How would you feel if MPQ had side quests? Update - Poll!

Hayek
Hayek Posts: 96 Match Maker
edited October 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
MPQ has (aside from prologue) 4 game modes:
  • Story Events
  • PvP (including lightning rounds)
  • Deadpool daily quest
  • Special Events like Ant Farm, Ultron, and Galactus

We're always excited when a whole new mode comes around to shake things up a bit, but D3 tends to run them all side by side. There has even been times where all 4 types were active at the same time, which can cause burnout. What if instead of adding a 5th game play mode, they introduced side quests. Here are some examples:

star.png The Hunt star.png
Any time you play with 3 heroes or 3 villains in your team against a node with at least 1 goon, there is a small chance that the goon will be replaced with a minor villain (if you're using a hero team) or minor hero (if you're using a villain team). If you defeat the node, you make progress in your side quest where you're hunting a particular hero or villain. After having found and defeated a certain number of minor characters, you open up a fight against a souped up version of the character you were hunting. If you defeat him, you get a great reward. Maybe it doesn't have to be a token_legendary.png even. Something like 5-10k iso8.png would be pretty awesome too.

star.png The Infinity Gauntlet star.png
This would be a longer side quest. They could make the Gauntlet an event that is always available apart from regular story mode. If you complete the gauntlet, then you acquire the infinity gauntlet and have to search for the stones. When playing any match (maybe aside from prologue), if you manage to match 7 (or 8, depending on how difficult they want to make it) in a straight line of a certain color, then you get to collect the gem of that color:
  • bluetile.png = mind
  • greentile.png = soul
  • purpletile.png = space
  • redtile.png = power
  • yellowtile.png = reality
  • blacktile.png = time (since we don't have orange)
If you manage to collect all the stones, then you unlock a battle against waves of heroes/villains with a level 450 version of one of your characters. If you win, you get a nifty reward.

I think these would be really nifty, especially because they don't require you to grind anything else. They would be random events that would pop up when you least expect. It would also add a new dimension of play - can you figure out how to cause an 8-match
in a straight line and still win your battle? What do y'all think?

Mod Edit: Moving to Suggestions on 10/29
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Don't forget Lightning Rounds and the Shield Simulator. I know they are under the PVP tab, but they are separate events from the current featured PVP.
  • I'm always up for more actual new content!
  • some actual PvE content that you can decide when to play, instead of the game telling you you have to wait another 6 hours before you can do each node exactly once. Yes please.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Frasaria wrote:
    some actual PvE content that you can decide when to play, instead of the game telling you you have to wait another 6 hours before you can do each node exactly once. Yes please.
    I think the prologue is the perfect example of this, play it whenever you want to... it would be nice to have additional stories, or after you complete it and gather all the rewards, that it resets and bumps up a tad in difficulty and rewards.
  • I would like to have more game modes like the prologue that I can play on my own time, at my own pace.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was actually thinking something more simple. Like daily/weekly challenges.

Off the top of my head...
    Daily - Win 5 fights with Bagman, Moonstone and Hawkeye without using any abilities (Includes passives)
    Weekly - Spend 50,000 ISO

Rewards are tokens of some kind...
    I dunno, just making stuff up here o.o
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    I used to think there should be a gauntlet style event running in the background like the shield simulator or the prologue does. that was before LTs were added to pve progressions. now, if I ever feel like I need to supplement extra time into something, I find a 3 or 4 day pve and go get the token. truthfully, keeping up with pvp, ddq, non-7day pves, and LRs, not sure how much I'd use another setup. that said, during 7-day pves (which I don't play, like this EotS), there is a little bit of extra time I could put somewhere and that would provide a somewhere to put it.
  • Hayek
    Hayek Posts: 96 Match Maker
    TxMoose wrote:
    I used to think there should be a gauntlet style event running in the background like the shield simulator or the prologue does. that was before LTs were added to pve progressions. now, if I ever feel like I need to supplement extra time into something, I find a 3 or 4 day pve and go get the token. truthfully, keeping up with pvp, ddq, non-7day pves, and LRs, not sure how much I'd use another setup. that said, during 7-day pves (which I don't play, like this EotS), there is a little bit of extra time I could put somewhere and that would provide a somewhere to put it.

I think that's why I would prefer side quests to full fledge new game modes. There's no extra grinding. In the two examples I posted, you progress in your quests WHILE playing the other modes. In the second example, for instance, you optionally increase the difficulty on yourself by attempting to set up very difficult match 8s while you're doing your PvE nodes. If you succeed, you are rewarded accordingly.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    ah, more of an achievement list - the achievement trophy board that all the other games have for oddball stuff. that would be cool. all for that.
  • nwman
    nwman Posts: 331 Mover and Shaker
    TxMoose wrote:
    . that said, during 7-day pves (which I don't play, like this EotS), there is a little bit of extra time I could put somewhere and that would provide a somewhere to put it.

More play on our own time events for sure.

But as much as I hate 7 day events Eots is great for 1 play through on each sub event. Lots of tokens and plenty of 1 off ISO nodes that make it almost exactly like you want if placement and all progression aren't issues.

Seriously if I could just play the entire event on my own schedule and not be locked into 1 day sub events that would be even better.

Just 1 pass of each node. Once done the next sub event opens. Once your done its gone.
  • It's probably been said before, but a 'Growth Industry' type event running every 5 days (real pve non competitive) with say 10 nodes of increasing difficulty would be good, various rewards of hp iso and tokens with needing to be massive.
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    One of the best ideas for spicing up the game that I have seen in awhile. I definitely think achievement list type of quests are one of the untapped areas that would help make the game more enjoyable and great. Although I have been pushing for gorilla event type content and an actual storyline for awhile now I think achievement lists would be much more feasible and easier to implement. Awesome ideas Hayek!
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    gorilla event type content
    Deadpool vs. Donkey Kong?
  • rbdragon
    rbdragon Posts: 479 Mover and Shaker

Daily - Win 5 fights with Bagman, Moonstone and Hawkeye without using any abilities (Includes passives)

I've always been surprised at the lack of a daily/weekly "side bet" type thing in this game - so many mobile games do this. I would look to Temple Run for how they do it with their challenges as a template - three challenges for the day, and three for the week - all with increasing prizes for increased difficulty:

Daily:
    - Win a match in PVP or PVE (non-all goon) with all characters over 75% health - Reward: 250 iso8big.png
    - Win a match in PVP or PVE (non-all goon) with all characters over 85% health - Reward: 500 iso8big.png
    - Win a match in PVP or PVE (non-all goon) with all characters over 95% health - Reward: 1000 iso8big.png

Weekly:
    - Get 2000 total points in PVP - Reward: 1000 iso8big.png & 25 heropointsbig.png
    - Get 2500 total points in PVP - Reward: 2500 iso8big.png & 50 heropointsbig.png
    - Get 3000 total points in PVP - Reward: 5000 iso8big.png & 100 heropointsbig.png
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    rbdragon wrote:

I've always been surprised at the lack of a daily/weekly "side bet" type thing in this game - so many mobile games do this. I would look to Temple Run for how they do it with their challenges as a template - three challenges for the day, and three for the week - all with increasing prizes for increased difficulty:

Daily:
    - Win a match in PVP or PVE (non-all goon) with all characters over 75% health - Reward: 250 iso8big.png
    - Win a match in PVP or PVE (non-all goon) with all characters over 85% health - Reward: 500 iso8big.png
    - Win a match in PVP or PVE (non-all goon) with all characters over 95% health - Reward: 1000 iso8big.png

Weekly:
    - Get 2000 total points in PVP - Reward: 1000 iso8big.png & 25 heropointsbig.png
    - Get 2500 total points in PVP - Reward: 2500 iso8big.png & 50 heropointsbig.png
    - Get 3000 total points in PVP - Reward: 5000 iso8big.png & 100 heropointsbig.png
    Those PVP points earned would be neat rewards, especially if it only counts how many points you earned and not count the points taken away... it'd be nice to get all of your battle points acknowledged somewhere. Sucks that it takes 1300 points just to score 900.
  • It certainly freshen up the complaints and whining threads. icon_lol.gif
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Read section 5 on dungeon exploring:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=31920&start=40#p397288
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    rbdragon wrote:

Daily:

Weekly:

Darn it, your ideas were better than mine ;.;
  • why HP only for PvP?

heroes too weak -> can't win PvP -> can't earn HP -> stuck forever.
    The stronger players will get stronger, and the weaker will just quit the game because they are too weak to earn anything to make them progress.
  • Side quests could be great, but D3 would have to take advantage of that shiny new analyst and do some research on player psychology or risk killing what's left of their non-top 1% player base.

A quick look at, well, virtually any game that utilizes side quests (Jetpack Joyride being one that comes to mind) shows that side quests need to be either:

1. Something a significant (like, actually significant, not 4-5 guys in an online forum) portion of the player base could finish, or…
    2. Tiered, so high, low, and mid levels all have a reason to try, or in other words, open the game another time, which is frankly the point of a side quest developer/publisher side.

It would be great to have them, but both sides (player/developer) need good reasons for them to exist.

DBC