This Annoys Me - New Rosters

Punisher5784
Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
edited October 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
So while reviewing my alliance's roster, I noticed one of our new players that just started playing a few weeks ago has 6 4* covers already. They are all from the Anniversary tokens, and those Devil Dinos were pulled prior to the increased odds. This player is barely in 1* land and most of her characters are around level 20, yet she is pulling better covers than half the alliance. Is this not some proof that newbie players have better pull rates than players who have been playing for 1+ years. Perhaps it's just simple luck but I see this all the time.

Screenshot_2015-10-13-22-45-18_1.png

Different subject but correlates: Let's not forget the other player who pulled a Silver Surfer with barely a 2* roster.

Screenshot_2015-10-04-08-32-10_1.png

The real issue is that they are both complaining that PVE is becoming too difficult and will likely quit. Meanwhile players who could use those covers are still pulling 2*'s.

Comments

• TheWerebison
    TheWerebison Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    No, that is not some proof. What about Malcrof, who got 17 4* from a 40 pack?

Some people have better luck than other people. I mean...that's just it.
  • Stony
    Stony Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    I've been along the same thoughts as OP for awhile. I've noticed that many of the people in our alliance that have pulled a SS all have underleveled rosters compared to me and another mate, who are firmly in 4* land. He and I have opened over 40 Legendaries (combined) and neither of us have pulled one.
  • Coik
    Coik Posts: 19
    Some people have better luck than other people.

There's one guy in my alliance who has such uncanny luck that he may as well be an X-Man (the comic guys, not the alliances here). I'm fairly certain that he's a witch or otherwise in league with dark powers.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is proof that they shouldn't have made Legendary tokens available in PVE. People are getting 5*s when their roster isn't ready for them yet.
  • I do think newer players get better odds to bait them into wanting to play more and spend some money on roster spots, but I have no proof so it's just my theory. icon_cool.gif

Not that I would blame them, at the end of the day it's a business to make money
  • "They're both complaining that PVE is becoming too difficult and will likely quit."

This is the bigger problem imo. Why people are penalized for doing well has always escaped me.
  • scottee
    Magisse wrote:
    "They're both complaining that PVE is becoming too difficult and will likely quit."

This is the bigger problem imo. Why people are penalized for doing well has always escaped me.

PVE scaling is pretty messed up, but also necessary.

It shouldn't be possible to skip a tier of progression.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Perhaps it's just simple luck but I see this all the time.

It's not simple luck as much as confirmation bias. Easy to remember the low level players who get lucky and disregard the countless low level players who don't.

Let's keep in mind that everybody's favorite cover maxed Surfer was pulled from tokens at a ridiculous rate, well above expectations.

Covers drop differently for everyone, but it's not a conspiracy.
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have an alt account on Steam that I use as a placeholder when I'm doing shuffling for PVEs, merc'ing for PVPs, etc. I only put it in when I have free spots in my casual PVE alliance that manages t250, so heroic tokens for subs. I don't really play it, but it does have a nice 4* and 3* roster for doing nothing but pulling tokens. I could be biased, but I do think I've pulled a lot of tokens. So that roster has a Fury yellow, Thor blue and Wolv green for 4*. Hulk 1/1/1 (green from playing 1 node in The Hulk PVE), SG with 2 covers and the following with 1 cover, Beast, C Marv, Daken, Deadpool, KK, Psylocke, QS, Rag, R&G and Thor. I sold a lvl 50 IM50 and only have a lvl 40 Juggs left. Next 3 slots cost 500 and gotta buy in the bundle. Only have 175, so it's gonna be a while. I definitely would not want to play PVE with this roster.
  • mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    simple solution, stop scaling PVE.

If you must scale PVE, do it based on days played, taking into account any days you DID NOT play. There is no reason to scale based on roster.

If you scale PVE based on days played, and youre ahead of the curve, great. If youre behind for some reason, incentive to catch up and if that fails, devs can scale it back more.

Easier PVE > L395 Juggs/Venom/Daken/Moonstone/Bullseye PVE
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Easiest solution would be to sell the covers.. and done.. scaling is back to where they need it.

it will be a while before they can really use 4*s.. but if they have the roster space, once they have their 2* transition 1/2 done, then the level 70's won't matter at all.

With the surfer.. best bet is to sell it, their commander should have advised against opening any legendary tokens until they were ready to roster 4*s.
  • Zen808
    Zen808 Posts: 260
    mjh wrote:

If you must scale PVE, do it based on days played, taking into account any days you DID NOT play. There is no reason to scale based on roster.

If you scale PVE based on days player ... then Veteran player = L395 Juggs/Venom/Daken/Moonstone/Bullseye PVE, 24/7

is that really what we want?
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:
    Easiest solution would be to sell the covers.. and done.. scaling is back to where they need it.

it will be a while before they can really use 4*s.. but if they have the roster space, once they have their 2* transition 1/2 done, then the level 70's won't matter at all.

With the surfer.. best bet is to sell it, their commander should have advised against opening any legendary tokens until they were ready to roster 4*s.

Are you implying that I am a bad Commander? lol icon_lol.gif

To be fair, the player joined my alliance already having the SS but yes I agree but it shouldn't just be the Commanders job. There should be warnings before you open the Legendary like a nice little pop-up "Warning! You are not ready to open these"
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof wrote:

Are you implying that I am a bad Commander? lol icon_lol.gif

To be fair, the player joined my alliance already having the SS but yes I agree but it shouldn't just be the Commanders job. There should be warnings before you open the Legendary like a nice little pop-up "Warning! You are not ready to open these"

Didn't even notice that you were a commander.. but, that being said.. i think the term "LEGENDARY" sort of speaks for itself.

Alliances definitely need a notes section , so commanders can put things like "remember, do not open gold or higher tokens unless you can roster or use what you will get
    " etc.. for example..., or even a message of the day..

But that is a whole different topic.
  • mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    Zen808 wrote:
    mjh wrote:

If you scale PVE based on days player ... then Veteran player = L395 Juggs/Venom/Daken/Moonstone/Bullseye PVE, 24/7

is that really what we want?
    This is how it is now so no different for vets
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    mjh wrote:
    If you must scale PVE, do it based on days played
    Thanks for illustrating that there's a way to do scaling that's even worse than what's already being done...
  • Malcrof
    simonsez wrote:
    mjh wrote:
    If you must scale PVE, do it based on days played
    Thanks for illustrating that there's a way to do scaling that's even worse than what's already being done...

500% Agree.. my wife has played for almost 250 days, but she does her ddq, and maybe a couple pvp rounds or event rounds and is done.. so maybe 1/2 hour or so a day.. she has 0 10 covered 3*s, and likes her casual play.. so this would make it so she could accomplish absolutely nothing ever since she is casual F2P.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think it is a little bit of bait and switch going on. New players get really good draws to bait them in and then progress draws to crawl early on, which tries to induce the p2p mindset. Nobody wants to throw away a four star because what if you get another two days later. I did this multiple times with 3 star characters early in the game and it came back to haunt me later as I could now have made those characters better already and more useful. Just remove time restrictions on covers so we can slot the character when ready.
  • scottee
    I don't really think new players grey better draws. I think good draws are just more useful to new players. If you're new, a level 70 IW is amazing. I'd you're into 3* land, you're cursing every IW draw.
  • Over a year ago, the first time they ran Iso-8 Brotherhood and I haven't finished leveling my 1 stars yet, I drew a Nick Fury, who helped carry me to a t10 finish in that event (with the Essential help), and drew a Psylock later in the event. (And obv. a MN Magneto, but that's not as impressive.)

I'm probably not helping this paranoia, but I'll be darned if I'm not emotionally attached to that Nick Fury and his Level 70 help. And the 3 Patches I got and I may want to build my entire team around. (Moonstone? Love her. Ant-Man? Please. Dr. Doom? God you're rad.)