It's Time For A New Token.

tanis3303
tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
I don't know about y'all, but I am So. TinyKitty. SICK. Of. Opening. TinyKitty star.pngstar.png s!!!!!

This "reward" is so deflating. New players need 2*s. I get it...but to the rest of us, they're just depressing. I feel like the game has moved beyond the 2* level, and anyone that needs them should be able to cover them in a matter of days from random PvP drops and standard tokens. Here's my proposal:

Keep all the 2* rewards in the taco vault. DDQ'ers need them most, and to vets, the taco vault is what it is. We have our hoarders, and we have guys like me who just crack em as we get em to reap the minor (and sometimes awesome) rewards. This part is fine, don't change a thing.*

Replace the 300 PvP reward with a regular heroic token. The slightly increased odds on event-specific tokens don't really do much, and there's what now, like 50 or so different types of event tokens? Let's simplify this. Heroic at 300, then replace the 650 and 900 tokens with a new token, the one that was skipped over when Legendary Tokens were created. Guaranteed 3* pull, with 2-3% chance of a 4.

For Story mode, replace the top 1-2 spot in sub events with the new 3* token, and replace the highest progression token (not the Legendary, the one before it) with the new 3* token as well. In Story mode, the event specific tokens make more sense, as you get increased odds on all the essential characters for that event. Leave those intact, and use them for t3-whatever in sub events and sprinkle a couple across the main progression ladder like they are now.

Add one or two of the new tokens to the season reward ladder, and make top season finishes reward some number of these instead of heroics. Maybe 5 for top 50, 10 for top 25 and 15 for t10?

Don't sell these tokens outright. Maybe add a few to heroic 40 packs if you have to, but they should largely be earned thru gameplay. Give us a reason to engage events. I'm just so over the 2* deluge...I would love to have some excitement when I receive a slot pull token. Especially later in events, like 3/4 up the ladder in Story or 900 in PvP, clicking that token and seeing the silver 2* reward screen just sucks. You had to do work for those tokens, and your 3,725th red Ares feels like no reward at all. The game has moved past this point, it's time for the players to be able to move past it as well.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

*now that I think about it, throw a few of the new token into the taco vault too. A 5 or 10 out of 300 chance to pull one, then another slot pull to see what you get isn't gonna break anything...

Mod Edit: Thread will be moved to suggestions on 10/15
2nd Mod Edit: Thread moved.

Comments

• brisashi
    brisashi Posts: 418 Mover and Shaker
    Maybe some kind of legendary token!

icon_e_wink.gif
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    brisashi wrote:

icon_e_wink.gif
    Legendaries don't have 3 stars?
  • brisashi
    brisashi Posts: 418 Mover and Shaker
    GurlBYE wrote:
    brisashi wrote:

icon_e_wink.gif

There are already an abundance of 3* covers available in DDQ to help transitioning players.
  • It is downright bizarre that we have a token that guarantees a 4* but nothing similar at the 3* level. I don't view DDQ as a relevant consideration.
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    These "epic tokens" would be an interesting addition. but i doubt they would give more than 1 per event so maybe they would change 900 token to one of these but not 650.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm in agreement here and its been mentioned before that there is a gap.

There is a token for 1* and above (standard)
    2* and above (heroic)
    4* and above (legendary)

but no 3* and above.

I understand what people are saying about DDQ being guaranteed 3* but if you don't have any 3* characters then how do you join in? It's catch 22 with DDQ. You have to have a 3* to get a 3*.

I think there should be a token created which is just for 3* and above.
  • I agree with adding such an 'rare' token for a guaranteed 3*, good for transitioners and for vets it's at least 500 ISO instead of 250.

On top of that I would like to add a sort of token exchange system. For instance 10 standard tokens = 1 heroic token or 50 heroic tokens = 1 legendary.
    At least this takes away the feeling that most rewards you receive (seen from a vet's perspective) are really not rewarding at all.

Edit: changed 'epic' to 'rare' token, thanks to OJSP for that suggestion
  • bobbyfish
    bobbyfish Posts: 299
    How about just 3*? That way the legendary pulls aren't even affected and it would be a nice milestone on the way to earning a legendary token.

I agree with the not being able to buy this as well
  • alphabeta
    alphabeta Posts: 469 Mover and Shaker
    Personally don't see the need - 3* covers are about the easiest to get hold off with any sort of semi decent play.

Looking just at tokens in isolation risks losing sight of the overall impact economically for devs - may not sound like something we should care about but if they give to much with on hand they'll have to take back somewhere else that might hurt more.

Ice has been open that $$$ is affecting possible roster slot solutions which is honest of them.

Constantly pulling 1* and 2* covers from tokens is undoubtably a pain - an option to replace them with the equivalent ISO from sale automatically would be enough for me - though maybe with ISO shortage a slight increase in value when sold would help out a bit as well.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    alphabeta wrote:
    Personally don't see the need - 3* covers are about the easiest to get hold off with any sort of semi decent play.

Looking just at tokens in isolation risks losing sight of the overall impact economically for devs - may not sound like something we should care about but if they give to much with on hand they'll have to take back somewhere else that might hurt more.

Ice has been open that $$$ is affecting possible roster slot solutions which is honest of them.

Constantly pulling 1* and 2* covers from tokens is undoubtably a pain - an option to replace them with the equivalent ISO from sale automatically would be enough for me - though maybe with ISO shortage a slight increase in value when sold would help out a bit as well.

Perhaps then a simple restructure of the tokens with the addition of a new one to represent 3* would help this issue. For example if each token gave only a chance of two tiers instead of anything above, like so :
    Standard = 1&2* only
    Heroic = 3&4* only
    Legendary = 4&5* only

That shouldn't really affect $$ into the game (you could argue it would increase sales) and it would also mean that people in the 1/2* phase aren't getting tokens that they don't need yet, and the same goes for each tier really. That structure better represents the player base in my opinion.
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    I'm at the point where even every gold I see is a disappointment. There's maybe a handful of covers I really "need". And others to finish off the likes of vision, bullseye and doc ock where they'd be nice to have but I'm not losing sleep over not having them.

Just to echo the existing sentiment in the thread. We do need a token where it's 3* or 4*. Maybe instead of the second event token in pve progression or the 3rd pvp progression event token. Pretty please? icon_e_smile.gif
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    brisashi wrote:
    GurlBYE wrote:
    brisashi wrote:

icon_e_wink.gif

There are already an abundance of 3* covers available in DDQ to help transitioning players.

The thing is to get the daily featured 3* you must need at least 1 cover to begin with.

I have to agree with the OP, especially about replacing the versus event 650 token. If you are hitting 650 in a versus event then chances are that even though you may need a certain 2* cover what would really help most is the next tier up.
  • I agree something needs to be done.

I'm at a point where all my 3 stars are fully covered, so 95% of the stuff I open is useless.

It's like playing a level 70 character in Diablo for level 30 gear.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Been playing for 4 months and once I started making the transition I immediately noticed the need for this. First I couldn't do the DDQ because I didn't have the character. So I start collecting every three star character, now I get a new cover every forty day and odd pull here and there. Essentially I'm still a 2 star team because there so many 3 stars you can't focus on building anyone up Consistently like 2 stars.

Oh, and let's not forget how getting 5 star drastically scales you when you're still building up 3 star. "Hey awesome, you got a rare character, now you've got to fight like one of the big boys even though you're nowhere near ready and getting middling 3 star covers is extremely hard."

If they're not going to do a token, then they need to make a new prologue game that offers such rewards.
  • rawfsu
    rawfsu Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    I agree it's about time to let veteran players bypass 2*'s completely. I'm just tired of seeing useless 2* token rewards. I think it's also lame I'm at Day 549 and 1* recruit tokens are still showing up as daily rewards. Seriously?
  • n25philly
    n25philly Posts: 426 Mover and Shaker
    alphabeta wrote:

Are we playing the same game? I'm trying to transition to 3* and it's a ****. I play with two accounts (1 mobile and 1 pc since we can't sync the platforms) and between the two over the three months (before the anniversary) I got a whopping two covers that were above 2* one of which was the thing which is useless right now as on each account I only have one 3* that is a higher lever then the 2* so 4* characters are just going to make a mess of things.

Not everyone has the time to play all day so progress can be slow especially when we get stuck with 2* after 2*. Something like this would be really helpful. It makes no sense that transitioning to 4* should be easier that 3*. Hell, lately I've been getting more 4* covers that I get 3*. Even if it's not a guaranteed 3* even a reward token that is say maybe a 50% shot at one would be a huge improvement. It would be good for the devs as there are enough 3* that odds are these tokens would push people to buy hp to keep up with the roster slots for what they get.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    n25philly wrote:
    It makes no sense that transitioning to 4* should be easier that 3*.
    Then it's a very good thing it isn't easier.
  • n25philly
    n25philly wrote:
    It makes no sense that transitioning to 4* should be easier that 3*.
    Then it's a very good thing it isn't easier.

I must be really lucky then since I'm getting more 4*'s than 3's.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    If all you're basing that on is a small sample of token draws, then yeah, that's unrealistic. If you compare the number of guaranteed 3* covers available over the course of a season to the number of guaranteed 4*, along with the odds of drawing 3* and 4* covers for non-legendary tokens, you'll see that 3*s are vastly easier to acquire.
  • n25philly
    If all you're basing that on is a small sample of token draws, then yeah, that's unrealistic. If you compare the number of guaranteed 3* covers available over the course of a season to the number of guaranteed 4*, along with the odds of drawing 3* and 4* covers for non-legendary tokens, you'll see that 3*s are vastly easier to acquire.

Garbage odds are garbage odds. I never get anything but 2* or 4* from any event tokens. Hell, I got more 3*'s from standards. Don't have the time or roster to be successful is pvp. It's rare to be able to get the guaranteed characters, and there are enough 3*'s and with not wanting to really get rid of the 4*'s to keep up anyway. Not saying that the transition should be fast or anything like that, but it's hard to stay motivated to stick with the game when progress is 0. I don't see any reason why providing some help as a bad thing.

Doesn't even have to be a guarantee, but maybe something with more reasonable odds as a reward (not purchasable) would be really good move.