Hope for those struggling in PVP [Share your triumphs]

Malcrof
Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
edited January 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
So, this is some of my story... i see quite a few threads and posts about how much trouble some have in PVP.. i used to be one of them.. see for yourself: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=30912 (that thread has loads of good info btw)

I was desperate to hit 1k.. had never heard of Line, didn't know much about shield hops, 4* transition was stalled to a pace where i thought i would max out every 3* before i ever finished a 4*.. i thought a 4* transition would be impossible for me....

Then with help from people on and off the forum, i got my first 1k.. and after a month, i was able to do it using only 1 shield.. 2 months of getting 1k's, and finally finishing my first 2 4*s, i started to hunger to progress further.. to that mystical 1300..

So, it seemed i needed some more help.. no, this will not be a how to guide, just a little hope for those who struggled like i did.. once the ball gets rolling , momentum picks up.. that 4* transition you never thought would happen.. does happen.. and then starts happening faster and faster...

To anyone feeling bleak about how many 4*s are being released, how much CP you aren't able to get, or how hard it seems to ever hit that 1k.. remember, we all started with 3* teams when we got it for the first time, even the first 10 times...

So don't give up on it, i finally got my first 1300 this past season.. then my first 1400, then... this happened:
QhBlmFy.jpg

SO big shouts out to those who helped me this past season (you know who you are) ... in just a couple months, i went from frustrated beyond belief .. to finishing #58 in a pvp season (personal best). My next goal, t50!

Share your triumphant stories!
Keep things positive in here!

If you need help, head over to the help forum here: viewforum.php?f=33
and post your questions, we can all help each other!

Comments

• OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    What do those hexagons mean next your names? I keep seeing them and wondering what it is?
  • Malcrof
    What do those hexagons mean next your names? I keep seeing them and wondering what it is?

Means shielded.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    cupcakes
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:

Means shielded.

Thanks, that's been bugging me for weeks.

It's not quite the same level of achievement but I managed to hit 800 for the first time using no shields with my paltry early transition 3* roster last week - all I did was not enter until 2 hours to go and then attacked everyone I could until I hit 800 finished on 812 just as the timer stopped. Was it luck? or lack of competition? Was it my late arrival? I dunno, but it was pretty good using the loaner and CStorm MNMags to finish above 800. icon_lol.gif
  • apexpredator85
    apexpredator85 Posts: 22 Just Dropped In
    Congratulations. That gives hope to a guy like myself. I'm trying to transition into 4 star land without dropping loads of $$. The PVE is helping alot with the Legendary tokens. PvP is hit and miss currently though.
  • Nice. I've hit 1k twice this season so hoping to kick on from that next, but with only 8 fully levelled 3*s it still is very dependent on the weekly buffs.

I definitely feel like progress is being made though, my 4* pulls are on the up and my roster is starting to get peppered with 5-6 cover 4*s. Prof X 3/1/2 is already proving a MASSIVE help.

I think I'm in need of about 10 3* covers to be fully covered now. Unfortunately 3 of those are red cap, which needs to change ASAP

Bring on season XXI!
  • T-rom12
    T-rom12 Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
    I'm still early in my 3* transition (I have all 3*, but only a handful sitting at ~lvl 102), so PVP isn't really my forte yet.

That said, a few weeks ago, during the Bullseye PVP, I had my best experience ever. Up until then, my highest score was about 400, but I never finished a PVP event above 350 (I never shield). Anyway, during the Bullseye event, I managed to crawl up to 787 pts, and was oh so close to getting the 800 pt reward.

I queued up an easy target for about 30 pts, but after I finished, I ended up hit for about 45. Then I queued up another battle to get me back to 800, but again, was hit for more than I earned. I ended up losing almost 150 points before I just ran out of health packs.

Normally, one would be mad at this (and for a few moments, I was), but I also couldn't be more proud of myself. I had literally more than doubled my previous peak high score and I even ended up above 600 at the end of the PVP. More importantly, that event (plus all the rest) really helped propel me further into PVP land. I earned my very first Heroic 10-pack for the season (which was amazing by the way - 8 usable 3* tokens!).

While I'm still not quite at where most forumites are in terms of PVP, I know that I am progressing and it really is quite a morale boost. Now my goal is to finally break 800 in the next viable event (still have to pick and choose my events)
  • xequalsy
    xequalsy Posts: 231
    This is the first season I've managed to hit 1k every single event, and I even managed to hit 1.3k twice! I still have no usable 4* (I have max covered IW that I'm discounting for this purpose icon_razz.gif), so keep practising those with only 3* rosters! I usually use 3 shields (3/8/3), but that's only to play super safe - I hate coming out of a hop to see -100s so I'd much rather spend more hp. But as my confidence grows I think I might be able to cut down to 1/2 shields per 1k.

My IF is still unusable 5/4/3, so it's definitely possible - find a good combination involving the boosted character(s) and you're set!
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yesterday was the first time I put up a cupcake team. I have found them on occassion on my climb to 1300, and now a good opportunity presented itself to put one up after passing 1300. Got quite a lot of hits after I put up my last shield, so I hope people enjoyed the point injection!
  • Malcrof
    Just an FYI for future reference, most in game icons, you can find out their meanings in the smilies list here : posting.php?mode=smilies&f=7

For Instance
    shieldgrey.png
    icon_nobody.png
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have not seen a single "cupcake" team in my climbs to 1k. I still struggle a lot to do it and I should be in the 4* transition (I have all 3* coverd in the way I want... maybe I will respec one or two but unlikely). Unfortunately I can't use my 4* yet. The best is Hulkbuster with 4-4-2 so close but not yet what it should be.

I hope to get to 1k more frequently next season (in XX I did it 2 or 3 times for covers I was desperate - I am willing to spend for Prof X but not Star Lord).

Since I already have 5* I don't use (or level) in the lineup I am considering bringing up Hulkbuster as high as I can (have him at 182 now). Would that ruin my scaling?

Back to the original post - it's not optimistic for me as I refuse to use line to coordinate attacks and hops. I just think it doesn't suit my game style icon_e_sad.gif
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    A couple seasons ago, I leveled up a chunk of my roster to 120, then spent a while floating there while increasing the my roster options at that level. At the end of the Season (XVIII, I think), I hit the 800 progression for the first time, and felt like I was figuring things out.

Then we went through the two short seasons, and I failed to hit 800 even once more (some of that was time-related, but not nearly all). Very frustrating, all the way around.

Then, this season, with a more up-leveled roster (several 166s, and a couple that got bumped to 180 soon thereafter), I hit 800 the first two or three events in a row, getting as high as 991 in two of those (man, did that suck. In one of those, I lost almost 400 points in the last five minutes of the event). Then I closed out the season hitting 1k in every event, hit 2k on the simulator (previous high was just over 1600), and finished the season at an even 200th. I also managed top-10 in every PvE along the way, including the first time I'd even done top-20 in a release event.

Next goals, 1300 and top-100 on season.
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Magic wrote:
    I have not seen a single "cupcake" team in my climbs to 1k. I still struggle a lot to do it and I should be in the 4* transition (I have all 3* coverd in the way I want... maybe I will respec one or two but unlikely). Unfortunately I can't use my 4* yet. The best is Hulkbuster with 4-4-2 so close but not yet what it should be.

I hope to get to 1k more frequently next season (in XX I did it 2 or 3 times for covers I was desperate - I am willing to spend for Prof X but not Star Lord).

Since I already have 5* I don't use (or level) in the lineup I am considering bringing up Hulkbuster as high as I can (have him at 182 now). Would that ruin my scaling?

Back to the original post - it's not optimistic for me as I refuse to use line to coordinate attacks and hops. I just think it doesn't suit my game style icon_e_sad.gif

LINE, admittedly, isn't for everyone but my friendly 2 cents is to try it before deciding it isn't your thing. I, too, was very skeptical when first invited to join a battlechat but it has made PvP far more enjoyable for me. Even if it turns out you don't like it after all, at least you will have a much better idea of what it is you're fighting against. And remember:

5517214226ALx1.jpg
  • I had been working on fully covering my 3* and leveling them to 120-130 for the past couple of seasons and rarely played PVP past the 650 token. The only 4* that I was missing was Prof X. When I saw him come up as the 1000 point reward in the cMags PVP, I decided to level cMags, Ironfist and Luke Cage to 166 and go for it. I managed to hit 1000 using 1 shield in each of the events to end the season. In the final event of the season, I managed 1300 using a natural level 130 Gamora (227 when boosted, I think) and unboosted Cage/Fist and I only used 2 shields to do it.

Huge h/t to the Medusa's Lair PVP alliance for the advice, as well as to all those who gave strategic advice in the recent forum threads (Malcrof's included) on how to progress in PVP.

Ramble.
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    3 seasons ago I was struggling to get 800 consistently. 100% dependent on buffs.

Getting all my 3* to level 140 range made 800 a joke to get and 1000 was the new hurdle.

1 season ago, I could get 1k here and there depending on buffs.

Season 20, I reached 1k in every event. Last 2 events I broke 1300 and 1500 respectively. Came in at rank 53 for the season. I usually come in at Rank 200ish.

The 3*-4* transition is kind of slow, but not really bad at all. I can feel the progression and it's rewarding.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    me and mal are at similar stages of the game and I agree. it gets easier the further you get. momentum grows with your roster. I haven't scored anything crazy like mal posted (my highest is 1400) but I've had my first week of 3X1300 and with some strong pve play and season end, I was hp neutral this week. last 2 1300s were 3/8/3/8 and 3/8/3. so its high performance and sustainable. key for me lately have been cupcakes - get above 1K and search while shielded every so often to get the best group of queues you can find and you'll come across them eventually - and I'm not a line user. no battle chat. no coordination. just a player playing pvp.
  • i've been hitting 1k regularly for a while, but then i switched slices, did some more coordination with other alliances and players (and with a good pairing of boosted characters) put up some nice numbers. patch pvp i finished my first time over 2k with the help of others, while also helping others in return.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Last few seasons, I literally just hit 1k and called it a day. Season XX, I went up a bit more and regularly made it to 1300 each PvP. There seems to have been a bit of improvement for numerous people. Though getting a fully covered Hulkbuster, which was sitting at 220 for a while, has been the biggest help in reaching those scores regularly.
  • SnagglePuss
    SnagglePuss Posts: 702 Critical Contributor
    Held my roster back for a long time, lvled them during the anniversary event. First full season with them and hit 1k every event. Some events were a little more difficult than others but doable. I can get to 1k with 0 - 2 shields but have to use one at the end to maintain score..
    The key is which slice and when you play.

As for cupcakes, you won't really see them until you are 900+ so they won't really help on the way to 1k until right at the end.
    I've had chances to hit 1.3k a few times but lack of planning (shields) and not getting to the aforementioned sweet spot.

Gotta ask though hitting 1k on 1/2 shields is fine, but how much in shields are people sinking to get the higher scores!
  • LINE, admittedly, isn't for everyone but my friendly 2 cents is to try it before deciding it isn't your thing. I, too, was very skeptical when first invited to join a battlechat but it has made PvP far more enjoyable for me. Even if it turns out you don't like it after all, at least you will have a much better idea of what it is you're fighting against.

How the hell do you do this? Every time I ask about it, it's like some super secret club that no one is willing to invite me in to.