Who are the 2* taco rewards meant to be for?

OneLastGambit
OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
edited November 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
In the DDQ Vault there are a number of 2* 'rewards'. What I'm confused about is who they are intended for? You see as a 3* transitioner I know they aren't for me, and they obviously aren't intended for the tiers above me.

But! they also aren't for 1/2* people either since you need at least 3 well covered and levelled 2* characters to beat the wave node for the first taco.... so you need 2* characters...to win 2* characters. I suppose some bright spark will point out that you COULD do it with 1* characters but even that first wave node can be tricky for new players with a young roster.

So who do those 2* prizes help?

Comments

• Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    They are not meant to help - on the contrary. They are meant to slow down the progression a bit. You get a token but the award will be useless in 250 out of 300 cases.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Don't forget there are 2* essentials for PVE so if a higher tiered player needs a specific 2* they can use their tacos to try to pull them to use for that particular PVE event.
  • OneLastGambit
    Magic wrote:
    They are not meant to help - on the contrary. They are meant to slow down the progression a bit. You get a token but the award will be useless in 250 out of 300 cases.

You're almost correct I suppose, they do help - D3. Not the playerbase
  • Platzy
    Platzy Posts: 77 Match Maker
    The 2* wave node has a Level range of 20-50 - That is doable with a mixed 1* and moderate 2* roster.
    So this seems to be for Players who have begun their 2* transition, but are still working on fully fleshing out their 2*roster.

And since a lot of these players may also have the occasional lone 3* cover, they can attempt Dat Required Character for a shot at a second token.

And if you don't need them anymore because you can beat the nodes with ease, they are an easy to get token that gives you at least 250 Iso worth.
  • OneLastGambit
    Don't forget there are 2* essentials for PVE so if a higher tiered player needs a specific 2* they can use their tacos to try to pull them to use for that particular PVE event.

2* tokens fall very regularly from standard tokens anyway (I could have built 3 MHawkeyes this week alone) so the argument that they are useful for that purpose while not being entirely redundant is certainly less valid.
  • Coltsjustwin
    Coltsjustwin Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    I was very grateful for the vault and the opportunity to fill up my 2* roster via ddq tokens...this let me have more characters that I could use to aid my 3/4* essentials ln other events.

I am now at a point where I'm trying to finish off my 3* and I look forward to earning 2 tokens and a cover most days.

Makes for a slow progression but it is at least progress.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards

But! they also aren't for 1/2* people either since you need at least 3 well covered and levelled 2* characters to beat the wave node for the first taco.... so you need 2* characters...to win 2* characters. I suppose some bright spark will point out that you COULD do it with 1* characters but even that first wave node can be tricky for new players with a young roster.

When I do bother playing with my alt account, that Taco node is the one I clear, which I did without fail with 1* Ironman-MBW-Storm at level 30. It's really, really easy. I've since leveled and it's even easier, but it most certainly helps a new player.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    there are 1* -> 2* transitioners that complete the small wave node and/or the essential node that haven't completed their 2*s yet. that is also what the 300 pt pvp progression is for - those in lower brackets with lower mmr can start with that as a goal to fill their roster out. and they wanted to reasonably fit the rewards from the ddq into the game economy. any higher rewards and (apparently) the economy would get out of whack a little and certain aspects would be accelerated too much, meaning they'd have to pull back somewhere else. for most of us, they are the consolation 250 iso prize, which also adds up over time and is beneficial, when basically its free for just participating (at a certain level). it can also be a source of pve essentials that you no longer have rostered. I know I'm down to six 2*s with one slot that rotates the pve essentials. those have to come from somewhere, although mostly from pvp drops, heroics, and stds - tacos could be a source for that as well.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you don't need the 2*, just think of it as a free 250 iso reward. Many don't need 3*s either.. think of those as 500 iso rewards...
  • OneLastGambit
    Malcrof wrote:
    If you don't need the 2*, just think of it as a free 250 iso reward. Many don't need 3*s either.. think of those as 500 iso rewards...

Well that is how I view, I'd just rather get the ISO straight up instead having a cover in my queue to sell...I'm lazy
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    And I thought that is why I had 250 standard tokens hoarded!!
  • They are there to make sure players don't progress too quickly, and to add a 'thrill' for you when you don't get one...
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    i have hit 250 tokens at least 10x and the 1000 3 times... i take those anyday over 20 ISO
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    slidecage wrote:
    i have hit 250 tokens at least 10x and the 1000 3 times... i take those anyday over 20 ISO

That would mean you have played DDQ for 2500 days to get 250 tokens x 10.. wow, impressive icon_e_biggrin.gif ! (i know you meant HP, but i couldn't help it)

Remember, we on the forums are only a small sampling of the player base.. the majority, and i know quite a few IRL, are actual F2P casual players.. most will never make a 4* transition, and many love that they are filling out their 2*s from DDQ and getting a smattering of 3*s and HP.

Those are the people ddq is mostly for. The hardcore players, and the ones who have issues with the 2* covers in the vault, are in a tiny minority, albeit a very vocal minority, but not who the vault was created to help.
  • OneLastGambit
    Malcrof wrote:
    slidecage wrote:

That would mean you have played DDQ for 2500 days to get 250 tokens x 10.. wow, impressive icon_e_biggrin.gif ! (i know you meant HP, but i couldn't help it)

Remember, we on the forums are only a small sampling of the player base.. the majority, and i know quite a few IRL, are actual F2P casual players.. most will never make a 4* transition, and many love that they are filling out their 2*s from DDQ and getting a smattering of 3*s and HP.

Those are the people ddq is mostly for. The hardcore players, and the ones who have issues with the 2* covers in the vault, are in a tiny minority, albeit a very vocal minority, but not who the vault was created to help.

I will have to respectfully disagree here Malcrof, I can't see devs creating a brand new game mode to cater for casual players who don't put money into the game. I think the earlier post is correct the taco vault really is designed to influence the paying customers to spend money and slow down our progress to the point that we become paying players to speed it up.
  • Malcrof wrote:
    slidecage wrote:

I will have to respectfully disagree here Malcrof, I can't see devs creating a brand new game mode to cater for casual players who don't put money into the game. I think the earlier post is correct the taco vault really is designed to influence the paying customers to spend money and slow down our progress to the point that we become paying players to speed it up.

Speaking as someone who used the vault the way Malcrof described it, I can say his version is more correct than yours. When I first started, I could barely do the 1/2 star nodes, but eventually, I was able to get at least 1 daily taco token. Then, as I got more 2* and 3* from that and story events, I started being able to get 2 daily tokens if I had the essential character, but I usually wasn't able to get the cover. I eventually figured out a strategy using 1* (I described this strategy in another thread), but have now transitioned to using a team of Loki, KK, and Black Panther because I was able to get a lot of those characters, and max them, using taco tokens from the vault, without ever having to buy them.

Even now, there are still some 3* I need covers for, and a lot of 4*, but I still do the two taco dailies, and sometimes the cover if I need it.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think the earlier post is correct the taco vault really is designed to influence the paying customers to spend money and slow down our progress to the point that we become paying players to speed it up.
    so adding ddq, when there was no ddq before, slowed down progress??? what??? that created paying customers? not following here.

prior to ddq I had not progressed to competing in pvp and most of my progress was via pve. ddq was a big boost to progress, not a slow-down. ironically I did spend money shortly after to add a pvp team to start finishing t100 in pvps, but not because ddq slowed progress down. I did it because I wanted even faster progress to make up for starting the game a year late.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    As stated above, the 2* rewards are just chaff to slow down the rate at which tacos give out "premium" covers. They are not really for anyone, in that players that can reliably earn tacos have absolutely no need for a steady flow of 2* covers.
  • I'm fine with the 2*, what I dislike are the odds, the vault should be scaled back to 100 instead of 300, and the same vault could last for example, 2 months and when you get a prize, it is locked and you can't pick this one again, also they should add CP and other stuff like 25000 iso instead of 1500. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • I mostly do the daily and taco vault to grind Iso, but today I got a Legendary token and from that a Silver Surfer cover.

ff6569a7c9289d6bfff9d7598dc5b32b1.jpg