MPQ At Marvel.com: X-23 (All-New Wolverine) Incoming!

David [Hi-Fi] Moore
David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
edited October 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
MPQ fans,

You've likely heard about X-23 (All-New Wolverine)'s imminent arrival in Marvel Puzzle Quest - but haven't had any details to go in - until now!

Fly over to Marvel.com posthaste for the lowdown on Laura Kinney in a talk with MPQ producer, Joe Fletcher. Awesome preview screenshots & power peeks are available for perusal.

You can also find out about the special Cosplay Covers arriving in MPQ just in time for Halloween!

You can READ IT HERE.

PIECING TOGETHER MARVEL PUZZLE QUEST: ALL-NEW WOLVERINE
Quote:
"Marvel.com: What was the coordination like with Marvel Publishing since the character is so new and has not even debuted in the comics yet?

Joe Fletcher: As per usual, the Publishing staff has been on point with any questions and resources we needed. Concept art, abilities, all the stuff that we needed to make sure that Laura won’t just look her best, but that she’ll have the feel of the character that you see on the comics pages. After that, it’s a matter of multiple check-ins as we implemented her to make sure our in-house art was on point and the Puzzle Quest-ized abilities still felt like a good round of her character. We’re very pleased with the result."

Comments

• eaise
    eaise Posts: 217 Tile Toppler
    Noticed a couple things
    1st: her green does 548 damage with one cover at level 70
    2nd: once you get 9 red her green changes for the rest of the match and doesn't change back when you use the red AP
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    From the interview, purple can drop to a cost of 6 if enough strike tiles are out. If the damage is high this could be fantastic.
  • JordonLee
    JordonLee Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    Bloody love the new cosplay covers. They're awesome haha.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    aura Kinney as the All-New Wolverine will debut in Marvel Puzzle Quest this Wednesday, October 28th.

What event is that.. Thought nothing new until Thursday the 29th
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    slidecage wrote:
    aura Kinney as the All-New Wolverine will debut in Marvel Puzzle Quest this Wednesday, October 28th.

Where do you see this?
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    slidecage wrote:

Where do you see this?
    http://toucharcade.com/2015/10/26/marve ... ra-kinney/

probally just another mistake on that boards dates
  • emaker27
    emaker27 Posts: 285 Mover and Shaker
    Players that enjoy using Daredevil’s Ambush will also love this move. Akin to Ambush, it’s also effective when matched by the player, dealing a still decent amount of damage and also placing a Strike tile on the board.
    Who are these players?! icon_eek.gif
  • timbopp
    timbopp Posts: 88
    emaker27 wrote:
    Players that enjoy using Daredevil’s Ambush will also love this move. Akin to Ambush, it’s also effective when matched by the player, dealing a still decent amount of damage and also placing a Strike tile on the board.

Me.
    I like Ambush. Daredevil paired with Cyclops is a lot of fun to use to flood the board with Ambush trap tiles. I really like the reset feature when I match one, so much so that it's sometimes disappointing when the enemy matches it even though it usually one shots them or close to it.
  • emaker27 wrote:

Me.
    Not really PVP viable, but amazing in PVE.
    3* Cyclops, Daredevil, Loki. Slow in some of the same ways that Cap/IM40/Hood is, but it destroys pretty much everything.
    Also solid on wave nodes, purple can take care of leftover enemy strikes or you can cycle the board with Loki. You can usually get a stun chain going as well with DD blue and very often entire waves will die off without getting a move out.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    timbopp wrote:
    emaker27 wrote:

Me.
    I like Ambush. Daredevil paired with Cyclops is a lot of fun to use to flood the board with Ambush trap tiles. I really like the reset feature when I match one, so much so that it's sometimes disappointing when the enemy matches it even though it usually one shots them or close to it.

Man you must be very lonely. I cannot think of anyone else who likes to spend 10 AP in a power that maybe, just maybe will give you some benefit in an uncertain future. In my two years of playing I think that ONCE, the opponent matched the tile the turn right after I placed the tile. And overall, I think that the opponent matching the trap happens like 15-20% of the times? The rest of times the trap gets...

- matched by myself once and/or then...
    - destroyed by means other than a match (around 15% of the times)
    - overwritten by an opposing special tile (25% of the times)
    - placed in one of the bottom rows where it will never be matched for the rest of the game (40-50% of times).

If you are bringing Cyclops why not use /his/ red? 4k+ damage immediately plus slightly altering the board is pretty sweet, and it costs the same.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    So you got information from the writers as to what her character and such is and how her abilities work.

Why then is 4* Thor so completely unlike her comic book counterpart? o_0
  • poomermon
    poomermon Posts: 300 Mover and Shaker
    Her green does 548 dmg at lvl 1 and 767 dmg at lvl 2. That is a similar jump like carnage red gets. Extrapolating from that I'm going to guess it does pre-nerf x-force wolverine green level of damage at max level (4k+).
  • timbopp
    timbopp Posts: 88
    Pylgrim wrote:
    timbopp wrote:
    emaker27 wrote:

Me.

Man you must be very lonely. I cannot think of anyone else who likes to spend 10 AP in a power that maybe, just maybe will give you some benefit in an uncertain future. In my two years of playing I think that ONCE, the opponent matched the tile the turn right after I placed the tile. And overall, I think that the opponent matching the trap happens like 15-20% of the times? The rest of times the trap gets...

- placed in one of the bottom rows where it will never be matched for the rest of the game (40-50% of times).

If you are bringing Cyclops why not use /his/ red? 4k+ damage immediately plus slightly altering the board is pretty sweet, and it costs the same.

To each his own. So you disagree, no need to be a language about it.
    Daredevil isn't in my A teams. Cyclops is. Using the same characters and same powers and same tactics over and over gets boring. Mixing it up is more fun. Yeah I could use Cyclops' red but I could also use his yellow which floods the board with red (which I did specify in my post) and pretty much negates all your listed cons.

Mod Edit: Language
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ambush is awesome, and I like flooding the board with strike tiles. Looks like Laura is right up my alley.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    I luv doing Laken/Wolf combos. I see this trend continuing in the near future. icon_e_ugeek.gif
  • Pylgrim
    timbopp wrote:

To each his own. So you disagree, no need to be alanguage about it.
    Daredevil isn't in my A teams. Cyclops is. Using the same characters and same powers and same tactics over and over gets boring. Mixing it up is more fun. Yeah I could use Cyclops' red but I could also use his yellow which floods the board with red (which I did specify in my post) and pretty much negates all your listed cons.

I was not trying to be a language... well at least not to you, I guess I was being it to MPQ Daredevil, because I really like the character and I hate that they made him so conditional and risky to play in MPQ and I'm very disappointed that they keep using that mechanic in new characters. At the very least they should fix the overwriting of traps by enemy tiles, don't you agree?

I completely understand that playing with the same character over and over can get boring but still... in a game with matchmaking and scoring mechanics as cutthroat as MPQ is, not doing the most efficient thing available (especially if the alternative is as unreliable as Ambush is (even in a board flooded with red, the trap may still be placed in an unmatchable tile)) is just opening a window to be attacked for 100+ in the meantime, or risking a defeat which is a crippling loss of time, points and health packs, etc.

Again, I apologise if I came off as aggressive to you, I just really want them to fix him and Elektra or at the very least stop adding that mechanic to new characters and I guess that I felt that I needed to minimise your support for the character as it threatens that goal.

Mod Edit: language
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 628 Critical Contributor
    Pylgrim wrote:
    I was not trying to be a language... well at least not to you, I guess I was being it to MPQ Daredevil, because I really like the character and I hate that they made him so conditional and risky to play in MPQ and I'm very disappointed that they keep using that mechanic in new characters. At the very least they should fix the overwriting of traps by enemy tiles, don't you agree? [snip] I just really want them to fix him and Elektra or at the very least stop adding that mechanic to new characters and I guess that I felt that I needed to minimise your support for the character as it threatens that goal.

While I'm not the OP you're replying to, thanks for the clarification, Pylgrim -- and I completely agree with your entire post here.

I personally love Ambush & DD as a whole (moreso since his very-needed buffs last Christmas), partly for sentimental reasons (he was my first *** cover, and first max-covered ***) but also as I do quite enjoy the slower and more puzzle-y playstyle of manipulating the enemy into matching that tile -- or, carefully using Bullseye's green to set up a crit/cascade, and other planning-ahead mechanics that are fun to me but obviously not ideal when I want to bring one of my A-teams for top tier play.

Enemies not being able to overwrite trap tiles with specials would be a huge and welcome improvement to DD and Elektra -- or, at the very least, they could diversify strike tile colors a bit more and stop having them go predominantly on red.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pylgrim wrote:
    I was not trying to be a language... well at least not to you, I guess I was being it to MPQ Daredevil, because I really like the character and I hate that they made him so conditional and risky to play in MPQ and I'm very disappointed that they keep using that mechanic in new characters. At the very least they should fix the overwriting of traps by enemy tiles, don't you agree? [snip] I just really want them to fix him and Elektra or at the very least stop adding that mechanic to new characters and I guess that I felt that I needed to minimise your support for the character as it threatens that goal.

While I'm not the OP you're replying to, thanks for the clarification, Pylgrim -- and I completely agree with your entire post here.

I personally love Ambush & DD as a whole (moreso since his very-needed buffs last Christmas), partly for sentimental reasons (he was my first *** cover, and first max-covered ***) but also as I do quite enjoy the slower and more puzzle-y playstyle of manipulating the enemy into matching that tile -- or, carefully using Bullseye's green to set up a crit/cascade, and other planning-ahead mechanics that are fun to me but obviously not ideal when I want to bring one of my A-teams for top tier play.

Enemies not being able to overwrite trap tiles with specials would be a huge and welcome improvement to DD and Elektra -- or, at the very least, they could diversify strike tile colors a bit more and stop having them go predominantly on red.

Being able to over-write trap tiles also takes away from the defense against these chars in PVP and PVE. Bringing in Daken when fighting DD or Elektra is useful, or any other person who can over-write. Also, take away the ability to over-write trap tiles... and where do you put anything if caltrops has filled the board.

I do love DD/Cyc, used it to take care of many high level Gauntlet boards while my roster was still being built.. it is very effective.. until you get more powerful people. But if DD is boosted and Cyc is not, i will pick his trap tiles any day, and bring cyc to set them off for myself.
  • Pylgrim
    Malcrof wrote:
    Being able to over-write trap tiles also takes away from the defense against these chars in PVP and PVE. Bringing in Daken when fighting DD or Elektra is useful, or any other person who can over-write. Also, take away the ability to over-write trap tiles... and where do you put anything if caltrops has filled the board.

I'd fully agree with your first argument if both DD and Elektra were top tier characters that needed additional counteraction to be reliably defeated. But as I'm sure you'll agree, they are middle-ground characters at best. The only thing that you need to defeat them reliable is using any of the many superior characters in the game. Being able to counteract one of their main mechanics make them go from an easy challenge to a laughable and entirely welcome cakewalk that will give you points while barely diminishing the health of your characters.

As for Caltrops, they are a problematic ability regardless of your ability to counteract it, as it's been brought up in the forums many times. If it's to improve some characters that really could use the buff, reworking an already broken ability of a goon should not be much sacrifice.
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Pylgrim wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:

I'd fully agree with your first argument if both DD and Elektra were top tier characters that needed additional counteraction to be reliably defeated. But as I'm sure you'll agree, they are middle-ground characters at best. The only thing that you need to defeat them reliable is using any of the many superior characters in the game. Being able to counteract one of their main mechanics make them go from an easy challenge to a laughable and entirely welcome cakewalk that will give you points while barely diminishing the health of your characters.

As for Caltrops, they are a problematic ability regardless of your ability to counteract it, as it's been brought up in the forums many times. If it's to improve some characters that really could use the buff, reworking an already broken ability of a goon should not be much sacrifice.

The way I see it, the problem then is not with the mechanic of traps but the specific powers that Daredevil and Elektra have that use them. They can be buffed in other ways, by reducing cost, increasing number of traps and colors on which they can land and the like, while still leaving the one sure way to defend against these or some other future trap producing powers by spamming the board with your own special tiles.