Best ** Hitter??? Ares, Thor, or Wolvie??

Options
aussiemac
aussiemac Posts: 140 Tile Toppler
edited February 2014 in MPQ Tips and Guides
Curious to get opinion on better ** hitter: Thor, Wolvie, or Ares?? I find Ares better than Wolvie after the nerf, but I haven't used my Thor much (only level 30 but almost have max covers). I'm wondering if I should bother with my Thor or just keep rolling with my Ares and invest in *** heroes (Currently have 53 punisher, 38 mags, 38 doom, 30 hood).

Comments

• PorkBelly
    PorkBelly Posts: 526 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Pluses & minuses to all.

Wolvie if you can get strike tiles going but relatively low health.

Ares yellow is incredible if you max it but green has disadvantages and red is pretty weak.

Thor is probably the best p4p with solid yellow & green powers but I'm running Patch a lot now so I rarely get to use the green. And I don't like his yellow as much as a 1 shot kill as much as Ares.

My 2 cents.
  • If its pure damage (no extras) then A. wolvies red is a beast if maxed.
  • NotYou13
    NotYou13 Posts: 104
    Options
    Personally, I love Ares as a pure hitter. His yellow is big damage and the cooldown tile is generally easily managed to add more damage and mitigate the downside. While his green has a downside too, it's amazing for a final hit if you don't have another more urgent use for green.
  • aussiemac
    aussiemac Posts: 140 Tile Toppler
    Options
    NotYou13 wrote:
    Personally, I love Ares as a pure hitter. His yellow is big damage and the cooldown tile is generally easily managed to add more damage and mitigate the downside. While his green has a downside too, it's amazing for a final hit if you don't have another more urgent use for green.

I agree. That's what I'm finding is that the yellow is such a strong skill (and rare since there aren't very good yellow skills around) that it's making me not want to spend any ISO on other **s. My usual PvP strategy has been to collect red and yellows to take out the support character and total team damage. The red paired with the sunder's countdown is pretty hefty damage. So I can take out 2 characters in a span of 2 turns. By that time I have collected close to enough green to end the match.

Anyone out there have high level Ares and Thor but prefer Thor??
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think Ares and Thor are interchangeable in terms of a solid, tanky dps. I would just go straight into 3* characters.
  • The best ** hitter with out companions, is Ares.

Thor's rule of terror was over.

Forgot about spending ios on thor or ares, wolvie is more usefull
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The only problem with Ares is he doesn't play well with Thor. Ares and Thor are fighting each other for each color, and with Wolvie he combos better with Thor, he takes green and red, while leaving yellow for Thor or Ares, but Thor's yellow feeds back into Wolvie again so those two work out, I find Ares better pairs with (this is 2* only pairing) Storm, OBW and believe it or not Hawkeye, If you set them up right, Hawkeye will dodge for Ares to eat the damage, which by lowering his health makes Red leathal very quickly, you can then use OBW to heal
  • I've really been enjoying fielding my lvl 100 Punisher / 85 Ares / 85 OBW team, even though I have a 100 Patch and 100 Hulk.

Throw down Punisher Green strike tiles, use Punisher black/ares red for solid AOE damage, Ares yellow direct damage, and OBW heals / drains AP.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    SirKopath wrote:
    I've really been enjoying fielding my lvl 100 Punisher / 85 Ares / 85 OBW team, even though I have a 100 Patch and 100 Hulk.

Throw down Punisher Green strike tiles, use Punisher black/ares red for solid AOE damage, Ares yellow direct damage, and OBW heals / drains AP.

Hulk is more of a defensive powerhouse than an offensive one: I typically run Punisher/OBW/Buffed character as my A team, and Punisher/Hulk/Buffed character as my defensive team.
  • As a pure hitter, Ares, shortly followed by Thor then Wolvie far behind.
    Post-patch Wolvie is almost useless (green and yellow ruined; red still does good damage). Then again, never was strictly a hitter but a tank/"buffer"/hitter good mix. Thor is less hitter than before, since yellow is now more board shaking than damage, but is deceiving, given the cascades/combos it allows specially at level 5.
  • I have all 3 maxed out (Wolvie: 5/5/3, Ares 4/4/5, Thor, 4/5/4 - possibly going to respec. Thor to 3/5/5). I run oBW (3/5/5) all the time, so I use Wolverine mostly. Once he drops a couple of strike tiles (I usually wait 'til I have 6 red, so that's 3 strike tiles at 40 damage each) he adds 240 damage to each oBW match (espionage). I'll occasionally use Ares as my third if there isn't a required one and if I need a yellow direct damage. (Other times I'll use spidey for stun power or Punisher for Molotov. I'm really liking Psylocke's black when I have a bunch of strike tiles out though). I almost never find a reason to use Thor.
  • My Wolvie is 5/3/5, so I can't say how good his red is now, but his green feels basically useless.

Thor is an alright character, he's great at being a battery now which is kind of his thing, but he's no longer an offensive powerhouse.

Ares is by far the most offensive 2*. All 3 of his abilities deal tons of damage, and their drawbacks are minor. He's tanky, and even gains a nice bonus to his red while he's low on health. His biggest weakness is sustained damage in longer fights; his abilities are kind of expensive, so they're difficult to get off twice, and his green can be awkward if you're not using it as a finisher.
  • Ares is the best offensive character out of this batch but the drawback for Onslaught is significant. You should only use it if the opposing team does not have a very dangerous move to use on green, and since green powers are almost always dangerous, this usually means you'd need the opposing team to not have a green power user. Of course, if you can kill the green user with Onslaught, that works too.

Wolverine's green is still quite solid. It's slower than Daken like how it's supposed to be (because Daken has no activated skill at all) but the damage it does is respectable. It's not always easy to have the right mix of red/green to make it work (need to hold at least 6 red to make it work well).

Thor is more of a combo person now and should be paired up with characters that have a strong green. He is also useful against Patch since Thunder Strike basically wipes out Berserker Rage tiles for the opposing team.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I misread this thread as being about the best 2* Hitler.

Which, you know, I guess I'd go with Hate Monger?
  • Ares is probably the strongest, with Wolvie probably the weakest. The old healing factor made Wolverine very effective on offense, especially leading, but the new one is just too squishy - I end up using him as secondary, making sure he's taking little to no damage. When I use him he's usually only there for his red and to mop up if Ares gets knocked out.

Ares has skills that can be devastating but are a little tricky to use optimally. Once you get the hang of them, they can all be incredibly effective.
  • Phaserhawk
    Options
    Well it can depend on your build, but lets go with the new preferred Wolvie 5/5/3, Thor 3/5/5, Ares 4/4/5.

Lets Assume you have enough AP to cast everything Once.

Wolverine: 520 and make 7 Strike tiles at 40 Dmg, Red will be 2884 + 280 = 3164 + 520 for 3684
    Thor: 3426 to current target and 1001 to others, however his red and yellow can create a cascade so his damage can be higher
    Ares: Is harder to calculate, but lets say 6 AP Green=1242, + 757, +2003 = 4002
    if he is below his health limit, then 4758
    If his cd tile goes off add another 890 Damage.

As you can see Ares can do massive amounts of more damage, but.....his damage is all conditional. Green is the only know, since its based off of how much Green you have, but Red is either 757 or 1513 depending on your health, and Yellow has a big draw back of hurting you, however it helps you set up Red.

Intersting note 12 Green AP. Ares:2484 Damage Wolvie:1320, that's assuming max strike tiles. As you can see either Ares is too strong or they really over nerfed Wolvie. I'm leaning towards the overnerf of Wolvie as Ares feels farily balanced.
  • I never had Thor high enough to test him properly and since I learned he was going to be nerfed soon I never leveled him. I sold him and Wolverine when I was given the opportunity and started building him again (he is 1/3/1). Ares is maxed at 4/4/5 and I absolutely love him. Teamed with OBW and Punisher he was the only reason I managed to beat the 230lv Hulk I met in the Simulator (I think it was that event).

Phaserhawk's analysis is very useful but it is made with the assumption you can use each ability once. Damage seems to be comparable, but this is only because Thor requires more AP for his abilities.
    Below you can see what happens if we give each hero the same AP of each color. (equal to the most expensive ability). This would be 10 red AP (Ares), 12 yellow AP (Thor) and 14 green AP (Thor).

Thor: 3426 to current enemy and 2x 1001 = 5428 (I am borrowing the numbers from Phaserhawk' post)
    He will also have 2 red AP remaining.

Ares: 2898 (from green) + 2671 (from yellow) + 3x 757 = 7840 or 6326 to current enemy and 2x 757
    He will also have 2 yellow AP remaining.

So for the same cost he deals 2900 more damage to the current enemy and 2x 244 less damage to the other enemies. Of course, Ares can deal additional damage from cascades however these are not certain and occasionally can help the opponent too if the board is filled with green and they have a strong green ability. Since I prefer focusing down a single target before moving to the next, I prefer Ares. Teamed with Punisher he is amazing against high health AI opponents. If you also have OBW on the team to feed him AP, he becomes so easy to use. When I was facing a 21k Hulk he managed to deal 10k damage (6k from green and 4k from yellow) in one turn. Hulk was already down to 15-16k and Punisher finished him for the win.
  • Phaserhawk
    Options
    I think Ares might be my favorite 2* other than OBW. Although I actually like the new version of Thor better than the older version, except for the lack of yellow tile generation on red, that was a big hit. Wolverine was overly gutted, his yellow needs to be reworked, I touched on this in another thread. Wolvie does have the gift that keeps on giving with his strike tiles, but even that caps out eventually since there are only so many red tiles out on a board at once.
  • Ares's green should be considered doing half damage unless you killed their only green user with Onslaught, or that they have no green users to begin with, because it's pretty much guaranteed that the opposing team will immediately use those green back at you if they have any surviving green users.
  • Phantron wrote:
    Ares's green should be considered doing half damage unless you killed their only green user with Onslaught, or that they have no green users to begin with, because it's pretty much guaranteed that the opposing team will immediately use those green back at you if they have any surviving green users.

That argument only makes sense on PVP-AI defense or with an idiot playing. You're "unless" situation is actually how the vast majority play him.
    It's still rare for games to last long enough to really hit 30 green ap, so the ap isn't wasted as the buildup for the killshot happens.