Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    Options
    Skyedyne wrote:
    How is Cap ranked A....?

A is for AMERICA
  • yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This is useful for me. Thanks to the people who have contributed. Helps me (sadly) decide who I have to get rid of when I need to make roster space.

Also, what does the S stand for? Why not just start at A or 1 and work your way down?
  • yogi_ wrote:
    This is useful for me. Thanks to the people who have contributed. Helps me (sadly) decide who I have to get rid of when I need to make roster space.

Also, what does the S stand for? Why not just start at A or 1 and work your way down?

The S is just a grade higher than A, and is used in grading, but I'm unsure of the origin.
    Tier lists with letters are more accurate than the ranking that mischiefmaker provided in his tier list (no offense), as they help determine a character's relative strength compared to other characters rather than purely who is better than the other person. You could have 2 characters in S rank, 2 chars in B rank, but no chars in A rank, for instance.
  • TheHood wrote:
    1-Star: Commons
    S - Modern Storm
    A - Iron Man Model 35, Modern Black Widow
    B - Jaggernaut
    C - Venom and Classic Hawkeye
    D - Yelena Belova

2-Star: Uncommon
    S - Astonishing X-Men Wolverine, Original Black Widow
    A - Classic Storm, Ares, Thor
    B - Daken
    C - Magneto Marvel Now!, Modern Hawkeye
    D - Captain America, Moonstone, Bullseye
    E - Bag-Man

3-Star: Rare
    S - Classic Magneto, Classic Spider-Man
    A - Black Widow Grey Suit, The Punisher
    B - Iron Man Model 40, Wolverine Patch, The Hood, Doctor Doom, The Hulk
    C - Ragnarok, Daredevil
    D - Loki

4-Star: Legendary
    S -
    A -
    B - X-Force Wolverine
    C - Invisible Woman

* by xforce, Spiderman, and magneto classic. Due to announced balancing
    ** by Loki and patches due to being far more reliant on team.match ups to be viable or good.

move punisher down to B.
    Make a B+/B/B- range for 3***.
    Put punisher, hulk, and patches in B+. Hood as the lone B. Doom, im40 as B-.

Delete the entire A column for 2**.
    Move wolverine down to B.
    Move the A column you deleted down to being B tier.
    Move dakan to C tier.
    Move magneto ++ and Hawkeye ** down to D tier.

Combine the 4**** with the 3*** in thier equivalent locations with iw staying C tier and xforce being B-.
  • ^^^ Soenottelling's tier list

S - Modern Storm
    B - Jaggernaut
    D - Yelena Belova

S Original Black Widow
    A
    B Astonishing X-Men Wolverine, Classic Storm, Ares, Thor
    C Daken
    D Captain America, Moonstone, Bullseye, Magneto Marvel Now!, Modern Hawkeye
    E Bag-Man

3-Star: Rare and 4-Star Legendary
    S Classic Magneto, Classic Spider-Man
    A Black Widow Grey Suit, The Punisher
    B+ Wolverine Patch, Punisher, Hulk
    B The Hood
    B- Doctor Doom, Ironman Model 40, X-Force Wolverine
    C Ragnarok, Daredevil, Invisible Woman
    D Loki
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    TheHood wrote:
    S - Modern Storm
    B - Jaggernaut
    D - Yelena Belova

S - Astonishing X-Men Wolverine, Original Black Widow
    A - Classic Storm, Ares, Thor
    B - Daken
    C - Magneto Marvel Now!, Modern Hawkeye
    D - Captain America, Moonstone, Bullseye
    E - Bag-Man

3-Star: Rare
    S - Classic Magneto, Classic Spider-Man
    A - Black Widow Grey Suit, The Punisher
    B - Iron Man Model 40, Wolverine Patch, The Hood, Doctor Doom, The Hulk
    C - Ragnarok, Daredevil
    D - Loki

4-Star: Legendary
    S -
    A -
    B - X-Force Wolverine
    C - Invisible Woman

* by xforce, Spiderman, and magneto classic. Due to announced balancing
    ** by Loki and patches due to being far more reliant on team.match ups to be viable or good.

move punisher down to B.
    Make a B+/B/B- range for 3***.
    Put punisher, hulk, and patches in B+. Hood as the lone B. Doom, im40 as B-.

Delete the entire A column for 2**.
    Move wolverine down to B.
    Move the A column you deleted down to being B tier.
    Move dakan to C tier.
    Move magneto ++ and Hawkeye ** down to D tier.

Combine the 4**** with the 3*** in thier equivalent locations with iw staying C tier and xforce being B-.

Way to be lazy and get someone else to do the dirty work for you icon_razz.gif
  • I don't know what S-Tier stands for, but it comes out of the Street Fighter/Fighting Game community. In actual direct competition games, it stands for "If you have this option available and use anything else, you are stupid." For instance, Akuma in SF2T is the only true S-Tier character as he is ridiculously overpowered (on purpose) and there's really no way to fight him with a normal character. Every other character has at least some bad matchups. The only currently existing MPQ char that I think could be considered S-Tier is classic Spidey (disclaimer: my CMags only has 1 cover) and even then, there are other options that are better in a few circumstances.
  • makotopl wrote:
    yogi_ wrote:

The S is just a grade higher than A, and is used in grading, but I'm unsure of the origin.
    Tier lists with letters are more accurate than the ranking that mischiefmaker provided in his tier list (no offense), as they help determine a character's relative strength compared to other characters rather than purely who is better than the other person. You could have 2 characters in S rank, 2 chars in B rank, but no chars in A rank, for instance.

Seems like in all the Anime I have watched, they always have S as being above A. It's almost like I've been led to believe that A rank is the highest, but then there's this ultimate S-rank which appears out of nowhere. I've not seen instances of this ranking in America. A is top in america.
  • yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've tried to collate what everyone has said into one list and this is what I came up with. Possibly not exact but a decent start.

Numbers are grades, from lowest to highest. Grades are relative rankings within each category and not comparable across Stars.

1*
    1 - Yelena Belova (Dark Avengers)
    2 - Hawkeye (Classic), Venom (Dark Avengers)
    3 - Juggernaut (Classic)
    4 - Black Widow (Modern), Iron Man (Model 35)
    5 - Storm (Modern)

2*
    1 - Spider-Man (Bag-Man)
    2 - Bullseye (Dark Avengers), Captain America (Modern), Moonstone (Dark Avengers)
    3 - Hawkeye (Modern), Magneto (Marvel NOW!)
    4 - Daken (Dark Avengers)
    5 - Ares (Dark Avengers), Storm (Classic), Thor (Marvel NOW!), Wolverine (Astonishing X-Men)
    6 - Black Widow (Original)

3*
    1 - Loki (Dark Reign)
    2 - Daredevil (Man Without Fear), Ragnarok (Dark Avengers)
    3 - Doctor Doom (Classic), Iron Man (Model 40)
    4 - The Hood (Classic)
    5 - Black Widow (Grey Suit), The Punisher (Dark Reign), The Hulk (Indestructible), Wolverine (Patch)
    6 - Magneto (Classic), Spider-Man (Classic)

4*
    1 - Invisible Woman (Classic)
    2 - Wolverine (X-Force)
  • S being higher than A is a Japanese thing. In America, A has always been the top. If you need to go above A, you either add + or more As.

It's difficult to make a list of characters because they're not the same on offense and defense. Some of the most broken characters are actually surprisingly weak on defense.
  • Why would you rank the characters from lowest to highest? lol

Here's my list because it's fun.

1-star (*):
    S - Modern Storm
    A - Modern Black Widow
    B - Juggernaut
    C - Iron Man 35, Classic Hawkeye
    D - Venom
    E - Yelena Belova

2-star (**):
    S - Original Black Widow
    A - Ares
    B - Classic Storm, Thor, Astonishing Wolverine
    C - Daken, MNow Magneto, Captain America
    D - Modern Hawkeye, Moonstone, Bullseye
    E - Bag-Man

3-Star(***):
    S - Classic Spider-Man, Classic Magneto, Wolverine (Patch)
    A - The Hulk, The Punisher, Psylocke*
    B - Grey Suit Black Widow, The Hood
    C - Doctor Doom, Iron Man 40, Ragnarok
    D - Loki
    E - Daredevil

4-Star(****):
    C - Invisible Woman
    D - Wolverine (X-Force)
  • Phantron wrote:
    S being higher than A is a Japanese thing. In America, A has always been the top. If you need to go above A, you either add + or more As.

It's difficult to make a list of characters because they're not the same on offense and defense. Some of the most broken characters are actually surprisingly weak on defense.

Ive never seen anything that shows S or A compared.
    I always seen A at the top in an A,B,C,D,F system. I've only seen S's in very low levels if education like kindergarten they used S in place of A's as the top grade. I don't remember the exacts but you could get like an S or an N for satisfactory or not satisfactory and there may have been done silly 3rd option. I dunno where I'm going with this. I just don't see in what situation where an A presents itself above an S as I've never seen them side by side.
  • Phantron wrote:
    S being higher than A is a Japanese thing. In America, A has always been the top. If you need to go above A, you either add + or more As.

I always seen A at the top in an A,B,C,D,F system. I've only seen S's in very low levels if education like kindergarten they used S in place of A's as the top grade. I don't remember the exacts but you could get like an S or an N for satisfactory or not satisfactory and there may have been done silly 3rd option. I dunno where I'm going with this. I just don't see in what situation where an A presents itself above an S as I've never seen them side by side.

It used to be that S in tier lists was reserved for only the most broken characters, but the trend lately has been to use it to describe the top characters, which I find somewhat uninformative. Now people are finding new ways to label broken characters, like S+ or God Tier. With the rate of inflation, God Tier is bound to be the lowest tier in about 10-20 years.
  • For all the people placing daredevil so low on the tiers, you haven't played against a high level/maxed out DD yet, now have you?

Just wait for the new tournament tomorrow icon_mrgreen.gif

Sincerely,
    My lvl70, 3.5k damage dealing (before buff) Dare Devil
  • I also think people underrate Bullseye on offense. He does suck because he tops out at 69, but my God, spamming protect tiles with adamantium bones can drastically lower the damage your team takes. In the Nefarious Foes tourney, my team was Bullseye (maxed), Ares (77), and Ragnarok (51) and basically after I threw up a couple of protect tiles, my team wouldn't take any significant damage at all. Also, the AI has no idea of how to handle the shields so it creates more and never makes any real attempt to destroy them.

He's also okay on defense just because people tend to skip him because he's pretty annoying to deal with when he's maxed, even though he's fairly squishy.
  • Deadpan wrote:
    For all the people placing daredevil so low on the tiers, you haven't played against a high level/maxed out DD yet, now have you?

Sincerely,

The daredevil in the pve is higher lvled........ .... Still easy as heck to beat.
  • Toxicadam wrote:
    I feel like abilities that have tile placement, tile smashing, cascade causing features are very under rated by most people. That's hidden AP collection and damage that can add up. Not to mention the defensive aspect of destroying enemy countdown/strike tiles/shield tiles.

That's why I rate characters like Juggs, Magneto NOW, GSBW (even Loki) higher than most people would put them.

For PVE I agree. For PVP no, and that's because the AI is hopeless at using those kinds of abilities.
  • Phantron wrote:

S for the top rank is a Japanese thing. You see it a lot in Japanese games and it crossed over especially due to people using it to rank characters in fighting games.
  • ApolloAndy wrote:
    I also think people underrate Bullseye on offense. He does suck because he tops out at 69, but my God, spamming protect tiles with adamantium bones can drastically lower the damage your team takes. In the Nefarious Foes tourney, my team was Bullseye (maxed), Ares (77), and Ragnarok (51) and basically after I threw up a couple of protect tiles, my team wouldn't take any significant damage at all. Also, the AI has no idea of how to handle the shields so it creates more and never makes any real attempt to destroy them.

He's also okay on defense just because people tend to skip him because he's pretty annoying to deal with when he's maxed, even though he's fairly squishy.

To be fair even if you're trying to destroy those tiles, most of the time you can't because the only way they can get destroyed permanently is if you had a match 4 around it, or you were able to match 2 protect tiles at the same time (otherwise destroying one just creates another one).

I think Bullseye will also benefit from Spiderman nerf because currently Spiderman just have to stun him and it gets rid of his tiles too and you only need to destroy a couple to render him useless.
  • Deadpan wrote:
    For all the people placing daredevil so low on the tiers, you haven't played against a high level/maxed out DD yet, now have you?

Sincerely,

I've played against high level Daredevils at least 50 times and I have never once been hit by his red. The character sucks.