Problem with "strongest color"

vudu3
vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
edited October 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Lately the "strongest color" mechanic has been acting wonky and I'm not sure if it's a feature of a bug.

Last week I was using PX/GSBW/Daken. GSBW and Daken are max level and PX is 209. GSBW was in the middle so the team's strongest color should have been purple but PX's Master Plan generated black AP. Daken was not buffed.

Today, during LR I was using a team of max Loki/Doom/cMags. Loki was in the middle so the team's strongest color should have been purple but when the AI used Fisk Defense it destroyed blue AP.

Did the devs update the strongest color mechanic so it chooses at random all colors that are at the same level? Or is this just a bug?

Comments

• I was having the same problem during the "Red-Eye" event with 4Cyc's Yellow. I was using boosted Patch and Grocket, so green and yellow were tied for strongest. I purposely put Patch on the left so he'd be in front, but Cyc's yellow seemed to be randomly giving me either greens or yellows. Obviously I wanted greens so that was rather annoying.
  • Gowaderacer
    Gowaderacer Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    This is by far the most requested feature for devs to add and in my opinion the easiest to fix. Just put an icon in the top right and top left corner of the screen with the tile that is the strongest color for each team. Done and done.
  • dider152
    dider152 Posts: 263
    Unfortunately the devs seem to be more interested in profits and less interested in actually making the game comprehensive. We've seen that already in some of their design choices.
  • This is by far the most requested feature for devs to add...
    Pretty sure "20-Iso" is the most requested fix. But I'd like this one too. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • I always wondered how it chose the strongest color when you're fight mobs or someone like galactus where all of they're colors have the same strength. I know galactus was blue by using surgical strike but I'm not sure how to tell that before hand.
  • Gowaderacer
    Gowaderacer Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    Magisse wrote:
    This is by far the most requested feature for devs to add...
    Pretty sure "20-Iso" is the most requested fix. But I'd like this one too. icon_mrgreen.gif

True, but this is less a "feature" request and more a request for the devs to stop giving us the middle finger icon_e_wink.gif
  • Tilesmasher
    Tilesmasher Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    I had the same problem, please make this easier to figure out!
  • Magisse wrote:
    This is by far the most requested feature for devs to add...

I thought the most requested item was more nodes with buff juggs and goons.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've been fooling with QS/IF/PX and it seems to randomly give black or green when Master Plan goes off as well.
  • GritsNGravy
    GritsNGravy Posts: 114 Tile Toppler
    Yes, this has been a problem for a while and the more abilities that rely on strongest color, the more frustrating there isn't an in game 100% way to know. Please fix!

My suggestion, put a circle around the strongest color for each side on the current AP counter element.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have a strong feeling, there is a fix coming to address this in the near future.... icon_e_smile.gif
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    This is probably a way to fix the wininfinite with SW and GSBW. Now you will randomly get what the strongest color is. Because they found that it was so much more fun to not know what you are getting in their "extensive" play testing.
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    turul wrote:
    I have a strong feeling, there is a fix coming to address this in the near future.... icon_e_smile.gif

I miss your strong feelings turul. icon_lol.gif If they fail to deliver in updating the Sneak Peek thread, would you come out of spoiler retirement?
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    grunth13 wrote:
    This is probably a way to fix the wininfinite with SW and GSBW. Now you will randomly get what the strongest color is. Because they found that it was so much more fun to not know what you are getting in their "extensive" play testing.
    If the change is intended it won't fix the never-ending combo of PX/SW/GSBW because both SW and GSBW have purple as their strongest color. It breaks pretty much everything but winfinite!
  • This might help a little.....

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=30394
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes, this has been a problem for a while and the more abilities that rely on strongest color, the more frustrating there isn't an in game 100% way to know. Please fix!

My suggestion, put a circle around the strongest color for each side on the current AP counter element.

This is the easiest way to do this in the current UI and makes a lot of sense.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    GREEN! GREEN IS THE STRONGEST ONE THERE IS!
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    vudu3 wrote:
    grunth13 wrote:
    If the change is intended it won't fix the never-ending combo of PX/SW/GSBW because both SW and GSBW have purple as their strongest color. It breaks pretty much everything but winfinite!

What I'm saying is that it will give randomly the strongest color for any character...sometimes that will be px...sometimes purple, sometimes px strongest color.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    grunth13 wrote:
    What I'm saying is that it will give randomly the strongest color for any character...
    Sounds like the usual sort of all-pain/no-gain change that the devs install that make life miserable for the player. Have you submitted your resume' yet?
  • I always wondered how it chose the strongest color when you're fight mobs or someone like galactus where all of they're colors have the same strength. I know galactus was blue by using surgical strike but I'm not sure how to tell that before hand.

Generally speaking, Goons and Bosses strongest colors are the same as whatever their first power is. Goons that have one power, that is their strongest. Goons that have more than one, it's always the color on the left. I can't say that this is uniformly true with certainty, but in my experience with the game I have yet to see anything different.

As to the mechanics of Strongest Color in general, some kind of indicator would be amazingly beneficial.