Top 3* Characters

Options
eaise
eaise Posts: 217 Tile Toppler
edited November 2015 in MPQ Character Discussion
I know at this point the PvP meta has long passed 3* being the best characters but as a player with no good usuable 4* characters I want to know everyone's opinions on just the 3* characters. Who do you think the top 10 3*s are? Or top 5? Or even top 3?

For this scenario we will assume no characters are boosted. (I know generally who is boosted affects who is used) And we will assume the roster you are using as zero 4* characters but all the 3* characters (so a 3* having synergy with a 4* doesn't get them a better position) Synergy with other 3* can affect positions on the list

My top 5:
1. Iron Fist- Quick black AP creation which can cause cascades. Huge damage for cheap once team gets 12 black AP. Constant attack tile
2. Luke Cage- Huge damage on both yellow and black. Synergy with IF's black creation. Constant Shield tile negates most match damage.
3. Scarlet Witch- Short(ish) CD tile created whenever she doesn't have one to make tons of purple AP and can cause cascades. Synergy with both IF and KK. Can hit kinda hard and stun if other purple users go down.
4. Cyclops- Huge damage with both Red and black. Red creation to be self sufficient (if TU tiles are on the board)
5. Kamala Khan- Passive team healing keeps team alive slightly longer. Huge AoE green. Her purple creates green making her very self sufficient

Even if your list is similar to mine please post it. I want to see as many top 3* lists as possible.

(to mods: I know this is about characters but most posts in character discussion are about one specific character. If you really really really think this topic needs to be moved you definitely can. But I felt it was more suited for general discussion)

Comments

• udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    icon_ironfist.png
    icon_cyclops.png
    icon_kamalakhan.png
    icon_lukecage.png
    icon_magneto.png

I put mags ahead of switch, but it's really close. She's great as support for some great combos, but her purple ability is weak to me, even when at 5 and maxed. Her green is relatively pointless. So her ability to generate purple for someone else is really her only use. She's REALLY good at it, but still not good enough for me to be top 5. If I had a covered ProfX, I'm sure I'd change my tune.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Personally speaking I like...

Steve Rodgers - slow to get going but hard to stop once he does, decent health and can remove specials. Very good all round character.

Dr. Doom - self generates and you don't really know 3* pain until a fully powered demons littering the board with attack tiles that deal 1000 per turn.

Magneto - I hate fighting against him, powerful blue and very irritating yellow.

Agree with you on Cage, great character.
  • 1. Iron Fist. Hands down the best 3 char. Insane black generation with a lot of good black users plus a strike tile that hurts a lot

2. Scarlet Witch. Another monster when it comes to ap generation and potential match-5s every 3 turns

3. Hood. The best ap stealer in the game, he can single handedly destroy you if his passive keeps proc'ing constantly

4. Cyclops. He's on par with the best 4*s when boosted, insane damage output plus he can accelerate himself

5. Kamala Khan. So much versatility with her yellow and purple, and a green with amazing damage/cost ratio
  • eaise
    Options
    udonomefoo wrote:
    :ironfist:
    icon_cyclops.png
    icon_kamalakhan.png
    icon_lukecage.png
    icon_magneto.png

I put mags ahead of switch, but it's really close.

I agree that mags as a solo characters is way stronger than Switch. The main reason I had her ahead of him is the synergy she has with IF that and I often see switch in PvP but only see mags when he's boosted (probably due to him being an old character and her being newer). He was definitely a contender for my top 5 though.

Personally speaking I like...

Steve Rodgers - slow to get going but hard to stop once he does, decent health and can remove specials. Very good all round character.

Dr. Doom - self generates and you don't really know 3* pain until a fully powered demons littering the board with attack tiles that deal 1000 per turn.

Magneto - I hate fighting against him, powerful blue and very irritating yellow.

Agree with you on Cage, great character.

I like Steve for PvE but for PvP he is too slow.
    Doom definitely has the ability to hit hard and can generate black. But again is kinda slow
    Mags almost made my top 5 he's really good

amalfitano wrote:
    1. Iron Fist. Hands down the best 3 char. Insane black generation with a lot of good black users plus a strike tile that hurts a lot

2. Scarlet Witch. Another monster when it comes to ap generation and potential match-5s every 3 turns

3. Hood. The best ap stealer in the game, he can single handedly destroy you if his passive keeps proc'ing constantly

4. Cyclops. He's on par with the best 4*s when boosted, insane damage output plus he can accelerate himself

5. Kamala Khan. So much versatility with her yellow and purple, and a green with amazing damage/cost ratio

IF and SW are great. SW was hard to place for me. She almost ended up as my #2 but I use cage more so he got it.
    Hood could be great except IF kills him quick without needing AP. The health boosts to most characters nerfed hood bad
    Cyclops and KK and definitely amazing characters
  • For Offense :
    icon_ironfist.png
    icon_cyclops.png
    icon_magneto.png
    icon_blade.png
    icon_thor.png

For Defense :
    icon_lukecage.png
    icon_loki.png
    icon_kamalakhan.png
    icon_ironfist.png
    icon_scarletwitch.png

TOP 5 :
    icon_ironfist.png
    icon_cyclops.png
    icon_scarletwitch.png
    icon_kamalakhan.png
    icon_loki.png

Needed in your roster :
    icon_hulk.pngicon_hood.pngicon_blade.pngicon_punisher.png
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Wanda's so-so, imo. Her green does **** damage and can spot you some needed AP. But it suffers because so many GOOD green abilities exist in 3* territory. Her purple is good, but because you can't guarantee who gets stunned, I think it isn't as effective.

She's a purple generator. That's fine; needed. But I gather most people like it because it's free. I like it because it makes beast's green do double damage at no added cost.

Agree re: Iron Fist, Cyclops, Cage, Thor. I think it's a three-way tie between Kamala, Magneto, and Blade for the top 5.

I see it like this: If Kamala, Magneto, and Blade are all boosted, who's the one you're taking as the third? Does it depend on whose PVP it is? Or are you choosing one no matter what?

Also. icon_blackpanther.png needs to be in this discussion.
  • I agree in general with your list. I'd only add blade and black panther. Even on defense I've seen the most success with either of them.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    There's too many good ones to restrict to a top 5 list, so I made mine top 10:

1. Iron Fist
    2. Luke Cage
    3. Cyclops
    4. Kamala Khan
    5. Magneto
    6. Steve Rodgers
    7. Black Panther
    8. Scarlet Witch
    9. Thor
    10. Blade

People leave out Thor because he might be boring, but he's really effective at what he does. I may be biased on BP, since he was one of my earliest covered 3*s and one I still use daily in DDQ.
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    Options
    imo SW and Loki are "good" but not per se threatening.
    I'm not going to be stopped by a 166 SW any sooner than I would a 166 Squirrel Girl. Loki is great but so squishy.

IMO the top 5 are characters are are self-sufficent. So to say, the CPU would find it hard to mess up and they aren't dependant on other characters to do their jobs.

(in no particular order)
    Iron Fist
    Thor
    Blade
    Cyclops
    Magneto

Special shoutouts to Hulk because sweet jesus I've seen too many thunderous comebacks to not say so.
  • eaise
    Options
    I like using blade but find him too board dependent for me to place him in the top 5.
    Black Panther is great he dishes out strike tiles and does good AoE. But he's kinda slow, similar to Rogers, and can't self sustain like Khan or Thor who have a good AoE as well.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    eaise wrote:
    I like using blade but find him too board dependent for me to place him in the top 5.
    Black Panther is great he dishes out strike tiles and does good AoE. But he's kinda slow, similar to Rogers, and can't self sustain like Khan or Thor who have a good AoE as well.

Yeah I don't think Blade is top 5 for that reason. But when he has a red board and starts straight off, he makes fights very easy. Top 10 for sure.
  • eaise
    Options
    Orion wrote:

Yeah I don't think Blade is top 5 for that reason. But when he has a red board and starts straight off, he makes fights very easy. Top 10 for sure.

I agree
    If you have a red flooded board blade is easily top 5 character. Unfortunately that's not common. But like you said he's still top 10

So from the different responses in this post it seems like there is a general consensus of the top 3*s

Iron Fist (definitely #1)

(and then in no particular order)
    Khan
    Cage
    Cyclops
    Cmags
    Switch
    Thor
    Blade

Other 3*s definitely has usage in PvP, such as Patch and Daken for easy matches to save health packs. Hulk and Patch can hulkbomb (though not as effectively as in the past) and other characters become useful when boosted. But I think the characters I listed above are useful no matter the event and whether they are boosted are not.

Thanks for all that gave feedback. If anyone else wants to post their list I'd be glad to see it
  • hmm... currently :

icon_captainamerica.png
    icon_storm.png
    icon_cyclops.png
    icon_ironfist.png
    icon_thor.png
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 691 Critical Contributor
    Options
    1. Iron Fist... a 4* they released as a 3* for some reason
    2. Kamala Khan... great passive and easy big damage
    3. Loki... very useful assist
    4. Hood... very useful assist but lower health
    5. Cyclops... massive damage; powers that go well together

followed by Steve, Scarlet Witch, Thor, Mags, Black Panther, Blade.
  • Top 5:

icon_ironfist.png - Great character in general, slightly low on health and on def, but by far the best in attack!!
    icon_cyclops.png - Super damage, great yellow -> red spam, high health
    icon_scarletwitch.png - perfect support partner for IF and a very very very handy 5-turn stun
    icon_lukecage.png - great health, super in def, high damaging yellow.
    icon_hood.png - steals AP, even with low health he'll make sure he's stolen decent amounts of AP before going down. Then there's Twin Pistols!! wow

Personal favourites just outside the top 5: icon_kamalakhan.pngicon_blade.pngicon_captainamerica.pngicon_loki.png
  • Handoftheking26
    Handoftheking26 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Cage
    IF
    Groot
    Mags
    Cyclops

I'm sure most people won't add Groot but I love the heals and once his blue pops things go real quick...honorable mention: Blade, Hood, KK, Daken
  • Sandwichboy
    Sandwichboy Posts: 193 Tile Toppler
    Options
    icon_ironfist.png
    icon_kamalakhan.png
    icon_cyclops.png
    icon_wolverine.png
    icon_scarletwitch.png

icon_hood.pngicon_blade.pngicon_loki.png all kind of tied for 6th.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My new favorite combo (works really well for PvE too) is Cage, Deadpool and Scarlet Witch. I don't even have covers fully optimized as I want on Cage and Switch yet. Someone else on the boards mentioned the combo and have loved it since trying it out. My Cage and DP are fully leveled and I am now working on Switch. The strategy I use is to get some early red for DP red ability which is quick at 6 red and take out 45% health of high hp characters early and then grab purple as I can along with Switches purple generation which is great (and I only have her at 3 blue now, trying to get to 5). Then drop a whale on them. Severely hurts or kills weak characters and most characters that you have hit with DP red ability once. Meanwhile Cage provides defense to limit health packs and I can always use his black and yellow in matches that last longer as finishers once enemy team has been hit by one Whale. It is pretty amazing how fast you can get to 14 purple AP with Switch (and that is with only 3 blue covers right now, 5 will be even better).

Another major benefit is that you have no skill overlap and good color diversification. Cage matches Team Ups, red and yellow, DP matches purple and black, and Switch matches green and blue. DP uses active red/purple, Cage uses active yellow/black and Switch uses active green/purple. I know there is no active blue user but at least Switch matches blue for damage. My Cage is currently 4/5/4 and I want to get him to 5/5/3. I know 5/3/5 is popular for more damage build but I honestly use him for damage as a backup in this team so I value the higher red defense more on this team as DP is by far my biggest damage dealer.

I am seriously considering a 3/5/5 build though on Switch (have a 5/5/3 now) because I am not super impressed with her 5 purple on the team I use her on and almost never use it instead of Whales, as its damage is half of Deadpool for the same AP and the stun is so random that it rarely has helped me stun the enemy I needed stunned. Her 5 in green isn't as useful in PvP as it is in PvE admittedly but it has saved me a ton in PvE by using to destroy enemy strike/countdown tiles (especially those near the edge of the board), providing cascades at times (not as reliably as her blue power), and an ability I think people overlook is that it can generate AP so I use to further speed up purple AP gain when I see a purple cluster that isn't necessarily available for a match or I need to get those last few purple AP to whale again. I understand though why you would want to stay at 5/5/3 with her if you didn't have a better purple power that you paired her with and maybe had a strong green power (ala Thor etc) to spend green AP on.

I need not mention that you can simply spend DP points if need be to wipe out really troublesome teams (or nodes).

By my experience on PvP of characters I see the most my ranking would be: icon_ironfist.pngicon_lukecage.pngicon_cyclops.pngicon_wolverine.pngicon_thor.png

Not saying these are the best but certainly seem most used 3* encounter on teams in different combinations.
  • DukeUpdate
    DukeUpdate Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I'd go with:

1. Iron Fist
    2. Magneto
    3. Luke Cage
    4. Thor
    5. Blade

Magneto & Blade are my go-to (non-boosted) team on offense when I need to pair them with an essential character.

Unfortunately, I now have at least 12 covers for every 3* except (2) .... and one of them is Iron Fist with only 10 covers. Ugh.
  • fork1977
    fork1977 Posts: 94 Match Maker
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Agree with the general consensus, you should build towards a general 3* roster of:

icon_ironfist.png
    icon_cyclops.png
    icon_kamalakhan.png
    icon_magneto.png
    icon_scarletwitch.png
    icon_lukecage.png
    icon_thor.png

I would push Cyclops high on the list; he is a monster and boosted is better than many 4s. IF is tops largely because he can power so many valuable toons and is FAST. Speed is vital for high progression PvP scores. You can build a solid team around any single of the above

icon_daken.png
    icon_blade.png
    icon_loki.png
    icon_hood.png
    icon_shehulk.png

Are all fantastic situational toons, and when boosted and you want them, you REALLY want them.

of the remaining, icon_captainamerica.png and icon_sentry.png solve SOO many problems in PvE, they are worth having maxed. if icon_hulk.png gets a health boost (unlikely) he would be smashing, but ignore him and icon_humantorch.png for the time being. icon_doctordoom.png has similar black generation to IF, but is so much slower. He's basically good if boosted and you don't have IF of SW for purple, or lack a nuke (which all of the toons up top have). I was also remiss not to include icon_blackpanther.png At 5/3/5, his blue and yellow make a good complement to the best toons. Not much of either of those colors among top 3*