Galactus achievement - anticlimactic?

So my Alliance just finished round 6 with one refresh to spare. This was a tremendous accomplishment for us as we're a pretty casual Alliance, and have lots of 2* and even some new 1* players. Everyone fought hard, two of us made the personal top tier progression, and we reached our highest round ever in this type of event. (We never got beyond 5 in Ultron.) It was a fun event, with enough challenge for our top players but our newer ones still got to contribute. Well-designed and orchestrated this time: up-vote to the devs.

...And we all got a Red Hulk cover. Now it *used* to be that I'd have been very happy with this, but as pleased as I am I just can't shake this feeling that we could have just played a normal event and most of us gotten the legendary token (arguably better than the Rulk cover) with a lot less effort.

I'm not entirely sure what the problem is. One cover for round 6 seems reasonable enough, but then even the Alliances that went all the way only earned three covers, so not even a usable character for them yet.

I guess with the advent of the legendary token, and the relative ease of getting them it kind of makes other rewards pale in comparison. Now I'm not saying "make then harder to get", no no (don't get any ideas devs). But maybe everything else needs to get up-tweaked a bit, just so that the whole game doesn't just revolve around "the hunt for legendaries"?

Maybe I'm nuts, don't know. This being the forum, I'm sure you'll tell me. icon_e_smile.gif

Comments

• boldfacedfemme
    boldfacedfemme Posts: 227 Tile Toppler
    Considering my leg token gave me yet another unwanted Starlord (4of 6 tokens ugh), getting a second Rulk was much better a prize for me.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Congrats on beating round 6 !! Consider this when comparing other events.. how many tokens did you get along the way.. from clearing subs, from progression, from completing rounds, from the "pardon our dust" comps, and whatnot.. how much iso did you make from the double iso (on the events that had it), the hero points...

take all that into consideration before you say it was not worth it.

Just my opinion... a normal pve won't come close to the rewards earned during this event.
  • Malcrof wrote:
    Congrats on beating round 6 !! Consider this when comparing other events.. how many tokens did you get along the way.. from clearing subs, from progression, from completing rounds, from the "pardon our dust" comps, and whatnot.. how much iso did you make from the double iso (on the events that had it), the hero points...

Just my opinion... a normal pve won't come close to the rewards earned during this event.
    That's all true Mal, but remember that most of those other rewards are earnable *without* the alliance making any level of achievement. The event itself was quite rewarding, yes. I'm just saying that the reward for the primary goal, the alliance progressing through the top rounds, is oddly small.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Magisse wrote:
    I'm just saying that the reward for the primary goal, the alliance progressing through the top rounds, is oddly small.
    3 covers for the level of effort my alliance put into this (ie "minimal") felt like a freebie.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    Magisse wrote:
    I'm just saying that the reward for the primary goal, the alliance progressing through the top rounds, is oddly small.
    3 covers for the level of effort my alliance put into this (ie "minimal") felt like a freebie.

More important to me, I was able to get 3 covers with this effort, and not have to worry about that effort not being good enough because I joined at the wrong time.
  • simonsez wrote:
    Magisse wrote:
    I agree. A PvE that earns three new 4* covers without ever having to grind the end of a sub for hours on end is awesome. To get three covers in a normal PvE requires optimal play for days on end. Your entire life has to revolve around your MPQ schedule. This was way easier.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    I thought it was a good run for an apology/anniversary event. It was very easy for an event giving away 3 4* covers, but much appreciated. Our lower performing alliances even finished so it was a great sense of accomplishment and a morale boost for them which is excellent!

I think that this second run would be a good pace for future runs rewarding 3* characters. It should be somewhere in between for the next 4* run.

Overall, the second half of the anniversary was much better. Pulled a total of 3 Devil Dino's from the anniversary tokens... and a LOT of OBW's... wish I had gotten more DDino's.

Overall, I like the Galactus event, and so did our alliances. Thank you.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:

Easy to say when you open 17 4* instead of the non-ending stream of 2s most of us opened.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've been waiting to say this until after the event was over, but I think they over corrected. I think the personal progression score tweak was good, but the event itself went from way too hard to kinda easy. It's tough to say what their target was. I'm not sending any 4*s out in any non-essential matches yet, but have a lot of fully covered and max level 3*s. Maybe they wanted it to be more achievable for people that are still building a 3* roster, and as a result people with more developed rosters found it underwhelming? Maybe they were trying to make up for how hard the first run was? Or maybe they just wanted to make damn sure they didn't under deliver on the promised fixes?
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    The minimum I expected from my alliance, and honestly hoped for, was a Red Hulk cover. In Ultron we missed out on Hulkbuster because it was made harder to reach that specific round and complete it. So I figured 6 months on we'd bumped up our rosters a bit and could get a Red Hulk at least.

We did that with 36 hours to go. So, hey, maybe we might get far along for a second cover? I didn't think we'd have the time though, but it was still worth a shot.

We got the cover with 35 minutes to spare. I've never been more proud of my alliance. Especially since we were down to 18 people.
  • PorkBelly
    PorkBelly Posts: 533 Critical Contributor
    I've been waiting to say this until after the event was over, but I think they over corrected. I think the personal progression score tweak was good, but the event itself went from way too hard to kinda easy. It's tough to say what their target was. I'm not sending any 4*s out in any non-essential matches yet, but have a lot of fully covered and max level 3*s. Maybe they wanted it to be more achievable for people that are still building a 3* roster, and as a result people with more developed rosters found it underwhelming? Maybe they were trying to make up for how hard the first run was? Or maybe they just wanted to make damn sure they didn't under deliver on the promised fixes?

I disagree.

If 4* are now going to make up the bulk of new releases, I think this was about perfect in how to release them.

The Ant-Man event was too easy - 30 days to beat 5 or 6 nodes to get 1 4* cover.

Grinding The Hunt, Thick as Thieves, or The Hulk PVE (again) to try and get 3 4* covers is almost impossible without spending massive hp & iso for the end of sub grinds.

If they released, every new 4* character with either a Galactus or Ultron run, I'd be pretty happy.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    PorkBelly wrote:
    The Ant-Man event was too easy - 30 days to beat 5 or 6 nodes to get 1 4* cover.

I couldn't understand the AntMan event.
    I kept waiting for something else to happen. A month long event with a handful of nodes to get a single cover? Nah, there's gotta be more to it than that. Maybe they'll release a new one every ten days or something?

And then when it ended exactly the same as how it started I was left with a "...huh..." feeling.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ant Man felt like an experiment. I remember reading someone's post, maybe IceIX, saying that the majority of people played at the very beginning and the very end. I got the sense that it didn't play out the way they'd hoped.

I don't disagree that GH was a better way to introduce new 4*s than making everyone grind like crazy on an event they've played a dozen times already. My post was more aimed at the difference between the first and second runs and the relative ease of reaching the top prizes.
  • This thread serves as excellent evidence (not that anyone with practical experience dealing with the general populace needs it), that you can't please everyone.

Thank you Devs for creating an environment where people can succeed and be rewarded. I scored two Rulk covers and I couldn't be happier about it. Was hoping to get all three, but my alliance didn't quite have the time to make it all happen. We would have, if we had any of the Cyclops covers from the first run, but the best we could do was about 1/3 through Round 6.

On a semi-related note - There is no reason why any 4* or below new character should be difficult to obtain at least one cover of, if not all three. A 4* character requires a roster spot which costs HP. Good for the devs. Some people who were to get a 4* character with one cover of each color would spend HP to max cover them. Good for the devs. They might also buy the ISO to max level them. Good for the devs. Everyone would be able to cover the essentials in events. Good for everybody.

Considering how long it takes to develop the characters, there is nothing game-breaking about this thought process at all. See Marvel Future Fight for reference.
  • Akari
    Akari Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    My alliance managed to beat round 7 this time - we were unable to beat round 6 the first time. Overall, this time around was a smashing success. There was a plethora of Galactus/Anniversary tokens from the nodes, and I got some decent stuff out of them. It seemed like Galactus 1 was more of a tough love type event due to the ultra difficulty, but this one seemed a lot more friendly and generous. Perhaps a little too easy (9 people in my alliance got the legendary), but I like that the rewards are actually obtainable rather than on the other side of a brick wall.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    GMadMan040 wrote:
    On a semi-related note - There is no reason why any 4* or below new character should be difficult to obtain at least one cover of, if not all three. A 4* character requires a roster spot which costs HP. Good for the devs. Some people who were to get a 4* character with one cover of each color would spend HP to max cover them. Good for the devs. They might also buy the ISO to max level them. Good for the devs. Everyone would be able to cover the essentials in events. Good for everybody.

Considering how long it takes to develop the characters, there is nothing game-breaking about this thought process at all. See Marvel Future Fight for reference.

It has always struck me as odd that they don't try and give out a few more covers to start out with for the very reasons that you suggest, people having all three powers for a character are far more likely to consider spending HP to make it more usable which would never be the case with a 1 or 2 cover character.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think they should release more covers for new release events, increase the tier rewards.

When BluRays and DVDs first come out, they are on sale immediately that first week... after that, you pay full price or wait for a sale a few months later. It seems reverse in this game. A character is released, and very few get it. Then people just hope it pops up in a token pull later.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    You didn't get one cover. You got 20 covers.
  • Doc L
    Doc L Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    It really needed an end video showing Galactus being taken down in cartoon-stylings. That would have done it for me, some animation that showed you brought the pain, and won.
  • rawfsu
    rawfsu Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Something grand, like an end video as mentioned, would be a cool touch. I definitely enjoyed Galactus the second time around and am more than happy with the two covers I came away with. My token pulls were disappointing save three, Luke Cage yellowflag.png , Doom blackflag.png , and Devil Dino greenflag.png . I would've much rather had two Cyclops cover than Red Hulk, but here's to next year!