How the tinykitty am I supposed to build a 2* roster?

Options
Unknown
edited February 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
I'm on day 21 and currently do not feel like my chances of advancing my 1* roster to a 2* roster in a reasonable time frame are very good. I have a 7 cover C. Storm, a 5 cover Thor, a 3 cover OBW, and a 2 cover Astonishing Wolvie.

On the other hand I have amassed 14 3 or 4* covers. If I could trade half of these 3* covers in for 2* I would in a heartbeat.

Comments

• Be patient....took me over 90 days to really get a decent line up going. Focus on building your 1 stars and the storyline...then build up slowly from there. this isn't a sprint for most players unless you are loaded with cash icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • If you have a 1* team your MMR is probably very low. You can be participating in PVP tournaments and probably be placing in top 75 or higher, thus getting lots of 2* covers or maybe even some 3*.

PVE events as well give out lots of tokens, plus special tokens at certain progression levels.

You could possibly get top 100 in LRs for a heroic token or better. playing 2 matches in LRs will get you a standard token as well.
  • I spent money to get over the hump, but if you just keep pounding in PVP and PVE events, you may start building a crew.
  • If you ever plan to spend money on covers, the best time to do so is early on when you will be able to use everything you get. Roster slots too of course.
  • Puritas
    Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Stop placing for *** covers in events then icon_razz.gif
  • Shoot for the 46-75 spots in tournament reward brackets. Simplest answer, and not unattainable with a decent 1* team (Modern Storm / Iron Man 35 / Modern Widow).
  • Puritas
    Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Kamahl-FoK wrote:
    Shoot for the 46-75 spots in tournament reward brackets. Simplest answer, and not unattainable with a decent 1* team (Modern Storm / Iron Man 35 / Modern Widow).

well with the game is set up atm, placing top 45 is effortless, which is probably why he has so many *** covers ;P
  • Puritas wrote:
    Kamahl-FoK wrote:
    Shoot for the 46-75 spots in tournament reward brackets. Simplest answer, and not unattainable with a decent 1* team (Modern Storm / Iron Man 35 / Modern Widow).

well with the game is set up atm, placing top 45 is effortless, which is probably why he has so many *** covers ;P

I figured as much, given the rosters of top players as of late. Although to be fair, it's more based on performance against people relative to your own skill level, until you fly too close to the sun and get obliterated for one tournament... or one lightning round.
  • It's funny how many rosters I see now where they have 6 1 star characters, 1 2 star character and 4-5 3 star characters.

I've said it 100 times now, but they need to rejigger the SHIELD tournament reward structure to be a way to provide mid-level players more opportunities for 2 star covers.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Start by getting all the covers and tokens from the prologue. There are three astonishing wolverine covers In the prologue for example.

then place worse in tournaments as has been suggested. It used to be harder for a new player to finish top 50, so you generally got more 2* covers.
  • If you can get 3-stars, don't see why you couldn't get 2-stars. Just aim lower with placement. Wait for certain PVE events where they tend to hand em out like candy.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bonerang wrote:
    I'm on day 21 and currently do not feel like my chances of advancing my 1* roster to a 2* roster in a reasonable time frame are very good. I have a 7 cover C. Storm, a 5 cover Thor, a 3 cover OBW, and a 2 cover Astonishing Wolvie.

On the other hand I have amassed 14 3 or 4* covers. If I could trade half of these 3* covers in for 2* I would in a heartbeat.

Seems like you're overachieving when you should be underachieving: if there is a particular 2* cover that you need like Thor for a tournaments placement awards, go for the 2* cover! Don't get another 3* cover that you cant use yet.
  • bonerang wrote:

Seems like you're overachieving when you should be underachieving: if there is a particular 2* cover that you need like Thor for a tournaments placement awards, go for the 2* cover! Don't get another 3* cover that you cant use yet.

Unfortunately, C. Storm and Thor have not been offered as placement rewards in recent PvE or PvP it has been all kinds of Daken and Cap.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bonerang wrote:
    bonerang wrote:

Unfortunately, C. Storm and Thor have not been offered as placement rewards in recent PvE or PvP it has been all kinds of Daken and Cap.

Thor was been offered ~2 weeks ago, but you are right about Daken/Moonstone being offered in the PvP events. They are buffed in the PvE event right now though, so you could use those covers to earn more covers in the current event.
  • Got top 100 in Rag LR's that no one cares about and got a GSBW and C. Mag. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • bonerang wrote:
    Got top 100 in Rag LR's that no one cares about and got a GSBW and C. Mag. icon_rolleyes.gif

Congrats! I was laughing my **** off, threw in a tank team of 15 rags, 18 doom and 15 gsbw once I hit 50 pts. I won enough through defense to get to 100 and get the extra iso. That made my night.
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Toxicadam wrote:
    It's funny how many rosters I see now where they have 6 1 star characters, 1 2 star character and 4-5 3 star characters.

I've said it 100 times now, but they need to rejigger the SHIELD tournament reward structure to be a way to provide mid-level players more opportunities for 2 star covers.
    Yup, agree with this. I'm in a ** limbo
  • Sounds like B4C0N had a go.

@bonerang: echoing others, if you're placing 45 or higher and getting covers you have no immediate use for, maybe try placing 46?

Actually, aim to place about 60. If you want the 3x2* reward, you ought to aim to have a bit of a buffer before accidentally going up to the 1x3* booby prize, as other people getting knocked down and defense wins can move your ranking up without you doing anything. If you're not getting attacked enough unshielded to drop you to where you want, just retreat a few matches to drop your rating.

Also do all LRs to 100 you can (or even 50 if that's too much trouble). Don't knock easy free standard tokens: usually they're ISO, occasionally they're something you can use.

Some covers you'll probably always be short on - you just have to cough up the cash or live without them. Loads of people seem to be using leveled 3* rosters by the time they get MNMags, and I still have a low-capped C.Storm who stuns worse than Captain America.
  • Veracity wrote:
    Sounds like B4C0N had a go.

@bonerang: echoing others, if you're placing 45 or higher and getting covers you have no immediate use for, maybe try placing 46?

Actually, aim to place about 60. If you want the 3x2* reward, you ought to aim to have a bit of a buffer before accidentally going up to the 1x3* booby prize, as other people getting knocked down and defense wins can move your ranking up without you doing anything. If you're not getting attacked enough unshielded to drop you to where you want, just retreat a few matches to drop your rating.

Also do all LRs to 100 you can (or even 50 if that's too much trouble). Don't knock easy free standard tokens: usually they're ISO, occasionally they're something you can use.

Some covers you'll probably always be short on - you just have to cough up the cash or live without them. Loads of people seem to be using leveled 3* rosters by the time they get MNMags, and I still have a low-capped C.Storm who stuns worse than Captain America.

Yeah, I'm just kind of finding it ridiculous that I'm getting more 3* covers than 2* from standard and heroic tokens. Though, I'm sure this is the kind of problem most of you guys would love to have.
  • NighteyesGrisu
    NighteyesGrisu Posts: 563 Critical Contributor
    Options
    bonerang wrote:
    Got top 100 in Rag LR's that no one cares about and got a GSBW and C. Mag. icon_rolleyes.gif

Congrats! I was laughing my **** off, threw in a tank team of 15 rags, 18 doom and 15 gsbw once I hit 50 pts. I won enough through defense to get to 100 and get the extra iso. That made my night.

I wondered what was going on..I originally intende to compete for a *** token, but in the ended up making the top 2 more or less effortlessly (didn't even play the final 15 mins). wth?