Are Command Points worth it?

westnyy2
westnyy2 Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
edited November 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
At first I was excited like many of you. CP's offer a way to but 5 star covers. It's the final implementation I'm discouraged by.

I've had my fair share of CP's thanks to teammates and their purchases and have even pulled a couple of SS with them. But now what? The initial newness wears off, my alliance cuts back spending and I am left with what? I get a couple per sub from PVE with luck, and 1 or 2 with each event in PVP. The points will add up but what good are they? I have another legend token which gives me a chance at one of the few 4 stars I need covers for. It's just not that exciting.

Here is what I propose. Keep everything as is and add a way to buy a specific 4 star cover with CP's too. I was really hoping that selling 4* would also give us points but IceIX said it couldn't be done. I'm hoping more can be done with these since otherwise we would go back to SnowCatt's post the 4* transition. A few more tokens doesn't further my progress much.

I applaud the idea, let's just take it a little further.

Comments

• The only complaint I would say is they should keep the 1 reward from DDQ. Seemed a little silly to remove that.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    command points are 'worth' roughly 50hp. unless they make the specific purchase less than 50cp, not really worth it unless you have cp and not hp. of course that would help those later in their transitions, even if they charged 50 cp. it would give an alternative to hp purchases. now that I talked that through, I doubt they'd do that, but I would certainly endorse it.

I will chase them when I can but will not 'pull out all the stops' for them. I gotta get much closer to finishing my 4* transition before I can start worrying about hoarding for a 5* cover. that is a couple of months down the line at least. maybe January/February I might be starting to focus on 5*s more (at the rate I'm currently going)
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    A fix: Buying a legendary pack (why is it called a pack?!) with 25cp gives you a blank cover for a random character. Example 25cp cashed in gives me a Jean Grey with no colour specification so that I can theoretically be applied to my existing Jean but I can choose which colour to apply it to.

Better right?

EDIT: But NOT for 5* characters
  • westnyy2
    westnyy2 Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
    @OneLastGambit

That's a fine solution if they could do it.
  • wirius
    wirius Posts: 667
    I posted an almost identical topic the day they came out predicting this would happen once the newness wore off.

I believe a good compromise was to be able to buy a token for 25CP, and a specific 4* cover for 50CP.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I mean, it's a thing you get now that you weren't getting before, and it doesn't cost you anything extra. So any value greater than zero is "worth it."
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    westnyy2 wrote:
    At first I was excited like many of you. CP's offer a way to but 5 star covers. It's the final implementation I'm discouraged by.

I've had my fair share of CP's thanks to teammates and their purchases and have even pulled a couple of SS with them. But now what? The initial newness wears off, my alliance cuts back spending and I am left with what? I get a couple per sub from PVE with luck, and 1 or 2 with each event in PVP. The points will add up but what good are they? I have another legend token which gives me a chance at one of the few 4 stars I need covers for. It's just not that exciting.

Here is what I propose. Keep everything as is and add a way to buy a specific 4 star cover with CP's too. I was really hoping that selling 4* would also give us points but IceIX said it couldn't be done. I'm hoping more can be done with these since otherwise we would go back to SnowCatt's post the 4* transition. A few more tokens doesn't further my progress much.

I applaud the idea, let's just take it a little further.

thought he said it could not be done AT THIS TIME, since it was messing up another feature that is coming. Maybe once they get that feature out. Really though the entire game is getting wore out for me.. its the 1 year BLAHS
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    CP would have been interesting if you could have switch a resource you already have and don't need (dupe covers) into a resource you could use (Legendary Tokens).

I ran them this week since it was Cage buffed and I didn't have to use health packs over and over. But after this week I'll pretty much ignore CP - I'm not paying to get it, I'm not grinding PVE for it. I'll get the occasional from daily drop and T50's and forget about it there.

Maybe if they make the PVE nodes not drop 20 before your real rewards and re-insert it into DDQ I'll think about CP a bit again.
  • Wolarsen
    Wolarsen Posts: 326 Mover and Shaker
    CP can be used to raise owned 5*, right? How many CP does it cost a 5* upgrade?
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wolarsen wrote:
    CP can be used to raise owned 5*, right? How many CP does it cost a 5* upgrade?

720cp
  • Instead of seeing them as the new shiny you need to chase (I was guilty of this too...), and judging your game experience entirely on how achievable that is, see them as what they are; a way to get a bonus Legendary Token once every X days.

You haven't lost anything by them being included so of course they are worth it. Do people wish they could be implemented in different ways? Of course too, but that's a different question.
  • I agree to keep the bonus 1 CP at DDQ, disappointing to see they removed that. icon_e_sad.gif

And yeah, I think, CP are worth it.
  • Wolarsen
    Wolarsen Posts: 326 Mover and Shaker
    Thanks, LastGambit.

Wow, 720 points are almost 29 Legendary tokens; and considering OldMan and SSurfer have a 5% chance on LT, seems very few people will use the 5* upgrade for several time.
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    Honestly it would be cool if you could sell your unneeded 4* covers for like... 750 iso and 2cp or something.
    Give a little kick back and make getting dupes a little less painful, as I can imagine it might be for some people.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Blahahah wrote:
    Honestly it would be cool if you could sell your unneeded 4* covers for like... 750 iso and 2cp or something.
    Give a little kick back and make getting dupes a little less painful, as I can imagine it might be for some people.

I think 3* covers at 1 cp and 4* covers at 5 cp would be fair. 4* are still pretty rare, and that would be selling five of them (yikes!) before you get one legendary token...which very may turn into another 5 cp.

Selling the 3* covers for CP would make the fully 3* transition something more to look forward to as well - run that last DDQ node every day, it's worth 1cp! It would be like adding CP back into DDQ - but only for those well covered, as should be their intent for a transition plan!
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    Blahahah wrote:

I think 3* covers at 1 cp and 4* covers at 5 cp would be fair. 4* are still pretty rare, and that would be selling five of them (yikes!) before you get one legendary token...which very may turn into another 5 cp.

Selling the 3* covers for CP would make the fully 3* transition something more to look forward to as well - run that last DDQ node every day, it's worth 1cp! It would be like adding CP back into DDQ - but only for those well covered, as should be their intent for a transition plan!

My only problem with the idea is that by that point you're setting a specific price on the legendary tokens: 6250 HP or roughly... $42 USD, give or take.
    You might as well just outright sell command points. Not that I'm against whaling, whales keep the boat afloat... but I'd rather it not be THAT easy.

If you get only 2 or 3 cp per cover instead, then it would cost 11250 HP, or a little over $60. If only 2 then 16250 hp, or about $80. A bit less of a buy-in considering the chances of reaping a 5* reward.

That being said, the only time you're really set to get those 4* covers is if you're already at the point where they only sometimes matter, so I could see the 5cp working. Maybe attach the 5cp reward to something inbetween 1000 and 1300, like an 1150 award.
  • SnowcaTT wrote:
    Blahahah wrote:

You had me up until the last part.

People with largely functioning or even completed 3* rosters ARE looking toward gaining 4*s, that's just how transitioning works. Shutting all but those with already functional 4*s out of yet another means to gaining 4*s essentially ignores what is now arguably the biggest gaping hole in the transition process, actually making it from 3* to 4* play.

3* players are supposed to be focusing on gaining 4* characters, and they're already shut out of D3's first confusingly misguided attempt at making that a possibility with the bizarrely constructed 4* DDQ node. Further restricting any chance of transitioning beyond 3*s is not only not cool, it's potentially devastating to D3's continued success with MPQ in general.

I understand the mentality of people at the top, but they're not helping themselves long-term by encouraging D3 to squeeze the last remaining hope of continued progression out of everyone below them. If D3 cannot keep the bottom 99% playing the game, they're not likely to even bother maintaining servers for the remaining 1%…

tl;dr: Keep the CoPos for everyone, and let the players themselves decide what their idea of progression is.

DBC
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would honestly be curious a year from now to know how many people managed to save up 720 to consistently get covers for the 5*s.

Hell, even with just the three 5*s we have now, that's 10 covers each minimum, 7200 CP for each one and 21600CP needed to max them all out. You couldn't even do that in a year.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    my hope is that cps are a tool they will use to manage 4* and 5* transitions. they always start cautious and slowly loosen the reigns and this gives them a tool to do that with. they can manage cps in the game economy though a dozen different ways, so my hope is that they will at some point increase availability. I do see a problem with the random nature of this way of 'transitioning'. my 4* pulls have mostly been even across the board except for a recent run of jean. I finished her last 2 covers with hp today and she's done. the next guy just as likely had a run of IW or starlord, which don't help at all. this, along with the even nature of the 1K pvp covers means I have basically 10 4*s with 9+ covers and will all enter usefulness (in covers) simultaneously and I will suddenly need milions of iso, which ain't getting bought here. will be weeks before my jean/hb are where I want them and that is where all my iso will go (although I may put some levels into thing or MFer for their ddq days). anyway - that is another subject.

the randomness of the 5* level is worse, since they are so much rarer. I saw an OML at 0/0/5 - how nuts is that! I think they need a better vehicle for transitioning, but cps is better than no cps and this won't be the last change that comes (at least I hope and expect its not the last).

I really hope cps weren't just a tool to encourage more spending. if that becomes their sole purpose, the end may be not far down the road because the vets that are on the unlucky end of the stick will lose interest because they are falling behind - not because they don't excel at playing the game, but because they couldn't get an LT to give up a 5*.
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    I would honestly be curious a year from now to know how many people managed to save up 720 to consistently get covers for the 5*s.

Hell, even with just the three 5*s we have now, that's 10 covers each minimum, 7200 CP for each one and 21600CP needed to max them all out. You couldn't even do that in a year.

Question is, will we still be playing a year from now

I think a year from now my iceman or red hulk might be usable! Yay........?