Demiurge Studios is hiring a Game Analyst

vudu3
vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
edited October 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Get a job: Demiurge Studios is hiring a Game Analyst

Our games are your laboratory. You are our data scientist/game designer. You design experiments and pore over the results. From scraps of discarded data you stitch together coherent answers for impossible questions. Every day, game analysts examine our game balance and players’ actions looking for places to inject a shot of fun.

KEY RESPONSIBILITIES:

Collaborate with game designers to tune and balance live games
Analyze the various game funnels looking for areas where players aren’t having fun or are getting stuck.
Distribute quantitative information about overall game performance and performance of specific features to the team
Identifying areas that require more data and prescribe ways to improve the data stream
Canary in the coal mine: Monitor game performance and speak up if there’s a problem

MUST-HAVE QUALIFICATIONS:

“Make the Game” attitude Grandmaster-level Excel-fu!
Can you teach us something new about Excel?
Previous experience working on a live mobile product or website. +1 if that product was a game!
Strong understanding of data analysis and statistics
Estimate the success of features before they’re implemented
Outside interests!

BONUS POINTS FOR:

MBA or **** in Economics, Statistics or related field
Competency with SQL, JavaScript and/or Tableau

Creating games is our passion. Founded in 2002 and acquired in 2015 by SEGA Networks, we bring years of expertise to our projects. Our developers build fun, accessible mobile games like our recent hit, Marvel Puzzle Quest.
What do we think this means for MPQ? Seems like it could only lead to good things. I especially like this part (emphasis mine).
Analyze the various game funnels looking for areas where players aren’t having fun or are getting stuck.

Comments

• simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think a boatload of people on this forum would be qualified to handle those key responsibilities.
  • I have little to no programming experience, but I could definitely do that job. I'd really enjoy pouring through the data to understand the ins and outs of game balance and mechanics.....and then figure out how to fix them.

I wonder what the pay is like?
  • Nellobee
    Nellobee Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    I have a BI and SQL background, but no interest in moving to Mass. Drat.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Here's a head start on an Excel formula for determining the fun we're having at the moment:

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Galactus",A1)), "No Fun", "Probably No Fun")

where A1 is the cell holding the event name
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    3519464264_5242fa4d79.jpg

If only they also had the ability to time travel and stop the anniversary debacle from ever debacling.
  • emaker27
    emaker27 Posts: 285 Mover and Shaker

You don't get into the games industry for the pay. It's always below market value compared to other industries. (Speaking from experience)
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wonder,

I have no coding experience and my excel skills are basic but I do have an excellent understanding of analytics and statistics as I work as a psychological researcher and am (unfortunately) forced to use descriptive statistics for every piece of research that we use. Would I be suitable? I dunno.
  • I think he will get a busy first week.
    But this news gives me hope.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have a feeling the posting is most likely for ATPQ, which is sorta fun, when it loads.. but is plagued with issues..
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Malcrof wrote:
    I have a feeling the posting is most likely for ATPQ, which is sorta fun, when it loads.. but is plagued with issues..
    ATPQ is developed by WayForward though, not Demiurge.
  • Lee T
    Lee T Posts: 318
    I see no connections between the fun mentioned in the first section and the various bullet-points following it.
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    ATPQ is developed by WayForward though, not Demiurge.
    Lee T wrote:
    I see no connections between the fun mentioned in the first section and the various bullet-points following it.

I was just going to say both these things! It's nice that the forums give you a little "people were posting while you were typing" alert!
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    First applicant.
    51FAR1TJESL._SX385_.jpg
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Tried to apply, but servers were down. icon_cry.gif
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    Moon Roach wrote:
    Here's a head start on an Excel formula for determining the fun we're having at the moment:

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Galactus",A1)), "No Fun", "Probably No Fun")

where A1 is the cell holding the event name

No, no, they want you to show your FANCY Excel skills. Make it an array function!
  • Never work for a company that puts out a job listing with grammatical or spelling errors. Never.
  • Splarne wrote:
    Never work for a company that puts out a job listing with grammatical or spelling errors. Never.

Never ever? Or just never?
  • Splarne wrote:
    Never work for a company that puts out a job listing with grammatical or spelling errors. Never.

Never ever? Or just never?

Just never.

Ever is never good.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Less reliance to Excel/statistics, more actual game experience!
  • mrflopwelligan
    mrflopwelligan Posts: 125
    edited October 2015

22352209832_67bd442d92.jpg

20 ISO