New competition - Venom devours a 5* - we have a winner

Moon Roach
Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
edited December 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
In Balance of Power, it's at least theoretically possible for this to happen.

Would the devs consider putting up a prize if someone could do this and could prove that it's been done?

:edit: Changed title to draw attention to our champion - fight4thedream

Comments

• Ive yet to actually see that part of the power fire off, never had venom... Make a video! icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    With 1* Spidey able to make loads of web tiles, it should be possible!
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2015
    As soon as I find a team with a 5* I will try it! :d

Edit: Not having any luck. I will sacrifice for the cause and hang out my precious little Old Man Logan for anyone who wants to give it a shot.
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    This would require wasting a roster slot on Venom, and wasting ISO on having maxed.

Eh, to each their own I guess.
  • metallion
    metallion Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    madsalad wrote:
    This would require wasting a roster slot on Venom, and wasting ISO on having maxed.

Well technically in BOP all you need is the roster slot, since Venom gets boosted to 270 even if he was lvl 1. And you could just sell him away after the event if you don't need him, it's not like you lose the roster slot if you sell him

So in the end you don't lose anything, and you gain one roster slot. Really nothing to lose here just for some fun.
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    metallion wrote:
    madsalad wrote:

Well technically in BOP all you need is the roster slot, since Venom gets boosted to 270 even if he was lvl 1. And you could just sell him away after the event if you don't need him, it's not like you lose the roster slot if you sell him

So in the end you don't lose anything, and you gain one roster slot. Really nothing to lose here just for some fun.

Touche
  • Ding
    Ding Posts: 179
    madsalad wrote:
    metallion wrote:
    madsalad wrote:

Touche
    Thought the wasted iso referred to lost iso from not selling the venom covers.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    I haven't started BOP yet, but I'm looking forward to sending out a team of jug, 1*spidey, Venom. All max covered. Perfect for BOP. icon_twisted.gif

I don't think I ever managed to get Venom to swallow anyone whole, and I'm dying to achieve this. icon_lol.gif
  • Deegamah
    Deegamah Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    KK Bundy wrote:
    Thought the wasted iso referred to lost iso from not selling the venom covers.

If you only recruit a single venom black, when you sell the cover back you get all the iso you would have gotten selling it anyway.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    Couldn't find a 5* to Devour. Ben Grimm had to do. Technically, there's 6 web tiles on the board, but he was dead anyway.

image.png
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Greetings fellow 5* huntsmen and huntsladies,

I stand before you victorious. I must say it was quite the challenge but has made this round of BoP infinitely more enjoyable for me.

To begin my tale, I shall tell you that I did not have the villain Venom employed on my roster when the challenge was issued. I always like to save my standard tokens for BoP so I can roster a Juggernaut dupe and as fortune would have it I had 400 + tokens. I bought a new roster slot to prepare for Ghost Rider and allowed my Juggernaut dupe to join the team but I needed space to make way for this challenge's champion so I had to tell Yelena her services were not currently needed.

It took about 200 tokens to field a proper Venom (took much less to get my dupe Juggs for some reason) which was an unpleasant reminder of the RNGesus's nefarious role in the MPQ universe and sent a shudder down my spine but I quickly recuperated my spirits and set forth to find a test subject for my newly acquired champion to snack on. Like many of my fellow huntspeople, I had never actually pulled the feat off so I wanted to be certain that it was doable. An unwitting Iron Man 35 would be the first sacrifice to the dark devourer. Having confirmed that Venom could stomach a full grown man in armor at full health, I set forth with my 5* hunt team of the Original Web Master, the Sentinel of the Spaceways and the Dark Devourer to find a worthy meal for our champion. Would we face the Skyrider, the Wild and Crazy Man or the new kid on the block? I was eager to see what great challenges awaited me.

However, much to my chagrin, finding 5* prey proved to be more difficult than I had anticipated. I had to do much climbing and searching but nothing until I reached the 500s. Finally, I found someone with a 5* WCM but alas! Said person was a member of a group that I have a peace treaty with. I did some more poking around to see if I could find anyone else but it looked like it would only be them. For awhile I contemplated how to broach the matter, and finally came up with this :

"You have a 5* that I wish to devour. Hopefully we can come to some sort of arrangement. I am willing to retreat to you after accomplishing the deed but I would prefer not to. Name your terms and let's see if we can't come to some sort of agreement."

Yes, this is how I would say it, strong yet polite and at the worst I would have to forfeit the match in order to gain greater glory. But not one wanting to forfeit superfluously, I decide to take a gander on the battlefield one last time before bringing up the matter.

Ah ha! Lo and behold an enemy worthy of my venture and with whom I had no ties to deny me greater glory. The moment was at hand! His team featured that Wily 5* Logan, that pestering psychic Jean Grey and......CARNAGE!!! What better foe for my hungering champion and his web-headed companion! His Wily Old Man was at 7 covers 3/1/3 and my Silver Sentinel was at 8 3/4/1, a roughly even match up!!

1448043519792_zpsoeteozfw.png

I decided to forgo boosts and TUs as I wanted to see if such a matching was on equal terms but alas Carnage's infernal attack tiles coupled with Logan's strike tiles proved to be too much for my young hit squad. The Surfer was the first to fall, then Spidey, and finally our champion Venom. I was able to down Carnage before my defeat but Jean and her old ally stood victorious.

I cursed myself for not going in better prepared and raced through the battlefield determined to try again. But look as I may I could only find allies and those who did not meet the requirement of the challenge. Finally, I ran across another rogue sporting a 5* Wild Old man with a lesser build and an OG Spidey which would make for easy pickings and although the cry for vengeance pierced my mind's ears I decided to not look a gift horse in the mouth and proceeded to make short work of the meal.

1448043556374_zpsvlsrybsu.png

Yes, victory was mine but it felt hollow and empty, and our dark champion was not satisfied.

"We want the one who rides with Carnage"

And with those words, I knew the adventure had yet to be complete. So again we set forth in search of our nefarious foe and after a good deal of tracking we managed to find him resting in his lair. Having a better understanding of the danger that lay ahead, I equipped my team with some pink/blue and black/green boosts along with a Jean Grey Green TU. The board opened and there was a pink 5 match waiting for me, and not concerning myself with Jean's pestering power since my Skyrider is no fool for such tricks I took the match greedily. But luck was not with me my friends, as the proceeding enemy match produced a few cascades that sealed my defeat.

Ejected from our enemy's stronghold, doubts began to spring forth in my mind but our champion and his companions reassured me that it was possible and that I just had to be sure to place our dark devourer at the end and allow the Surfer and the Spider-man to take the hits until he was ready to feast. The wall crawler also suggested that we bring along his old frosty friend as a TU instead of using the black/green boost and I acquiesced.

With preparations complete, we charged our enemy's strong hold yet again and with great strength and resilience we were able to down our nemesis Carnage and make preparations for Venom's meal. With Carnage fallen, Spidey and the Skyrider proceeded to pummel Jean Grey to try and prevent her from unleashing her full power while the Old Man looked on disinterested as if we were beneath him. Just as Jean finally gathered enough strength to launch an attack upon us, the Webslinger sprung into action trapping her and Logan in his magnificent web and making just enough web tiles for the ceremony to be complete.

1448043595387_zps3yatnfql.png

I shall never forget the look of surprise and horror that the Old Man had on his face as Venom proceeded to ingest him.

But victory was not yet complete as we still had the mind wiper left to deal with. We whittled down her health a bit more before calling forth Spidey's amazing friend Iceman to finish the job and with that it was finally over.

Well I hope my little tale entertained you, if not I hoped you did not bother to read through the whole thing. Curiously enough, I did not encounter anyone else sporting a Surfer during the event which I think speaks volumes, but me and my 5* hit squad owe him a great debt. We wouldn't have been able to accomplish the feat without him generously taking the brunt of the damage.

That's all for now, I will continue to scavenge the battlefield for other 5*s to feed our champion so for those out there running with someone in the highest tier beware: fight4thedream's dark devourer demands to be fed!
  • Great story fight4thedream icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    fight4thedream...

The man, the legend...
    He who has devoured.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Success is its own reward, and all that, but I think this feat deserves something.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    I started BOP today, and managed to pull off Venom's instant kill twice tonight. Boy, having 1* Spidey to use as a 270 is key to ensuring that he stays alive long enough to flood the board w/ webbed tiles. First time I managed to pull off the instant kill, and I've been playing for over a year and a half. icon_lol.gif
  • ZommyGD
    ZommyGD Posts: 79 Match Maker
    Congrats fight4thedream!
    I feel like recruiting one Venom for next BOP or Combined Army!
  • uberhamster
    uberhamster Posts: 96 Match Maker
    Eating OML didn't end well for the Hulk! icon_e_confused.gif
  • Eating OML didn't end well for the Hulk! icon_e_confused.gif
    nothing really ends well for the hulk
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    We need a Hall of Fame sub-forum.. toss this in there w/ the build yourself a bagman thread and some others..
  • ragnarady
    ragnarady Posts: 70 Match Maker
    A little offtop: I wish D3 made some more WORTHY achievements (or separate "challenges") than they have already made, even if it wouldn't give anything in return to players, i.e.: "Devour a 5*", "Headbutt a 4*", "Last Resort" (match is finished with no man alive in both teams), "Peaceful Warrior" (win a match without using any abilities), "At the Limit" (win a match with 1 character alive and 1 hp left), "One Man Army" (win a match using single character abilities), "Defeat X using Y" (thematic fight like Daredevil vs Kingpin or PX vs Magneto), "Family Business" (Win a match using Wolverine/Daken/X23 or Magneto/SW/QS) and so on.