Teams that beat the BigG (Please read the OP.)

Ctenko
Ctenko Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
edited October 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Well since the event is basically over, I wanted to try a little experiment, and to finally be positive about something. I just saw someone asking about Teams that could actually beat Galactus, after round 6. S if you could consistently beat the BigG with a team, without force quitting. Or if you could squeak victories out, tell us what team and how, so we can try better stuff the next time, or refine your success. I had success though limited, with two teams.

IF-XForce-Switch +2Blue/Purple

I feel A lot of people used something like this or the Winfinite of Charlie's Angels. With it I could win 1/6 times, favorable board state was big, but this was pure Luck Sac. Match a Purple instantly, Then try and clear Two ecountdown.png . If that Let G absorb his Mana and gain Switch's Blue power (assuming it didn't corner itself get locked in by Cosmics, or match itself) Fire Purple powers till you had no more, Then Surgical. After that it was around the accept your fate time. So retreat and save the wipe.

C.Marvel-HT-Cyclops. +2Red/Yellow +2All

I never used this team without the Alls, so I stopped using them pretty fast. Method was pretty simple. Match Red. Match Anything. Then Match a Yellow so C.Marvel eats the damage. Since that was usually the only colour she would tank as she can't be max level for this, Or G won't do enough damage to trigger in Round Six or Seven. Get Carol slapped up by BigG tiles. She'll Absorb three times. Getting you a total of 22 Red and 13 Black. You should also have 7 Yellow. Fire Yellow to make Red Tiles. Fire Black to deal hopefully 8kish? Mine is more like 4k. Fire Johnny's redflag.png 1,2,3 For some 16k. Hope cascades occured, Due to Cyclops Yellow. If they did do what else you can. If not. Retreat because once he absorbs the energy on the board you die.

So Neither of these Strats resulted in a kill. But they could do very decent Damage.

So, did anyone have routine success? There are people claiming they got the Legendary.

Comments

• rossmon
    rossmon Posts: 130 Tile Toppler
    lol, everybody is afraid to post so it doesn't get worked around......

<crickets chirping>
  • Dystrophy
    Dystrophy Posts: 10 Just Dropped In
    Patch + IF + OBW. I actually didn't have a terrible w/l ratio so it must be pretty good, even with my IF not being super high level.
  • nwman
    nwman Posts: 331 Mover and Shaker
    Join line. My id is in my signature. Lots of tips there.

Devs cheat and will use this thread to make the event harder.

Best team is bagman yelena and oh any third really for the purpose of devs needing to know.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Why are people nervous about posting things now? I get that pre-event, thought experiments can highlight things for the devs. But now they have the game data. Details of every match are reported to them. They know more than us about which tactics were most successful. Am I missing something?
  • nwman
    nwman Posts: 331 Mover and Shaker
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Why are people nervous about posting things now? I get that pre-event, thought experiments can highlight things for the devs. But now they have the game data. Details of every match are reported to them. They know more than us about which tactics were most successful. Am I missing something?

How it played out. We already said more than we wanted to and lots of players are anticipating the worst next round.

What was said that wasn't or won't be used against us?
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't blame anyone for not posting, especially if this event is set to go out again.

Its crazy that there are such focused strategies revolving around like 4-6 characters in game and even those strategies aren't 100%.
  • Ctenko
    Ctenko Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
    Ctenko ... claiming? Plenty of players got the token_legendary.png ... the number must have at least 3 digits.
    Yep, till I see something like that screenshot. I mean people say anything really, after the fact.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Essentials are going to change, so I assume strategies will change as well.
  • ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    I got the Legendary and a black KP that I really needed. One of my unicorns.

I agree with the other posters saying that strategy discussion is not a good idea because the devs might change things, but the team that I used I got from the boards.

Once you found the trick, it's definitely repeatable and doesn't require any 4* characters. In fact, I daresay it was easier to do serious damage in round 8 compared to round 7.

The essential nodes were more painful at the end.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    ZeroKarma wrote:

I agree with the other posters saying that strategy discussion is not a good idea because the devs might change things, but the team that I used I got from the boards...

Well, I would think hey have logs and data that can show them what teams are used by specific players during Galactus matches. I doubt we would be keeping information from them.
  • Hello,
    DeadpoolsTacos did round 8 with 1 day to the end. Noone of us reached 1.25mil at that point even tho at the end of the event more than 10 people scored Legendary token.

Team for rounds 1-7: XF + IF + any boardshaker

If you want screens PM me on line ID: ugetnocookie.

Cheers!
  • My alliance didn't take him down, but we did have fairly consistent strategies to kill him in the end. Sadly none of that was actually fun. I've informed my alliance I won't be taking part in any round 2 of this and am happy to post the teams I had success with. I find it hilarious that they have managed to foster such a them against us mindset in the player base from a single event.

Until round 8 the follow was working for me very consistenly :
    SW, Mnmgs OBW boosts bp/ rainbow
    You are happy to let 1 countdown go off so you have AP to drain. Collect blue and purple. Once you can delay with blue and generate blue and red with purple its gravy. With cunning placement you can clear a lot of tiles just using Mnmgs threee targetted blues, and once you get enough red for magnetic flux you should be riding enough AP to keep this train going as long as needed. Its definitely not a 3-4 turn fight like this.

Round 8 things are different 1 turn countdowns mean you need a miracle for that team to get rolling. Instead:
    Hulk, GSBW, PX (b/p rainbow and 2*storm lighnting strike teamup)
    Have hulk tank countdowns going off making 4 lovely anger tiles. Fill the board with green and probably a match 5. which geneates purple to make more match 5's win. If you don't have enough purple shake that board and pray.
    I don't have a covered PX but had a some success with a ghetto team of Hulk 2storm cmag, get hit, lighnting strike, use AP you gained and pray a bit, take big hitting TU's

Conspiracy theorists will now be expecting a boosted hulk, PX and Mnmgs for the rerun. Thing is its not fun, and being told you should lose is less fun. Pre-event I was on the fence between an Asgard Treasure and a Stark Salary. Post event I'm at best taking a break and at worst quitting.
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2015
    Here is the big secret:

Hulk/PX/GSBW

Like the above poster said, let hulk get hit, create 5 matches (PX creates purple) use GSBW purple to create more 5 matches. If the board is **** and you are going to die, force close the game.

SW/PX/GSBW also works, but not at round 8 since your time decreases. Good luck!
  • kewlguirarist
    kewlguirarist Posts: 44 Just Dropped In
    I used Cap Marvel/Human Torch/Wolverine XF in R8
  • mgallop
    mgallop Posts: 120
    Dauthi wrote:
    Here is the big secret:

Hulk/PX/GSBW

Like the above poster said, let hulk get hit, create 5 matches (PX creates purple) use GSBW to create more. If the board is **** and you are going to do force close the game.

SW/PX/GSBW also works, but not at round 8 since your time decreases. Good luck!

So, I was browsing the forum and saw a relevant, and not at all made up post in another thread.
    FakeIceIX wrote:
    After hearing what many of you have been saying on the forums, in complaint about the Galactus event, we are making a change to make things easier for round 2. We are still going to have the same basic mechanic of Galactus collecting AP, and if he reaches a certain point destroying the opposing team and the board, but we realized some of the other decisions we made were having unintended consequences. So, Galactus will no longer do any damage when his countdowns expire, but will instead create one more cosmic tile. This should make the next run of Galactus more fun and less health-pack consuming for everyone.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Our alliance didn't make it past round 5 so the Hulk strategy didn't work. Hulk wouldn't take enough damage for his Anger to kick in. Instead I went for the classic 2* combo of Mags, Storm and Hawkeye. Boost BP, RY and BG. Hope for a couple of early purple matches to create some blue match 5's to trigger Hawkeye and feed Storms blue. Hope to get some good cascades to fill Mags red and Storms green but do all that in 3 turns as by turn 4 you are dead.
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    I got into a groove with 3*Mags (maxed), X-Force wolvie (192) and Loki (maxed). 6 boosts each round (Bla/Gre, Blu/Pur and R/Y) and prayed to RNGesus for good starting board so I could fill out my purple/red/blue prior to G filling up on AP. I then just kept shuffling the board around.

My Px only has 3 covers so probably not viable.
  • Coppertouret
    Coppertouret Posts: 169 Tile Toppler
    Xforce obw torch.
    Boosted all ap, 2bp, 2bp

hope for a couple purple or blue matches before first cd. Gather red and black. Steal ap from cosmic tiles. Xf black on blue tiles torch red for the win.

I only lost 4 times playing every reset. We made it half way into round 6 worth a very non willing Alliance. Fell short of personal progression by about 1 whole reset of points due to lack of points in earlier rounds we were stuck on for a while. Not thrilled. I barely lost and even if I wouldn't have, I still wouldn't have made legendary token points.
  • if/xforce/cmags. +2ap for all 6 colors. shake the board til hes dead or theres no more moves. usually at least 2 kills and a couple good partials.

i broke 900k with no force quits and that was my team through round 6 into round 7 where my alliance fizzled out. my prof x is 3/0/0 so didnt even try him/hulk/etc.
  • ZeroKarma wrote:

I agree with the other posters saying that strategy discussion is not a good idea because the devs might change things, but the team that I used I got from the boards...

Well, I would think hey have logs and data that can show them what teams are used by specific players during Galactus matches. I doubt we would be keeping information from them.

Hiding winning strategies at this point only serves d3 as more players would be hitting the wall and pay significantly more to survive. The devs now have all the raw data from the event, they know far more than we do and can answer questions like: what was the most effective team, what team yielded less health packs, what character caused the most damage to Galactus etc...

Based on that data, they will make our lives even more miserable next time, not because someone shared winning strategies on the forums.

And based on self-reported results, it seems more teams closed level 8 than during Ultron... So guess what that's going to tell developers... Yep "event was too easy, let's shuffle boosted chars a bit and reduce % of teams making it by half"

I got the legendary token with hulk+PX+gsbw