What a difference the right slice makes...

Quebbster
Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
edited November 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I usually pick slice 3 for weekend PvPs and can get to 1300 on two shields there.- first around 1200 and second after 1300. Bracket winners can easily be over 2000 points, so there's plenty of high point targets around.
This time I decided to go for slice 1 instead to let health packs recharge for the PvE grind. I hit 1000 as usual, but then I was unable to find any targets over 35 points. Checked the leaderboards and not even the bracket leader had passed 1300. Decided to shield and be done.
Just wanted to share this to point out the difference high scores do for progression, and the importance of picking the right slice when you want progression rewards. If you can't find enough high point targets in your prefered slice, you might have better luck in another slice.

I know this is nothing new to the veterans, this is mostly aimed at new players to get an idea how much scores can differ.

Comments

• I'm stuck with this problem right now. I'm at 1250 in 3rd place and the leader is only at 1322. I can't find a match above 6 points so I just threw up a shield and I'm going to hope for higher point targets in a few hours.
  • Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    Anyone who wants to know why S1 sucked this event? I'll tell you the answer, but you have to ask me on LINE.
  • XandorXerxes
    XandorXerxes Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    It's still ridiculous that scores are entirely impacted by when other people play.
  • Tenaciousdecaf
    Tenaciousdecaf Posts: 71 Match Maker
    I stayed with slice 3 for Blade's PVP and this time there is not a soul to be seen above 1200. It certainly can be frustrating to not see high-point targets available, but that may be a function of the high health pack requirement and abundance of Fistbuster teams for this specific PVP.
  • SangFroid
    SangFroid Posts: 177 Tile Toppler
    I think all of the people who complain nonstop about how hard scoring 1k and 1.3K is because all the top players are "stealing the rewards" and "want everyone to suck so they can just step on easy targets" should take note. When there are no top players or co-ordinated teams willing to play hard and score high...EVERYONE is worse off.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I normally do slice 4 because it seemed to be really competitive in previous seasons, but now it feels like it's drying up. Last PvP I couldn't make it to 1000 and with 11 hours to go in this one only the guy in first place has 1300 and only the top three have breached 1000. I very much doubt I'll hit 1000 in this one, either.

Maybe I'll have to start using slice 3 instead...
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    I normally do slice 4 because it seemed to be really competitive in previous seasons, but now it feels like it's drying up.
    I'm in the same boat. I'm still able to make it to 1300 but it's tougher and requires an extra 3 hour shield. It's much harder to hit 1300 and still be lazy in Slice 4 than it was just last season.

Is Slice 3 where all the big points are these days? Looking at the High Stakes leaderboards, I see Villains and NJustice folks with scores over 2,000 but they certainly aren't in my slice.
  • Flare808
    Flare808 Posts: 266
    Whichever slice you decide to show up in, please have some tact. The people you are chasing do so by hitting 35-45 pointers to generate the high scores that lead to everyone else having a shot at 1000/1300. They are the reason you can make a late climb on 65-75 pointers. As mentioned in many other threads, find someone on Line and I'm sure they'd be more happy to include you in a battle chat instead of getting hit unshielded.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:
    I usually pick slice 3 for weekend PvPs and can get to 1300 on two shields there.- first around 1200 and second after 1300. Bracket winners can easily be over 2000 points, so there's plenty of high point targets around.
    This time I decided to go for slice 1 instead to let health packs recharge for the PvE grind. I hit 1000 as usual, but then I was unable to find any targets over 35 points. Checked the leaderboards and not even the bracket leader had passed 1300. Decided to shield and be done.
    Just wanted to share this to point out the difference high scores do for progression, and the importance of picking the right slice when you want progression rewards. If you can't find enough high point targets in your prefered slice, you might have better luck in another slice.

I know this is nothing new to the veterans, this is mostly aimed at new players to get an idea how much scores can differ.

I'd have to argue unless you mean looking for top 2 placement, the person doesn't need the placement rewards if they are hitting 1k easily, and doubly so if reaching for 1300.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    GurlBYE wrote:
    Quebbster wrote:

I'd have to argue unless you mean looking for top 2 placement, the person doesn't need the placement rewards if they are hitting 1k easily, and doubly so if reaching for 1300.
    I don't think I said anything about placement rewards. My post is specifically about getting progression rewards. But yes, I don't care much about placement these days.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ahh, the ongoing farce that is MPQ PVP.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    I alternate between slice 1 an slice 3 in order to get the end times at 11pm for all pvp.
    Slice 3 is definitely where the top alliances, the leaderboard is normally filled with 2000+, where as slice 1 will only have a few at 1300.

I play pvp only to hit the 1k mark, and so far the strategy I use is to start around the 36-48 hr mark. Do the seed teams and perhaps climb to 5-600 after pve (limited by how many health packs are remaining). Then at the 24 hour mark I'll try and climb as high as I can. If I'm lucky i'll get close to 1k and shield for that last 1-2 fight to hit it. Otherwise, I let it sit at whatever I end up with (normally around the 800 mark). Let the vets hit you during their climb (24-12 hrs), but don't retaliate. Save these nodes for later. After the 12hr mark, the vets are done climbing and should be shielded for the rest of the event. This is when I make my move. All those retaliation nodes are now worth 60-75 points. Even, if I get knocked down to 5-600, I normally make it to 1k fairly easily. If not shield when I get over 900. With 12 hrs left, there's still enough time to do 2 hops.
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    I normally do slice 4 because it seemed to be really competitive in previous seasons, but now it feels like it's drying up. Last PvP I couldn't make it to 1000 and with 11 hours to go in this one only the guy in first place has 1300 and only the top three have breached 1000. I very much doubt I'll hit 1000 in this one, either.

Maybe I'll have to start using slice 3 instead...

Let's just say one or more alliances decided to act childish and start a war. Instead of scoring 1300-2000 the top PvPers were busy hitting each other at 600-1000. When the top scores are gone the shard suffers.
  • nic13
    nic13 Posts: 87
    Sometimes the big alliances change shards to avoid the leeches. Don't assume a slice always scores
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    nic13 wrote:
    Sometimes the big alliances change shards to avoid the leeches. Don't assume a slice always scores

As long as the leeches don't snipe, the big alliances generally don't care. If you see a good queue wait 15m and everyone will be happy.
  • XandorXerxes
    XandorXerxes Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    dkffiv wrote:
    nic13 wrote:

As long as the leeches don't snipe, the big alliances generally don't care. If you see a good queue wait 15m and everyone will be happy.

Now I wonder if this is a video game or a crime syndicate. "As long as you play by our rules, you'll be fine. Enjoy yourself with what we give you. Break the rules? You don't want to do that. You'll regret it."

Don't get me wrong, I know the game is set up that way, but... too amusing for me to pass up.
  • dkffiv wrote:
    nic13 wrote:

Now I wonder if this is a video game or a crime syndicate. "As long as you play by our rules, you'll be fine. Enjoy yourself with what we give you. Break the rules? You don't want to do that. You'll regret it."

Don't get me wrong, I know the game is set up that way, but... too amusing for me to pass up.
    serious question are you talking about the players or the devs... thinking players from prevoius tone of thread but devs works too.
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    Your post is a piece of advice about the game. As such, please expect it to be moved to the "Tips and Guides" section, which no one reads, shortly. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ludaa wrote:
    Anyone who wants to know why S1 sucked this event? I'll tell you the answer, but you have to ask me on LINE.
    Are you referring to a certain alliance vs. alliance war that just flared up, or was there another reason?

Come to think of it, I'm not sure the reason matters... I'm more curious whether or not it was a one-time thing, or if I should abandon S1 for a while.
  • Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    simonsez wrote:
    Ludaa wrote:
    Are you referring to a certain alliance vs. alliance war that just flared up, or was there another reason?

Come to think of it, I'm not sure the reason matters... I'm more curious whether or not it was a one-time thing, or if I should abandon S1 for a while.

I was just being cheeky, trying to get people who might not normally use Line to start doing so. Less frontrunners made it more difficult. I wasn't aware there was any reason they might not have chosen S1 other than normal strategies.