Scarlet Witch's CD Tile

Leugenesmiff
Leugenesmiff Posts: 401 Mover and Shaker
edited December 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Does anyone else notice that Wanda likes to place her tile in some of the worst possible places most of the time? I swear a quarter of the time it creates a match when it's placed. Half the time it's either on an edge or positioned for an immediate match 3,4, or 5. Then maybe the final quarter it's in a position where it might go off.
Is this punishment for killing Hawkeye, Vision, and Ant-Man?

Comments

• turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think the generic mathematic chances of wrong placement are in fact high. for insance, edge possibility is 28/64=44%
  • It's also like, the only tile-generating passive I can recall that puts it on a random tile (changing it to Blue) instead of just putting it on a normal pre-existing ThatColor tile.

I mean jeez lightest blue battery move in the game.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    She also likes to create the blue CD in a place you're about to make a 4 or 5-match of a color you really need.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is another one that comes up every few months.. we were all keeping track for a while, and the conclusion was 50% of the time it is in the 2 outer rows (top/bottom/side) and 50% in the inner rows.

Which is just only slightly outside of what it should be.

The problem with the stats being kept, is the occasions it makes a blue match when created, it can be hard to tell where it was, since it happens quickly.

Feel free to start tracking it, and we can toss this into the stats thread so records can be kept.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I feel compelled to agree with TC.
    The times when it doesn't create itself near the only 3 lue tiles on the board is when it stuffs itself into a corner.

Sure, it does fire off a lot but you have to pray the enemy doesn't decide to ignore it until it has 1 turn left and *then* match it, like they tend to.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Does anyone else notice that Wanda likes to place her tile in some of the worst possible places most of the time?
    In response to people claiming "confirmation bias", I tracked placements of the CD tile and found that it landed in the corner far more than the 1/16 one would expect.
  • XandorXerxes
    XandorXerxes Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    Part of the problem in determining the odds is that it isn't a flat random chance - if you play with / against Daken for example, he's spewing strike tiles which she won't replace. Of course off the top of my head I would imagine that would actually decrease the odds of it being on a wall / in a corner, because special tiles are more likely to survive when they're not in the middle. *shrugs*
  • Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    simonsez wrote:
    Does anyone else notice that Wanda likes to place her tile in some of the worst possible places most of the time?
    In response to people claiming "confirmation bias", I tracked placements of the CD tile and found that it landed in the corner far more than the 1/16 one would expect.
    So you think that the devs coded it to land in the corners more often than should be expected? Seems utterly, utterly bizarre.
  • simonsez wrote:

That's the problem with echo chambers. It doesn't matter what you say, how you track it, or how many screenshots you have. You just need a couple trolls to take shots at you and then a few others to fall into line, and you're basically discounted as a "whiner," or whatever the forum-appropriate shout-down is these days.

Everything's fine, it's just you.

DBC
  • SolidQ
    SolidQ Posts: 247 Tile Toppler
    They should ban put Cd tile in A1, A8, H1, H8 icon_e_smile.gif
  • A tile in the center of the board has 8 tiles around it and then 12 tiles around that to be used to match it. A tile in the corner has 3 tiles and then 4 tiles around that making it far less likely to be matched.

So you remember CD tiles on the edges and corners more because they are on the board longer, and more likely to resolve when in those positions.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    So you think that the devs coded it to land in the corners more often than should be expected? Seems utterly, utterly bizarre.
    Is what I think going to affect what you think?
  • Rob13
    Rob13 Posts: 41
    I think the bigger complaint for her is that when playing against sw, you have to wait a turn for your CD to generate while the opponents gets placed on first turn. If it's already been **** about my apologies.
  • AdamMagus
    AdamMagus Posts: 363 Mover and Shaker
    Yes I do notice it landing on the edges and or near 2 blues so the AI can match it once the coundtdown is down to 1

I can see it being coded this way intentionally in order to dissuade the use of Winfinite

Mr Fantastic's CD by comparison hardly ever finds its way to the edges
  • XandorXerxes
    XandorXerxes Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    Rob13 wrote:
    I think the bigger complaint for her is that when playing against sw, you have to wait a turn for your CD to generate while the opponents gets placed on first turn. If it's already been **** about my apologies.

Think of it like competitive card games (a la Magic the Gathering). Player who goes 2nd gets an extra card over the player who goes first. It's a balancing compensation for having the disadvantage of going 2nd. Luke Cage + Iron Fist make the best example. If LC + IF are fighting LC + IF and the tiles drop on the first round, you hit your opponent for full damage from IF's attack tile and get a protect tile before he can make a play. Then on his turn his attack tile hits you, but you've already got the protect tile up.

Given that we go first every time, I think it's fair compensation. Besides, that also means we can't lose before we play a single move (thanks, cascades).
  • Rob13
    Rob13 Posts: 41
    That seems like a completely fair and logical answer. I'll take it!! Thanks.
  • Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    simonsez wrote:
    Is what I think going to affect what you think?
    Not sure how to respond to that.

But I'm just finding it highly unlikely that they would actually choose to purposefully code it so that it lands in the corners more often than usual. I mean, why on earth would they do that?

And I say this as a software developer so I have a pretty good idea of how I would go about doing it if I needed to.

Did you calculate the p-value of your finding, out of interest? (I seem to recall you saying that you're a statistician of some kind - I wouldn't ask this from a normal poster and am not taking you to task or anything. Just that if you happened to calculate it (or still have the data available) it would be fun to know)
  • Konman
    Konman Posts: 410 Mover and Shaker
    Its more annoying when you are hovering over the match that you want to make, and SW says, "I am putting blue countdown tile there, iz zat problem?"
  • The biggest problem IMO is that the tile's countdown doesn't match the description. Description says 3-turn CD, but when it's placed, it starts at 4-turn.
  • PeeOne
    PeeOne Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    I notice if it gets destroyed as soon as placed it flashes a 5 turn CD instead of - in my case 4!