[POLL] Do we still want multiple PvP shards?

simonsez
simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
edited November 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Needs a third option--I'd prefer if we went back to the old way of one big shard for everyone but only if that shard ends at the current slice 4 time.
  • MojoWild
    MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Omg, yes we do. Going back to the old way would take us back to the old days of never ending complaints of only having one time to choose from, and how MPQ discriminates against the rest of the world...
  • Tenaciousdecaf
    Tenaciousdecaf Posts: 71 Match Maker
    Based on my past few PVP events, I voted for the 1 big slice option.

If everyone is in one slice there will be many points to be had by all, unlike the current situation where you can potentially join a dry slice where the top 10 are barely above 1000.

If you are in a slice with everyone, then the amount of sniping and attacks *could* diminish depending on your score and team strength. When I'm in a slice where it's relatively dry, everyone seems to be attacking me. In more populated slices, the quantity of attacks seems to be less IMO.

End times aren't a big deal to me because I'm either shielding for 3 or 8 hours until the end anyway.
  • woopie
    woopie Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    What was the end time for the 1 slice?
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    One big slice? Like a pizza :O
  • The problem is the only time. Normally I vary between slides 2,3 and 4. In the middle of the week I caught the slide 1. It would be better to lower the current options because many people may not have time available in only one appointment. If the only time the slice is 5 I never would play pvp.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Or simply delete shield cooldowns (or reduce to 30mins) so selectable end times actually mean something
  • rossmon
    rossmon Posts: 130 Tile Toppler
    Maybe a big slice, with a cheaper shield-out option for those that use slice 1/2 and don't want to buy extra big shields?
    But at the same time, it's nice to have the option to avoid certain slices for certain reasons, and is better to coordinate with alliances.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm in Europe, so the odds of only one set end time being at a time that works for me aren't good. By going back to 1 end time, you'd be forcing part of the player base to shield up well in advance of event end if they don't feel like playing in the middle of the night/early morning.

The slice system has its flaws, dry slices being one of them (although those are nice if you want to go for placement), but it's better than the way it used to be.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would prefer if they added an additional two slices but I understand the points would spread thin as a result... so how about we lower the progressions back to 1000:

Progression Rewards:

25. token_standard.png
    50. +3 All Boosts redtile.pngyellowtile.pnggreentile.pngblacktile.pngbluetile.pngpurpletile.png
    100. star.pngstar.png
    250. token_event.png
    350. 25 imcoin.png
    450. 1500 iso8.png
    525. 25 imcoin.png
    650. token_event.png
    700. 50 imcoin.png
    750. star.pngstar.pngstar.png
    800. 1500 iso8.png
    850. token_event.png
    900. star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png
    1000. token_legendary.png

Edit: Nevermind, this will likely change now that the new Command Points are at 300: https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?style=1&f=7&t=34833&p=439428#p439428
  • wiz_biz
    wiz_biz Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    i'm relatively new to the competitive PVP game, so i can't really say i remember what the before times were like for higher end players. but if we were all thrown into the same pool, i would imagine the tactics most of us use to coordinate would suddenly become untenable, particularly with regards to the skip tax...?
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    wiz_biz wrote:
    i'm relatively new to the competitive PVP game, so i can't really say i remember what the before times were like for higher end players. but if we were all thrown into the same pool, i would imagine the tactics most of us use to coordinate would suddenly become untenable, particularly with regards to the skip tax...?
    Why would you say that? You mean it might take longer to find the person you're looking for? Keep in mind, the way things are now, you often end up cycling through the same 3 people. I wouldn't worry that one shard makes it harder to find people. People were already doing this before we got split off into five shards.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    If the event progressions began to look more like the later half of shield sim in favor of the placements looking more like lightning rounds, couldn't complain.
  • wiz_biz
    wiz_biz Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    simonsez wrote:
    wiz_biz wrote:
    Why would you say that? You mean it might take longer to find the person you're looking for? Keep in mind, the way things are now, you often end up cycling through the same 3 people. I wouldn't worry that one shard makes it harder to find people. People were already doing this before we got split off into five shards.

i would say that because until a couple of seasons ago, i'd never managed a quadruple point event score so my experience is quite limited in this arena! but yes, just assuming because the volume of available matchups is so much larger it would be really difficult - today, even when i'm stuck in a queue loop and an ally unshields, i can *almost* always find them, so it seemed like a logical assumption in my pvp-noobish mind. but then again, i'll never claim to understand how the frig the queues even get populated.
  • Rob13
    Rob13 Posts: 41
    Doesn't matter, somebody will always feel jaded and cry on the forum
  • PvP is so stupid, these things last like 2 or 3 days, but only the last 3 hours are interesting, before that there is no point in killing anyone.
  • Why on earth would you want just one time shard for pvp? That's madness icon_e_smile.gif

The only way that would be remotely acceptable would be if the end time moved by 1-2h each event, so all irl time zones got a crack at it being locally sensible.

(And on pve I'd vote for *more* time slices. None of the current ones are great for the UK.)

Besides, if there was one slice wouldn't you risk being hit 5x as many times when you unshield? Ouch.
  • Maybe 3 shards with 8 hours interval between them. 5 is spreading people too thin now.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    It should be multiple time slices to give everyone around the world 60 hours to compete. They should however, make everyone visible to each other as long as their slice is still active. ie. when slice 1 ends then no one else can queue them (if they are already queued I guess the only affect is the alliance final score if they were hit).
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's either this or don't cater for multiple time zones. I think the former is not as bad since the people that do care about the targets have a choice to join the later slices and people who want to avoid the vets can.