have looked like this:

t2-- 2Xblack, 1 red, 1 green
    t10-- 1 black, 1 red, green
    t20 --1 red, 1 green
    t100-- 1 red

If alliance t100 was changed from 1 red to 1 black it gives everyone an extra color cover.

This was the way it was when alliance pve awards were first given out. It was changed because the devs felt it was encouraging alliance swapping. Currently alliance swapping is still alive and well. If the devs would make this one change you would have way more people coming out of a new release with a more generally covered character.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Malcrof wrote:
    Usually i go for t100 or higher in new release events, and have gotten some t10's and t20's. but usually only shoot for t100, enough to get a cover for the essential node.. but with Ghost Rider being one of my all time favorite heroes.. i went full bore.. even setting alarms for optimal clears and whatnot.

What i ended up with was 22nd place, and 1 cover.. An alliancemate with a score slightly lower than mine.. got t10 in his bracket..

So 2 people who did the same amount of grinding, and got the same score... one person ended with 4 covers (alliance cover included), and the other 2 covers..

I wanted to whale GR, but not even going to bother now, only 1 color for him..

I like the Ultron/Galactus way for new 4*s, you have your insane progressions.. but you get 3 covers out of it, no matter what, if you can hit it. What irks me even more.. my wife, who was shopping most of the weekend.. decided to join the event with about 2 hours left.. she got #3 for barely playing while watching a movie on the final evening of the event....

Yah, it needs work..

I'm eerily similar, but wound up worse. I cleared everything optimally and did a big grind at the end of each sub and wound up ... 117. Not a sausage. One thing I noticed was the people around me all had nearly the exact same score, so I guess I pulled a death bracket full of strivers. The kicker? My wife joins 2 hours before the end and pulls a casual t50 finish. It's ... frustrating.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think placement rewards should first be restructured from the current ranking system and second what placement you have, you also get all the rewards of thr lower placements kinda like placing 1st. Therefore I placed 94 to get one gr cover, but would have also been given that Collossus cover and 2 star covers in addition.
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    New McG wrote:

The shift from T50 to T100 happened when 4*'s were still fairly rarefied, and new 3* PvE's were happening with the usual T150 awards.

They also expanded bracket sizes from 500 to 1000, so they weren't actually giving more covers when it changed to current situation.

I agree, though, that they should be more generous with release event covers.

Oh, and this was an insanely competitive event; even for a release event. I usually finish top-10, did more grinding than usual (I don't have it in me to try for top-2), and only did top-20. Not a bust, but I did miss out on his only really good cover.

As a side note, am I the only one who feels like they've gone from giving a character's best cover at top-100 level to giving the worst there? I mean, I did top-100 for Jean (I've learned a lot since then), and got her purple. Ditto for Deadpool, getting his red at top-100. A bit of whaling (I'll skip the story of why I did it for Jean, but it's more complicated than you'd expect), and both immediately became mainstays of my play. Jean still is, though with her now fully covered, nothing is surprising about that.
  • Stupid question, but does D3 have community manager? Do they anyway keep contact to the gamers that play their game? Cause past events have been horribly organized/untested and forums are constantly filled with reality threats.

Does anyone in D3 actually know what is going on in the game?
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker

The more people that get release covers, the less people who will spend 3800 or 15800 HP in 10 and 40 packs to get that first cover.

Think about it. icon_e_wink.gif
  • I ranked 27th and only got one cover. Kind of a bummer. Bought the 40 pack with 1.4 % odds and didn't get one cover. Kinda ticked off right now.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares wrote:
    Magic wrote:

The Ant-Man event was great - (well - not for a month but for 3-5 days). Would anybody be unhappy if we had and event like this once a week (event would be 3-4 days) to get a specific 4* cover. It would be somewhat similar to ddq but for 4*. Amazing stuff I tell you.

Completely agree. After the first PvE were the new 4 is presented we should have something like "Grow industry" for ALL 4s.

I also did the 3 clears and like 1:30 to 2 hours of grinding in the end, and I was just 40 too. I was hoping for top100 so it is ok, but when I try for top20, because the 4 is very good, the amount of work is massive (I don't know anymore what it is you have to do to be top10 or even top5). And it is not guaranteed that I will get the two covers! So you could put this massive amount of work and be 21 :S

so your mostly saying too bad for people with 2 and low rank 3 stars cause they will never be able to beat grow industry. I think PVP should be turn into grow indstry as well then.

the simple way to make it is BOSS FIGHTS like ultron that would be the best way to fix the thing. Now before you say its not fair for people not in allainces. Well one go get into one, really though they could scale it depending on how many people are in a group

if they took PVE and turn it into a pure gaunlet style event i say you would see this game gone within 6 months.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    slidecage wrote:
    if they took PVE and turn it into a pure gaunlet style event i say you would see this game gone within 6 months.

They do not need to go as far as turning all pve events into gauntlets, they can keep the flexibility of the current events, but just need to put the new covers as the progression rewards in the event rather than as the placement rewards because after all there is pvp for making them as placement rewards.

Moving the main rewards to placement would also allow them to expect a fixed amount of clears in order to hit the targets and you could do away with refresh times within a sub giving players far more flexibility in when they played the game, which would be a huge QoL improvement to pve.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd get the idea of the current reward system if they ever, *ever* bothered to award 4*s as a placement reward ever again.

Once a new 4* is out the gate, that's it. You find them in a legendary, you get 1000 in PvP or you place 1st or 2nd in PvE or 1st in PvP. What kind of odds are those? I have played for two years and NEVER placed first in PvE, closest I got was top 5, but it was from before I could see post-event results so I have no idea if I was 3rd, 4th or 5th. It was also when I still had a meager 3* roster and was relying on my 2*s to carry me so I had the newbie brackets still.

Now? Not a chance. When I start an event and do a complete run of the first sub event and am already in 150th with half the points of the guy in first place I have no chance. I finished that PvE in 76th with still half the score of the guy in first place. I cannot even fathom how that was possible, I ended with 76,504 points and the guy in first had 101144 points. I just checked his roster and his highest level 4* is a level 166 Invisible Woman. His roster is worse than mine, and yet he ended up with 25k more than me *somehow*. Don't even know how, really. I mean I didn't grind everything down to 1 but I can't imagine I left 25k worth behind.

Regardless, my point is simply that for an introductory PvE, why bother aiming for anything other than top 100 if you can't reach top 20? Best I've ever done was top 38, I believe, and I realised afterwards I'd basically wasted my time in that last few hours. They never run the opportunity for a 4* in placement ever again. With the 3*s I'd play the PvE because I'd be almost gauranteed a 3* at the end, maybe 2 if I worked hard for it. That was a good feeling, I could boost them up quick. 4*s though, I got a cover for X-23 and felt good...and then wondered why I felt good. I still haven't got Professor X into a workable state and he came out in March. It's going to take even longer to get X-23 to the point where I even bother using her for anything other than a required node. Hell, I nearly didn't bother doing the GR PvE because, honestly, what's one cover when the other 12 will take a year to acquire?
  • Omega Red wrote:

The more people that get release covers, the less people who will spend 3800 or 15800 HP in 10 and 40 packs to get that first cover.

Think about it. icon_e_wink.gif
    Lol, yes - you are right. I don't have access to the data (obviously), but I would wager that more people would be willing to spend $ to whale a character at 2500/cover than would bother trying to acquire a new cover in a pack. There is even one person in this thread that admitted to it. And I'm the same way. There are a handful of characters that I fell in love with early and whaled them to 5 covers in their two strongest abilities......once I had at least one of each cover. I would never waste money on packs for a shot at it though because it's just too expensive for a chance at the one cover that I want.