Why do you play MPQ?

Good game good concept but lacks rewards. At first while the game was developing I could understand the lack of rewards and the uncertainty of what to do next. But now there is no excuse it is really hard for a well transitioned 3 star roster to rank and earn rewards. The expectation is too high. It could literally take a year for new players to be well transitioned into the 3 star world. So my question to you is why do you still play? Are you hoping for change?
Only reason I'm asking is because I don't know why I still play. Even though I have not played yesterday or today yet!

I did start paying Future Fight but I'm not sure if it could replace this yet!

Mod Edit: Changed title to reflect content

Comments

• Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sunk Cost Fallacy.

That's why most of us play. That and our alliances.
  • hurcules
    hurcules Posts: 519
    Pokemonitis.
  • I feel like I've answered this question a million times, both in the forum, among alliance mates, former players, "real life" friends, family, colleagues, but it's good to revisit it.

For me, I absolutely LOVE the match 3 mechanic, and I enjoy Marvel heroes. Period.

Despite all the things D3 throws at me, paying to roster heroes (?), HP & ISO shortages, bizarre scoring/scaling/MMR mechanics in both PvE & PvP, etc., I like the core of the game, and as long as I can find something worth playing (DDQ sans the 4* node, some PvP, G2 & A-M events), I'll stick around.

MPQ is basically Candy Crush for more "brutal-metal-hardcore" folks that also happen to enjoy men in tights, and I'm OK with being a part of that group. icon_e_wink.gificon_lol.gif

DBC
  • It is better than the alternative....

Kicking puppies.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's free. Features marvel characters, a puzzle element and also pushes the 'collectivist' button in many peoples heads.

I have gripes with aspects of it but on the whole it's a good game with no ads and no forced expenditures. The things attainable by whales are also attainable by everyone else without spending, it just takes a longer time span. Not many other games can say that.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Years ago I played Puzzle Quest 2, a few phones later I searched Google Play and found MPQ. It wasn't the Puzzle Quest I was expecting but they have a bankable property, and they know it
  • nwman
    nwman Posts: 331 Mover and Shaker
    I enjoyed puzzle quest on Xbox 360. I realized hey maybe there are mobile versions and found this game.

I enjoy the game usually but the devs do some crazy things (galactus 1, ultron 2) and sometimes I'm ready to rage quit but alliance friends and sunk cost fallacy keep me going.

I prob would just stop for a week or 2 and not delete if/when that rage becomes too much, due to sunk costs.
  • Thanks to all who replied. But I still don't know why I play lol.

I really do appreciate the answers.
  • nwman
    nwman Posts: 331 Mover and Shaker
    Why did you start to play might be a good question then
  • emaker27
    emaker27 Posts: 285 Mover and Shaker
    I started to play because of match 3 and Marvel.

I continued playing for the next year because the character transition from 1* to 3* was fun and manageable.

I continued playing the next year for the bigger events and DDQ.

I continue playing now due to sunk costs. Albeit, I only truly play in events where I want a reward.
  • smoq84
    smoq84 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    I love Marvel and this game gives me a lot of fun.
    I'm also collector type - gathering new characters, covers, gaining levels - I like this.

And I can play during my way to work. At the moment I think I could stop playing MPQ only if some new and better Marvel game on Android appeared.
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    I'm usually playing two games any given week: the one that requires most of my attention (Skyrim, Witcher 3), and the one I play while listening to the radio/podcasts, or half-watching the tv shows I only half watch. MPQ fits the second category perfectly. Why do I choose it over Plants vs Zombies or Fallout Shelter, or just regular Bejeweled or Candy Crush? I don't know! Part of it is surely the superheroes, and a lot of it is probably the collecting. The little dopamine hit you get when you open a token and it's flashing gold.
  • Nightglider1
    Nightglider1 Posts: 703 Critical Contributor
    It's free, whereas I'd have to pay a dominatrix.
  • It's free, whereas I'd have to pay a dominatrix.

Is that the art of placing dominoes in a matrix?
  • I really like the core gameplay of strategizing taking turns matching and waiting patiently for the optimal time to use powers. I was a big fan of the first Puzzle Quest (played on PC) and was very excited when I saw two brands I liked joined together: Marvel and Puzzle Quest.

I don't play competitively. While on a rare occasion I'll play a lot to reach certain PVE or PVP goals, I'm happy to play for about 20-30 minutes a day or watching a TV show with my wife. I get in, get my SHIELD reward (day 720), play a couple of other matches, and then get out. I really like having boosted 3*s because it gives me variety in play styles instead of the same 3 or 4 characters. I am very patient and don't feel compelled to get all the 4*s to keep up with the meta game. The meta game is boring to me (alliance goals, shield hopping, lightning rounds for iso, grinding, grinding, grinding in PVE). The one exception to this is 4*s DDQ. I love the challenge of the one-on-one fights but I get grumpy when my 4* is woefully undercovered. DDQ is not my path to 4* transition but my reason to do so as I've forced myself to hit 1000 progression in PVP so my characters stand a chance in the DDQ fight. Unfortunately, the next couple of months look near impossible as my roster is thin with covers (1 to 3 for most remaining characters).
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    I started playing because I love Marvel, I kept playing because I enjoy the gameplay and strategy. I also like its competitive nature.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    fmftint wrote:
    Years ago I played Puzzle Quest 2, a few phones later I searched Google Play and found MPQ. It wasn't the Puzzle Quest I was expecting but they have a bankable property, and they know it

Pretty much this for me too. Was looking for a PC game since my console game time dramatically shifted. Found MPQ on Steam, blackout, woke up 611 days later.

Though the #2 answer is "US government outlawed online poker."
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Saw it, read about it, didn't jump in until some other game offered me in-game currency for downloading it. Wish I'd jumped in sooner. I'm still less than a year in and feel like I'm doing pretty well.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    found mpq when another match-3 game stopped updating. it was completely non-competitive just a time filler. the rpg aspects of this with the marvel characters had me hooked from the get-go. 3 things I love - match-3, rpg, superheroes. I too wish I had found it much sooner (started after the first anniversary). like all similar games, the one's who've played the longest generally have the most stuff.
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    I am a functioning MPQ addict with no hope for recovery.