I left my alliance today ...

DrStrange-616
DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
edited October 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I left my alliance today because I couldn't stand one more new character PVE grind. I'll miss my alliance mates like hell. They're the best part of this game.

Knowing comepetitve PVE wasn't for me anymore, I was going to focus on PVP. My roster is ready, but now I wonder why I should bother. The time to build 4* feels endless and the rarity of top level 4*s is just sad. Everyone knows the reasons why the transition blows. I won't rehash them, they've been expressed by many here far better than I could.

I'm discouraged.

I thought, well today at least I have the 4* DDQ. And then, LOL, not so much. Another node that is seemingly designed to reward covers for those who probably already have them or at least most of them.

I get it, D3. Here's your hat what's your hurry, right?

I honestly don't know what sort of players they want playing this game, but it's apparently not ones like me.

I'll goof around and save money. There must be a good Star Wars game starting up soon right? Right?

Comments

• Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, I'm feeling in the same kind of limbo state.
    I played Enemy of the State once and thought "Wait...why?" I realised I'd end up grinding PVP several hours a day for a whole week for just a legendary token, a handful of HP and some ISO. I didn't need the placement reward nor did I need anything in the progression except the legendary token. So I skipped it.

I only play PvE for the new 4* now and even then it's hard to justify it since I only recently had my first 13 covered 4* and it was Devil Dino. Next best is 12 covers for Nick Fury and Invisible Woman, then 11 for Wolvie and Thoress, 9 for Elektra, 7 for Starlord, then 5 or lower for everyone else. It's going to take a long-**** time hitting 1000 in PvP each time to get a 4* cover for every single character.

Hell, if they stopped releasing 4* characters after X-23 so we could catch up it would still take me until this time next year to get everyone up to spec.

The 4* transition has been made easier, sure, but...relatively speaking we had nothing before so anything was an improvement.

I feel like my progress is halting rapidly, especially if I ever get the last four 3* covers I actually need.
  • wirius
    wirius Posts: 667
    I agree. The type of person who can grind through the 4* transition is a small percentage of people who play this game. This was fine when 4*'s were like 5*'s are now. The problem is you have a lot of people who are done with 3*'s, and find the reward to effort ratio too high. I've heard they have plans soon to fix this, so don't go away completely!
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    You left for good over 1 event?

Couldn't just swap out for the event?

Dead Casual has a spot if you want no obligations whatsoever!

Thanks for the offer. For now, it's just for the event, but they're still PVE focused and I'm not sure what I want to do, so ... icon_e_smile.gif
  • Lee T
    Lee T Posts: 318
    I'm in the same club, well not exactly, I'm in a lower tier but I got tired nonetheless. I felt the grind more and more this last few weeks and EotS broke the camel back.
  • I feel exactly the same way. Left my alliance a few days ago.

Yesterday I didn't even think about doing the DDQ.

Today I think I might just go ahead and uninstall. I only came here today to see if there was any info on this mysterious upcoming new mechanic, but I'm not sure I even care about that anymore.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    There's lots of alliances out there that would take you in. We're full, but I know of others that are similar to ours - lots of vets that feel the same way: the PVE grind will burn you out after a year straight of it. So instead, we PVP only and if anyone feels like doing PVE we merge the vets in with other, similar, PVP only alliances when the event gets into last 12-24 hours.

I hope that those that have said they are quitting over PVE find an alliance and playstyle that works for them.

I hope the devs hear these complaints - they have to be able to see it through play. PVE is interesting once, maybe fun twice, but when you are doing the same event over and over and over...and you -must- grind it every single time to do well or get the legendary tokens....this is just not fun, and essentially "requiring" it for 5* transition is burning folks out again.

People have begged for non-competitive content forever, supposedly something different is in the pipeline...hopefully it is very close to ready.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    you -must- grind it every single time to do well or get the legendary tokens....
    I have a moral dilemma. Every time I see someone say you have to grind PvE to get the legendary, I'm tempted to correct them and say that grinding isn't required. On the other hand, encouraging people to get more 4*s and 5*s isn't going to help me in the game.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't think many players are going for this 4*.. I have never ranked in the T100 for the 4*, yet I am #16 right now and my Alliance is in the T20.
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Trying to stay on top of PvE, especially when it requires so many 2* requisite characters, means I never finish in the points because I *only* have 60 roster slots.

SIXTY. SIXTY, with two years played, and I can't keep enough characters available for required missions....

This is why I PvP.
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well I for one hope you stick around DrStrange of 616. You have always been one cool cat in my book.゙☆⌒o(*^ー゚)v

My PvE alliance is also apparently hemorrhaging from the aftermath of the anniversary. A lot of people were sticking around just to see what the 2nd Anniversary had in store and unfortunately they didn't catch their second wind (to borrow your words). I even have a n00b member AWOL. Aye aye aye!

Their are rumors of something new coming around the corner and I do believe we are due for a dev video in the next week or two, so hopefully you will still be around then to judge whether it's worth continuing or not. Hopefully new *cough* non-competitive*cough again* game modes are on the way! And new villains too muahahahaha

Anyway i hope you stay. The end.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2015
    I don't think many players are going for this 4*.. I have never ranked in the T100 for the 4*, yet I am #16 right now and my Alliance is in the T20.
    well, I'm in the wrong dang slice/bracket - entered at the wrong time and will struggle to make t100. 5 usually isn't so competitive and maybe it will let up, but everyone's started with hair on fire.

Strange - if you ever tire of pve to the point of no return, lots of pvp alliances with no pve requirements would welcome you. I'm no commander, but I know Deadly United has openings. about half of us pve on occasion (sometimes to the LT, sometimes more) and those that go past the LT enough to make it worth it to someone merc out. I've gotten to where I do most 3 and 4 day (not all, but most) at least to the LT, and none of the 7-day (did 1 clear/day on ~3 or 4 days of EotS).
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    you -must- grind it every single time to do well or get the legendary tokens....
    I have a moral dilemma. Every time I see someone say you have to grind PvE to get the legendary, I'm tempted to correct them and say that grinding isn't required. On the other hand, encouraging people to get more 4*s and 5*s isn't going to help me in the game.

If you're sticking to the strict definition of "grind" as being the end of sub grind where you take each node down to 1, then yes you're right. For many people, 3 clears per day is also a "grind".
  • Trojax2010
    Trojax2010 Posts: 34 Just Dropped In
    You will be missed doc! Good luck to you. I think I am too institutionalized to stop grinding PVE (lol), but I understand your frustrations. Anyways hope you come back after Unstable ISO.
  • Noooooooo!! Dammit Strange, your a doctor not a quitter!! My understanding was you were just gonna sit out this event. I know you have been dissapointed with the game even before Galacta-geddon of 2015. I feel ya on how mundane pve has gotten and really only effort and motivation for me has been yummy leg tokens. But even then it's getting difficult. I know myself along with a few others have been focusing on pvp more (btw got past 1k in bullseye without even getting hit icon_e_smile.gif and I know we have talked about it, maybe we should talk about it even more in depth? Hopefully a break from this event as well as the new feature (hopefully comes out soon) can give you a 2nd wind and can re-kickstart the game. However, whatever your choices are, know you always have an all access pass aboard our decks!!!

And to all that are trying to recruit....... Back off!!! The doc belongs on the boat!!! Jk icon_e_smile.gif
  • The forum has the same feel right now that it had back before 3* DDQ was introduced. The math was apparent that keeping up with the pace of 3* character release required a level of grinding that most players wouldn't or couldn't achieve. Some argued that not everyone should get all the covers of every 3*, because progressing in this game should mean something, darnit. Maybe that was true but more and more people were saying they were just bored, feeling stalled out in the game, not really wanting to quit but wondering what they were working towards. 3* DDQ reinvigorated a lot of folks and was part of changing the tone in the forums. Now the same discussion is happening in relation to 4*s, and I do wonder what is on the horizon the the devs are hinting at. I'll stick around to see but I have to concur that now that I have most of my 3*s fully covered but I'm not in the position to get a lot of legendary tokens, it's not as much fun opening the regular tokens knowing they're 96% useless to me.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    udonomefoo wrote:
    simonsez wrote:

If you're sticking to the strict definition of "grind" as being the end of sub grind where you take each node down to 1, then yes you're right. For many people, 3 clears per day is also a "grind".
    This exactly.

If three often 45-minute or more clears at carefully timed intervals throughout the day on top of any PvP or DDQ isn't a "grind", I'd hate to see what is.
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    DayvBang wrote:
    udonomefoo wrote:
    simonsez wrote:

This exactly.

If three often 45-minute or more clears at carefully timed intervals throughout the day on top of any PvP or DDQ isn't a "grind", I'd hate to see what is.

I ended up doing some grinding at the end of subs to be "sure" I would get the leg token for Enemy of the State, does anyone know if the leg token was attainable with 3 clears of each sub only?
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    There's lots of alliances out there that would take you in. We're full, but I know of others that are similar to ours - lots of vets that feel the same way: the PVE grind will burn you out after a year straight of it. So instead, we PVP only and if anyone feels like doing PVE we merge the vets in with other, similar, PVP only alliances when the event gets into last 12-24 hours.

The alliance I run on mobile, I haven't even bothered with looking at the rosters of my members. I just have one rule: Log in regularly. Play what you feel like playing. If you wanna play PVP, go for it. Casual PVE, go for it. If you wanna chase PVE placement, go for it.

But I'm not interested in herding cats to try to push 19 other people in the same direction for alliance placement.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    DFiPL wrote:
    SnowcaTT wrote:

The alliance I run on mobile, I haven't even bothered with looking at the rosters of my members. I just have one rule: Log in regularly. Play what you feel like playing. If you wanna play PVP, go for it. Casual PVE, go for it. If you wanna chase PVE placement, go for it.

But I'm not interested in herding cats to try to push 19 other people in the same direction for alliance placement.

That's pretty much how mine goes.
    Only time I get close to cracking the whip is with Ultron or Galactus because that's a short, shared responsibility event.

And my alliance really pulled through for Galactus round 2 grabbing 2 covers. Better than we'd ever done before.

Other than that I'm okay with my alliance guys logging in to do stuff. Though I kinda wish everyone would go for the 10-pack at least in a season...
  • I think that as an alliance we could probably be more pvp focused. Most of us are tired of the pve grind and those that want the extra cover could probably merc out. I know that you and this alliance are one of the reasons I didn't quit after prof x. Hopefully there will be some talk in the works and we will see you back soon.