I left my alliance today ...

2»

Comments

• DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    DFiPL wrote:
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    There's lots of alliances out there that would take you in. We're full, but I know of others that are similar to ours - lots of vets that feel the same way: the PVE grind will burn you out after a year straight of it. So instead, we PVP only and if anyone feels like doing PVE we merge the vets in with other, similar, PVP only alliances when the event gets into last 12-24 hours.

The alliance I run on mobile, I haven't even bothered with looking at the rosters of my members. I just have one rule: Log in regularly. Play what you feel like playing. If you wanna play PVP, go for it. Casual PVE, go for it. If you wanna chase PVE placement, go for it.

But I'm not interested in herding cats to try to push 19 other people in the same direction for alliance placement.

That's pretty much how mine goes.
    Only time I get close to cracking the whip is with Ultron or Galactus because that's a short, shared responsibility event.

I don't even do that. The requirement for staying in the alliance is to stay active. Log in reasonably frequently. If you just DDQ, that's fine. just PVE, that's fine. Just PVP, that's fine. What isn't fine is going two weeks without logging in without saying "hey guys, I'm gonna be away for a while." I see that, I kick 'em so someone else can join.

I mean, sure, it'd be great if I magically got 19 other people who went after it in PVP or PVE and got everybody rewards, but I put the bulk of my time in on Steam. It wouldn't be fair of me to have expectations of people in my alliance that I can't meet myself on mobile. Trying to play mobile as heavily as I do Steam would kill me, I think.
  • Darknes21
    Darknes21 Posts: 321 Mover and Shaker
    I feel ur pain Strange... I just had an alliance mate burn out....great guy hope he comes back! I've been on the fence on going to PVP but don't like the set up and shielding. Good luck, take some time and u will be back!

Darknes21 (LogansLoonies)
  • TheWerebison
    TheWerebison Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    Take a break if you feel the need. Nobody should ever feel they're forced to do something that's meant to be fun.

The main issue with the game, at least IMHO, is that it is almost entirely competitive, with the exceptions of the intro quests and DDQ, and the temporary Gauntlet and Alliance boss fight modes. Not only competitive, but largely time-based, especially for those working the PVE grind. Those kind of constraints can put a lot of stress on someone. I myself have taken about 3 breaks from the game because of it. Sure it means I won't get my freebie Silver Surfer until well into next year, but I can live with that.

The primary question you should always ask yourself for any video game, or any form of recreation, is "am I enjoying myself?" And if the answer is no, take a break.
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    DayvBang wrote:
    udonomefoo wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    I have a moral dilemma. Every time I see someone say you have to grind PvE to get the legendary, I'm tempted to correct them and say that grinding isn't required. On the other hand, encouraging people to get more 4*s and 5*s isn't going to help me in the game.

If you're sticking to the strict definition of "grind" as being the end of sub grind where you take each node down to 1, then yes you're right. For many people, 3 clears per day is also a "grind".
    This exactly.

If three often 45-minute or more clears at carefully timed intervals throughout the day on top of any PvP or DDQ isn't a "grind", I'd hate to see what is.

3 clears in a 24 hour period is roughly 1/3 of what I would consider grinding. 3 clears normally only take me about 1 1/2 hours to complete. They also don't need to be carefully timed and can be spread out in 5-10 minute intervals throughout the day.

I remember when there wasn't a legendary progression and I always saw complaints about having no more progression rewards 2 days into a 7 day event.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd say take a break and come back casual.

I took like a month off and came back to Pyper's Pit (we're ThePainSquad now icon_cool.gif) and just kinda did what I wanted to for awhile - like two seasons I think - and I'm just starting to kinda tip the PvP competitive iceberg again, but I'm making sure to stay in one of the lower requirements Alliances in our group so I can still kinda pick and choose where I want to apply myself.

It's definitely nice once you free yourself from the shackles of the shineys. Remind yourself it's just a game, and not a real hamster wheel - you can get off whenever you want to.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    I remember when there wasn't a legendary progression and I always saw complaints about having no more progression rewards 2 days into a 7 day event.
    I guess some people want progression rewards only if they're awarded by just showing up.
  • simonsez
    DayvBang wrote:
    udonomefoo wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    I have a moral dilemma. Every time I see someone say you have to grind PvE to get the legendary, I'm tempted to correct them and say that grinding isn't required. On the other hand, encouraging people to get more 4*s and 5*s isn't going to help me in the game.

If you're sticking to the strict definition of "grind" as being the end of sub grind where you take each node down to 1, then yes you're right. For many people, 3 clears per day is also a "grind".
    This exactly.

If three often 45-minute or more clears at carefully timed intervals throughout the day on top of any PvP or DDQ isn't a "grind", I'd hate to see what is.
    ... and I have the same moral dilemma every time someone says you have to "carefully time" your clears.

But you're right... it's way too hard. Better off not playing PvE.

(moral dilemma resolved)
  • Sherlock1
    Sherlock1 Posts: 81 Match Maker
    Ir49UXz.jpg?1
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards

This complaint was by anyone that had to grind to stay in T100. Of course it's annoying to hit progression after a day or two.

Admittedly, I so passionately hate PVE that I haven't tried to hard to estimate where the legendary progression is. So as Simonsez mentioned: my "moral dilemma" has been solved. But I tried twice and wasn't able to hit it with only the 3x/day "node near max" clear - you have to run it more than that it seemed, at which point you might as well grind to t100 with everyone else that is doing it.
    simonsez wrote:
    I guess some people want progression rewards only if they're awarded by just showing up.

But then running the entire thing three times a day...apparently that's just "showing up", eh? Nothing like having to show up three times a day for half an hour at a time (or more if they are the waves...) at approximately the correct time. Thanks, I'd rather have a game I can play for that hour and a half straight if I'd like to....

I understand some people can live with the PVE schedule. Do those that find it easy understand that some people can NOT live with that schedule? That's what burns out folks like the OP! I get the roughness of this on anyone who has a social/family life, and haven't been able to do these events in large part because of the precise time commitment these take!

It is that reason that people have been BEGGING for non-competitive events for almost the entire existence of the game! Sure, I can't compete in PVP as much as some, I'm not a whale. Sure, I can't compete in PVE as much as some - I have things called "family" and "a job" that don't let me wake up in the middle of the night. So give your casual player an event that is progression only, that they can do more at their leisure and is not so specifically timed!
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:

Man, do I miss the thumbs down button at times like this. Three clears of every node a day for four to seven days is "showing up"? Good Lord.

Doc, don't feel bad. That's exactly what the addiction machine wants. Install new games. Future Fight is accounting for more and more of my Marvel fix, and I don't regret it so far. It is hard to walk away from an investment, be it money or time, but when it isn't fun, it must be done.
  • simonsez
    firethorne wrote:
    Man, do I miss the thumbs down button at times like this. Three clears of every node a day for four to seven days is "showing up"? Good Lord.
    I miss it too. Thumbs down for your inability to parse a simple sentence. "Showing up" was offered as the alternative to the complaint that 3 clears a day is way too hard. So where do you come up with the equivalency between the two? Is reading really that hard? Go argue with me somewhere else about something I actually said. I'm sure there are plenty of opportunities.
  • simonsez wrote:
    DayvBang wrote:
    udonomefoo wrote:
    simonsez wrote:

This exactly.

... and I have the same moral dilemma every time someone says you have to "carefully time" your clears.

But you're right... it's way too hard. Better off not playing PvE.

(moral dilemma resolved)

FWIW, you don't even need to bother with all the passive-aggressive responses to everyone. Anyone who has actually played PvE knows how hard it is, so you'll likely have your slices all to yourself sooner rather than later unless D3 makes some meaningful changes to, well, anything. icon_e_wink.gificon_lol.gif

However, if you chose, you could always go with something like, "Sorry your experience is so different than mine, but I get it, it's enough of a struggle for you that it might not even be worth bothering," if you chose. The result would likely be much the same. But, you know, post however you need to. icon_e_wink.gif

DBC
  • simonsez
    FWIW, you don't even need to bother with all the passive-aggressive responses to everyone.
    Yeah, but the aggressive ones are the ones that get me into trouble.

Look, we're not talking things that are a matter of opinion. It is a fact that YOU DO NOT NEED TO TIME CLEARS TO GET THE TOP PROGRESSION. No one's experience is going to differ on this. I'm not telling anyone that they need to love PvE. I'm just responding to posts that contradict the basic math involved here.
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    simonsez wrote:
    Yeah, but the aggressive ones are the ones that get me into trouble.

Look, we're not talking things that are a matter of opinion. It is a fact that YOU DO NOT NEED TO TIME CLEARS TO GET THE TOP PROGRESSION. No one's experience is going to differ on this. I'm not telling anyone that they need to love PvE. I'm just responding to posts that contradict the basic math involved here.

Um. Could you enlighten me on what this basic math is? What was it for Enemy of the State for example?
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    I did nothing close to 3 optimal clears on EotS and got the token on the last day with minimal grinding on the wave nodes.

(I'm talking missed all 3 essentials until the last clear on a sub.)

Before legendary tokens existed, I'd do two full clears a day, collect all the progressions and place top 100-150. The introduction of higher point progression rewards means something more to play for, not more prizes for the same effort.

That said, I'm very bored with the current event. Maybe it's this week's boosted characters? I'm not sure. I just can't get into the matches, and don't even want yet another single cover 4*. The 48 hour subs annoy me because it's the same few fights over and over for two full days.