Poll: Maximum $ you could see spending on 4*s

wirius
wirius Posts: 667
edited October 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Yes, there is no 0$ option. That's because this isn't catering to the people who won't spend money, its catering to the people who ARE willing to spend money. Take the poll first, then come back please.
Ok, now I want you to think about how much a game costs in time and money to develop. Games take anywhere from 2-3 years, and can have budget of millions of dollars with thousands of man hours slaved away to develop that. At most they charge about 60$. How long did it take to develop that 4* character from an already established engine? How many man hours went into developing that character alone? Does this make you want to change your answer, or are you still satisfied with your purchase?
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• I vote for $0.

I've spent money on roster slots. The equivalent of a full retail game, I think. I can't see spending money on covers. Maybe spending HP, but only if it's just sitting in a stockpile doing nothing.
  • I just spent 20$ to finish my Jean Grey and now there are rumors that Jean Grey is being scrutinized (and eyed for a nerf).

I.e.: This purple-green trail/ let's see who else is still using Jean Grey in PVP. NOT COOL

If they nerf JG, after being the character I finally found the courage to spend on after Thoress, MPQ and I are through. "its not you its me" ~ NOT
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    I voted for 20$ assuming it includes ISO.

(Btw, your Steam sale price at 20$ is high. More like $9,95)
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wait, the price of a Steam sale game is $20? What sad and depressing universe are you posting this from?
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think 7-8 dollars is more reasonable when you consider you can't play 1 character.

10 bucks feels alright.

20 Seems a bit of a push but an improvement over what it is now.

Everything Higher is simply too much considering you've got to get the character before you can buy them.

I'm mainly thinking in sets of 3 and the fact that 4 stars struggle against 5's.

Why drop the cost of a new triple AAA pc/console title on a team of characters that are on the way out?
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    There probably should be options for $5, $10, and "I'm not spending a dime on this game ever again."

For me, after the anniversary, even $20 would be more than I'm willing to give them for one character. I just bought Shadows of Mordor on Steam for $18. They at least have to do better than that. I'd do $20 for a full team of 3.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2015
    I've only done It once, 3 HB covers, so I went with $40*

*This was done mostly with hp earned playing
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    fmftint wrote:
    I've only done It once, 3 HB covers, so I went with $40
    The post was less about what you've done and ideally what you think the current value of maxing a 4 star should be.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Assuming the current state of affairs where you need a cover to improve it, then 10 covers for $20 sounds ok-ish to me. I don't really pay money for games anymore, so I'm fine with waiting to collect the covers myself.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    i spent 8750 hp on 3*s when i started that transition and I've spent 2500 hp on one hb red. was considering another in the future as my jean is slowly getting there (4/2/2 now). with the scrutiny on jean now, maybe no. really subjective on your level of disposable income and love of the game. i could see lots of $$ for those with large amounts of extra money. not too many of those around, but they are out there. largest amount i could see anyone spending is probably in the several hundreds. largest for me is probably 10K hp max, but not all at once - only for specific strategic covers.
  • BillyBobJoe
    BillyBobJoe Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    I bought the remaining covers of X-Force Wolverine when he got buffed. I think it was 5 covers.

I bought the last 3 covers of Thor Goddess of Thunder because I was impatient.

Then they both got nerfed.

I won't buy another 4* cover for two reasons:
    1) I'm afraid the character will be nerfed. I would have bought the covers for Professor X (because he has been soooo close to being maxed for soooo long) but I was always afraid that they would nerf him too.

2) They are going to be pumping out a new 4* every month that is going to be bigger and badder and so any investment into a character will be a short term gain. (Hulkbuster is awesome? Here's Jean Grey. Maxed her? Here's Iceman. Iceman doing well for you? Here's Red Hulk.)
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't really know what you're gunning for.

If the question is "How much would you spend on 4* covers at current price?", I'd spend up to $100. I've yet to actually do that (max I've spent is $33 via Steam sale for 4 PX covers), but I'd be willing to if I became frustrated enough.

If the question is "What should 10 covers of a 4 star cost?", that's a different question. I'd probably spend up to $50.

I think your question is really the latter but can't be sure.

About your later point, I don't really care about the effort a company puts in to a game. That doesn't affect my life. I care about my personal entertainment value for that cost. If spending $100 for a maxed Jean Grey provides me hundreds/thousands of hours of entertainment, that has considerably more value to me than the $60 Final Fantasy game that might give me 100 hours of entertainment over the life of the game.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 693 Critical Contributor
    $10

I have spent around $25 on the game total.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    Grantosium wrote:
    I vote for $0.

I've spent money on roster slots. The equivalent of a full retail game, I think. I can't see spending money on covers. Maybe spending HP, but only if it's just sitting in a stockpile doing nothing.

3 months ago i would spend money on 4 star covers but now how some can get up to 20 4 stars per season dont see a reason to buy covers when you will never be able to catch up.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Please read the OP Carefully before posting.. if your answer is 0.. then this thread is not the one you are looking for.... go troll and gripe elsewhere..
  • firethorne
    Malcrof wrote:
    Please read the OP Carefully before posting.. if your answer is 0.. then this thread is not the one you are looking for.... go troll and gripe elsewhere..

Fair. But with that said, I still think the poll data is questionable because 0, or anything in the $1 to $19 isn't an option. How many people who are willing to spend, but think $10 is the reasonable number, are voting $20 when that really isn't the case because what they really want isn't listed?
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    firethorne wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:

Fair. But with that said, I still think the poll data is questionable because 0, or anything in the $1 to $19 isn't an option. How many people who are willing to spend, but think $10 is the reasonable number, are voting $20 when that really isn't the case because what they really want isn't listed?

The price of a 4* cover is 2500hp, the min purchase that will get you enough HP in 1 purchase is the 19.99 ($20) one.
  • firethorne
    Malcrof wrote:
    The price of a 4* cover is 2500hp, the min purchase that will get you enough HP in 1 purchase is the 19.99 ($20) one.

I thought the poll was for a theoretical fully covered character, not just 1 cover. If we're going to present a poll for a situation that doesn't exist, not making an option for all outcomes presents the fallacy of false dilemma. Just saying, my stats professor probably would have failed me if I turned in a poll like that.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Having spent way too much money on this game, I have disabled in app purchases on my iPhone under restrictions and changed the password to something random that I don't know.

We will see if not having the new shiny all the time increases my enjoyment of the game. icon_e_smile.gif
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    isnt this mostly a moot point now with the people who can hit 1300 get 4 stars like candy and if the Crafting system is really going to happen.

back in the day though i could see tossing 50 for a fully covered 4 star.

though i will admit i have really given though about buying 9 covers to max cover Red hulk, BUT you know what happens when you do that.. The next person they bring out will have better attacks and you will be like.. MAN I SHOULD OF WAITED icon_e_smile.gif