Bars on sides of screen after latest update (Android)

OneLastGambit
OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
So just updated my game and now I have a horrible border around the screen. Is this intended? It looks terrible like it's in the wrong aspect ratio.

Comments

• BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    These types of threads probably belong in Bugs, and should be accompanied with your platform and device model.

I'm on a galaxy s5 and haven't noticed a difference.
  • kewlguirarist
    kewlguirarist Posts: 44 Just Dropped In
    Galaxy S6 is fine but my mate's HTC M8 has the weird borders. Both Android of course.
  • I too have the borders, posting from an Android LG V10
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm happy for the thread to be moved to bugs bit didn't put it there originally because I didn't know if it was Just my device or not .

LG g4 here
  • Lidolas
    Lidolas Posts: 500
    Nexus 5, and I've got an odd border, mostly noticeable on the sides. It doesn't take up a lot of real estate, but it doesn't seem to be any purpose to it.
  • antreas1911
    antreas1911 Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    Terrible borders around my screen too, in Sony Xperia.
  • mr_X
    mr_X Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    Nexus 5 also and it is ugly. The contrast is not good on the eyes. Especially when puzzle questers have the tendency to spend a lot of time looking at the screen.

Not sure this if should be in the bugs section though. According to google play this is an intended redesign for mobile devices.
  • Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    Ugly vertical borders, on Moto G 2015
  • Can someone post a screenshot so we know what people are referring to? I have vertical borders on both sides of the screen, but I can't tell if it was there before or not. iPad and iPhone here.
  • I didn't see anyone complaining about screen size before and now that its been "fixed", everyone's complaining. Can we roll back please. HTC One M8 here.
  • mr_X
    mr_X Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    Galaxy S6 is fine but my mate's HTC M8 has the weird borders. Both Android of course.

Sold. Way to buy an S6 if it works on that. Been meaning to by a new phone anyhow but this has sealed the deal.
  • ejmus
    ejmus Posts: 55 Match Maker
    Asus Padfone (no-name) KitKat.
  • Same on LG G4 on left and right side. Very terrible looking
  • Pinko_McFly
    Pinko_McFly Posts: 282 Mover and Shaker
    Same on my old galaxy victory.
    Like my fat fingers didn't have enough problems already, they make it just a bit tighter
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Everything looks normal here, Note 5
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    Can someone affected post a pic?
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2015
    I have diagnosed the problem! I use a Galaxy S4 with the CyanogenMod custom android OS that lets me use customizable "virtual" buttons instead of the hardware buttons installed in the phone. And when I installed R88, the game displayed with a frame. But when I turned off the virtual buttons, the frame went away! Comparison below:

yfiWTrD.jpgXPAh3ah.jpg

Diagnosis: The game is now displaying at a fixed resolution. If a device's available screen area doesn't fit that resolution, for instance because there's a half-inch at the bottom reserved for navigation buttons, it uses a frame to force that resolution. Lovely.
  • I take it iOS devices don't have this problem?
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    iOS devices only have four screen ratios (iPhone original, iPhone 5/s, iPhone 6/s/+, iPad/mini), so they wouldn't run into this problem. This is ahppening with devices that have screens of different sizes/ratios than the ones Demiurge uses for testing, I'd bet money on it.
  • rkd80
    rkd80 Posts: 376
    Confirmed ugly borders

Htc One m8 Android.