Managing the roster

Options
byc
byc Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
edited August 2016 in Roster and Level Help
Question for the vets out there.

I started around July 2015, and I feel like I'm doing well. I've made some mistakes on transitioning from 2 to 3 because I didn't really bother looking up info (like selling OBW fully leveled because I needed space even though I felt like she was really good, and I didn't like Ares for the longest time). I have enough 3's where I can make deeper runs into PvP and PvE and actually score the big prizes.

I have 41 roster spots. I have 1300 hero points stored up (it's been a good two to three weeks). I'm trying to figure out if I want to use my hero points to get more roster spaces or horde them further.

My actual question is should I sell 4* covers to make more room (both because I dislike the character and/or the character is weak) or should I just spend the hero points and buy more roster spots. I am up to 550 hero points per spot now, so buying more slots are progressively more expensive, and I'm not getting enough hero points on a regular basis to meet demand. I generally get only the 25 for a PvP event, sometimes 50.

My 4's.

Hulkbuster 4 covers.
Jean Grey 3 covers.
Kingpin 3 covers.
Professor X 2 covers.
X-Force Wolverine 2 covers.
Carnage 1 red cover.
Red Hulk 1 purple cover.
Thing 1 green cover.

Carnage is the one I am most likely to cut, unless he's really good, and I should keep him even if I hate the character. Red Hulk isn't a favorite either, but that purple is great against certain PvE matches. I like Thing. I assume the others I should keep just because they have more than 1 cover. Although I'm not really keen on X-Force, but there are still some free covers coming (I think. I'm at 170 days).

Thoughts, advice, criticism? I've looked at many threads, but I can't seem to find the answers that I'm looking for.

Comments

• Killinstinct
    Killinstinct Posts: 99 Match Maker
    Options
    I wouldnt hoard Hp if that means you have to sell covers (doesnt matter if you buy now or later right).

Also wouldnt sell 4*, but then again i never had to face that decision
  • Arhiippa
    Arhiippa Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    Options
    You should definitely use your HP for roster slots, since that's going to be the most important use for them for quite some time. I would only sell those 4* for a very good reason, but it's hard to say anything specific without seeing your roster. You should put your roster on gamependium, so it's easy to reference to in the future if you have more questions. I'm still going through my 3* transition, so I'm not much of a veteran, but these are my 2 cents.
  • byc
    Options
    Arhiippa wrote:
    You should definitely use your HP for roster slots, since that's going to be the most important use for them for quite some time. I would only sell those 4* for a very good reason, but it's hard to say anything specific without seeing your roster. You should put your roster on gamependium, so it's easy to reference to in the future if you have more questions. I'm still going through my 3* transition, so I'm not much of a veteran, but these are my 2 cents.

I guess HPs are only useful for that still. I definitely thought that 1250 for an upgrade to an existing cover was already too much. I've sold 4* before, so I guess I'll try and stop doing that.

Just a week ago I sold Iceman because I was so pissed off on how stupid he looks, and I figured I would never get him up to a decent state. So I have enough room 2 for 2 new spots, with 1 floating for a 2* for events.

I have these waiting in the queue.

2 Ant-Man (he's getting kept, so I really only have 1 slot available. Plus I haven't done Growth Industry yet)
    1 Thor Goddess red

1 Thor 3* yellow
    1 Colossus yellow
    1 Cyclops 3* black
    2 Spider-Man
    2 Squirrel Girl (I've sold her in the past, but I have 2 cover queued, so maybe I keep this time?)

I have only 5 days left to decide on Goddess Thor, but I guess I'll be spending the HP for 2 more slots.

http://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/byc/
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I would personally make sure I get antman, 4thor, Cyclops and 3thor on my roster. even if that meant selling 2cap, ragnarok or sentry. to me the others are optional/preference. all 4*s are keepers (make your own decisions on starlord and IW) and cyc is t5 of the 3*s and thor is t10.
  • byc
    Options
    Thanks for the help. I picked up 4Thor.

I'm at 500 HP, and the Cylops and 3Thor are getting close. Only about 4 days left. I should be able to get to 550 to get one, and then sell the 2Cap for the other. However, I also have a black Loki that I've acquired since then. I can probably only get the 2 of the 3, so what's the priority? All of them only have 1 cover each.

I've sold all of their covers before in the past. I actually like Cyclops a lot, but I figured I wasn't going to be able to level him anytime soon, so I sold a yellow cover a few weeks ago. I had to use one of my roster spots for a black Silver Surfer. Since then I've realized I need to stop redeeming Legendaries because I might not have the slots to get the cover.

So which one do I sell?

Black Cyclops
    Yellow 3Thor
    Black Loki
  • TxMoose
    Options
    personally I'd keep all 3 over daredevil, punisher or storm. I know you've put some iso into some of those, but cyke is consensus t2-3 of the 3*s, loki is one of the 2 best support characters in the game, and thor is a staple t10-15 of the 3*s. ddevil, pun, and storm are ok characters, but none are must keep, especially at the expense of Cyclops/Lthor/loki.

edit: as I said earlier, rags and sentry and both considered pretty poor as well, even though you have put more iso into them. personally I'd sell pun. rags and sentry might be next if it were up to me.
  • byc
    Options
    Storm or Punisher makes more sense. Punisher really doesn't bring anything to the table other than Retribution looks cool as ****. Is 166 Storm just as useless as 50 Storm scaled relatively speaking? I have Human Torch and Doom, so I figured my attack tile characters are basically set.

I want to hold on to Rags and Sentry longer. I really put way too much resources into them than I should have, and I don't want to abandon them yet.

If I really had to, I'll drop the 2Cap. I realized at some point that Hood + Cap would be good due to Intimidation. I'm sure others have tried it, but I'd like to test it out before I really try for 3Cap.
  • TxMoose
    Options
    note that punisher red can really come in handy for big boss opponents like ultron. I know he was on many high performing teams for ultron. his ability to one-shot anyone from 40% health, no matter what that health is - can be very useful. I've never used it and don't use pun much at all, but I know others use that red.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I like to pair Punisher with patch in wave battles. His black is super cheap, and with berserker's tiles out can wreck some face.
  • byc
    Options
    I've been saving up tokens and not opening them recently until I have enough hero points to claim the cover. I am still opening Recruit packs, so I've gotten a few 3* that I don't have hero points quite yet.

All are 7 days to expire, and I'm at 350 HP right now, needing 600 to get a cover.

My 3 3* covers currently in queue:

3* Bullseye green
    Doctor Octopus blue
    3* Spider-Man yellow

I expect to be able to get enough HP to get to 600 and one of these. I'm leaning to Bullseye, but looking at the powers, Doc Ock or Spider-Man is probably better.
  • TxMoose
    Options
    personally I'd keep bullseye. I've never been a fan of spidey, but they may redo him one day and dr ock is a very situational character. great in specific spots, but if you're up against, a non-spectial tile team (say like a popular 2* ddq team thor/2mags/2storm), he's pretty useless. if bullseye can make the first kill in the match (with match damage or an ability) he drops a crapload of strike tiles. even better in a wave node. he's one I don't play with much, but when I do, he's fun.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Doc Oc is very good in narrow situations: lots of enemy attack/protect/strike tiles. He can be good in good fights if you boost his black to 4 covers, as he generates 2 attack tiles for every countdown you match away. Outside of that, he's very slow.

Bullseye is a pretty quirky character that can become a monster if he gets going. The ability to remove up to two enemy special tiles and deal damage is good, and if you can manipulate things so he gets in the kill shot, he'll spew a ton of strike tiles for you. He needs someone to set him up with special tiles, or his purple will be a dead ability, but it's pretty easy to get at least one out on the board.

The best I can say about Spiderman is that his purple and blue can help slow down the enemy while the rest of your team gets set up. He will be the featured cover in DDQ on 12/28, about two weeks ahead of Bullseye and three ahead of Doc Oc.

In the long run, I'd pick Bullseye over the others, as he is the most fun to play.
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I agree with the others. Bullseye is the pick for me. I have so much fun playing him that he is actually on my short list of 3*s I want to still fully level on my roster. Doc and Spidey are both decent when boosted but if none of boosted, I'll take Bullseye any day.
  • byc
    Options
    I got a nice 1000 HP boost from Naughty or Nice. I use 600 from my total HP to get Bullseye. I sell all my other covers, including the Spider-Man and Doc Ock since I don't have a lot of interest in them. I have 925 HP left, and I decide to finally open some of my tokens. I have about 20 non-Taco non-Standard non-Heroic tokens, and 169 command points. I have a 10-pack Heroic from last season, 44 Sweet, and 68 Savory as well. I started hoarding since I realized if I open everything, I won't have the HP to keep the ones I really want and need if they are new.

So I decide to open some Legendaries.

Ant-Man purple
    Hulkbuster black
    Iceman green
    Old Man Logan yellow
    Old Man Logan black

I talked myself into opening the 5th Legendary after I got one Old Man Logan, hoping to get a 4* that I already have. Instead, I got another OML. So I have OML x2 and Iceman in queue, and I stop opening packs.

I know there's a scaling in the game, but I don't know how it's calculated. Does it matter? I suppose I should just get the OML x2 and if the game screws me, I sell them.
  • byc
    Options
    New problem. I have 3 days left to get 400 more HPs to get Mr Fantastic yellow. I am unlikely to be able to do that since I'll be very busy doing other things this weekend.

Who do I drop for him? Or I just sell him?

I was thinking maybe I sell Elektra? Or do I sell one of my low 3*?
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    byc wrote:
    New problem. I have 3 days left to get 400 more HPs to get Mr Fantastic yellow. I am unlikely to be able to do that since I'll be very busy doing other things this weekend.

Who do I drop for him? Or I just sell him?

I was thinking maybe I sell Elektra? Or do I sell one of my low 3*?
    I normalläge recommend not selling anyone, but if you just don't have the room it's probably best to sell whoever is easier to replace, in this case a 3-star. Psylocke is probably the least useful of the unleveled 3-stars.
  • byc
    Options
    These are the characters that I have enough covers to champion right now:

Daredevil
    The Hood
    Rocket & Groot
    She-Hulk
    Black Widow (GS) - 3 covers
    Dr Doom

GSBW I can get to 166 using 1 cover, and then use the other 2 to champion. Others I can only champion once. I have enough Iso-8 crystals to champion only one character right now. Should I champion a character, or should I level up all of my roster equally and just sell the covers until I can champion them at a later date?

If I want the legendary token immediately, I have to do GSBW, but is she good enough to do it? Or should I just do Doom, She-Hulk, or Hood for the overall usefulness?
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I love GSBW, and sniper Rifle with 5 green is a joy, but she needs an accelerator to get it up and running, like Scarlet Witch or 3*Thor, without them she won't be as much use to you.

She was my second 166 character after Thor and it was glorious!
  • TxMoose
    Options
    and later, when you get px to 5 blue, a champed gsbw becomes critical. I've run gs with hood and panther, but it takes some time to get going. she is a cascade machine once up and running though. I didn't max gs until I had px at 5 blue. she's fragile, slow, and very powerful.
  • byc
    Options
    I have 2 3* covers about to expire, so I need to use them or lose them. Who do I champion? Gamora or Human Torch?