Forget double-tapping; is quadruple-tapping the new thing?

DrStrange-616
DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
edited October 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
It didn't happen to me, but a member of my alliance. Is this the new norm under D3's "we don't care what you do or how you do it" new world order?

Bah.

Comments

• Outside of the re-queue bug in Black Vortex and Women of Marvel, I usually can't manage to queue the same person more than twice in general. It's possible, but very ISO intensive since you have to skip so much, so while you're climbing it's rarely worth it since you reach equilibrium quickly with an unshielded person.

Though... I can say I'm quite aware of a few people who have done some excellent "enforcing" by skipping a ton to find the same target repeatedly. Unless they're the only points around, it's likely to send a message.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Enforcers can send all the messages they want. But it's going to fall on deaf ears, unfortunately. icon_lol.gif
  • uberhamster
    uberhamster Posts: 96 Match Maker
    Is there specific etiquette for PvP? I play a lot but honestly don't interact with the larger community much. Is it like.. uncool to attack someone repeatedly even if they're a lot weaker than the other available targets, if the pool is small? (Like hitting a 166/166/x team when the alternatives are all 270/270/x)
  • j12601 wrote:
    Outside of the re-queue bug in Black Vortex and Women of Marvel, I usually can't manage to queue the same person more than twice in general. It's possible, but very ISO intensive since you have to skip so much

Devil dinosaur pvp I couldn't queue anyone but the same six people over and over and over.
    And this was well over 12 hours from finish with the top on 1k pts in my slice.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Is there specific etiquette for PvP? I play a lot but honestly don't interact with the larger community much. Is it like.. uncool to attack someone repeatedly even if they're a lot weaker than the other available targets, if the pool is small? (Like hitting a 166/166/x team when the alternatives are all 270/270/x)

Yeah, it is generally considered bad form to hit the same players over and over.

Though I found it tough to remember who I had hit in this event since 90% of the teams I was matched up with were running Cyc/JG/HB. I don't like to double-tap, but when everyone is running the same team, it can be tough to remember who you recently hit.

And when you are over 1200, sometimes you are just in such a mad scramble to get to 1300 before someone takes you down that you don't always have time to search for new targets.

Then again, this was the first event where I was able to hit 1300 without ever shielding. It is much harder in season when people are all fighting for alliance scores.
  • Nellobee
    Nellobee Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    The fact that meta-etiquette is even a thing is proof the pvp model is broken.

Just to repeat the obvious.
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    They're in my alliance too. But have only started pushing for 1000 fairly recently. Before that had not pvp much I can't imagine he is sniping or anything as it's been discussed fairly often in chat how to do well in pvp. Not to mention we had to tell him to use boosts as he was taking so long to finish matches at 800+ icon_e_smile.gif

I have suspected he's on a list. Has it ever been the case where mistaken identity has caused someone to be added to these "lists"? It's one of my main problems with this kind of self policing. Who watches the watchmen?
  • xequalsy
    xequalsy Posts: 231
    thisone wrote:
    They're in my alliance too. But have only started pushing for 1000 fairly recently. Before that had not pvp much I can't imagine he is sniping or anything as it's been discussed fairly often in chat how to do well in pvp. Not to mention we had to tell him to use boosts as he was taking so long to finish matches at 800+ icon_e_smile.gif

I have suspected he's on a list. Has it ever been the case where mistaken identity has caused someone to be added to these "lists"? It's one of my main problems with this kind of self policing. Who watches the watchmen?
    Not trying to comment on whether "lists" are a good thing or not, but as far as I am aware, it's fairly unlikely people accidentally get on so called "lists". It's largely people who purposefully try and snipe people whilst they are unshielded (people do this for a number of reasons as far as I am aware - including purposefully targeting members of a certain alliance, or trying to be able to hit a team you can beat quickly more than once). It's possible that they accidentally hit members from the same alliance a couple of times across several PvPs and made their "list", but in that case you should probably reach out to the people who are quadruple tapping your alliance mate and ask them if that's the case. If it's from a big/top alliance, most of them will have at least one person with a forum account if you don't have their LINE contact info. If it's someone from an alliance (name made up here, but I assure you there are quite a few named similarly icon_razz.gif) called something like "haha get sniped", they're probably just doing it to be a troll.
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    xequalsy wrote:
    thisone wrote:

Not trying to comment on whether "lists" are a good thing or not, but as far as I am aware, it's fairly unlikely people accidentally get on so called "lists". It's largely people who purposefully try and snipe people whilst they are unshielded (people do this for a number of reasons as far as I am aware - including purposefully targeting members of a certain alliance, or trying to be able to hit a team you can beat quickly more than once). It's possible that they accidentally hit members from the same alliance a couple of times across several PvPs and made their "list", but in that case you should probably reach out to the people who are quadruple tapping your alliance mate and ask them if that's the case. If it's from a big/top alliance, most of them will have at least one person with a forum account if you don't have their LINE contact info. If it's someone from an alliance (name made up here, but I assure you there are quite a few named similarly icon_razz.gif) called something like "haha get sniped", they're probably just doing it to be a troll.

Well I maybe phrased it badly, not so much the wrong person added to list but more guys name is similar enough that he got hit. As I know he's not the only one with that username in game.

Of course there's probably more to it. But benefit of the doubt and all that.

Nice seeing you again xeq. I remember you from love boat icon_e_smile.gif
  • moogles85
    moogles85 Posts: 186 Tile Toppler
    Most players won't make lists just to snipe. That's just paranoia.

Simply put, if they can re-queue you and you're worth more points than anyone else they can find, they are going to hit you again...

Occasionally if you are fighting for the 1st position, you might get sniped by alliance member of the person fighting against you - but this really only happens for good covers at Rank 1. I've seen this one happen a few times.
  • moogles85 wrote:
    Simply put, if they can re-queue you and you're worth more points than anyone else they can find, they are going to.

Or, they are running a max Jean buster combo and know your piddly 166 team isn't going to retaliate....so they hit until you are worth 1 point to them.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Splarne wrote:
    moogles85 wrote:
    Simply put, if they can re-queue you and you're worth more points than anyone else they can find, they are going to.

Or, they are running a max Jean buster combo and know your piddly 166 team isn't going to retaliate....so they hit until you are worth 1 point to them.

Unless they're an early frontrunner, nobody running max Jean buster is going to bother with a match that's worth less than 50 points until they hit 9900/1000 (and even then...) Anyone grinding a weaker team into paste for less and less points is wasting a lot of time and effort.

Also, double tapping, never mind quadruple tapping is generally frowned upon by us wicked LINE users. It does happen, generally when people are above 1k and moving towards their first shield, but anyone making a habit of it against the wrong alliance (ie: one of the big alliance families) will probably end up getting a lot of hits from that alliance in every event until they stop doing it.
  • Tilesmasher
    Tilesmasher Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    I never look at names, I look at if I can beat them and if their points are worth the time it takes to fight them.

The other thing is people can make up fake rules all they want, but there's no way to get those fake rules out to the entire playerbase let alone enforce them.

This is like playing CoD or something and trying to tell people not to kill you more than once in row because of some forum rules, ridiculous lol.

Edit: before I get flamed by internet people I don't even read the names, I don't target people, I just play a match 3 game on my cell phone and don't worry about stuff like this lol
  • All's fair in love, war and pokemon battles.
  • I never look at names, I look at if I can beat them and if their points are worth the time it takes to fight them.

The other thing is people can make up fake rules all they want, but there's no way to get those fake rules out to the entire playerbase let alone enforce them.

This is like playing CoD or something and trying to tell people not to kill you more than once in row because of some forum rules, ridiculous lol.

Edit: before I get flamed by internet people I don't even read the names, I don't target people, I just play a match 3 game on my cell phone and don't worry about stuff like this lol

Heh....way back in the day, I played a game where you spawned where you died. If you wanted to prove something...kill them and stand there killing them multiple times over while they try to collect their equipment. Nothing to see 20 corpses of one person on the ground.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    "Etiquette" is a bogus player construct touted by those who want to win without competing. Unless it is actually enforced by the game's rules at some point (which seems unlikely), if you go unshielded and you're worth decent points, you have to assume you're going to get hit. Sometimes repeatedly by the same person.
  • Tilesmasher
    Tilesmasher Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    The other thing that comes to mind is.. how many people play this game? 100,00? 200,000? 500,000? How many names do you see at the bottom of the page? How many people use line?

The point is that if 200 people visit these forums daily and another 500 are on line, do the other 100,000 players (or whatever they number is) know about these special rules that .000001% of the player base decided are real?
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    The point is that if 200 people visit these forums daily and another 500 are on line, do the other 100,000 players (or whatever they number is) know about these special rules that .000001% of the player base decided are real?
    Those other "100,000" people (in demiurge's wildest dreams) are all running half leveled IM35s and Storms, and aren't remotely relevant to this conversation.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    If they wanted you not to hit the same person I can't imagine a cooldown would be that hard to implement but they seem to want pvp to be a feasting ground, to encourage spending on shields.

I've never intentionally hit the same person because unless you have a roster strong enough to reach the top you don't have options you have 'will they cost me 3 health packs, will this take longer then it takes me to get hit multiple times during'.

Your eyes are on names when your roster is great, your eyes are on teams and covers otherwise.
  • Almost every PVP event I play in, anytime I get above 600 points no matter how many times I skip someone its the same series of about ten players. Even after beating one of those players.