Fed up with being attacked while in the middle of a fight.

angua51
angua51 Posts: 47 Just Dropped In
edited November 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I am fed up with coming out of a fight to find I have been attacked by multiple other players and so have lost more than I have won. It must be possible to stop this.

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    It is possible to stop it. The solution is called a shield.
  • Steellatch
    Steellatch Posts: 85 Match Maker
    Quebbster wrote:
    It is possible to stop it. The solution is called a shield.

how would the shield work? when you start a fight you lose the shield.
  • angua51
    angua51 Posts: 47 Just Dropped In
    I use shields often but you cannot be shielded while actually fighting. It is fair to be beaten in a fight but not by other players while you are fighting. That is what I object to.
  • jdoe893
    jdoe893 Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    angua51 wrote:
    I use shields often but you cannot be shielded while actually fighting. It is fair to be beaten in a fight but not by other players while you are fighting. That is what I object to.
    are u implying that u want the devs to implement something so that when u are in the middle of a fight u cant get attacked and while u are shielded u cant get attacked too?
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    jdoe893 wrote:
    angua51 wrote:
    are u implying that u want the devs to implement something so that when u are in the middle of a fight u cant get attacked and while u are shielded u cant get attacked too?

Can't be attacked while in fight? Sweet! Free shields by starting a fight before bed and not finishing it until after you get up.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    angua51 wrote:
    I am fed up with coming out of a fight to find I have been attacked by multiple other players and so have lost more than I have won. It must be possible to stop this.

You're doing the same exact thing to someone else. You shouldn't do unto others what you don't like done unto you.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sounds like the OP just objects to losing points.

If you couldn't lose points, no need for shields.

Then PVP becames an endless grindfest, who can win the most matches. Yuck.

Yeah, there's literally no way of making this not-broken if you have some kind of not-during-the-fight clause. Even if you say something like "Must make a move within X amount of time or you auto lose" to stop the people who just keep a single fight on all night, that can still end up biting you in the **** if you did something else and forgot about the game, losing a fight. Or, depending on the time, you could just hop back in every X time minus 1 minute to make a match and then hop back out again, and before you go to bed you shield.

As much as I'd like to not lose 120 points after just winning 30 in a fight that took longer than you'd wanted, I don't see how it can be "fixed".
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    They could limit the amount of points that you can lose in a given time frame. They'd have to play around with the numbers, but an example would be no more than 50 points lost in a 15 minute timeframe.

It's silly to come out of a match and find that you've lost 200 points in the meantime.
  • blargrx
    blargrx Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    Yup, I know there isn't a solution to pvp but it's disheartening winning a battle only to come out and realize you've been hit 8 times for 100+ poibts
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Raffoon wrote:
    They could limit the amount of points that you can lose in a given time frame. They'd have to play around with the numbers, but an example would be no more than 50 points lost in a 15 minute timeframe.

It's silly to come out of a match and find that you've lost 200 points in the meantime.

I suppose that would make sense.
    I was thinking a little too all-or-nothing, I guess =)
  • Zen808
    Zen808 Posts: 260
    Raffoon wrote:

I don't know that forcing the servers to keep a running clock and point tally for every single PVP player is practical.
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    Zen808 wrote:
    Raffoon wrote:

I don't know that forcing the servers to keep a running clock and point tally for every single PVP player is practical.

I don't think that would really be much more of a strain on their servers. They already keep a point tally for your total points and a timer for each of your shields' cooldowns, as well as your active shield, plus a timer for when your event will end.
  • Zen808
    Zen808 Posts: 260
    Raffoon wrote:
    Zen808 wrote:
    Raffoon wrote:

I don't think that would really be much more of a strain on their servers. They already keep a point tally for your total points and a timer for each of your shields' cooldowns, as well as your active shield, plus a timer for when your event will end.

Shields info are a small percentage of PVP players. Event timer probably isn't a running timer, so much as a "assign player to set end time." These things probably are a fraction of the server load that a global 15-minute/50pt counter would require.

Edit: The elo system does what it's supposed to, which is put players at an equilibrium point based on the strength of their roster. Rather than the flood of "solutions" to PVP that require complicated programming, introduce possible exploits, or result in unmitigated point inflation, why not focus on the real problem: rewards, both progression and placement, are not always properly calibrated to the equilibrium points of rosters that need them.
  • LXSandman
    LXSandman Posts: 196 Tile Toppler
    The solution is easy enough..

When you start a fight you get a 10 minutes shield.

This means that while you are actively playing you will not lose points, but when you go to bed or leave for extended periods you still need to shield.

You can't game it by leaving a match running, or making a move every few minutes.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    LXSandman wrote:

Deja vu...

viewtopic.php?style=1&f=7&t=33052&p=415449#p415449
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    LXSandman wrote:

Deja vu...

viewtopic.php?style=1&f=7&t=33052&p=415449#p415449

Yeah, not only would people be invulnerable, but there'd be no available teams to hit. People already complain because at high levels there's no one to fight that's worth any points...
  • philosorapt0r
    philosorapt0r Posts: 36 Just Dropped In
    If we're talking about losing points even on a shield hop, I'm totally on board.

Current: Shield breaks when you start a match.
    Proposed: Shield breaks 5 minutes after you start a match, or when you complete the match, whichever comes first.

Not abusable in any way, just makes 1-fight-hops guaranteed not to get hosed by someone randomly starting a retal before you break / insta-queueing you and having a faster fight.
  • Salgy
    Salgy Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    angua51 wrote:
    hmmm... let's see if i can follow this...

you want to have nodes vs other teams,
    controlled by the ai,
    that are worth points,
    that also yield you progression rewards,
    where you can't lose points,
    and are set up so the more you score, the better the rewards?!?

ooh... maybe they could include some witty dialogue between characters and kind of tell a story along the way...

[/sarcasm]
  • It sucks to lose so many points but that's the gist of PVP, I think... The points do have to come from somewhere/someone after all... You get the freebie points at the beginning of the event already, and the points you get from battles was increased a while back... now you want more ways to make it easier to get to 1,000???

All I got's to say is: don't be greedy (and I'm saying this sarcastically because there's times when I've gotten attacked for 200+ points too and thought the same thing).

My solution to this was not to aim for the 1300 point rewards. I decided to go prance around in the wilderness instead icon_lol.gif lol
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    An objection could be possible point inflation, but tweaks to progressions would address that. Points have inflated, were deflated by cooldowns, inflated again, were deflated by key nerfs, and inflated again.

That said, I don't agree PvP is broken. It is what it is. Some players never get hit at all. The biggest scorers get hit a lot, and hit hard, but score high anyway; they take large risks and win big when they pay off.

Exactly. Imagine all the point inflation that would occur, turning PVP into a grind-fest. D3 would have to rework the progress rewards, and the prize they are trying to get would be pushed up out of their reach anyways, and they would simply be in the same situation with more points/time wasted.

The reason players are being hit is because they are being pushed down to where their team should be at points-wise. If they get hit for 100 during a battle, they are at their equilibrium and need to shield-hop or stop.