Top 3* Characters

Options

Comments

• Personally this is my top three list of the 3* characters i use on MY roster.

1. Steve Rogers protect.pngicon_captainamerica.png - Steve Rogers is just one of my to go to guys with his Red and Blue ability. I can easily stun my opponents with his Blue ability and then nail them with his red ability and just keep doing that for a while
    2. Black Panther whitecrit.pngicon_blackpanther.png - Black Panther is another one of my go to heroes with his blue ability generating protect tiles every 2 turns and then being able to deal damage to my opponents with his black ability. Now even though his black ability gives my enemy more ap of their strongest color, i just stun them with Captain America's Blue ability!
    3. Deadpool icon_deadpool.png - Deadpool is another go to guy with his black ability. Deadpool will take a huge hit and then heal himself right afterwards, keeping Black Panther and Steve Rogers alive so i can continue to stun and hit them with everything we've got.
  • geno685
    geno685 Posts: 53 Match Maker
    Options
    I am going with ones i use daily, sorry cyclops and if but i dont have the covered to usable levels yet
    1. Cap, His ability to chain and destroy makes him amazing, especially in wave nodes
    2. Dr Doom, I use him, cap, and ares for enchilada and i win almost every time, Dooms purple and black help big time, use goon waves to let traps fall and nuke a high hp hero/villain next round while demons chip away at them
    3.Cage, No explanation needed
    4. Daken, His 2 start version is a secret ninja killer and this version is even more deadlier, sit back and watch the ememies drop like flies
    5.Thor, His health and chaining make him a beast when unleashed
    6. Deadpool, My favorite Marvel being, his red at 5 will make hulk cry right before he gets smashed with a whale to the face
    7. Daredevil, his ambush is fun to use, either match it yourself to chain a bunch of damage or trick them to match it and watch them die, his purple can be used against iron fist,daken,loki,patch,etc.
    8. Kamala Khan, Her purple can be used to get a critical tile and/or nice cascade going to lead into a straight up r=team beatdown, all while healing her team.
    9. Mystique, Her blue as it's use now and then but what shines are her pink and black combo, using pink and stealing ap and then unleashing black and getting the bonus damage is a great feeling
    10. Falcon, Redwing will just help you when you need it but what makes him so useful is his yellow, with cap,dake,cage,if,blade,patch, panther and more he will turn already strong special tiles into even more of a pain for enemies

Honorable mentions that i don't have high enough to use, or fell just too short: If, Switch, Cyclops, gsbw, loki, panther, mags
  • icon_ironfist.png + icon_blackpanther.png + icon_scarletwitch.png , no doubt the strongest team of 3* out there.
  • eaise
    eaise Posts: 217 Tile Toppler
    Options
    fahq1977 wrote:
    Agree with the general consensus, you should build towards a general 3* roster of:

icon_ironfist.png
    icon_cyclops.png
    icon_kamalakhan.png
    icon_magneto.png
    icon_scarletwitch.png
    icon_lukecage.png
    icon_thor.png

I would push Cyclops high on the list; he is a monster and boosted is better than most 4s. IF is tops largely because he can power so many valuable toons and is FAST. Speed is vital for high progression PvP scores.

icon_daken.png
    icon_blade.png
    icon_loki.png
    icon_hood.png
    icon_shehulk.png

Are all fantastic situational toons, and when boosted and you want them, you REALLY want them.

of the remaining, icon_captainamerica.png and icon_sentry.png solve SOO many problems in PvE, they are worth having maxed. if icon_hulk.png gets a health boost (unlikely) he would be smashing. icon_doctordoom.png has similar black generation to IF, but is so much slower. He's basically good if boosted and you don't have IF of SW for purple, or lack a nuke (which all of the toons up top have).

I agree with basically everything you said. I still need to get more covers for Khan. Cyclops and mags to have all the top tier 3* PvP characters but have recently maxed fist cage and switch.
    Daken blade Loki and hood are all amazing. I have those covered (daken needs one more purple to be optimal) and love using them. I'm not sure about shehulk as mine is awful. But back during her PvP she was annoying. Mostly because of her green.
    Cap is great in PvE but there are so many characters that are. Hulk would definitely be amazing if they gave him a slight rework.
  • jimstarooney
    jimstarooney Posts: 576 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Kamala>every1 else
  • eaise
    Options
    Kamala>every1 else

Iron Fist respectfully disagrees with you. Or mediates to build up power to punch a hole in you. Your choice haha

But yes Kamala is a great character. I have been using her partnered with fistbuster in the current PvE. Healing every time am ability is used is nice. Less damage on buster so less health packs I have to use
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Options
    It depends on who is boosted as far as when I'll dig into the 3* trenches. These are the five that get the most play for me when they are boosted:

1. Scarlet Witch.
    2. Iron Fist.
    3. Cyclops.
    4. Hood.
    5. Captain Marvel.
    A. She Hulk.

Switch gets play even when she isn't boosted because of her ability to produce a ton of purple, a necessary tool for many of the top 4*s. Easy prey for Jean Grey.

Iron Fist plays well with many of the top 4*s. Takes a beating when there's a wall of Jean Greys, so his usefulness depends on how much black AP I need and who is in the line-up for the other team (and if I can bring a stun).

Cyclops accelerates red and has a nasty black attack when he is boosted. Doesn't suffer as bad from Jean because his yellow is usually only at 3 covers, and you can avoid triggering a match 5.

Hood is an accelerant and decelerant, but suffers from having a very slow yellow attack and an often useless black attack... but we all know why he's out there. His health is way too low in the current meta, so you don't see him very often unless he's boosted.

Captain Marvel is a fantastic accelerant for red and black, in that she just needs to take damage and AP generation does not depend on board shake. Even if she isn't tanking, she can absorb AoE damage, an ability that is currently unique to her. When you need red and black AP and she's boosted, she makes it into my squad whenever I'm playing a team with decent AoE.

She Hulk has that super annoying green. Like Hood, she's not really going to be there for anything but that one ability. When she's boosted, she can be used to deal with teams that require high AP moves and produce strike tiles (like Hulkbuster). Problem is that she needs to be the only one who needs green AP... works well with a 5/5/3 alternate build Jean Grey.
  • Generally speaking, you should focus on upgrading the newest 3 star characters being rammed out into the game before anything else. Why? Because they tend to be the best and most overpowered.

Who you upgrade at 3 star will of course depend on what you draw for covers, who is offered in the DDP, and how much money you want to spend for cover packs.

As a guy who plays daily, and has done so for 600 days I'll give you my thoughts..

For old school 3 star characters, Hulk, Steve Rogers, Magneto and Thor are probably the ones you'd like to have. Despite the changes in the game, and the character trajectory, those old school guys are really useful.

For new school characters, who are either politically correct, or fall in line with Marvel's agenda ( movie or comic ), you are well advised to upgrade Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Cyclops, Kamala Kahn, Captain Marvel. If you get Black panther covers ubiquitously, esp. black, then he is one to focus on as well.

After that, tweener characters like Gamora, Rocket/Groot, Deadpool, Grey Suit Black Widow, Mohawk storm, psylocke, colossus can be looked at as decent if you have the resources.

A couple of characters are unique in that they are underpowered but serve a player well in specific circumstances. These are notably Hood and Loki. Mostly useful if an adversary has them in PVP. But otherwise useful in specific situations.

Characters with natural healing, i.e patch wolverine and daken, are decent, but generally for me, are not go to characters. I've not used Daken much at all outside of when he's buffed, and patch Wolverine is periodically useful - especially when paired with Loki and Magneto.

Characters like Doc Doom, Mystique and Spiderman are useful in some situations, otherwise fringe.

After that, for me anyway, characters like doc oc, beast, vision, iron man model 40, sentry, she hulk, daredevil, are borderline useless unless featured ( which is the only reason to keep them ).

So yeah, in a perfect world upgrade the new 3 star characters, and the select old school ones
  • vinnygecko
    vinnygecko Posts: 241 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Here's my top 10:

1. Iron Fist
    2. Luke Cage
    3. Cyclops
    4. Kamala Khan
    5. Magneto
    6. Scarlet Witch
    7. Hood (would have put higher if he wasn't so squishy)
    8. Blade
    9. Thor
    10. Black Panther

Honorable mention to Loki, Cap, R&G, Shulk, GSBW and Patch.
  • mgallop
    mgallop Posts: 120
    Options
    Gaudium wrote:
    For new school characters, who are either politically correct, or fall in line with Marvel's agenda ( movie or comic ), you are well advised to upgrade Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Cyclops, Kamala Kahn, Captain Marvel. If you get Black panther covers ubiquitously, esp. black, then he is one to focus on as well.

Oh my god. What is up with reactionary idiots... The reason that newer characters are better than older ones is because D3 got better at designing 3* characters to be good, the reason these characters are more diverse is because D3'd already released all the older characters, who are predominantly white men. Also, note that by far the best 3* in the game is IF, who is, again, a white dude. Further, note that since D3 has started releasing all 4* characters, the 9 best characters in this game have been 1 woman, a few aliens, and a bunch of white dudes:

IMHB, Iceman, Rhulk, Classic Cyke, Carnage, Kingpin, XFDP, Thing

vs

JG
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The five I tend to use the most (because my IF is still maxed at 140):

1. Daken -- so useful in tanking and spamming.
    2. Patch -- same with the tanking, and green as an ~exciting~ power/accelerant to use.
    3. Falcon -- great against countdown goons, great with characters who generate special offensive tiles.
    4. Blade -- when I 12 purple, GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER.
    5. Steve -- PVE'ing like a boss. Pair him with Cyclops or IM40 or Hood for the most boring matches you'll evern win!
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If you are going to vote "best", to me they have to be competitive in both PvE and PvP, even when not boosted. that slims the list down.

Of all the 3*'s the best PvE is Captain America, no doubts about it, he can shut down all nodes of characters.

Of all the 3"s the best PvP is for speed and Damage is Cyclops, he's essentially the XForce of old

Now while Cyclops isn't as good as Cap in PvE, he's still solid which is why he is the best 3*. There are loads of solids that play well in both especially if boosted.

Cap is good in PvP when boosted, he's just a tad slow
    Thor
    KK
    Luke Cage

While IF and SW are amazing, with 4*'s they are nowhere near as strong as before, they are accelertors but aren't going to win you games by themselves.
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Cyclops

Iron Fist

Kamala Khan

Scarlet Witch

and lots of guys tied for 5th.

My favorite 3* to play with lately is Bullseye. His black passive is incredibly fun. Doc Ock can be a monster too, in certain matchups.
  • eaise
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    If you are going to vote "best", to me they have to be competitive in both PvE and PvP, even when not boosted. that slims the list down.

100% this! So many characters are good when they are boosted but aren't even usable when not

Of all the 3*'s the best PvE is Captain America, no doubts about it, he can shut down all nodes of characters.

Of all the 3"s the best PvP is for speed and Damage is Cyclops, he's essentially the XForce of old

Cyclops isn't quite as fast as old XFW used to be. But because he can self accelerate he'still good (old XFW had AP generation and draining, so Cyclops still isn't nearly as good)

Now while Cyclops isn't as good as Cap in PvE, he's still solid which is why he is the best 3*. There are loads of solids that play well in both especially if boosted.

Cap is good in PvP when boosted, he's just a tad slow
    Thor
    KK
    Luke Cage

While IF and SW are amazing, with 4*'s they are nowhere near as strong as before, they are accelertors but aren't going to win you games by themselves.

I know SW won't win anyone matches but Fist has a quick huge nuke 5 purple to get enough black. Then every 5 purple is huge damage. His only real down fall is his low health. Even with that problem I still think he is the #1 3* character
  • ErikPeter wrote:
    Cyclops

Iron Fist

Kamala Khan

Scarlet Witch

and lots of guys tied for 5th.

My favorite 3* to play with lately is Bullseye. His black passive is incredibly fun. Doc Ock can be a monster too, in certain matchups.

When and how do you ever use Doc Ock?

[I'm not disagreeing, too busy being fascinated by the idea and curious.]
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    fine - best against mostorm or with/against carnage - his blue becomes crazy strong (similar to squirrel girl purple) against special tile spammers. his black passive is always good against the likes of daken or blade. however, if you don't have any special tiles to match/move, he's at least as good as....well....nothing. no tiles means his black never fires and his blue becomes a very expensive version of loki purple and green is nothing special.
  • IF the easily the best 3* character. They could give him 4k more health, keep his abilities the same (slight scaling for levels) and call him a 4*, no sweat. He is stupid good. Every other 3 isn't close (coincidently, the other top 3*'s are one's that pair well with IF).
  • mgallop wrote:
    Gaudium wrote:

Oh my god. What is up with reactionary idiots... The reason that newer characters are better than older ones is because D3 got better at designing 3* characters to be good, the reason these characters are more diverse is because D3'd already released all the older characters, who are predominantly white men. Also, note that by far the best 3* in the game is IF, who is, again, a white dude. Further, note that since D3 has started releasing all 4* characters, the 9 best characters in this game have been 1 woman, a few aliens, and a bunch of white dudes:

IMHB, Iceman, Rhulk, Classic Cyke, Carnage, Kingpin, XFDP, Thing

vs

JG

I think the newer 3* characters may be better because there is pressure to keep
    people wanting the latest thing, so a little power creep is commercially useful.

On the diversity front, as a white male I object to counting aliens as a white males. icon_e_wink.gif

If you were emphasizing the lack of high end female characters, you missed the obvious!
    Until very recently, the only "high end" female hero was easily the least desirable 4*.
    Marvel/D3 have a deep hole to climb out of after effectively saying for almost two years:

"If there were any 4* female heros, trust us, they would suck.
    Here, try Invisible Woman... still want to play with 4* women?"
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Until very recently, the only "high end" female hero was easily the least desirable 4*.
    4thor - not very recently and not least desirable. in fact was part of a meta team that ruled the roost for months with nobody touching them. did I miss something in what you said? because it looks like you said they never made a decent female 4* until jean.
  • fahq1977 wrote:
    Agree with the general consensus, you should build towards a general 3* roster of:

icon_ironfist.png
    icon_cyclops.png
    icon_kamalakhan.png
    icon_magneto.png
    icon_scarletwitch.png
    icon_lukecage.png
    icon_thor.png

I would push Cyclops high on the list; he is a monster and boosted is better than many 4s. IF is tops largely because he can power so many valuable toons and is FAST. Speed is vital for high progression PvP scores. You can build a solid team around any single of the above

icon_daken.png
    icon_blade.png
    icon_loki.png
    icon_hood.png
    icon_shehulk.png

Are all fantastic situational toons, and when boosted and you want them, you REALLY want them.

of the remaining, icon_captainamerica.png and icon_sentry.png solve SOO many problems in PvE, they are worth having maxed. if icon_hulk.png gets a health boost (unlikely) he would be smashing, but ignore him and icon_humantorch.png for the time being. icon_doctordoom.png has similar black generation to IF, but is so much slower. He's basically good if boosted and you don't have IF of SW for purple, or lack a nuke (which all of the toons up top have). I was also remiss not to include icon_blackpanther.png At 5/3/5, his blue and yellow make a good complement to the best toons. Not much of either of those colors among top 3*

What about Patch?