Why do you play MPQ?

2»

Comments

• GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    I play Marvel Puzzle Quest because it's a fun time sink. There's enough moving pieces to think about team compositions, it's fun to think about potential releases and what they could do, the premise of the game is pretty entertaining (blasting the tinykitty outta people with Marvel heros? yeahhhhh!).

Really the bottom line is that I can sit and play MPQ for as long or short as I want where ever I am because matches take minutes and I don't feel like a slave to a daily task list like some other games. I can't do that with a lot of other games - I can't do that with League of Legends (matches take anywhere from twenty minutes to over an hour and you always have to be ready for the fact it could be an hour game), I don't want to do that with most console games because you never accomplish anything of value (RPGs especially, which are my genre of choice), and a lot of mobile games if you're not doing all your daily chores and all that jazz you're not getting anything at all (plus there's competitive aspects).

Yeah, transitioning is a real bummer when you think about it, but I'm not playing a mobile game to become a Pokemon Master, I'm playing it to entertain myself and to occupy my time when a "real" entertainment platform isn't available (and when I'm at work icon_lol.gif).
  • Krongle
    Krongle Posts: 73 Match Maker
    Searched the internet for F2P games with good business models and saw MPQ at the top of a list (or close to the top) and decided to download it. I really like seemingly simplistic games, and games that don't take too much time to play (though I do appreciate sitting down and sinking my teeth into a game for possibly unhealthy amounts of time). Ironically it's now one of the games I play most during any given week. Also sunk costs, as many others have said.
  • Bishop
    Bishop Posts: 130 Tile Toppler
    Because it's the only game I play. And it's a love, hate relationship icon_lol.gif. And 2 words...Marvel universe!
  • I am a functioning MPQ addict with no hope for recovery.

You reached step 1.
  • Lee T
    Lee T Posts: 318
    I love match-3 and the RPG puzzle quest take on it. I like the marvel universe enough to forgive that this game barely as any of the puzzle quest RPG take in it. Also I'm a collector so I knew I was in for the long haul from the start.

However, I'm a gamer first and foremost and I enjoy playing gameS (voluntary cap on the S), and as a collector I like to progress.

Right now I see me quitting in the next few months, probably before the year ends if nothing in the game changes.

It currently takes way too much of my gaming time for a way to slow progression.
  • MarvelDestiny
    MarvelDestiny Posts: 198 Tile Toppler
    I play because I love the Marvel Universe. I would like to see more storyline variety to complement all the characters (although my favs are decades old, both characters and storylines). It's not likely to happen but it would be nice.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think we all started because of the marvel heroes. And while they are what entice us, the idea of playing with our favorite heros in matches, half the time you're forced to use whoever is top tier and wait all the months/ years it will take to get your favorite, and you'd better hope spiderman isn't your favorite.

Or silver surfer, unless you've got tons of money.
  • Ram51
    Ram51 Posts: 117
    I initially played MPQ because I loved the original Puzzle Quest on PSP. Also a fan of Marvel characters, so this game was a match made in heaven for me. Plus I was burned out with Hearthstone.

At the present I am still playing because from reading other people's experiences in this forum I realized that I have been very lucky and fast in my progression. Even though I started after the 1st Anniversary I am well on my way to 4* progression, with currently 1 maxed 4*, two fully covered at level 229, most at 6-10 covers. DDQ and great alliances also kept me hooked in this game when I would otherwise have quit.

Still, I must admit that I am losing interest in the daily grind required for this game. And just like MPQ replaced my previous addiction to Hearthstone, I can foresee myself quitting MPQ cold turkey for a new game.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    really enjoyed puzzle quest galactrix on psn

looked for something similar, played puzzle quest 2 and after that i was looking for something to kill time - im playing on my way to work, on my way home and whenever im ... using the restrooms.

im at a point where i really enjoy the game - have almost every 3* which i care to cover, so throw a 3* cover my way and its almost guaranteed i can use it. there are maybe 4 powers i have maxed in all of my 3*s.