Return XForce to glory

2»

Comments

• BillyBobJoe
    BillyBobJoe Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    Time to bump one of the (many, many) X-force threads, now that he's buffed.

I've given up on the idea that the devs will go back and balance the older characters like IM40, XFW, or even 4* Thor.

XFW green was, and still is, a big joke. The devs put too much value on board shakes and charged tiles. X23 green is a better bargain than XFW green. Thora's nerf was a tad too harsh. Thora yellow is a joke compared to JG purple.

I don't mean to compare apples to oranges, but FF Record Keeper is constantly balancing out older characters. I wish D3 would consider taking a look at their old stable to make them more playable.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't mean to compare apples to oranges, but FF Record Keeper is constantly balancing out older characters. I wish D3 would consider taking a look at their old stable to make them more playable.

I don't get why they -don't- balance, and often. It should earn them money.

I understand mostly vet players will buy the new covers. But your game is sustained by getting new players, right? And those new players don't have Xforce covers, right? And those new players won't be BUYING X-force covers unless he is competitive, right?

Balance of old characters = infusion of money from new players!
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    His black is fine in its current incarnation. I think I'd prefer it to be targeted (Select target tile, destroy up to 10 AP of that colour from the enemy and destroy all tiles of that colour on the board. Does not generate AP.) if you want to call it "surgical", but that would make it very powerful and would probably necessitate a very slight reduction in power. So leaving it alone is probably the best choice.

Green needs some extra strength. In my opinion, it should deal extra damage for each special tile (enemy or friendly) destroyed. This means XFW could still find a place on a team that generates a lot of friendly special tiles and gives an interesting tactical ability against an enemy team that generates a lot of special tiles - do you fire it early for minimum damage and some board shake? or hold onto that AP and fire it when they've got all their tiles out? The longer you wait, the more danger your team is in, but you'll get a better payoff.

The only change to Yellow would be to split the single countdown into 3 separate countdowns each healing for a third of the total amount. This means that Wolverine is almost guaranteed to get some health back, but is going to be disrupting the board even more if you try to stop him.
  • avs962
    avs962 Posts: 319 Mover and Shaker
    Mawtful wrote:
    The only change to Yellow would be to split the single countdown into 3 separate countdowns each healing for a third of the total amount. This means that Wolverine is almost guaranteed to get some health back, but is going to be disrupting the board even more if you try to stop him.

I think this would actually be a refreshing change for yellow. It would give the best of both worlds.
  • jimstarooney
    jimstarooney Posts: 576 Critical Contributor
    I would still use hulkbuster over a lvl 350 xfw every day of the week.
  • avs962

I have xfw at level 200 unboosted. He's my highest level 4* character. Yet I find myself using him once every five or so matches this week, when he's boosted! Yet some 3* characters, such as BP, Thor, or Cyc, will be used in EVERY match, health packs permitting, when they're boosted. That's not right, in my mind
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    avs962 wrote:

I have xfw at level 200 unboosted. He's my highest level 4* character. Yet I find myself using him once every five or so matches this week, when he's boosted! Yet some 3* characters, such as BP, Thor, or Cyc, will be used in EVERY match, health packs permitting, when they're boosted. That's not right, in my mind

Outside of the 5* tier (since they follow a different archetype pattern to the rest) Cyclops is probably the one character in the game that's the closest to being overpowered. He's in a bulky HP class, he's self sufficient (generates AP for himself), and has two strong nukes. Yellow is highly uncontested, so he can usually gather that just fine, and he uses Black so he pairs well with the popular Iron Fist but also soft counters an AI Iron Fist - who will often fire Purple early.

When boosted, Cyclops is a threat to the entire 3* tier and probably any sub-200 4* as well. I've got a max Hulkbuster and I will run him with Cyclops when either (or both) of them are boosted. I wouldn't feel too bad about placing anyone in 2nd place behind Cyclops.
  • avs962
    Mawtful wrote:
    avs962 wrote:

Outside of the 5* tier (since they follow a different archetype pattern to the rest) Cyclops is probably the one character in the game that's the closest to being overpowered. He's in a bulky HP class, he's self sufficient (generates AP for himself), and has two strong nukes. Yellow is highly uncontested, so he can usually gather that just fine, and he uses Black so he pairs well with the popular Iron Fist but also soft counters an AI Iron Fist - who will often fire Purple early.

When boosted, Cyclops is a threat to the entire 3* tier and probably any sub-200 4* as well. I've got a max Hulkbuster and I will run him with Cyclops when either (or both) of them are boosted. I wouldn't feel too bad about placing anyone in 2nd place behind Cyclops.

I agree with that, Cyc is amazing and better than most, if not all, 3*. However, when a 4* character is boosted, it should be almost a no-brainer to use them over 3*. They put them into a tiered system, so they should justify those tiers. Make xfw more useful!
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Since I have now acquired an Xfw I'm voting yes, return him icon_lol.gif
  • Sandwichboy
    Sandwichboy Posts: 193 Tile Toppler
    Change Recovery to have the exact same effect but apply the secondary effect in the same way as XFDP's countdown; if ANYTHING removes it, it does damage. And either increase the damage for XF by 50% or drop the number of tiles to 9 at level 5 but have it generate AP. Congratulations, you have just made X-Force Wolverine useful again.
  • Coppertouret
    Coppertouret Posts: 169 Tile Toppler
    Bump. More people need to get in on this. I miss my xforce beatdowns. First 4 star maxed, first waste of 400k iso.